As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need 20-50's music for "not completely gay social get together"

Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My roommates and I are having a "dress up like it's the 40's and drink wine" party in 2 weeks, and I've been trying to find some good music from the 20's-50's to have playing during the party. Stuff like from the Bioshock soundtrack.

So far I have some stuff by the andrews sisters, the bioshock soundtrack, the fallout 3 soundtrack, the grim fandango soundtrack (it fits the era for the most part), and then a cab calloway cd. I'm looking for more big band high energy stuff. While there's just a ton of blues stuff from the era, I'm looking for Jazz and the like. Stuff that might apeal to people who aren't really into the era.

Any suggestions?

No I don't.
Death of Rats on

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My roommates and I are having a "dress up like it's the 40's and drink wine" party in 2 weeks, and I've been trying to find some good music from the 20's-50's to have playing during the party. Stuff like from the Bioshock soundtrack.

So far I have some stuff by the andrews sisters, the bioshock soundtrack, the fallout 3 soundtrack, the grim fandango soundtrack (it fits the era for the most part), and then a cab calloway cd. I'm looking for more big band high energy stuff. While there's just a ton of blues stuff from the era, I'm looking for Jazz and the like. Stuff that might apeal to people who aren't really into the era.

Any suggestions?

I have no suggestions, but the party sounds fantastic.

I need friends who come up with fun ideas like this.

Melkster on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like The Ink Spots a whole lot.

I think they've had music featured in a couple videogames, like Bioshock and Fallout 3, if I remember correctly.

naporeon on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vera Lynn was a big hit during 1940's, specifically; "We'll meet again" and "White cliffs of Dover."

Also check out "In the mood" by Glen Miller, and Glen Miller big band stuff in general - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Miller

John Matrix on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have a listen to some Glenn Miller. In the Mood is one that everyone should recognise, and perhaps String of Pearls. Little Brown Jug is another energetic one. Moonlight Serenade is a beautiful piece too if you're looking for something a little slower.

Cherry Poppin Daddies (although not from the era) have some pretty hot charts. Pretty much everything on the Zoot Suit Riot album is awesome (really digging Come Back to Me at the moment).

You'll want to play Sing Sing Sing as done by Benny Goodman and his band, another instantly recognisable one.

Trentus on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    So, there will be some gay people at the party?

What sort of percentage are we talking here? Majority, minority?

How about some Duke Ellington.

That's not a question.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Throwing in some Tin Pan Alley (Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, etc) would provide some good variety.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Download all the track packs for the GNR - More Where That Came From mod for Fallout 3. It's mostly just more songs by the bands from the games, with some new ones thrown in. 100 tracks there for free, most of it absolutely excellent music. You do have to register at the site to download though.

Trinis on
  • Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Paul Whiteman, Fletcher Henderson, Benny Goodman, Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey etc etc. These people all had their own big bands from the appropriate era.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Django Reinhardt, and Les Paul. Yes, that Les Paul. Look for the "Les Paul Trio". Also Nat King Cole.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Get some Glenn Miller. Try to get original vinyl recordings and play them through a phonograph. Instant 40's-ish swarée atmosphere

Reservoir Angel on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Early Sinatra. Any Sinatra, really. Bing Crosby.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    But really, fuck Glenn Miller.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Django Reinhardt

Also, for similar stuff to Django, but more Big-Band-ish, the Sweet and Lowdown Soundtrack is great. While it's not actually music from the 20s, it basically is.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Esh on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks you guys. These are all great. I think I have enough where I'll be listening to this stuff right up until the party so I can get the right mood going throughout. Unless someone has another standout band, I think I have enough. :)

Oh, and about the "not completely gay" thing... my roommate (who made up the fliers) put that on the fliers he's giving to people. Not my decision.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack.
    Your roommate is a dumbass.

Qingu on
  • losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker would be good.

losabio on
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But really, Glenn fucking Miller.

clsCorwin on
  • revcomrevcom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    french cabaret music from the 20's through the 50's, it'll class up the joint

http://www.amazon.com/Paris-After-Dark-Various-Artists/dp/B0000075HX

revcom on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, and about the "not completely gay" thing... my roommate (who made up the fliers) put that on the fliers he's giving to people. Not my decision.

one of the fraternities where i went to college put out fliers every year for pretty much their biggest party that said: "We're not gay, but our boyfriends are!" always good for a laugh.

also, i second Sinatra. possibly Tony Bennett?

Feldorn on
    edited August 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »

I guess if you like terrible music with no soul or inventiveness whatsoever...

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »

I guess if you like terrible music with no soul or inventiveness whatsoever...

That's Lawrence Welk... Glenn Miller at least had the common decency to rape music that previous had soul and inventiveness.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fallout 1/2/3 songs are great. There's a mod for fallout 3 that adds some 100 songs from the 20's-50's all of which are fun to listen to. Some of them can be very difficult to download though as a lot of them are pretty rare, but if it comes down to it the mod itself has every song in .wav format in it so you can simply download the mod rip the songs and delete the rest.

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
  • BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Movits! makes big band hiphop so it's kind of a modern take on old school stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnaeImQ0TSg

Also Tito Puente if you want late 50s and a latin vibe.
    These guys have more of a late 40s to 60s vibe to em but in the time frame you mentioned they are gods
    Sonny Rollins

Charlie Parker

Dave Brubeck

Jimmy Smith

John Coltrane
    and if you wanna drop some acid and listen to jazz theres also Sun Ra (actually his album Sound of Joy is pretty normal and would probably work perfect for your party)

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • LaterationLateration Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duke Ellington.

Miles Davis.

Also, he may be from too late a time period / not quite fit with everything else, but how about some Henri Salvador?

Lateration on
  • TrinisTrinis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    elfdude wrote: »
    Fallout 1/2/3 songs are great. There's a mod for fallout 3 that adds some 100 songs from the 20's-50's all of which are fun to listen to. Some of them can be very difficult to download though as a lot of them are pretty rare, but if it comes down to it the mod itself has every song in .wav format in it so you can simply download the mod rip the songs and delete the rest.

That's the GNR extension mod I linked to earlier. All the songs are included in .mp3 format as well as .wav when you download the track packs.

Trinis on