As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini] Deus Ex Phalla - Vandenburg Scientists Victorious

1151617181921»

• NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I didn't have a mason :( I feel so alone.

Hey now. You got to be JC while I was a secretary :P

Speaking of which, I like what Bremen did with putting each person's role in the OP. Sometimes you have to search around a bit to find out a player's role if they're not dead.

Nocturne on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    having 1 kill ability for the mafia that was tied to 1 character meant that we would have to make the game last 10 days to win while we still had the kill....

If you had had a standard mafia win condition, I'd agree. Treating this game like a normal phalla wasn't only a problem for the village.

you think we could have convinced 10 other people on day one that voting for a random phrase would have beena possible?

no.

how many days would it take for us to control the vote assuming that none of us died and we didn't try to grey death anyone who was immune... 5

Negotiation is an art, Duna. I pulled off some crazy info gathering and dispersal this game, an MJ-12 member could have done the exact same thing.

Burnage on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    having 1 kill ability for the mafia that was tied to 1 character meant that we would have to make the game last 10 days to win while we still had the kill....

If you had had a standard mafia win condition, I'd agree. Treating this game like a normal phalla wasn't only a problem for the village.

you think we could have convinced 10 other people on day one that voting for a random phrase would have beena possible?

no.

how many days would it take for us to control the vote assuming that none of us died and we didn't try to grey death anyone who was immune... 5

Negotiation is an art, Duna. I pulled off some crazy info gathering and dispersal this game, an MJ-12 member could have done the exact same thing.

having nothing to lose helps.

even if we had known every single special on day 0, we didn't have the power to actually do anything about it. 'ahahaha look at all the specials revealed to us! now give us 4-5 days to kill them all...'

Dunadan019 on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I feel like I got just a little screwed in this game. And as much as I would like to grudge you Burn, I can't grudge someone for good playing.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

no.

even if we had known every single special on day 0, we didn't have the power to actually do anything about it. 'ahahaha look at all the specials revealed to us! now give us 4-5 days to kill them all...'

With how the vig kills were structured you could have eliminated almost all of them if you knew who they were.

Paul gets an odd day vote.. gray death him day 1, JC day 2, with no ambrosia. They'd only get 1 vig total each.

Tiffany savage got a day 2 vig but couldn't guard herself, so you could kill her day 1, Harley filben day 2, Gordon Quick day 3.

That way you'd only have faced 3 vigs ever; and without vigs the factions would be trying to manipulate the vote for their victory conditions, saving you from that too.

If the Mafia had been the only ones with the role call info they almost certainly would have won.

Bremen on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think you should totally call the green vote now, Bremen.

Wildcat on
    edited August 2009
    Combined with the villagers who died early, we're currently at 6 yes and 1 no out of 16 villagers, yeah, I think that's safe enough to call.

Victory to the Dentons as well, Wildcat and Shalmelo.

Bremen on
    edited August 2009
    Woohoo! The Main Character rides again! And his brother.

Wildcat on
    edited August 2009
    Bremen wrote: »

no.

With how the vig kills were structured you could have eliminated almost all of them if you knew who they were.

Paul gets an odd day vote.. gray death him day 1, JC day 2, with no ambrosia. They'd only get 1 vig total each.

Tiffany savage got a day 2 vig but couldn't guard herself, so you could kill her day 1, Harley filben day 2, Gordon Quick day 3.

That way you'd only have faced 3 vigs ever; and without vigs the factions would be trying to manipulate the vote for their victory conditions, saving you from that too.

If the Mafia had been the only ones with the role call info they almost certainly would have won.

think about what you are saying though.

you just put together the most optimum scenario for the mafia and there were STILL 2 kills and it STILL would have taken 3 days.

If the perfect mafia-do-everything-right scenario (and of course not losing their vig on day 2 like we did...) still takes longer to kill all the vigs (let alone win) than the actual game took.... then there's something wrong.

Dunadan019 on
    edited August 2009
    In any using mafia/phalla mechanics the quickest possible victory is always going to be a villager one, if they land all the kills on the mafia. The mafia survive by diverting suspicion, or getting lucky. In this game, the mafia was neither of these things.

You seem to feel the rules were against you; I disagree. You needed to last to day 5 to have a chance of victory, and with the abilities you had you could have easily done that if you'd made proper use of them. Instead, all of MJ12 sat back passively using their abilities and hoping for good luck, while some of the villagers and factions aggressively worked out the game and made alliances (and then backstabbed their allies, as I expected from the start). Part of the reason MJ12 got rolled up was bad luck, but partly it was because you ignored your abilities and tried to win by not sticking out, despite my warnings that the game couldn't be won this way.

At the very least, I feel MJ12 had as good a chance at a victory as any of the major factions.

Bremen on
    edited August 2009
    Dunadan, I think the question you need to ask yourself is "if Burnage had been part of the MJ-12, would they have won the game?"
    The correct answer is yes, they would.

Burnage on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There was a lot of information out there that kinda screwed us too, TBH. Esp. the piece that gave starting faction numbers. And when the other two un-masoned people are Paul and JC, my cover role didn't stand a chance.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
    edited August 2009
    Dunadan, I think the question you need to ask yourself is "if Burnage had been part of the MJ-12, would they have won the game?"

the correct answer is Only if you were playing against a bunch of 3 year olds

Kudos for treating an unbalanced game like it was perfectly fine since you won though.

Dunadan019 on
    edited August 2009

the correct answer is Only if you were playing against a bunch of 3 year olds

Kudos for treating an unbalanced game like it was perfectly fine since you won though.

Did I say it was balanced? No, and faction games are always naturally biased against the "mafia" faction. But it was nowhere near as bad you think it was. The only thing I really agree with was Kuhlmeye being screwed over, which could have been alleviated by MJ-12 starting with a fake piece of information saying MJ-12 had either four or six members; not five.

If any of you had joined a faction on night one the neutral factions would not have found you. They had no suspicions whatsoever that MJ-12 were capable of that, and it was only on night two that the paired members of MJ-12 got hit by the "well, one member of the pair turned up evil, sooo..." syndrome.

Burnage on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To really illustrate this to you, I thought Rawk forged that PM from Bremen saying that you joined the Illuminati.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I personally think the game would be good with some more rp- elements, as much as I know some people hate them.

Some things I might consider

1.) Have a mandatory buddy system as opposed to pure mason. I might make them have something in common (either faction or rumor) with the potential of something else happening.

2.) Insert more choices. This would stray from phalla, but if you look at the Fallout Phalla that ran. You may want to integrate choices along those lines. Also this may allow people who joined up with the losing faction to still have a feasible chance.

3.) I would get rid of name roles to be honest, just because of the "who are you" thing

Egos on
  • LemmingHeadLemmingHead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I didn't have a mason :( I feel so alone.

Hey now. You got to be JC while I was a secretary :P

Well, the nice thing is, you did have some great "goods". I only got to help you "unload" them.

LemmingHead on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] hugs!
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Short game. I kinda watched this one but damn, was it 4 days long?

samurai6966 on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

yes, it was an expert phalla for big names

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

Why do you always act like that? Did I pee in your cereal today?

samurai6966 on
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

Why do you always act like that? Did I pee in your cereal today?

Oh the irony.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am now a big name player.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited August 2009
    You pricks are going to make me start a game of Deus Ex.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You pricks are going to make me start a game of Deus Ex.

that's right, play JC "Big Name" Denton.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Oh god not while I'm doing another Fallout 3 run, and get Batman: Arkham Asylum tomorrow.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm a big name failer.

Seriously on
    edited August 2009
    I'm certainly not big name.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    With five syllables, that's debatable.

Thanks very much for hosting, Bremen, it was massive fun (once I got past the 'oh shit' fear-moment on seeing my role PM's title :P).

Wildcat on
    edited August 2009
    With five syllables, that's debatable.

Thanks very much for hosting, Bremen, it was massive fun (once I got past the 'oh shit' fear-moment on seeing my role PM's title :P).

To be honest, I considered the Dentons to be a tough role, or atleast they would have been without Burn's rolecall. No network and a victory condition that makes killing random people likely to backfire quite badly.

Bremen on