As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars: Legacy

EddEdd Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
So, here's the thing. I haven't ever read a single issue of this book, but I'm curious.

I hate a lot of the expanded universe, including the prequels. I love a bit of what Timothy Zahn did with the universe, as well as a few of the short stories floating around at there (the "Tales" series comes to mind). My main gripe is that Star Wars media became more esoteric, less accessible, and far less about character.

That said, let's talk a bit about Legacy. What's the general attitude towards it by Star Wars and non Star Wars fans alike? And based on the criteria outlined above, would I get progressively more pissed off and disillusioned by Legacy were I to give it a shot?

Edd on

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't really remember much about it, but I think there were opinions thrown around in this thread? I'd save you the trouble of stating mine, but I've yet to read it.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really really like Legacy but you have to understand some things.

First off the main Skywalker is decidedly unSkywalker like. He's a jerk, he never learns, he's completely selfish, and any good he does it out of self preservation. He
    puts a girl in life saving Vader-Esque armor to save her life, despite the fact that she asked to die because he didn't want to lose her
    . And the series is centered around him, so you're going to have to get used to him.

Also in the series you have a noble Empire trying to keep the galaxy together against a Sith Empire, a rag tag Republic initiating awesome fleet combat against the sith, Impierial Jedi knights who serve the Emperor, the main Jedi order hiding, and of course the Sith themselves. All of these factions get fleashed out reasonably well.

Those are pretty much the basics.

Bloods End on
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Cade is the most awesome Skywalker yet.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »
    Cade is the most awesome Skywalker yet.

I'll agree with this, as long as you don't count Vader as a Skywalker. Anakin was all sorts of weak sauce, but Vader is the most awesomest ever.

Hensler on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually don't really like Cade, or most of the main characters for that matter. I understand why he is the way he is, and it makes sense, but every time there's a story where it seems like he might grow as a character and become a slightly better person, he just goes back to being a dick the next issue. It's like he's stuck in perpetual dickishness and nothing ever happens to make him less or more of a dick. It's an interesting dynamic for a main character, but I don't think it makes for a very likable or dynamic main character.

That said, I do like the comic. I like seeing how things are playing out with the Sith better than I do reading about the adventures of Cade and co., and I especially like Wyrrlok, or however you spell his name. I want more issues focusing on him being incredible.

Darth Nat on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think Cade's progression to hero is happening, just slowly. It's not like someone flips a switch and he goes from being a scumbag to being a saint. And I find that refreshing and more realistic. I think Cade's going to have a great character arc by the time this series is done with, and will be a good contrast to the fall of Anakin.

I prefer the Old Republic Star Wars series, but the future setting of Legacy is really fun, too. I love the Imperial Jedi Knights and especially the Sith in the book. These are the best Sith I've read. I'm also reading the Fate of the Jedi series of Star Wars novels, and it's fun to see how things that are possibilities in that series are a reality in Legacy. There's been good synergy between the novels and comics for the past few years (The Vong first appeared in a Crimson Empire comic), and that's continuing with Legacy.

Hensler on
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just ordered Volume 1 off Amazon.

So I take it there aren't any trades as generous as say...a full year?

Edd on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Edd wrote: »
    I just ordered Volume 1 off Amazon.

So I take it there aren't any trades as generous as say...a full year?
    No, unfortunately. They're generally about 6 issues long I think.

I really enjoy the Legacy Era, but the featured characters kind of leave me flat. It's awesome for my Saga game, though. It's almost like they took all the best parts of every Star Wars era and put them in one place....

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.