As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Used Oil/Grease Disposal

NewtonNewton Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got some parts pulled off the engine from my car that I'm cleaning up in a bucket. What should I do with the remnants from the bucket? It is water, degreaser, oil, grease, dirt and other general crap that sticks to the bottom of an engine over the years. Definitely not a mix I'd want to just pour down a drain. Can I pour it in with used oil I take in for recycling, or does it get collected separately? Also, what do I do with a used oil filter once it's drained out?

Newton on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Take it to Kragen's/Chuck's/etc local parts store. Nearly all of them do recycling. And they handle filters too.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    You can recylce filters? I always tossed them..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »

Tossing them in regular garbage is actually illegal in most states and provinces. The oil makes it a hazmat.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Ruckus wrote: »

Tossing them in regular garbage is actually illegal in most states and provinces. The oil makes it a hazmat.

I have never seen any one recycle them. I would have if I knew you could.. What do they do with them..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wal-Mart takes it for free as well.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ruckus wrote: »

I have never seen any one recycle them. I would have if I knew you could.. What do they do with them..

They clean them and make new filters I believe.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Depends on the state and the state of the hazardous materials. Some get burned, some go to landfills, some might be used in chemical processing/recycling.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thor1590 wrote: »
    Wal-Mart takes it for free as well.
    that's where I'd go.

like 10 seconds of paperwork and you can toss a filter and oil (I think up to 5 gal... might be 6 quarts)

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can just dump 30 years worth of it in a hidden corner of the yard and cover with dirt according to the person who owned my house before me*.

*not actually legal and a giant pain in the ass actually. My landfill has a giant metal box you can throw oilly shit into for free. It's nasty.

PracticalProblemSolver on