As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

determinism

• TabascoTabasco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tabasco wrote: »
    I really can't see how free will can exist. I do believe that humans are all just animals with no souls as well, so it's a pretty easy belief to have.

so you are sixteen

That's silly. When I was 16, most people I knew were religious and believed in souls. When you are younger, you are more inclined to believe in imaginary things as far as I can tell.

no I am fairly certain that most adolescents these days go through a period of "we're just animals and biology is my religion" before they begin to find deeper meaning later in life

yes, little kids are more likely to believe in imaginary things, but most hardcore atheists I know are teenagers

although I will grant that things were probably the other way around forty years ago

I'm only 24 dude. I also find plenty of deep and beautiful meaning in life. I have just never seen evidence for the existence of a soul. I also fail to see how we are anything other than the most complex lifeforms on the planet. Why is life any less beautiful or meaningful that way? Simplicity is truth and truth is beauty after all.

Tabasco on
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shank, EitS is amazing and all, but I think it's pointless trying to argue that point against someone else's musical tastes.

yes I know you goof

I don't expect Meiz to go "oh fuck you're right I forgot"

Charles Kinbote on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    illinoise.jpg

is that really that album's cover art?

it's hideous

#pipe on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Shank, EitS is amazing and all, but I think it's pointless trying to argue that point against someone else's musical tastes.

Look

This is me

I am the guy who enjoyed making fun of post-rock and was like what the fuck is this shit literally six months ago

How Strange, Innocence, is in my top five albums right now

Yes I am surprised by your admission, but in the end, it's still just

OPINIONS

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited August 2009
    t Pipe: Yes it is. It's a nice record, but I prefer The Avalanche I think.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited August 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    I really can't see how free will can exist. I do believe that humans are all just animals with no souls as well, so it's a pretty easy belief to have.

so you are sixteen

That's silly. When I was 16, most people I knew were religious and believed in souls. When you are younger, you are more inclined to believe in imaginary things as far as I can tell.

no I am fairly certain that most adolescents these days go through a period of "we're just animals and biology is my religion" before they begin to find deeper meaning later in life

yes, little kids are more likely to believe in imaginary things, but most hardcore atheists I know are teenagers

although I will grant that things were probably the other way around forty years ago
    how delightfully arrogant of you to suppose that hardcore atheists are missing a 'deeper meaning'

well I guess I mean the kinds of atheists who are like "fuck religion/spirituality is retarded and we're all just chemical processes and science is as deep as anything gets"

the guys who are really vitriolic about their atheism

that did sound pretty arrogant, I'm sorry :[
    you don't really mean they're missing a deeper meaning at all

you mean that they're being brash

yes

I mean I do think there's a correlation between brash atheists and vehemently denying the possibility of any "meaning" in life

and as these brash atheists get older they begin to feel that this sort of lifestyle isn't benefiting them as much as they think it does and they begin to (almost grudgingly) turn from their strictly scientific set of beliefs

maybe this is just a weird localized thing that only I have experienced though

Charles Kinbote on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009

so you are sixteen

how delightfully arrogant of you to suppose that hardcore atheists are missing a 'deeper meaning'

well I guess I mean the kinds of atheists who are like "fuck religion/spirituality is retarded and we're all just chemical processes and science is as deep as anything gets"

yes

I mean I do think there's a correlation between brash atheists and vehemently denying the possibility of any "meaning" in life

and as these brash atheists get older they begin to feel that this sort of lifestyle isn't benefiting them as much as they think it does and they begin to (almost grudgingly) turn from their strictly scientific set of beliefs

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

bongi on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

so you are sixteen

yes

all shank is describing is a person becoming more open minded as they age

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009

so you are sixteen

yes

Right but I don't really understand what 'strictly scientific beliefs' means and how far they slide. Maybe I'm being too philosophical.

edit:I also have a personal pet peeve with misuse of the term 'open minded'.

bongi on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    man these hipsters

even their cover art is ironic

#pipe on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    or maybe you're be not too philisophical enough

PiptheFair on
    edited August 2009

so you are sixteen

yes

Right but I don't really understand what 'strictly scientific beliefs' means and how far they slide. Maybe I'm being too philosophical.

It means people who believe that we are bags of meat that are born and when we die our consciousness is extinguished and there's no such things as souls or energy or God or any greater meaning

people who ground the entirety of their beliefs in science

Charles Kinbote on
    edited August 2009

so you are sixteen

yes

edit:I also have a personal pet peeve with misuse of the term 'open minded'.
    care to elucidate

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    allow me to share my opinions on this topic:

kitties.png

I guess these are close enough to the jism police.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if bongi is going to explain what I think he is, I will <3 him

Abracadaniel on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    if bongi is going to explain what I think he is, I will <3 him

from 50 yards anyway

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    It means people who believe that we are bags of meat that are born and when we die our consciousness is extinguished and there's no such things as souls or energy or God or any greater meaning

I ground my beliefs in my experience and I still don't believe there are souls.

tBemis: I don't like it when 'open-minded' is used to mean 'happy to accept wishful thinking and conjecture' rather than 'open to having their mind changed'. For example, it's not 'open minded' to believe in ghosts, it's irrational. On the other hand, if you accept someone's point of view, and adopt it, based on a strong argument or evidence for it, even if you have to reject a preconception, that's open minded. That's how I see it, in any case.

bongi on
    edited August 2009
    nah it's most like 8000 miles or so dogg

bongi there's an excellent video from. . .I can't recall who, who goes into that in more detail. Open-mindedness is no good without critical thinking skills.

Abracadaniel on
    edited August 2009

tBemis: I don't like it when 'open-minded' is used to mean 'happy to accept wishful thinking and conjecture' rather than 'open to having their mind changed'. For example, it's not 'open minded' to believe in ghosts, it's irrational. That's how I see it, in any case.
    oh i thought you meant how i used it

yes i agree with that pretty completely

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    edited August 2009

yes but I also haven't seen behavior in you that would indicate that you're the type of vitriolic atheist who believes that religion is worthless and spirituality is unconditionally stupid

Charles Kinbote on
    edited August 2009
    Found it! It's by Dawkins, who can be kind of an ass, but it's a good video to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI&feature=player_embedded

Abracadaniel on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009

yes but I also haven't seen behavior in you that would indicate that you're the type of vitriolic atheist who believes that religion is worthless and spirituality is unconditionally stupid
    Ah, so you think it's specifically the vitriolic physicalists who tend to later renounce physicalism?

bongi on
    edited August 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    nah it's most like 8000 miles or so dogg

bongi there's an excellent video from. . .I can't recall who, who goes into that in more detail. Open-mindedness is no good without critical thinking skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

edit: oops
    oh dang it's by dawkins? that guy is a dick

#pipe on
    edited August 2009

Ah, so you think it's specifically the vitriolic physicalists who tend to later renounce physicalism?

well that's what I'm referring to

that as people grow older they are more likely to go from die-hard atheist/physicalists (I don't know that term) to a more spiritual or at least less vitriolic point of view

Charles Kinbote on
    edited August 2009
    that is clearly kitty ectoplasm

#pipe on
    edited August 2009
    Bongi I think you might be over-thinking what Shank said.

Shank is just saying there are people who believe in a certain thing vehemently for a long time then come to realise that maybe, just maybe, they weren't so right all along, and they shift their viewpoints accordingly.

edit: In this case the the "thing" is atheism or what have you.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shank, that might be true in the case of teenagers who take on those atheist beliefs as a teenage rebellion of their upbringing, but I doubt anybody who decides their are an atheist based on their own critical thinking is going to become more spiritual just by aging.

Ten on
    edited August 2009

well that's what I'm referring to

that as people grow older they are more likely to go from die-hard atheist/physicalists (I don't know that term) to a more spiritual or at least less vitriolic point of view
    it's just a more advanced form of materialism, essentially

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicalist

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just renounce all of my beliefs once every other year and start over with a new set.

Metalbourne on
    edited August 2009
    Ten wrote: »
    Shank, that might be true in the case of teenagers who take on those atheist beliefs as a teenage rebellion of their upbringing, but I doubt anybody who decides their are an atheist based on their own critical thinking is going to become more spiritual just by aging.

I believe it's true of teenagers who take the beliefs on even if it's not "teenage rebellion"

critical thinking changes an awful lot between fifteen and thirty

Charles Kinbote on
    edited August 2009
    Also people learn and experience things as they go through life.

I guess that plays a part in shaping your views.

Huh.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    I am sorry Shank but I still think your claim still comes off as more than a bit arrogant.

bongi on
    edited August 2009
    I am sorry Shank but I still think your claim still comes off as more than a bit arrogant.

it's not a claim, it's an observation

nothing arrogant about an observation

Charles Kinbote on
    edited August 2009

Well, it is Shank we're talking about here.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009

it's not a claim, it's an observation

nothing arrogant about an observation
    That's true. I guess I'm just extrapolating from your observation to "and they're better off for it!". Sorry.

bongi on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, but my point is that somebody who bases their beliefs on evidence and the scientific method is not going to start believing in something unless that life experience provides them with that evidence. And by evidence I mean something that stands up to the rigors of the scientific method. Somebody who is convinced by anything else obviously didn't understand the scientific method to begin with.

Edit: I am so slow, that was responding to TB way back there

Ten on
    edited August 2009
    i'm forced to agree

you're forming a hypothesis about how a vast group behaves based on localized anecdotes and your own presumably deep understanding of how critical thinking develops as you age, even past the age you yourself have attained

edit: i suppose you were merely sharing the anecdotes and speculating, you just had some forceful language goin' on

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    edited August 2009
    i'm forced to agree

you're forming a hypothesis about how a vast group behaves based on localized anecdotes and your own presumably deep understanding of how critical thinking develops as you age, even past the age you yourself have attained

uh, no I'm not

I'm saying that most vitriolically atheist teenagers I know have become significantly less atheistic as they have grown older

there's no hypothesis about a vast group in there

Charles Kinbote on
    edited August 2009
    Ten wrote: »
    Yes, but my point is that somebody who bases their beliefs on evidence and the scientific method is not going to start believing in something unless that life experience provides them with that evidence. And by evidence I mean something that stands up to the rigors of the scientific method. Somebody who is convinced by anything else obviously didn't understand the scientific method to begin with.

Edit: I am so slow, that was responding to TB way back there

Yes I see your point I suppose.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is this the thread where we learn to hate each other?

Probad on