As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week - August 19, 2009

• KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ron Garney draws some amazing fights for Weapon X. The jungle fight was amazing, but I think he may have topped it with the fight in this month's issue. Loved when
    they just stop fighting when the kids on the bus are watching and move to another spot
    . The whole thing was so cinematic, yet brutal and violent and exactly what you'd expect from a Wolverine fight.

KVW on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Post the bus fight scene Kirk.

Anyways, here was the best page from DD #500:
    dd500a.jpg
    And Matt's response is, with a smile, "You're a wise girl."

And here is the Zircher pin-up (the dude needs to be given a monthly book again, he's like a million times better than Finch):
    dd500b.jpg

And the Rafael Grampa page does a good job of showing what the original DD costume would look like, had it been made from old boxing trunks and clothes:
    dd500c.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Post the bus fight scene Kirk.
    wolverineweaponx4bus.jpg

Now, it lacks a bit on its own maybe, but in the middle of this epic fight that saw each other viciously stabbing and mashing heads into rail tracks while a train is moving and so on, it was pretty awesome seeing them both react to the kids and move along.

KVW on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd put Ron Garney in my top 5 favorite Wolverine artists

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Does anyone know what Garney's deal was earlier in the decade? He was always a good monthly artist, on Captain America and such, but when he was made the regular artist on Uncanny X-Men during Casey and Austen's run he only did like 10-11 issues over a 3 year period, often times months in between. Sean Phillips, Philp Tan and others had to do a lot of fill-ins.

And then he went over to DC and did 14 JLA issues no delays at all, and then did that ASM run with JMS during Civil War.

It's like, what the hell?

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The MAX version of Punisher is the coolest character ever.

Hensler on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And the Rafael Grampa page does a good job of showing what the original DD costume would look like, had it been made from old boxing trunks and clothes:
    dd500c.jpg

Man I am totally getting a Paul Pope vibe from that.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm getting a frumpy vibe from it.

'Cause it's frumpy.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That looks pretty cool.

Robos A Go Go on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It looks like an outfit only a blind man would wear

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow and completely overhaul the OP of the Daredevil thread. With the new creative team starting next month its a good time to raise a bit of public awareness about how Daredevil is the best superhero ever.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    Exactly. That is why it is awesome. Also, fishooks on his billy clubs.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Who is the new creative team going to be?

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    Andy Diggle writing and Billy Tan on art. There's a preview of issue 501 in issue 500 and it was pretty good.

Lucascraft on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What was the Daredevil issue number before 500?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Andy Diggle writing and Billy Tan on art. There's a preview of issue 501 in issue 500 and it was pretty good.

Roberto De La Torre is the new DD artist.

The List: Daredevil is what was previewed in DD #500 with Billy Tan art.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Ahh. Gotcha. Well anyway, the art was good. I liked it.

And the last Daredevil was like 120 or something. I forget exactly because 500 was delayed. Its been like 2 months since the last issue of DD was released.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    Tan is on Thor isnt he? Probably what you mixed it up with.

KVW on
    edited August 2009
    No, his name is on the preview page in DD 500. It says in big bold letters "EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW BY ANDY DIGGLE AND BILLY TAN ON SALE 09-09-09"

I just assumed he was the artist since I know Diggle is the writer.

Lucascraft on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait

Does this mean no "Matt eats a tasty sandwich" issue?

Damn you, Bru

Me Too! on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Last issue of Deadpool Suicide Kings was pretty great up and down, but the very end was the best.
    Wade scored with Outlaw!

"Be gentle with me."

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Wow. That Frank Miller Daredevil reprint was pretty awesome.

Lucascraft on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

And the last Daredevil was like 120 or something. I forget exactly because 500 was delayed. Its been like 2 months since the last issue of DD was released.

Ok cool, so about the right number of issues for a second omnibus. I AM PLEASED!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Virral wrote: »

Ok cool, so about the right number of issues for a second omnibus. I AM PLEASED!

You can't just go around announcing how you feel. THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    Did anyone read X-Factor?
    I love how delusional Old-Doom is.

Also, the guy on the last page. Madrox dupe from Messiah Complex, I guess? I inferred it from the letters page, because I couldn't really tell.

Faynor on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Dark Reign: The Hood, I really like this series and the brawl at the end was great, I really hope he sticks around after Dark Reign and that this villains union sticks around somewhat.

That said, White Fang or whatever shes called is a terribly designed character.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    Jack of Fables #37, very good issue. It's mainly about Frost (that's what they call Jack's son now) and him trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life, since both his parents are assholes. And you have Jack losing his figure/handsomeness/hair!:
    jof37a.jpg

jof37b.jpg

And Frost returns to the Empire to give back his mom's power, but some of it has stayed around giving his super strength, handsomeness, and healing (he seems to have taken it from his father). After fighting some goblins, Gepetto's Owl (now named MacDuff) helps him out, and asks for him to help repair him:

jof37c.jpg

jof37d.jpg

A good issue, and I like returning to the Empire and Frost trying to be a good guy to counteract his father.
    I keep thinking about making a Fables thread, and with the book taking this good approach for the next arc, it might push me to do so.

TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Exactly. That is why it is awesome. Also, fishooks on his billy clubs.

I'm a big fan of Grampa. I don't remember where I found him, but I am eagerly awaiting the reprint of Mesmo Delivery. That Daredevil pin-up has Paul Pope, Geof Darrow and Quitely all going on at the same time.

DouglasDanger on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My MOTW was walking into my comic book store and finding Vol. 1 of the Mirage TMNT collected book. That and finding out who Batgirl is.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I never read the bulk of Rucka's Adventures of Superman run, but when did Pete go from being VP to working at a country store?

Pete shows up a couple times in last week's Secret Files one-shot.

We're given the feeling that he's so ashamed of being part of the Luthor Administration, that he retires back to small town life.

Also,
    Amanda Weller tricks him into signing the legislation that creates Project 7734 during his presidency.

HadjiQuest on
    edited August 2009
    DC totally fucked up the Luthor Presidency and its after effects, if they're going with the "ashamed of what he was complicit in" angle. He was totally with Luthor all the way during the President Lex stuff.

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DC totally fucked up the Luthor Presidency and its after effects, if they're going with the "ashamed of what he was complicit in" angle. He was totally with Luthor all the way during the President Lex stuff.

I would scan some of it because it's only a couple pages, but I just realized I left my scanner at home, 200 miles away.

But throughout the entire thing, they're basically hinting at future retcons that will serve as plot points. And most of them seem like they will be immediate, within the span of the Patriot crossover.

HadjiQuest on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love that scene in Jack.

I also loved this issue of Air and you bastards should really start reading it.
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Last issue of Deadpool Suicide Kings was pretty great up and down, but the very end was the best.
    Wade scored with Outlaw!

"Be gentle with me."

Wade got laid?

Eww...

Crimsondude on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay, finally had a chance to sit down and read this week's issues this morning over coffee.

Daredevil #500, I choose you!

desc on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Belated MotW's are me finally finding the first Ian Flynn Sonic issue I've been missing from my collection and getting Geoff John's Thing miniseries for only 5 bucks. Also only paid 7.50 for the Rock of Ages JLA tpb.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    From the Hush Panel: When the guy says "They're a 'superstitious cowardly lot'" That's one of the songs from Batman! The Musical in Batman Beyond.

Terry: "Aw come on, this is shway!"
    Bruce: "It's shwarbage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited August 2009
    Huh, that looks surprisingly fun. I thought I'd seen all the Batman Beyond episodes when it was on TV. I really need to get DVDs of that show.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    Old Bruce is the best.

Faynor on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    From the Hush Panel: When the guy says "They're a 'superstitious cowardly lot'" That's one of the songs from Batman! The Musical in Batman Beyond.

Terry: "Aw come on, this is shway!"
    Bruce: "It's shwarbage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

Don't even get how that makes sense considering the city still apparently fears and is traumatised by the Joker well into the future. Also not a fan of anything that lets the citizens of gotham 'enjoy' my precious Rogues gallery.

Damn you Dini.

DarkWarrior on
    edited August 2009
    ugh shut up

Faynor on