As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

And I want my scalps! - Inglourious Basterds (now with SPOILERS)

WashWash Sweet ChristmasRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse

A Basterds Work is Never Done...

Summary, care of IMDB:
Nazi occupied France, and a young Jewish refugee Shosanna Dreyfus witnesses the slaughter of her family by Colonel Hans Landa. Narrowly escaping with her life, she plots her revenge several years later when German war hero Fredrick Zoller quickly takes an interest in her and arranges an illustrious movie premiere at the theater she now runs. With the promise of every major Nazi officer in attendance, the event catches the attention of the "Basterds", a group of Jewish-American guerrilla soldiers led by the ruthless Lt. Aldo Raine. As the relentless executioners advance and the conspiring young girl's plans are set in motion, their paths will cross for a fateful evening that will shake the very annals of history.

The new film by Quentin Tarantino. Most of you have seen his other movies, and most of you know that he is a genre junkie, whose bread and butter is obscure pop-culture references and nods to films we probably never would have heard of if not for him. Whether it be the exploitation cinema of the 70's, Spaghetti Westerns, or Japanese Samurai flicks, Tarantino's taken and paid homage to everything awesome and brutal and brilliant there is in movies. He makes awesome movies that push the envelope.

He has done it again.

So here's a thread to talk about Inglourious Basterds, a movie that exhibits the best of a filmmaker who constantly lives up to his reputation. He has given us a movie that does, in enthusiastic style, a horrifically brutal film about something very few people would object to: exterminating Nazis.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
Wash on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wonder how long this thread will go on until some idiot starts yakking about how much Tarintino sucks.

Fuck that guy.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Got me some tickets fer 8:30 tonight. This here's gonna be the most Nazikillingest movie of the summer.

"Danny! Gots a German wants to die for country! Oblige him."

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    I wonder how long this thread will go on until some idiot starts yakking about how much Tarintino sucks.

Fuck that guy.

When that happens everybody just imitate Samual Jackson untill he goes away.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Quentin Tarentino should have been in charge of Snakes on a Plane.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to see this tonight, it definitely looks like another iconic Tarantino film. I can't wait, I love all of his movies.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great.

Fucking.

Movie.
    Christoph Waltz needs an Oscar for what he's done. He deserves it completely. Watching his character was like watching a spider wearing a human's skin. He was simultaneously compelling and repugnant.

Brad Pitt goes into 'Mickey the Pikey' levels of awesome here. Everything he says alternates between 'badass' and 'hilarious'.

Samuel L Jackson's narrations were pretty fun to hear as well.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    No way I can convince my gf to see this movie... :(

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »

Get a new gf.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    gigEsmalls wrote: »

Tell her its another film and "Accidently" go to this.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I saw this last night - I didn't hate it at all but I don't know quite how I feel about it.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Do we accept the use of the Holocausts as a setting for fictional action movies? It seems like the more we utilize the setting of Nazi Germany as a setting for fictional stories the more we minimize what actually occurred there.

It would seem as if one who accepts the atrocities of the holocaust as fact would be too offended to utilize it as a movie setting.

For my part, I think one needs to exercise care in utilizing Nazi references, Holocaust imagery, and the like. But that is just me.

_J_ on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great.

Fucking.

Movie.
    Christoph Waltz needs an Oscar for what he's done. He deserves it completely. Watching his character was like watching a spider wearing a human's skin. He was simultaneously compelling and repugnant.

Brad Pitt goes into 'Mickey the Pikey' levels of awesome here. Everything he says alternates between 'badass' and 'hilarious'.

Wait hes the narator? I am going to watch this so hard.

101 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Watching this tonight. I been hearing that the trailers are selling it as a different movie. That's it's not really about a group of guys hunting nazis and being all around extra violent. What says you PA?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    Do we accept the use of the Holocausts as a setting for fictional action movies? It seems like the more we utilize the setting of Nazi Germany as a setting for fictional stories the more we minimize what actually occurred there.

It would seem as if one who accepts the atrocities of the holocaust as fact would be too offended to utilize it as a movie setting.

For my part, I think one needs to exercise care in utilizing Nazi references, Holocaust imagery, and the like. But that is just me.

I thought this movie was set in France.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It still utilizes the backdrop of the Nazis and the Holocaust.

_J_ on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Fuck that guy.

Tarintino doesn't suck, but the guys who are waaaay into him kinda do.

At Comic Con I got up at like 6 to go to a coffee shop. First 200 people in line at 8 at this random coffee shop like 10 blocks from the Convention Center got tickets to see this movie with Tarantino and the stars etc that night. My fiancee and I were 220, but we got posters at least.

The only real bad part was listening to some of the people in line who really seemed like they'd enjoy washing his feet. He makes movies that are often fun, often interesting and he certainly has a style but people act like he makes Shakespeare seem like a hack.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think idea of doing movie's like this is to try and "take the piss" out of the nazi's.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Actually from what I know, the Holocaust itself (Stuff like concentration camps and all) isn't in the movie.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    101 wrote: »
    Great.

Fucking.

Movie.

Wait hes the narator? I am going to watch this so hard.
    He only shows up twice. You never see him, and I didn't even know it was him until I caught his vocal inflections in the second narration.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The movie seems to focus solely on the hatred towards Nazis. We hate them for the Holocaust, but it seemed to me that this movie wasn't about that, so much as just the hatred. And let's be honest: viciously killing Nazis isn't going to ruffle anyone's feathers; nobody cares about dead Nazis. The movie gave a free pass to enjoy the brutality without feeling bad for the victims of the protagonists.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The movie seems to focus solely on the hatred towards Nazis. We hate them for the Holocaust, but it seemed to me that this movie wasn't about that, so much as just the hatred. And let's be honest: viciously killing Nazis isn't going to ruffle anyone's feathers; nobody cares about dead Nazis. The movie gave a free pass to enjoy the brutality without feeling bad for the victims of the protagonists.

I think there is an argument for saying that brutal slaughter of Nazis brings the brutal slaughterers down to the level of the Nazis. But I can accept that for the majority of the viewers, without any ounce of reflection, the simply premise of "Killing Nazis" is itself self-justifying.

Which is kind of odd.

_J_ on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

No.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I think there is an argument for saying that brutal slaughter of Nazis brings the brutal slaughterers down to the level of the Nazis. But I can accept that for the majority of the viewers, without any ounce of reflection, the simply premise of "Killing Nazis" is itself self-justifying.

Which is kind of odd.

I would offer that there is a significant difference between rounding up and slaughtering people for for their ethnicity and slaughtering soldier's of a country that is killing innocents and trying to take over the world.

I mean, really, you'd have to be a total unreasonable pacifist to thing one was exactly the same as the other.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Some of the better scenes (and despite my feelings about the execution of the film as a whole, some of the individual set pieces were excellent were where he
    turned this idea on its head, for example the young soldier who had just become a father, the honourable Sergeant who dies for his country (although this was rather spoilt when the baseball guy bashed his head in and everyone in the cinema laughed) and the final scene with the war hero when he's horrified by all the soldiers he's killed.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So did Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade (although Spielberg cut one 'joke' about Jewish contributors from later releases of the latter). Do you take issue with them as well?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Which is kind of odd.

I find it unifying in a way.

The whole thing was like a violent fantasy you might have, starring someone who's upset you greatly. Nothing you'd ever actually do, of course, but in a moment of anger such thoughts can be pleasing. Inglourious Basterds is like one of those fantasies put up on the silver screen, horrifying yet pleasing to see something terrible happen to something you despise. Most people hate Nazis, which makes the movie a joined experience, a shared dark fantasy.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked that the violence was fairly realistic, made things so much more effective.
    Also, Hugo was the best.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    I didn't like it. It didn't suck and it wasn't awful; you got the sense watching it that Tarantino definitely watched a lot of movies. You can recognize many references and nods to other WWII movies and westerns. There were moments of recognition. "Hey, that's Morricone! (one of the handful of composers I can recognize)" "Hehe. The dirty dozen." but I didn't connect with the film at any emotional level.

Note: the cinema scene was pretty sweet.

And the foot-fetish gets bigger and bigger, but I don't mind that. I fully expect a feature-length Tarantino film on feet before his career is over.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Fuck that guy.
    At this point in his career, frankly, it feels like his personality is stronger than his films.

I agree with Kenneth.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This movie was really cool. If you didn't like the Kill Bills you wouldn't enjoy it even a little though, because he uses many of the same camera angles, music, and pacing.

I liked it very much, but I'm a big fan of those movies.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Eli Roth stole a some of the Brad Pitt thunder in this movie. His character was pretty badass.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Eli Roth stole a some of the Brad Pitt thunder in this movie. His character was pretty badass.

Not something I ever expected to read.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    a month ago there was a showing at the Fantasia festival and I couldn't get ticket (they sold out after 20 minutes) and now, I have to wait for my boyfriend to see it D: Maybe I can convince him to go earlier than tuesday....

When I think about it, that plus Dead Snow.... wow, most dead Nazi I'll ever see in one summer :P

Nataneko on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    musanman wrote: »
    This movie was really cool. If you didn't like the Kill Bills you wouldn't enjoy it even a little though, because he uses many of the same camera angles, music, and pacing.

Kill Bill's different parts fit together much better than this.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Loved it.

Brad pitt, minor spoiler.
    You could hear the hands hitting heads when he first spoke in italian. Laughed so hard there.

I was more surprised when I heard bowie than anything else in the film.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow this movie had a lot of talking in it. Goddamn I hate people sitting around shootin' the shit. I hate doing it in real life and I hate it in mai movies. I walked out of the bar scene to take a break. All other parts, (and I mean all of them) were awesome. But that part was a whole lotta tedious nothing.

Don't ever invite me drinking.

Also, I was cackling like a motherfucker when the fire started.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RippedMermaidRippedMermaid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had watched "Natural Born Killers" at a friends house prior to seeing this movie, so needless to say I was expecting a movie much the same (having very little experience with Tarintino up until this point). From the trailers I was expecting an action movie, but ended up enjoying all the talking that was done. Granted, I like talking because I do so much of it myself. I felt the scenes with action were good, and those without were just as good. Though the ending (you know which part I'm talking about, with the guns) made me quite happy. Glad it was a fictional take on WWII. That's how it should have ended.

RippedMermaid on
    RippedMermaid.png
    ph blake wrote: »
    On the other hand, fuck that shit.
  • Options
    RippedMermaidRippedMermaid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was referring to when the Basterds gunned down Hitler, and then proceeded to shoot all the germans in the theatre from the balcony. Kinda gave me a Schindlers List vibe, but in reverse.

RippedMermaid on
    RippedMermaid.png
    ph blake wrote: »
    On the other hand, fuck that shit.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wow this movie had a lot of talking in it. Goddamn I hate people sitting around shootin' the shit. I hate doing it in real life and I hate it in mai movies. I walked out of the bar scene to take a break. All other parts, (and I mean all of them) were awesome. But that part was a whole lotta tedious nothing.

Don't ever invite me drinking.

Also, I was cackling like a motherfucker when the fire started.

Tarentino is probably not your director in this case. He loves to have characters sit around and shoot the shit. I actually love that about him because his dialogue is a joy to listen to but if it's not your thing then all of his movies are going to have a fair amount of "dead space" for you.

I liked the movie quite a bit. It wasn't any deep meaningful experience but it was well shot, well acted and the story was good enough excuse to watch horrible things happen to nazi's for a couple hours.

Christoph Waltz stole the movie for me. Just an absolute joy to watch him screw with people.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to wait for the DVD then rent it. The positive comments I've read in this thread are also the first positive comments I've seen about this movie, the rest being negative. And I like Tarantino's movies, especially as a writer (it was pretty easy to tell which parts of Crimson Tide Tarantino wrote).

Dalboz on