As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero: Use the other thread

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm just trying to point out that 'traditional' rock band setups don't preclude pop-orientation. Plugging a guitar into an amplifier doesn't immediately make one into James Hetfield. Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters were both bluesmen though they played distinctly different styles and sounds of the blues...
    Spice Girls, Taylor Swift, Avril Lavigne, Marvin Gaye and Pink

This was your original example of what qualifies as pop (I choose to ignore Marvin Gaye... Yes, he's pop, too, but c'mon... That dude was identified with the soul sound) and it's a pretty female dominated list. And at some point, they all incorporate the 'traditional' rock band setup.

Sadly, the argument that certain bands/artists aren't 'real' pop is not unlike 'It's called ROCK Band not COUNTRY Band'... I can get where you're coming from, but even Activision's own apathy toward their product can't get in the way of peppering the 'lighter' game with hits a wider audience can identify with.

Nah, that isn't what I meant at all. My examples were all from acts that weren't your traditional singer, guitarist, bassist and drummer, the likes of which are already in Guitar Hero in spades. And even though those acts we listed did incorporate that set-up at some point or another, they're not primarily known for it. Sure, the Spice Girls and Blink-182 are both different flavors of pop, but one kind of pop has very much been incorporated into Guitar Hero. I'm just wishing for a lot more representation of other types of pop into Band Hero, to better make it stand out and not seem like yet another Guitar Hero.

Looks like one of those situations where we agree very violently. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Probably... You just want Activision to not suck. Good luck with that.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    glithert wrote: »
    So many people have suggested that it be named Pop Hero that I've lost count.

Besides, I think you guys aren't seeing the big picture here. Activision is doing a poor job marketing Band Hero because they don't care. It's obvious that they think the Guitar Hero brand is strong enough to sell games by itself (and they're right, mostly). The people in charge of "marketing" Guitar Hero are probably just binging on coke and whores full-time now.

Maybe you guys should read this again. Because it's true.

Also- Can anyone edit that wiki, or does it have a password?

glithert on
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    If this has been answered in some way, then you'll have to forgive me as I haven't been following the thread. But...

How is it that I am still the ONLY friend code in the wiki for Guitar Hero Metallica for Wii?

I refuse to believe that I'm the only one on this forum that has GH: Metallica Wii. If that really is the case, then that's just
    sad but true.
    Okay, even I can admit that was corny and unforgivable. I am the Unforgiven.
    Okay, I'll stop. :)

I have it. Can 5 star most songs on expert, and wouldn't mind playing online.
    I live on the other side of the world and due to time zone difference, this is probably as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    edited August 2009
    I have enough points left over from buying Shadow Complex to get both Hendrix packs. If I buy them, will we actually play them together?

glithert on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think I'd be getting them. Currently in the midst of a points drought, which will probably go on until October or so.

Dehumanized on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes.

Schide on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Edit: And Glithert, I think you nailed Activision's thinking, but GH sales are dropping fast. (So are Rock Band's, to be fair.)

There's a difference between sales dropping and not moving new SKUs.
    Not to mention Band Hero's being released just two months after another Guitar Hero. It might have worked if it were released next spring, but it's just too soon.

Which was also three months after Smash Hits. And one month before Van Halen. Not to mention the portables.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited August 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    Yes.

Will you be on today?

or anyone else, really. I'm not picky.

glithert on
    edited August 2009
    Yes.

Will you be on today?

or anyone else, really. I'm not picky.

Uh, I'm going out later for dinner, but after that I should be around. Won't be until after 10 EDT most likely though.

Schide on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Ahahaha. So I'm playing Guitar Hero: Aerosmith.

Try to play a ranked battle. Hmm, no matches? Okay, I'll create one then.. nobody is on though.

Oh wait, I got somebody! Since I set it to one song, we're gonna play Dream On.

*45 seconds into song, other guy quits*

*3 free achievements*

FyreWulff on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Try to play a ranked battle. Hmm, no matches? Okay, I'll create one then.. nobody is on though.

*3 free achievements*

Isn't that a bit like calling a 900 poll number to choose that you 'have no opinion'?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2009
    My opinion of GH:A right now is "fuck Joe Perry's fretboard"

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2009

I've never played GH:A. Is it worse than Lou's?

glithert on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

*3 free achievements*

Are you streaming it, by chance?

Endaro on
    edited August 2009
    I could in a bit.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2009
    http://www.livestream.com/tbktv

streaming until someone comes gets me to go see district 9

FyreWulff on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I've never played GH:A. Is it worse than Lou's?

Yeah, it's an abomination.

Worst design decision ever.

You can barely see yellow on it.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited August 2009
    Stream's over now. Also now I remember why I hate guitar battle mode - people picking easy songs so that they can get you in sudden death.

FyreWulff on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, has the whole Guitar Hero 5 DLC isn't compatible with World Tour been covered yet?

I'm getting the game just to be able to get Van Halen for free and then turning around to off load both.

Shady3011 on
    edited August 2009
    stream's back up.

FyreWulff on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    So, has the whole Guitar Hero 5 DLC isn't compatible with World Tour been covered yet?

I'm getting the game just to be able to get Van Halen for free and then turning around to off load both.

Is Rock Band 2 DLC compatible with Rock Band?

-Loki- on
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Is Rock Band 2 DLC compatible with Rock Band?

Technically, there is no such thing as RB2 DLC. HMX has always treated it as 'Rock Band DLC' for the whole platform idea.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2009
    All DLC works with both games, and songs can have RB2 stuff like drum solos and hopo chords (which just fall back nicely on RB1)

Also even the "20 free" songs that come with RB2 as a code work in RB1

FyreWulff on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, there's a video of Kurt Cobain in the game out. I feel dirty watching this, he just looks wrong.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa90h4_gh5-smells-like-teen-spirit-by-nirv_videogames

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited August 2009
    That video confirms HOPO chords.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So, there's a video of Kurt Cobain in the game out. I feel dirty watching this, he just looks wrong.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa90h4_gh5-smells-like-teen-spirit-by-nirv_videogames

There's also a video of Matt Bellamy up.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa901c_gh5-plug-in-baby-by-muse-expert-gui_videogames

What version of the game are these videos from?

YardGnome on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

If you fail the song then he shoots himself.
    I'm so sorry.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009

Because he has bucked teeth and looks entirely too happy to be there?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Oh hey awesome charting. If distorted, use 3 note chords even though he's still playing the same thing he was before!

BlindPsychic on
    edited August 2009

Oh hey awesome charting. If distorted, use 3 note chords even though he's still playing the same thing he was before!

I tried not to think about it too much... The audio and video didn't feel synced up. It definitely felt too 3-note heavy.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2009
    Did the note flames look particularly ugly to anyone else?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I had that exact same thought. Why does the distorted version of the same chord include an extra button?

Endaro on
    edited August 2009

I'm so sorry.

Nonono.

It's if you're too successful, that's when he shoots himself.

Schide on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No way they could fuck up one of the easiest guitar songs to learn on a real guitar.

Oh wait. They did. Har har har.

Shady3011 on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm so sorry.

Nonono.

It's if you're too successful, that's when he shoots himself.

Who wants to spread the rumour that getting an FC in Smells Like Teen Spirit makes Kurt commit suicide on stage?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All DLC works with both games, and songs can have RB2 stuff like drum solos and hopo chords (which just fall back nicely on RB1)

Nice to know. Now if only Australias DLC wasn't 1 year behind like the fucking game releases, I'd buy RB so I can play Ten.

-Loki- on
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Nice to know. Now if only Australias DLC wasn't 1 year behind like the fucking game releases, I'd buy RB so I can play Ten.

If you import (say, the US version) you can buy the appropriate region content. However, you can't switch the content to an OZ copy at a later date if you decided to do that.

I mean, as an option... But it's really a better discussion in the RB thread.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    /nerdy lisp
    But guysh, liek my entir lief haz been Guitar Hero, liek your tllin' me its not accurate!?!?!?!?!!!11?! MADNESS! THIS IS SHPARTAAAA!!!!!!11111eleven!!1oneoneone!!!!!1
    /end lisp

Moving on, I would love for Guitar Hero logic to apply to real world guitar. Seriously, would save me so much money on effects. "Want distortion? JUST ADD AN EXTRA FINGER, BAM. DISTORTION FOR YOU."

Can't watch those vids btw, behind a firewall. :( Still, you're not the first people who've said Cobain looks weird. Which puzzles me as Johnny Cash is really well done, it's like they intentionally fucked Cobain up.

*Ponders* A Cobain conspiracy eh? Next up, all the other members of the '27' club will look really fugged up when the rock up in Guitar Hero.
    You know Jim Morrison will be there. When they get a keyboard peripheral.
    Who wants to spread the rumour that getting an FC in Smells Like Teen Spirit makes Kurt commit suicide on stage?
    Done.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well Cobain's mo-cap session was completely useless, so you can't blame them.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png