As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Game catch-up!

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Check out Dark Messiah of Might and Magic if you enjoy having fun at all, though. Its one of those games that reminds you of why you play video games in the first place.

Play through it once and enjoy it. Play through it again but with cheats, giving you powers to turn yourself into a god. Since it's Source, everything is configurable.

i tried the demo on steam, but it didn't really click for me. is it just a bad demo, or what? combat with a sword, while better than oblivion, just felt clunky. i mean, i enjoyed kicking baddies into spikes/off cliffs etc. but while the demo is quite fun in that regard, it doesn't feel right to completely ignore weapon combat in a game that's supposed to have it.

or am i just going about it the wrong way? D:

Maybe if you don't enjoy kicking people into spikes and off of cliffs instead of using your sword, you should stop kicking them into spikes and off of cliffs. And instead, use your sword.

That said, Zeno Clash is probably the only game to do first person melee combat better than Dark Messiah. Everyone should own Zeno Clash.
    but i DO enjoy the kicking. D: i'm just worried that i'm missing something by dispatching all of the enemies like this. i was just wondering if the swordplay feels better in the full game or not.

perhaps i'm disappointed merely because i own and have played Zeno Clash already. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just echoing the comments that many others have already said, so Orange Box, Fear, etc.

I can't stress enough how awesome Far Cry 2 was. A really good opened ended game with great story telling and perfect music. Some repetitive bits but I really enjoyed that game and haven't had any issues with monitors.

Personally, I've recently bought the amBX kit and so I've been searching for some games that support this fully. I've been having a blast with MoH: Airborne which included Fan support but I'm sure you'll enjoy it without.

There is also a category entitled MMO's but I haven't found a single one thats kept me interested for more than the trial period.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Check out Dark Messiah of Might and Magic if you enjoy having fun at all, though. Its one of those games that reminds you of why you play video games in the first place.

Play through it once and enjoy it. Play through it again but with cheats, giving you powers to turn yourself into a god. Since it's Source, everything is configurable.

i tried the demo on steam, but it didn't really click for me. is it just a bad demo, or what? combat with a sword, while better than oblivion, just felt clunky. i mean, i enjoyed kicking baddies into spikes/off cliffs etc. but while the demo is quite fun in that regard, it doesn't feel right to completely ignore weapon combat in a game that's supposed to have it.

Maybe if you don't enjoy kicking people into spikes and off of cliffs instead of using your sword, you should stop kicking them into spikes and off of cliffs. And instead, use your sword.

That said, Zeno Clash is probably the only game to do first person melee combat better than Dark Messiah. Everyone should own Zeno Clash.

All DMOMM recommendations should also come with a warning that a lot of people have a really bad sound/frame rate drop issue that occurs on newer systems that they never got around to fixing. It is a really fun game, but it is annoying when you have to save and reload every 5 minutes.

Morkath on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would never recommend FEAR. Many people enjoyed it, but I found it a bore.

While Farcry 2 is a fantastic game, do not buy the PC version unless you run an old fashioned CRT monitor. Get it for xbox. Getting it to run with a modern monitor is a nightmare. It really is a great game, though, if you like cruising and chilling. Kind of like Fallout 3, except you get a car.

What
    the
    fuck
    ?

It didn't have proper widescreen when it launched...and uhh, well they patched it in anyway.

It's a great looking game so if you have a good PC it's easily the better choice.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rami wrote: »

While Farcry 2 is a fantastic game, do not buy the PC version unless you run an old fashioned CRT monitor. Get it for xbox. Getting it to run with a modern monitor is a nightmare. It really is a great game, though, if you like cruising and chilling. Kind of like Fallout 3, except you get a car.

What
    the
    fuck
    ?

It didn't have proper widescreen when it launched...and uhh, well they patched it in anyway.

It's a great looking game so if you have a good PC it's easily the better choice.
    Not all LCD monitors are widescreen you know.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any and all of the Telltale Adventure games. Sam and Max, Monkey Island, etc. None of them are graphical powerhouses, but they can look VERY nice with a good machine - and they shouldn't be missed.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain it sold badly. After it got released and didn't sell, CliffyB pretty much threw a hissy fit over piracy and declared he wants to avoid PC games as much as possible from now on. Gears 2 was never even a remote possibility after how badly number 1 did.

You must be thinking of another game, Gears 1 certainly wasn't one of the best selling PC games of all time.

Ah yes, I remember that now. Didn't the creators of Crysis do the same thing, despite selling over 1 million copies of a game with very high system reqs? :lol:

I wasnt talking about Gears 1 PC selling well, i was talkign about Gears 1 as a game period, between both versions. I never once said "gears 1 PC was the best selling", not once.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty certain it sold badly. After it got released and didn't sell, CliffyB pretty much threw a hissy fit over piracy and declared he wants to avoid PC games as much as possible from now on. Gears 2 was never even a remote possibility after how badly number 1 did.

You must be thinking of another game, Gears 1 certainly wasn't one of the best selling PC games of all time.

Ah yes, I remember that now. Didn't the creators of Crysis do the same thing, despite selling over 1 million copies of a game with very high system reqs? :lol:

I wasnt talking about Gears 1 PC selling well, i was talkign about Gears 1 as a game period, between both versions. I never once said "gears 1 PC was the best selling", not once.

Well, when you're talking about Gears of War in a PC thread and you say it sold well, we assume you're talking about the PC version, because the 360 version selling well only means that people stuck with a 360 like it. Hell, those people will buy Halo and call it the best FPS ever because their options are so limited.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

What
    the
    fuck
    ?

Not all LCD monitors are widescreen you know.

What does that even mean.

I am saying the only display/monitor issue FC2 had was it didn't use proper widescreen on widescreen monitors, and they fixed that with a patch.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not a new game but Vampire the Maquerade Bloodlines is awesome. Just make sure to patch it if you get it.

AdditionalPylons on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am saying the only display/monitor issue FC2 had was it didn't use proper widescreen on widescreen monitors, and they fixed that with a patch.

Maybe they have fixed it by now, then. They certainly hadn't when it mattered, though.

In any event, Farcry 2 is a good game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Maybe they have fixed it by now, then. They certainly hadn't when it mattered, though.

In any event, Farcry 2 is a good game.

The only important fact here is that Far Cry 2 works perfectly fine on widescreen monitors now.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Everyone should play Demigod. It runs basically fine now with the occasional crash and is one of the best strategy games released this year. There is a demo here. Since it has no tutorial I recommend starting a game with a password against AI, pushing the - button and taking the speed down to -10 and reading all the tooltips about abilities and items before going online.

It doesn't take long to get the hang of things. I should probably do a whole thread, but I don't have time to make a decent OP right now.

Drool on
  • hygraedhygraed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl engaged me the way few games ever have. I played nothing else for the week it took me to beat it, and for a while after I was done, other games seemed not quite as good. Were it not for the Orange Box, it would easily be my 2007 game of the year.

hygraed on
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

The online was pretty badass too. Fuck im reinstalling now...

FingerSlut on
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

but i DO enjoy the kicking. D: i'm just worried that i'm missing something by dispatching all of the enemies like this. i was just wondering if the swordplay feels better in the full game or not.

perhaps i'm disappointed merely because i own and have played Zeno Clash already. :P

You're pretty weak in the demo. Once you get the hang of things in the actual game and have access to some better swords, it's pretty great. You just have to mix things up a little. I found the demo really hard, but loved the full game.

Lalabox on
  • guarguar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pathologic, I think. This article pretty much sold me on it.

guar on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »

The online was pretty badass too. Fuck im reinstalling now...

I'll have to load it onto my gaming machine for pax too. THERE WILL BE DARK MESSIAH DURING PAX BYOC!

Viscountalpha on
    edited August 2009
    The multiplayer is actually really shitty. Its not actually the same game as the single player. You just mash attack, no directional strikes, cutting off limbs, physics, or anything that makes the game fun.

IIRC, its not even by the same developer as the real game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2009

Well, when you're talking about Gears of War in a PC thread and you say it sold well, we assume you're talking about the PC version, because the 360 version selling well only means that people stuck with a 360 like it. Hell, those people will buy Halo and call it the best FPS ever because their options are so limited.
    o_O I'm not even gonna go there.

Also on the topic of Dark Mesiah. Yeah, gotta agree the multiplayer is shittastic. But the single is pretty fun.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited August 2009
    Gears of War sold very well...on the 360. And its not a bad game. It just feels like a tech demo to me because there's not enough actual gameplay vs. filler. Really though, Epic can eat a dick because they have yet to make a real sequel to Unreal.

And think of Dark Messiah as the opposite of Fallout: Tactics. Both are fantastic, but only play DM for the single player and FO:T for the multi.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Gears of War sold very well...on the 360. And its not a bad game. It just feels like a tech demo to me because there's not enough actual gameplay vs. filler. Really though, Epic can eat a dick because they have yet to make a real sequel to Unreal.

And think of Dark Messiah as the opposite of Fallout: Tactics. Both are fantastic, but only play DM for the single player and FO:T for the multi.

FO: T has active multiplayer ? GoG must have brought it back to life.

Also, Unreal, totally something we can both agree on. I like UTIII though, but it took them too long to make it into a state where it was truly fun, it should have been how it is now, when it was released.

Elimination on
    edited August 2009

Also, Unreal, totally something we can both agree on. I like UTIII though, but it took them too long to make it into a state where it was truly fun, it should have been how it is now, when it was released.

It doesn't that I know of. I play it on LAN/Virtual LAN with real life friends and not on a regular basis.

As for Unreal, I'm talking about the original game, from like, 1998. :P Not tournament. It had a sequel, Unreal 2, that sucked balls, in like 2003 or something.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited August 2009

It doesn't that I know of. I play it on LAN/Virtual LAN with real life friends and not on a regular basis.

As for Unreal, I'm talking about the original game, from like, 1998. :P Not tournament. It had a sequel, Unreal 2, that sucked balls, in like 2003 or something.

Ohhhh...and yeah Unreal 2 was terribad.

Elimination on
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not a new game but Vampire the Maquerade Bloodlines is awesome. Just make sure to patch it if you get it.

I bought this via Steam a while ago when it was on sale, but I was unable to get it to work on Vista and had to resort to an old XP partition to use it. Did they fix this? Is that what you're referring too? I look forward to having another go at this game again.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've had no trouble running Vampire on Vista.

Dehumanized on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Drakensang - The Dark Eye. under rated game.

variant on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    World of goo. That is all.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited August 2009
    Audiosurf if you love music.

Elimination on
  • BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    smh @ the Gears hate

Look, I'm a PC zealot and I found Gears fucking fun. They did everything right with that game. It beats the shit out of every PC FPS released in the past 2 years that isn't called Crysis/ Orange Box.

I wish Gears 2 would get a PC release but NOOOOOOOOOOO this is what I get for buying Gears on PC at day 1.

Borys on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lies, it's common knowledge that no one actually buys PC games.

Zxerol on
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

lol everyone who owns a PC pirates EVERYTHING, I haven't paid for a piece of software in years. :lol:

Also, if you have missed out on any classics I recommend that you perhaps check out GOG.com, they have quite a few good games on there for cheap and no DRM at all, plus they're guaranteed to work on XP and Vista.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

subedii on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

lol everyone who owns a PC pirates EVERYTHING, I haven't paid for a piece of software in years. :lol:

am i the only honest PC gamer in this thread? D:

i pay for all my games, if i can. "if i can" meaning, if it's still sold and available. steam's helped a lot, and it's got a great selection. i think the only games i was unable to purchase were hydro thunder and star wars episode 1 racer.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Borys wrote: »
    smh @ the Gears hate

Look, I'm a PC zealot and I found Gears fucking fun. They did everything right with that game. It beats the shit out of every PC FPS released in the past 2 years that isn't called Crysis/ Orange Box.

I wish Gears 2 would get a PC release but NOOOOOOOOOOO this is what I get for buying Gears on PC at day 1.

I just bought a brand new copy of Gears on Ebay for $19, and I have to admit, though I had it or 360 (back when I had a 360) I'm having a blast with it. It looks a bit better, the added campaign is a nice addition, (that Brumak hunting you adds a lot) I love the game.

Plus, having a wired 360 controller makes it just perfect.

I too mourn the loss of Gears 2 for PC...sucks.

Scotty on
    edited August 2009

i pay for all my games, if i can. "if i can" meaning, if it's still sold and available. steam's helped a lot, and it's got a great selection. i think the only games i was unable to purchase were hydro thunder and star wars episode 1 racer.

The laughing face means I was joking, I haven't pirated a game in years. I actually went back and bought games that I had pirated because I felt bad (to the extent I was able, I'm not made of money and can't afford to pay for all of them).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The laughing face means I was joking, I haven't pirated a game in years. I actually went back and bought games that I had pirated because I felt bad (to the extent I was able, I'm not made of money and can't afford to pay for all of them).

Generally, piracy is looked down on here, comments about piracy in this thread are pretty much joking.

Once you've been here a while you'll realise that this is a fairly hardcore games forum. A lot of devs stop by here from time to time, and in general, the community holds quite a lot of interest in the games industry as a whole, not just the games. There's an understanding that if you like something, you want to support it, and if you don't support it, you're less likely to get a sequel or anything like it later on. A lot of games have suffered that fate.

I mean I know for me personally, I don't pirate games, not because of any sense of "morality" (the copyright system's pretty freaking skewed right now anyway, but that's a different topic), but because when I see something awesome like World of Goo, I want those devs to succeed and continue making awesome stuff. Heck, if possible I prefer to buy it direct from them instead of a third party site like Steam, because that way they get more money (and I usually get a DRM free copy, which is also nice).

Serious talk of how you pirated a dozen of the latest games ("but they all sucked so it's OK") generally just marks you out as an idiot.

/Saturday morning cartoon morality lesson. Winners don't use drugs.

subedii on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dunno what you all are talking about but sometimes I pirate games I don't even own just to make people go out of business. I dream that one day PC gaming won't even exist because everything is pirated the moment it's coded.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Empire.

Total.

War.

this, combined with your avatar is wonderful.

Langly on
    edited August 2009
    ah, gotcha. i've been places where pirates were pretty open and unapologetic about what they did; i wasn't sure about this community yet.

and of course there's the usual "sarcasm is impossible to detect online" thing :P

good to know!

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png