As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 boomerang controller?

turpentyineturpentyine Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
What happened to the PS3 controller that was supposed come with the system when it wasnt launched yet. You know the smooth one that looks like a boomerang. It seems so much nicer than the one PS3 has. How come they didn't release it?

turpentyine on

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Because it looked stupid.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That was the original design. It was the subject of much ridicule. It was scrapped.

SteevL on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure that mocking the Boomerang was the first, and only time that everyone on the planet has been united under a single goal.

They went back to the DualShock pretty sharpish.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • turpentyineturpentyine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looked to me like it would of been a lot more comfortable than the one they released

turpentyine on
    edited August 2009
    Looked to me like it would of been a lot more comfortable than the one they released

ps3boomerang.jpg

Really?

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2009
    I guess I am the only one in the world who thought it looked good

turpentyine on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I did too! At least it'd make an interesting grappling hook.

Dunxco on
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    it boggles my mind that they actually made a worse controller than the dual shock.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
    edited August 2009
    it boggles my mind that they actually made a worse controller than the dual shock.

The one they have now is bad?

turpentyine on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LOL Batarang! :P The more I look at it, the more I think it would simply be an ergonomic nightmare. Just because it looks cool doesn't make it work any better. Seriously, I just can't wrap my head around how you'd be able to hold something like that for an extended period of time.

Grimthwacker on
    edited August 2009
    oh, i guess maybe you haven't used it.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How is the dual shock bad? It's the same tried and true controller they've been using since PSX. It may not be as smooth as the 360 controller, but I like each of them.

Lionel-Richie on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    the only problem I have with the new dualshock is what they did to the l2/r2 buttons.

Otherwise I have actually prefered the dualshock design since psx, it always fit into my hands well.

Morkath on
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the "triggers" are a little iffy. I've grown used to them, but they would've been better with a little click or something. I'm not really sure. make them feel more like the 360 triggers instead of some mushy buttons.

Lionel-Richie on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How is the dual shock bad? It's the same tried and true controller they've been using since PSX. It may not be as smooth as the 360 controller, but I like each of them.

It's subjective, there's no use arguing which one is better, but the analogs are far less sensitive as far as I know. I for one, hate the dual shock/sixaxis.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
    edited August 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    the only problem I have with the new dualshock is what they did to the l2/r2 buttons.

Otherwise I have actually prefered the dualshock design since psx, it always fit into my hands well.

I'd love to know what the thought process was behind the L2/R2 redesigns - those RealTriggers you can buy make them better, but they're still not as good as the old ones. Lord knows why they changed them.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's 12 years old. It's outdated. It feels blocky and uncomfortable. The triggers are mushy. The analog sticks are convex and too close together.

The D pad seems alright though.

Delta Assault on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's 12 years old. It's outdated. It feels blocky and uncomfortable. The triggers are mushy. The analog sticks are convex and too close together.

The D pad seems alright though.

The Dpad is actually the only thing I dislike about the Dualshock.

Speed Racer on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The dualshock is a good design, why fix something that isnt broken? I mean yeah, the PS3 came out with a bastard version of the dualshock, but they realized their mistake and forced us all to buy the real deal.

But The Duke...man The Duke is the epitome of ergonomics.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited August 2009
    If there's one problem I've ever had with the Dual Shocks, it's that the tops of the analog sticks tend to wear out very easily, almost to the point of being warn away completely. That, and I had an R1 button cave in when I was putting too much pressure on it. Other than that, the controller's a solid, comfortable piece of equipment; I don't see why Sony would change what already works well.

Grimthwacker on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There is basically nothing I like about the dual shock. It's not unusable or anything, but there is nothing I prefer on it to say, the 360 or Gamecube controller.

The Dpad is bad on basically every controller, but for different reasons.

LewieP on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    There is basically nothing I like about the dual shock. It's not unusable or anything, but there is nothing I prefer on it to say, the 360 or Gamecube controller.

I like the one on the Wiimote.

Speed Racer on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What happened to the PS3 controller that was supposed come with the system when it wasnt launched yet. You know the smooth one that looks like a boomerang. It seems so much nicer than the one PS3 has. How come they didn't release it?

They threw the prototype and it never came back, and was lost.

So rather than build a new one from scratch, they just updated the Dualshock 2.

True story.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    That was the original design. It was the subject of much ridicule. It was scrapped.

It was probably the only point of intense ridicule on the PS3 that was scrapped. The price certainly wasn't.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd totally buy a PS3 Baterang controller

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The dualshock is terrible. The d-pad is still in the primary position despite 99% of games controlling with the stick, it isn't comfortable to hold and four shoulder buttons is a terrible idea.

It is literally the only controller in the world I have picked up for the first time and been unable to play a game with properly.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'd totally buy a PS3 Baterang controller
    See they scrapped it so they could reintroduce it with Arkham Asylum as a 70$ specialty item.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i've never used a better controller than the dualshock. that doesn't mean they couldn't develop one, just that it's probably not necessary

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    The dualshock is terrible. The d-pad is still in the primary position despite 99% of games controlling with the stick, it isn't comfortable to hold and four shoulder buttons is a terrible idea.

It is literally the only controller in the world I have picked up for the first time and been unable to play a game with properly.

Man, that's just weird. I grab the dual shock, my thumb goes over the analog quite naturally.

Casually Hardcore on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

The Sega Saturn and Sega Genesis would both like to have a word with you.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited August 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i've never used a better controller than the dualshock. that doesn't mean they couldn't develop one, just that it's probably not necessary

have you played any system other than ps2/3?

cause thats the only way that statement is true.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah. The 360 controller is better in every way except for the d-pad and you can find a better d-pad on saturn controllers...

If someone made it possible to use a usb 360 controller on the ps3 I would be a very happy man.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    have you played any system other than ps2/3?

cause thats the only way that statement is true.

assuming you're asking me: atari 2600, master system, NES, supernintendo, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, n64, xbox, xbox 360, wii. those are the ones i've owned, anyway, aside from the 360 but i've used that extensively

edit: hang on! i've never owned a NES. how strange

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited August 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

The only flaws the Dualshock 3 has is the lack of individual buttons for the dpad and the grip portion needs to be slightly larger. I do agree that it's the best controller on the market though.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

True story.

What you mean they threw the prototype

turpentyine on
    edited August 2009
    The Sega Saturn and Sega Genesis would both like to have a word with you.
    The Saturn controller with the D-pad and analog stick was perfection. Looking back, I wonder why the Dreamcast controller wasn't based more off of that one.

Grimthwacker on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

True story.

They physically chucked it out a window

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited August 2009

True story.

They had to make sure it functioned like a boomerang, or else it would be false advertising.

They could've been sued.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited August 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »

True story.

They physically chucked it out a window

Oh lol i get it now

turpentyine on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What you mean posting like five year old.

Delta Assault on