As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

• SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'll take a moment to shill not just my favorite Wizardry game, but one of the best RPGs period:

762484-wizardry_large.jpg

Also made in Japan, but you can hardly tell by the art design.

wiza_16_640w.jpgwiza_15_640w.jpg
    wiza_14_640w.jpgwiza_13_640w.jpg

I found this at Gamestop for 10 bucks the other day, and snapped it up. It's hardly what I'd call a big budget game, even by middle of last gen standards, but so far I can hardly put it down. I finally made it into the labyrinth proper after being chased around by a scary grim reaper.

The combat starts simple when you begin the game, and then gets progressively deeper. The Allied Actions are varied and cool, and involve techniques that combine two or more party members into one special move. The magic system alright, but I'm never a huge magic user. Some enemies require magic to fight, which is interesting, but also a hassle.

Saddler on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The magic becomes essential in the endgame. Also, you'll want your party to get along very well as soon as possible. Some of the later AAs are amazing, like Spell Counter.

And the story really hits the ground running later on, though a lot of it comes from the quests in the bar.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »
    Same people that did Class of Heroes which I am currently addicted too... Mmmmmmmmm

Class of Heroes was a fantastic if slightly flawed version of Wizardry (thought the alchemy system could've been implemented better) that I just dropped 45 hours into. I really hope they release a version of this on the PSP with a save anywhere option as it quickly becomes the perfect game to play on a 30 minute commute.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DS Screens:

My pants... D:

If I have an English version of that game in my stocking this Christmas, I will be a very happy camper. Also, poor level 1 thief.

naengwen on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »
    Same people that did Class of Heroes which I am currently addicted too... Mmmmmmmmm

That worth picking up if I want a good Wizardry Dungeon crawl to keep me busy? I keep hoping to see it at the local Gamestop, giving up on that and not sure I want to buy it online.

KiTA on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    For the love of god, I hope Atlus localizes this. Wizardry is where I come from, baby.

My DS needs this.

What the hell is the status of the license in the US anyway? I know some company picked up the rights to Jagged Alliance since there's a new one being worked on, but did anyone pick up the Wizardry license? If not, that could be one less barrier to get some of the Japanese games licensed. If so, why the hell aren't they making us a new one already?

I don't know. I've never heard anything about the license changing hands, so I guess that the old owners of Sir-Tech still own it. Seems like I even heard rumors of a Wizardry 9.

Drake on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The magic becomes essential in the endgame. Also, you'll want your party to get along very well as soon as possible. Some of the later AAs are amazing, like Spell Counter.

And the story really hits the ground running later on, though a lot of it comes from the quests in the bar.

Does the jail ever become less of a pain in the ass? I'm doing a lot of running around and back tracking every time I play now, just to get those stupid elevators working.

Saddler on
    edited August 2009
    Saddler wrote: »

Does the jail ever become less of a pain in the ass? I'm doing a lot of running around and back tracking every time I play now, just to get those stupid elevators working.

Yes, once you get them all activated, you can get through that floor in seconds.

It is a pain at first, but really, all the floors are.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is the dungeon randomly-generated?
    If it is, I am SO getting this.

I've never played Wizardry before, but I really like the Dark Spire on the DS, and this looks like it, only better.

Djiem on
    edited August 2009
    Some images from the PSN game:

http://www.gamekult.com/pic/blog/403709_3.jpg

Looks quite good, hopefully we'll get this in the states along with the DS version. Atlus are being petitioned for both, so it couldn't hurt to check their MB and voice your support.

They published the last Wizardry released in the US to my knowledge, and they show dungeon crawlers lots of love, so seems like a natural fit.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah atlus is awsome like that.

on a side note I also hope we get class of heroes 2, how well did it do sale wise?

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fancy that. I was recently replaying Wizardry 8 not to long ago and am hungry, nay, starved for a good dungeon crawler RPG of yore.

I still haven't played anything with as, I guess, strange a setting as the Dark Savant Trilogy. I suppose though Wizardry's Japanese counterparts are not much like the ones I played huh? Outside of first-person, party based gameplay?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited August 2009
    Tale of the Forsaken Land has a really good story, and the setting is mostly a giant dungeon beneath a dead city. From what little I've played of the proper Wizardries, TotFL is a lot more character driven, since most of the NPCs(who become PCs) that join your group have a lot to say about plot events.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2010
    I think this deserves all the notice it can get.

image60.png

It's a two-pack of the PSN Wizardry titles: Dungeon of Imprisoned Souls/Town of Imprisoned Spirits.

Might have to import, because odds of this being localized are not good.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2010
    This style look familiar to anyone?

wiz1.jpg

wiz2.jpg

wiz3.jpg

wiz4.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Zerokku wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    The last Wizardry released in the US was on the PS2, so this seems like natural to me.

The PS3 really isn't shaping up to be an RPG console, though.

...So it needs all that it can get.

Though honestly, none of the consoles seem to be shaping up to be RPG consoles this gen. Quite sad, really.

360 has a few, but aside from Mass Effect they're all shit. The few that are on PS3 are shit as well, Folklore is decent but that's it.

Lost Odyssey was awesome you heathen.
    Awesome if you liked generic games.

The Thousand Years of Dreams sequences were incredibly compelling, and far from generic.

The rest of the game... was good enough to play through, although it did drag at times. Still better than pretty much any other console JRPG this gen outside of Valkyria Chronicles. Which isn't saying much, but still.

VC and the Thousand Years of Dreams were some of the most awesome moments ever

useless4 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cj, are you 100% sure about NA not getting a localization of this?

Henroid on
    edited December 2010
    It'll take a miracle.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maybe Atlus or XSeed will be awesome and take these on now that they are a disc.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited December 2010
    It looks like high-res Tale of the Forsaken Land. I'd kill to see this localized.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I want this.

I was always so jealous of my friends that had the one for PS2. We'd all go over and make new parties and see how horrible we could screw things up.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited January 2011
    So, I got the demo off of the Japanese PSN to finally try this.

Since this is relevant to all our interests, impressions time.

-This game is brutal. No auto-map, unless I can't find how to open it(highly likely).
    -Leveling is done through the inn. This game is VERY similar to The Dark Spire. Alignments, numeric spell castings(no MP). Old-school design.

There's dark rooms on 1F.

No dungeon music, just eerie sound effects. There's 'incidental' voice acting, for battles and injuries and events.

First impressions are glowing, but this game is not for those who like an easy trip.

Also, the Wizardry Renaissance Logo is awesome. Medieval R with a dragon behind it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wizardry looks too good these days.

Needs to be more monochromatic.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I saw this on play-asia and was pumped for the NA release. I really hope this happens at some point, otherwise I'm going to have to learn japanese.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    edited January 2011

-This game is brutal. No auto-map, unless I can't find how to open it(highly likely).
    -Leveling is done through the inn. This game is VERY similar to The Dark Spire. Alignments, numeric spell castings(no MP). Old-school design.

No dungeon music, just eerie sound effects. There's 'incidental' voice acting, for battles and injuries and events.

First impressions are glowing, but this game is not for those who like an easy trip.

Also, the Wizardry Renaissance Logo is awesome. Medieval R with a dragon behind it.

If it's like Zerodiv's other dungeon crawlers, you have to buy map items, for each dungeon. Once you get those, push Square

elliotw2 on
    edited January 2011
    Okay, one time special.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cj_iwakura

I'll stream it. Get it while it's hot. (Warning: HD system downscaled to SD.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The scenario is almost identical to The Bard's Tale.
    There is an automap function. You need to first buy a map at the item store. Then, when you enter a dungeon you can access it by pressing the square button.

CygnusZ on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh hello XSeed, what's up? What's that? You say the ESRB leaked that you're bringing over Wizardry? Well that wasn't very nice of them!

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    It's like XSEED doesn't want to make money or something.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Day 1.

corin7 on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

And yet they won't just give me my goddamn RGC2 because the first didn't sell well. None of their games sell well, why is RGC the only one suffering?

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    Gilder wrote: »

And yet they won't just give me my goddamn RGC2 because the first didn't sell well. None of their games sell well, why is RGC the only one suffering?

Apparently the licensing cost of the first game was ridiculous.

But yes, RGC2 is AMAZING even though I don't understand half of it.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited March 2011
    Can not believe it.

DAY ONE.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2011
    And now, a taste of things to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLRP63OcWKs

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Woo, Finally. The US always needs more dungeon crawlers

elliotw2 on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn. It's approaching about a decade since we last had a Western or Eastern Wizardry come out here.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I think Japan's almost made more Wizardry games than the West. Funny about that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just gonna throw this out there.... cause I haven't seen mention of it in this thread... you guys have played Etrian Odyssey right? I mean... of course you have! But I haven't seen it mentioned.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion