As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Project Runway On Lifetime

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Finally the new season of Project Runway is on the air. Thursdays at 10pm on Life Time (no designers were raped in the filming of these episodes).

Here are the current designers as of last nights episode. I'll update this as episodes air.

[strike]Althea Harper [/strike]
[strike] Ari Fish [/strike]
[strike] Carol Hannah Whitfield [/strike]
[strike]Christopher Straub [/strike]
[strike]Epperson[/strike]
[strike]Gordana Gehlhausen [/strike]
Irina Shabayeva
[strike] Johnny Sakalis [/strike]
[strike]Logan Neitzel [/strike]
[strike]Louise Black[/strike]
[strike]Malvin Vien [/strike]
[strike] Mitchell Hall [/strike]
[strike]Nicolas Putvinski [/strike]
[strike]Qristyl Frazier [/strike]
[strike]Ra'mon-Lawrence Coleman [/strike]
[strike]Shirin Askari[/strike]

So what does everyone think so far? I personally liked the new location even though it doesn't really matter either way really. And lindsay lohan was the worst guest judge in recent memory.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    lol, poor little Lindsay Lohan. No idea what to say, no real input to give because she was terribly frightened of being wrong, or something?

She should probably stop doing drugs.

Otherwise, yeah, I saw that elimination coming from ages off. As soon as she was like: "I don't sketch." I'm like... bwah? The fuck? You're gone.

Greeper on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah Ari being eliminated was a given, sometimes they keep the quirky style person, this year I think the judges were tired of it. I mean the look didn't even make sense at fucking all and her model sure as hell didn't like it.

From the preview Mitchel looks like he'll be next, seems like he studied fashion without being able to do it practically at all (kind of like a lit major who can't write shit). Did anyone watch the model show after? I wondered how his model felt after him basically blaming her for a bad dress and then Heidi claiming she lied? (Wouldn't they have I dunno measured for measurements instead of trusting people or something?)

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was hoping Ari would have stuck around, mainly since I would have liked to see what other oddball things she could have created.

And the Models Of The Runway show seems pretty superfluous, especially since it's 90% stuff that used to be part of previous Project Runway shows, like the model selection line-ups and whatnot.

Lawndart on
    edited August 2009
    I just didn't want to stay up and watch it because I'm an old man, well that and it looked boring!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ari shouldn't have even been allowed onto the show. Her portfolio probably shows exactly what stuff she does.
    The "no, you're style isn't what is going to work on this show" attitude is bullshit.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited August 2009
    Ari shouldn't have even been allowed onto the show. Her portfolio probably shows exactly what stuff she does.
    The "no, you're style isn't what is going to work on this show" attitude is bullshit.

They want a diverse group of people on the show, but expect them all to adjust to what the challenge requires. So to compare it to idol, ari was like the country singer told to sing a rock song and just singing country all the same, they asked her to do a red carpet outfit, she made something even bjork wouldn't wear.

On the plus side Matt Hardy is a decent fashion designer who knew.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2009
    Also I hope melvin sticks around for a long time, mocking him is a pleasure.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I missed the episode...honestly I haven't seen any episodes ever but I was shooting a fashion show last night and one of the designers was talking about the show and got me mildly interested.

Este thread necissito mas fotogafias .

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited August 2009
    Communist its actually fairly interesting set up. They take designers (real designers some of them own their own shops or have fashion lines) and force them to live in an apartment and compete in weekly challenges that they don't know what to do in advance. With limited budgets and time they have to produce sophisticated looks that impress a panel of 3 judges and heidi klum (and her fake german accent).

Every week one loser is sent packing, until the finale where 3 to 4 contestants put on an entire line (I want to say 8 outfits?) at bryant park in front of the fashion industry, the winnner gets 100 grand.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2009
    I just went to the site and looked at some of the designers and I must say I think it would be interesting if they didn't have people who were already being published in "W" and making stuff for victoria secret runway shows.

CommunistCow on
    edited August 2009
    I just went to the site and looked at some of the designers and I must say I think it would be interesting if they didn't have people who were already being published in "W" and making stuff for victoria secret runway shows.

I like that these aren't amateurs. Runway is more a chance for minor leaguers to get to the big leagues instead of amateurs like an Idol.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2009
    I agreed with all bottom 3 this week, and the top 3 were good but I also liked Gordana's look. Lot of safe dresses, but I think they picked a good winner this round.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I agreed with all bottom 3 this week, and the top 3 were good but I also liked Gordana's look. Lot of safe dresses, but I think they picked a good winner this round.

Agreed. I thought the jacket that the winner did was great (along with her dress of course).

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited August 2009
    That crazy asian guy should have stayed, especially given the last thing the other guy put out. The pregnant dress should have been his last chance to say "alright, seriously, I can construct and sew, don't worry any more".
    Is anyone watching the model show afterwards?

Improvolone on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I did last week and I probably will this week, but I don't really see the point in it. Yeah it's a competition for the models, but they don't really have any control over whether they make it to the end or not. I would think that a designer has every incentive to keep a model since as he or she gets to know the model, the designer can make better fitting clothes. I think a better way to do model selection would be to let the winner have the choice of keeping his model and force everyone else to pick a new model for the next challenge.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited August 2009
    That crazy asian guy should have stayed, especially given the last thing the other guy put out. The pregnant dress should have been his last chance to say "alright, seriously, I can construct and sew, don't worry any more".

Mitchell is one lucky fuck, he's been bottom two, two weeks in a row now. And honestly the outfit he did the first week was ugly even if it fit properly I don't know what look he was going for other than boring. It could just be the way the editing is done, but it looks like Mitchell fucks around more than someone who is doing as badly as he is should. I wouldn't be surprised if its revealed Mitchell actually has no design talent he certainly hasn't shown any.

I think Malvin's outfit was horrid from concept to execution to his ridiculous explanation, and agreed with him leaving though either him or mitchell could have been gone and no loss to the show. Ra'mon certainly had a change of fortune, he went from top 3 to bottom 3 maybe he should play it safer. You don't want to go wild early on and get the boot.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, they seem to be aggressively weeding out the wacky experimental types this season, where as before they'd let someone like, say, Santino coast for most of the season based on a combo of personality and "what the fuck did they just send down the runway"?

I'm assuming they're trying to prove to their new corporate overlords that whoever wins this season will actually be worth the time and money.

But yeah, I can't see any real reason why Mitchell, who can't sew and can't design, wasn't cut while two designers who can sew and can design, albeit fugly and freakishly, were auf'ed.

Edit: Oh, and the model show is only worth my time since The Daily Show is in re-runs for the next forever and a day. The model selection scenes used to work well in the regular episodes, and the rest is boring shit nobody cares about.

Lawndart on
    edited August 2009
    Mitchell has just coasted on the judges hate the other persons work more than his. I think this week he was saved by the one girl liking the look of it.

Though the pregnancy smugness was all over this episode. And the models looked really unflattering faux pregnant, I guess thats what happens when you weigh the same as a pack of smokes.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    I missed thursdays show due to pax can someone give me a quick spoiler on who got eliminated so I can update the OP?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really didn't see this one comming!
    Mitchell was eliminated

Dman on
    edited September 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    Mitchell was eliminated

So let me guess, another badly sewn monstrosity that was boring?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Mitchell was eliminated

he fessed up to not doing shit for the team challenge.

Dynagrip on
    edited September 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Mitchell was eliminated

he fessed up to not doing shit for the team challenge.

Super awesome, damn it I'm mad I missed this one! Oh well I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    I'm so pissed that he lasted that long and we lost two people who could sew.

Improvolone on
    edited September 2009
    I'm so pissed that he lasted that long and we lost two people who could sew.

Well in all honesty the previous two eliminations could technically make something, but no human being would want to wear it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    I loved the nest and the egg idea!
    I forgo who lost on the first one, but it was probably hideous. Still, nothing is as bad as last seasons first to go. That asian guy who made this creepy looking nurse type outfit from supplies found in the grocery store.

Improvolone on
    edited September 2009
    I loved the nest and the egg idea!
    I forgo who lost on the first one, but it was probably hideous. Still, nothing is as bad as last seasons first to go. That asian guy who made this creepy looking nurse type outfit from supplies found in the grocery store.

First loss was Ari the chick who makes outfits the guys in Mad Max would find tacky.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    Oh, yea, her. It was well made and I'd love to see what she could do, but she didn't breach her bubble at all. I understand giving Mr. Can't-Sew a second chance given that.

Improvolone on
    edited September 2009
    Oh, yea, her. It was well made and I'd love to see what she could do, but she didn't breach her bubble at all. I understand giving Mr. Can't-Sew a second chance given that.

Yeah that was the issue, Mitchell got lucky twice that someone was worse than him, he was saved because others failed, twice. No other reason.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    Man I disagreed with the bottom two. Logan missed the mark, but I feel he was more of an average dress rather than show killing. I think Johnny only survives because of his story, not his ability to design.

Winner was allright didn't like the top jacket looked cheap.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    Thank god johnny is fucking gone, he was a big ole god damn whiner and I'm glad he's done. Nicolas is a cock sucker though I hope he goes next week.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    I caught few minutes of this at a friend's house and I was rather impressed with what they could do when they made the paper dresses.

CommunistCow on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I missed this thread until now - Runway is my guilty pleasure show (along with Top Chef).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm a little taken aback that Irena won over Christopher... his dress was phenomenal.

oldmanken on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I'm a little taken aback that Irena won over Christopher... his dress was phenomenal.

Boo! The top looked like it fit about as well as, well, you'd expect a cardboard box to.

At least this challenge was waaay more interesting than the previous 'make-a-look!' snoozefests.

MrMister on
    edited September 2009
    You can't honestly tell me that you liked Irena's more! It had some beautiful work on it, but as Hillfiger pointed out, you could still see tape and such. It was also incredibly bland from a colour perspective.

oldmanken on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can't honestly tell me that you liked Irena's more! It had some beautiful work on it, but as Hillfiger pointed out, you could still see tape and such. It was also incredibly bland from a colour perspective.

No--I was pretty mystified by both of their inclusions in the top three. I would have put Carol-Hannah in over either of them.

MrMister on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that got me as well... her gown was really stunning, and didn't even look like it was made of paper. I also like the first one (forget his name), where he said it was pretty Asian in theme and looked like bamboo leaves were painted on.

oldmanken on
    edited September 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

Boo! The top looked like it fit about as well as, well, you'd expect a cardboard box to.

At least this challenge was waaay more interesting than the previous 'make-a-look!' snoozefests.

I liked christopers, but was happy with any of the top 3 getting a win as they all took what would have been difficult material and made it work.

I personally thought Gordana as bottom three for making something wearable out of paper was ridiculous and seemed like some kind of punishment for going safe when other people were lower.

The wife and I disagreed at the back talking of johnny after he left. I felt it was justified for his utter lying, she thought it was uneccessarily catty.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that got me as well... her gown was really stunning, and didn't even look like it was made of paper. I also like the first one (forget his name), where he said it was pretty Asian in theme and looked like bamboo leaves were painted on.

I thought her gown had a paper-y element in the structured geometry of its bottom, which made it that much cooler. It was made of paper, and had paper-y abstract qualities, but was also beautiful and looked like an actual dress.

I also liked the Asian dress.

And yes, it was completely ridiculous that Gordana was in the bottom. Oh, it's too ready-to-wear? When is that an insult when you're working with paper!?

MrMister on