As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Demo Real

PROXPROX Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Artist's Corner
Edit: Got it it to work
http://jeffrey-chuang.com/

Im redoing some renderings, and am going back into sequences.

I intend to get rid of confusing cuts and get the video to be cleaner.

need to change:
-Text needs to be enlarged due to viewing size
-Some pictures need more screen time.
-Some fades too abrupt

PROX on

• Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As a quick solution? Upload it to a host like Vimeo then use their embedded code.

I poked around in the images directory. Linking directly to http://rhkstudios.iseenothing.com/images/demoflv.swf seems to work.
    <embed src="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" flashvars="&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Clear_Skin_3&streamName=images/demoreel3&autoPlay=false&autoRewind=false" quality="high" scale="noscale" width="636" height="356" name="FLVPlayer" salign="LT" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" />

And maybe changing that 'images/demoreel3' to 'images/demoreel3.flv'?

Synthetic Orange on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    whew ok i got it to work. been up all night. thanks man. Turns out i didnt upload some player components.

edit: gah i need to increase font size. hard to read. tired. will fix later. Does anybody know of some good encoders? im gettin artifacts all over.

PROX on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh, been awhile since I used flv, but doesnt an encoder come with flash itself?

Again, I've pretty much abandoned encoding my own stuff when I can just upload a pretty decent quality video to Vimeo and they worry about all that stuff for me.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Isaac_FeltonIsaac_Felton Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can't help you with the encoding I had trouble getting a decent compression vs quality on youtube and vimeo so gave up! But I like your 3d - nice low poly modeling with clean topology. Texturing is good too and colourful reminds me of the first Grandia! Are you looking for work in game art?

Isaac_Felton on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THREADS NEED ART

Metalbourne on
    edited August 2009
    yes I'm trying to get a job at Blizzard. Can I link the flv here?

DOn't think can.

PROX on
    edited August 2009
    THREADS NEED ART

Metalbourne on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What he's trying to say is: that's beside the point- you could just as easily have asked in the questions or chat threads without creating a new thread; especially when you're looking for technical help that doesn't have much to do with the art.

Your question gets answered and when you're all ready for delivery, you create a thread if you want crits.

I like your designs though.

Tam on
    edited August 2009
    Well yeah, I wanted you guys to look at my reel. Sorry I can't link it here.

I know the rules! I've been on this forum for 5 years!

PROX on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    What he's trying to say is: that's beside the point- you could just as easily have asked in the questions or chat threads without creating a new thread; especially when you're looking for technical help that doesn't have much to do with the art.

I don't think we need to be so anally rententive about the forum rules, there's plenty to art-crit on that as a reel (font, pacing, music) and it's not exactly like Prox is some douche off the street doing a hit and run.

Personally Prox, I like it, but the res is agonisingly low, which in turn is making that font even worse. Additionally that retro 80's computer font has always sucked ass.

Mustang on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You seriously put "Level 80 gnome mage?" :\

I'd also agree that the resolution is waaay too low. I'd make a slightly higher-rez version, and a high-rez version...and offer a choice. I've heard that having two versions with different resolutions is a pretty popular option, and for good reason.

I also feel like some of the camera movements are a little too fast to really appreciate everything...especially during the run-through of the tower. It seems to speed through at moments.

NightDragon on
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »

I don't think we need to be so anally rententive about the forum rules, there's plenty to art-crit on that as a reel (font, pacing, music) and it's not exactly like Prox is some douche off the street doing a hit and run.

Personally Prox, I like it, but the res is agonisingly low, which in turn is making that font even worse. Additionally that retro 80's computer font has always sucked ass.

You see, I think Prox should be especially held to the rules because of the fact that he's a forum regular. He knows the rules and even more than the rules thread, the behavior of the regulars is what dictates the acceptable norms of the forum.

Metalbourne on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Narc!

Mustang on
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Narc!

You really want to come in here and bust a newb's ass and he breaks out the "but prox did it" card? Fuck that noise.

Metalbourne on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck you Prox!

Am I doing it right?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited August 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    Fuck you Prox!

Am I doing it right?

No matter what the other forumers say, you're my favorite.

Metalbourne on
    edited August 2009
    You seriously put "Level 80 gnome mage?" :\

I'd also agree that the resolution is waaay too low. I'd make a slightly higher-rez version, and a high-rez version...and offer a choice. I've heard that having two versions with different resolutions is a pretty popular option, and for good reason.

I also feel like some of the camera movements are a little too fast to really appreciate everything...especially during the run-through of the tower. It seems to speed through at moments.

I fixed some of the camera movements. as for the resolution, I haven't found a way to get the compression working well. The straight AVI file is something like 256 megs. I need to find a good free encoder.

The file i render out in is pretty smooth. Im doing it at 720 x 360.

The problem is the flash player and FLV compression.

edit:

And yes I seriously did put that there. This was developed specifically for blizzard. It is my geek badge of honor. I've played the game for 5 years including the beta. I really want to get on that team and be a part of making something I really enjoy, despite the critics out there.

Mustang: you are right. it is hard to read at the rez I am making it at. I need to use a better font. Computer font is hard to read.

PROX on
  • MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you work for blizzard and get them to have pre BC pvp servers with lvl 40 mounts, including mangle and the new catform/bearform models, I'll be ever so grateful.

I didn't bother reading any of it cuz of the font. The music was cool though, what is it?

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dont really understand. If you're trying to get a job at Blizzard, I dont think copying their style completely is going to do the trick. I understand your logic, but if I was doing the hiring at Blizzard I would see no reason to hire you because you bring nothing new to them. They already have people making the kind of stuff you showed in that video.

Unless they want just another mindless modeler or something.

TheMorningStar on
    edited August 2009
    I was told to do this at GDC, making props and environments that looks like they would fit in the game. That's the information I have. It's also all over their website too. You have to know the Blizzard style, must be able to work in the Blizzard Style, etc.

Being able to follow art direction is key, and I wanted to highlight that. Also my teacher who works there has been coaching me. What did he say was most valuable: Someone they could just plug in and get to work right away.

PROX on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GO PROXY GO PROX

etc

etc

~Edit: This is purdie from the now dead CA vent, how goes it madame le Prox?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited August 2009
    The road is long and harsh beset with perils.
    FLV is not cutting it.
    Found out how to embbed quicktime.

PROX on
    edited August 2009
    tower_progress_25.jpg

PROX on