As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What I learned from video games.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, the first few games which stick out in my mind are:

COD4 - which taught me about numerous weapons (names, design, functions) and that you don't mess with the SAS.

Age of Empires - This game actually had an in-depth library for every unit and building.

Pokemon - aside from helping my imagination and my tactical mind, there are those museums which have real world facts. Not to mention many Pokemon are expy's of real-world creatures.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I learned that war never changes.

I learned that war has changed.

That kind of sharp disagreement of ideologies calls for WAR!

War... it's fantastic!

I actualy did learn quite a lot of military hardware names, some of the nato alphabet (the rest I learned out of my own free will, it's always fun to use it in conversations^^) and some history through certain games

oh how could I forget, i preaty much learned english from games

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dunxco wrote: »
    T-bolt wrote: »
    I learned how to type from old Sierra PC games.
    I was going to say this... especially the original King's Quest engine Sierra adventures where it didn't pause when you started typing. You had to be pretty quick.

Good lord people. I learned to type by 'playing' DOS prompt.

I used to write stories on DOS prompt as a kid, and felt so invalidated after hitting "Enter" to see "Bad Command or File Name". D:

Yes I did this too. And this was a wayyy old version of DOS which allowed you like 30 characters. Still took me like an hour. I called it Black Story Thing.

Edit: Because of the black screen, not... oh you know.

I typed: Give me the password to the pentagon. On the C-64 command prompt. Didn't work, oddly enough.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Enosh20 wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »

I learned that war has changed.

That kind of sharp disagreement of ideologies calls for WAR!

War... it's fantastic!

I actualy did learn quite a lot of military hardware names, some of the nato alphabet (the rest I learned out of my own free will, it's always fun to use it in conversations^^) and some history through certain games

oh how could I forget, i preaty much learned english from games

wait whats that from?

hot shots? part deux maybe?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Video games taught me that being mean to people can be amusing for about a half hour, while being nice to them rarely stops feeling good.

Especially when being nice gets you more money and experience points?

I'm not one of those crazy people who thinks society is a big conspiracy or anything, but really, these games are designed to reward nice more than naughty. In an ideal world we all really would gain more from being polite than from being ruthless, but this is not always true in real life.

I'm talking more about games where being mean involves trapping people into a small area and then launching roller coasters at them.

I'm not ever going to even try to be evil in Planescape: Torment, though. I doubt I'd last five minutes.

jothki on
  • Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

wait whats that from?

hot shots? part deux maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVESMxs4rbA

we have a winner^^

Enosh20 on
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Video games taught me that being mean to people can be amusing for about a half hour, while being nice to them rarely stops feeling good.

I'm not one of those crazy people who thinks society is a big conspiracy or anything, but really, these games are designed to reward nice more than naughty. In an ideal world we all really would gain more from being polite than from being ruthless, but this is not always true in real life.

I'm talking more about games where being mean involves trapping people into a small area and then launching roller coasters at them.

I'm not ever going to even try to be evil in Planescape: Torment, though. I doubt I'd last five minutes.

Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Unruly visitors will be drowned

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TacOps v4 taught me about Reverse Inclination Defense, probing attacks, Bradley IFVs are a death trap for your infantry and gave me my first maxim of modern mechanized warfare; If you can see it, it's in range, if it's in range, it's dead.

Drake on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scabies wrote: »

Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Unruly visitors will be drowned
    roller coaster tycoon as well...

never set the launch PSI of a vertical ride higher than recommended settings.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zephos' avatar reminds me of another
    While skiing
    a: snowboarders are dicks, all of them
    b: the slope goes on forever. your life does not.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gaems has teched my ho to wirt en inglishes

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that it's a terrible night to have a curse.

I've also learned there is dispute - MGS4 told me that war has changed, but Fallout told me that war never changes.

I also learned that love can bloom on a battlefield.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned there are some parents out there that have no idea violent videogames exist. They believe they're all bleeping toys as tame as Pac-Man or Mario and are horrified when Junior gets a hold of a GTA game.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned there are some parents out there that have no idea violent videogames exist. They believe they're all bleeping toys as tame as Pac-Man or Mario and are horrified when Junior gets a hold of a GTA game.

i once had a little kid on xbox live go "What, you're how old and you STILL play video games!? You're a loser!" and im like "Is that something weird? Who raised you? You know that M for mature symbol, yeah mature means 18+, which is adult." People are stupid ignorant sometimes.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

i once had a little kid on xbox live go "What, you're how old and you STILL play video games!? You're a loser!" and im like "Is that something weird? Who raised you? You know that M for mature symbol, yeah mature means 18+, which is adult." People are stupid ignorant sometimes.

Do bear in mind that most games with the M logo are far from mature. Swearing, sex and violence are not mature themes. They're gratuitous in 90% of video games. Something like Postal which has always been a hard 18 certificate in the UK is certainly not a game I would be proud to say only adults could play. but this is a whole other discussion for a whole other thread some other time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Online games have taught me how to type fast.
    Talking on Vent has given me less reservations of speaking to people.
    Video games in general have made me a "natural" at driving as my mother put it when she was first teaching me to drive so long ago.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Beyond M for Mature, I don't get that. Is this kid looking ahead in his life and actively planning to stop playing video games at some age of maturity?

When I was his age (and even now) I was terrified at the prospect of being 85 in a nursing home and being unable to see the screen properly or remember which town I was supposed to go to next. Never crossed my mind that I should stop doing what I like for some reason.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that travelling to Oregon is suicide.

Also, I was navigating DOS before I could properly spell, so I'm sure that had some influence.

Dir

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Do bear in mind that most games with the M logo are far from mature. Swearing, sex and violence are not mature themes. They're gratuitous in 90% of video games. Something like Postal which has always been a hard 18 certificate in the UK is certainly not a game I would be proud to say only adults could play. but this is a whole other discussion for a whole other thread some other time.

Or you're just not thinking of it the right context. A Mature rating more or less means it's meant to be played by mature gamers, as in, people who have aged to a certain point. That's all. You're looking too much into it, I think.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

This guy are sick.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

This guy are sick.

*YAWN*

I feel asleep.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scabies wrote: »
    Has no one here played The Incredible Machine or Gizmos and Gadgets?
    Our elementary school GT Program essentially gave me two days a week to play with LEGO Technix and these two games. As a result, I dropped behind in Math and History -.- BUT can dissect things by looking at them.
    *edit* VeritasVR seems to know what Incredible Machine was about ^^

Gizmos and Gadgets taught me to skim through text to look for the most important information quickly. (The vehicle workshop of the game)

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Or you're just not thinking of it the right context. A Mature rating more or less means it's meant to be played by mature gamers, as in, people who have aged to a certain point. That's all. You're looking too much into it, I think.

One of my most facepalm inducing moments last week was when I was with a kid I tutor. The kid is 8 and has an older brother of about 9. While good at math, the student is really lazy when writing so I have to encourage him to think about stuff that's pretty basic. In this case, he had written various adjectives about watermelon, such as the color and size, and had to be reminded that they have a taste. Once he writes down "sweet" on the list, he starts talking about/naming the main characters from GTA San Andreas because apparently his 9 year old brother has been playing it.

In the form I fill out each session for elementary school kids that let's us give updates to the parents, I added a note about how this was a bad idea unless they would also let the 9 year old watch R rated movies after I described the day's classwork.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learn a few things about networking every time I go to a LAN party to play some games.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned a whole lot about configuring DOS from making boot disks to try and play Origin games.

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nothing can go wrong from letting kids play with and battle powerful monsters, it's the adults who can not be trusted.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

But Mr. Snake assured me that war has changed. :?

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't really think of anything for this thread. I guess I learned what a halberd was, but there's gotta be some other stuff that leached into my brain after all these years.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DebaserZbs wrote: »

The ramblings of an old man with a silly moustache

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    To anyone citing Incredible Machine for anything...look, I played that game a lot too. I don't know if it really taught me anything, seeing as I have any of those things lying around in real life.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TIM (The Incredible Machine) taught me a bit about physics and trial and error. Also, creative problem solving.

Really fucking creative problem solving. Almost MacGuyver levels.

Ok, I've got a conveyor belt, a fan, a light, a fulcrum, a board and a rubberband. What the fuck am I suppose to do?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    TIM (The Incredible Machine) taught me a bit about physics and trial and error. Also, creative problem solving.

Really fucking creative problem solving. Almost MacGuyver levels.

Ok, I've got a conveyor belt, a fan, a light, a fulcrum, a board and a rubberband. What the fuck am I suppose to do?

Yeah I guess...but then it also just leads to stuff like There, I Fixed It (http://thereifixedit.com/). I can't really think of stuff I've jury rigged though. I'd like to think video games helped me to get smart or at least more creative.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that i'm too nice to be a dick in games where you have a choice. This is especially bad in Bioware RPGs, as i'm potentially missing out half the game. This is really sad, they aren't even real people and i can't bring myself to rape/steal/pillage/etc.

What will happen when i have the opportunity to do so in real life? I need to kick a hobo or something.

StopAndSwish on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Obsessively playing Civilization and Paradox games makes International Relations Theory easy to grasp.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Playing Secret of Monkey Island taught me who Adam Smith was, and why his Invisible Hand matters.

Which is pretty much why I finished those econ classes and got my retail management.

Getting my degree in retail management got me my job.

Clearly, if I need to step up to the next level, I need to play more Monkey Island.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't fed the yaogui!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    LA:LA: United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The jokes already been made but...

oregon.png

LA: on
    I lurk. That's it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    DebaserZbs wrote: »

The ramblings of an old man with a silly moustache

I trust Hellboy over Guyver.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In the form I fill out each session for elementary school kids that let's us give updates to the parents, I added a note about how this was a bad idea unless they would also let the 9 year old watch R rated movies after I described the day's classwork.

Uh, ever think that maybe they do? In which case they now probably think you're a patronising judgemental cock, but que sera sera.

Leitner on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if they let their kids watch R rated movies then who gives a shit what they think?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif