As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Batman comics

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been getting back into Comics. Batman is my favorite character thanks to BTAS, Batman and Superman, JL/JLU, BTAS:NA and Batman Beyond. It is no surprise as they made him a total badass in all of those cartoons.

Anyway, I've been trying to grab a hold of what has happened since never really reading batman comics. I've read the 3 Crisis arcs(I should read the OMAC deal, cause that was the most interesting part of Final Crisis for me). Before this I read "Hush" a couple years ago, and that was awesome.

Anyway, I finished Final Crisis and liked it. Read Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and liked it. I have been trying to read Batman RIP, but I find myself getting confused and bored quickly after picking it up. Im half way through RIP and I don't think I can finish it. Is there a little backstory somewhere that will give me more insight on what is happening? This Zur en Arrgh crap and Jezebel Jet(who the hell is she) is fucking terrible and seems so out of character for the ominous Batman I know.

Should I just forget about RIP and move onto the newer stuff. I might read Battle For the Cowl, as that sounds like an interesting premise, but I know who gets the cowl and I hear I can skip it without too much trouble. Are there any cool fights in it and/or drama between characters?

P.S. I don't give a shit about Batgirl. Tim Drake is my favorite Robin(I like Dick as Nightwing much more than when he was Robin). Sorry for the jumbled post, as you see I could use some help.

Buddies on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should have read Grant Morrison's other Batman arcs (The Black Glove and Batman & Son) before getting to R.I.P.

Battle for the Cowl sucks. Nothing cool happens.

If you liked Hush and the cartoon, you should check out Dini's Heart of Hush story. Dini's prior arcs on Detective Comics were also generally good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You should have read Grant Morrison's other Batman arcs (The Black Glove and Batman & Son) before getting to R.I.P.

Battle for the Cowl sucks. Nothing cool happens.

If you liked Hush and the cartoon, you should check out Dini's Heart of Hush story. Dini's prior arcs on Detective Comics were also generally good.

Some of the Battle of the Cowl stuff is still referenced in the current books.
    Specifically the burning down of Arkham, the escape of all the crazies and the new Black Hand (or the old one, they don't seem to care about giving us an answer to that one) instantly swooping in and becoming Gotham's biggest crime boss (again).
    But otherwise? Yeah, it's a pointless, dumb read and the current books tell you enough to figure out whose who.

And yeah, you really shouldn't of read RIP before reading Batman and Son and Black Glove. That's why you have no idea what's going on.

P.S. If you were awesome, you'd care about Batgirl. Not reading crap like Hush would be a good first step, reading No Mans Land would be a fantastic second step.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hush has pretty pictures.

And it isn't all bad. I enjoyed the Cat Woman scenes and the Superman scenes.

Lucascraft on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Superman scenes are good because that is the only character Loeb truly understands. But the mystery ending wasn't really a mystery. It did have purdy art.

Really, Batman hasn't had any good big bat-events in recent years. RIP is a mixed bag, the best thing was the Nightwing tie ins that didn't really tie into it. Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive, having read it a few months ago, was really weak, and just kind of gave out at the end. Joker: Last Laugh was a pile of junk. War Games was entirely skippable.

No Man's Land was great though.

And Paul Dini's Detective Comics work is really really good. As is Tomasi's Nightwing stuff. And yes, you should check out Batgirl.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive was awesome

Same with War Games. I didn't like the outcome (that's now been fixed) but I enjoyed the event itself. Although I only read it in trades

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    I only read the trades of Bruce Wayne Fugitive. I liked the Brubaker/McDaniel issues, and the Batgirl issue where she re-enacts the crime, but the Rucka Detective issues and GCPD parts really bring the story down for me.

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The new Outsiders are not as cool as the old Outsiders, but the series is basically new and the team is led by Alfred, so it's worth reading.

Hensler on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    The new Outsiders are not as cool as the old Outsiders, but the series is basically new and the team is led by Alfred, so it's worth reading.

I think the book has been really bland since Tomasi took over, which is a shame because I really do like his other work and did previously like the Outsiders. Maybe it just needs to hit its stride.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did they ever really adequately explain why the team was suddenly different after Bruce died? I think I might have read the first issue after Tomasi took over, nor did I really pay that much attention in the Tieri issues, and I faintly recall something about Bruce leaving instructions about who should be on the team, but I thought it was really weird that half the team just suddenly disappeared, never to be referenced again.

The whole book has been sort of a weird disaster ever since it started, though, so I guess I don't really blame Tomasi for essentially starting from scratch.

Darth Nat on
    edited August 2009
    Yes, it was a brand new build of Outsiders made by Alfred, based on some contingency plans Bruce made that activated when he "died" (he never checked in for a week or something, sending the dead signal). That's why it's basically the old team.

It is slow. It started pretty good, then it sank with the last few issues. #21 was good, and acknowledging "Hey, your original plan is on hold because there are zombies everywhere. You're on your own, k thx bye xo Alfred." Dixon's issues were fun, especially when the Dibny's showed up and Bruce was like "What took you so long?"

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gosh, how many "MUST PUT IN CODE XYZTTLZP EVERY 36 HOURS OR ASSUME DEAD" does Batman have?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    Only two. The other one cancels his Netflix account.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    I wonder if he has a contingency to make sure he doesn't keep getting charged for X-Box Live, too.

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    Batman has a plan for everything.

Brother Eye? Made specifically to let him cheat on Live.

TexiKen on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    Just read that interview with Miller that was posted in the last thread. Glad to see he'll be working Cassandra into the book. Cass and Stephanie are supposed to be really close friends, so I'm hoping for a lot of interaction there instead of just ignoring that Cass exists.

I also have to say I've really been enjoying Dick Grayson as the new Batman. I've been reading Streets of Gotham and Batman and Robin and both have some excellent characterization. Damian is even growing on me a little bit and I hated the idea of him when he was first created.

Also how has Detective Comics been? I dropped it when Dini left and I'm curious how it's been.

Has there been an issue that shows Cass meeting Stephanie again after
    thinking she was dead
    ?

I've been curious to see her reaction.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited August 2009
    I don't believe there has been. Maybe in The Network one-shot they showed something.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't believe there has been. Maybe in The Network one-shot they showed something.

Well, that just leads me to my follow-up question: Has anyone actually done a good job of writing Batgirl?

Now I've only read a few TPBs here and there, and completely ignored that whole villain bullshit they pulled off, but it continues to look like no one's actually done a decent job with Cassandra Cain. The character has a lot of potential; she's basically Batman if Bats threw away his Bruce Wayne identity. For her, it's the costume first, and the normal identity third or fourth. She also went against her own upbringing as an assassin for hire because the symbol of Batman means everything to her. This is good material here. It makes her a badass character, but also a tragic one. Bruce should relate to her, since he's almost walked that path himself several times.

But instead of identifying with her, Bruce treats her like shit, and even quotes that he prefers her to be "an efficient weapon". Only recently does he play the father role he should have done sooner, and that was after the writer shoehorned that sentiment after constant bitching.

And for the one relationship that actually was handled well, Spoiler and Cass, they actually skip over their reunion? Seriously? To top it off, it sounds like she's been written off yet again. Is there really no one capable in DC to do Cass justice?

This is why I continue to hope she makes an appearance in some form in one of the animated DCUs. In the hands of Dini and/or Timm, I'm confident Batgirl would be handled perfectly, just like 99% of DC's characters.

Speaking of which, I wasn't aware Dini was writing for Detective Comics, but I'm sure as hell interested in reading the stories. Are they in TPB yet?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batman has a plan for everything.

Brother Eye? Made specifically to let him cheat on Live.

Then it achieved awareness and took issue with Guy Gardner calling it a "faggot n00b ham doctor" and decided to eradicate all superhumans.

KalTorak on
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009

Well, that just leads me to my follow-up question: Has anyone actually done a good job of writing Batgirl?

Now I've only read a few TPBs here and there, and completely ignored that whole villain bullshit they pulled off, but it continues to look like no one's actually done a decent job with Cassandra Cain. The character has a lot of potential; she's basically Batman if Bats threw away his Bruce Wayne identity. For her, it's the costume first, and the normal identity third or fourth. She also went against her own upbringing as an assassin for hire because the symbol of Batman means everything to her. This is good material here. It makes her a badass character, but also a tragic one. Bruce should relate to her, since he's almost walked that path himself several times.

But instead of identifying with her, Bruce treats her like shit, and even quotes that he prefers her to be "an efficient weapon". Only recently does he play the father role he should have done sooner, and that was after the writer shoehorned that sentiment after constant bitching.

Batgirl's series, except for the last arc which Robos mentioned, is very very good. the Plunkett/Scott run made her a fun character worth reading about. It kind of followed that old RPG type where the main character doesn't really talk much, but everyone else does around them.

Chuck Dixon had a good grasp of her character, as did Joe Kelly and Brubaker.

The biggest trouble you have with some people in Batgirl is that she is supposed to be the best fighter of the Bat family, but people can't get over the "Bruce is the best at everything" angle to let that sink in.
    And for the one relationship that actually was handled well, Spoiler and Cass, they actually skip over their reunion? Seriously? To top it off, it sounds like she's been written off yet again. Is there really no one capable in DC to do Cass justice?

This is why I continue to hope she makes an appearance in some form in one of the animated DCUs. In the hands of Dini and/or Timm, I'm confident Batgirl would be handled perfectly, just like 99% of DC's characters.

Speaking of which, I wasn't aware Dini was writing for Detective Comics, but I'm sure as hell interested in reading the stories. Are they in TPB yet?

Dini's Detective Comics run is collected thusly, mustly, thrustly:
    Batman: Detective
    Batman: Death and the City
    Batman: Private Casebook
    Batman: Heart of Hush

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I thought Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive was awesome

Same with War Games. I didn't like the outcome (that's now been fixed) but I enjoyed the event itself. Although I only read it in trades

Yeah, I loved Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive.

I can't stand War Games though. The whole thing seemed way too contrived.

The most recent Batman events have been pretty crap really. Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul read like it was editorially dictated and none of the writers wanted to bother with it. Batman RIP wasn't even an event, more of a story arc that editorial decided to try and turn into an event. Battle for the Cowl was utter crap.

Edit: Yes, Batgirl's solo series was fantastic up until Gabrych started writing it. It really sucks that most of her series aren't available in trades though.

Unco-ordinated on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batman Arkham Asylum. Best game ever*. That is all. *goes back to playing*

*ever is a very subjective timeframe, but definitely best this year

KVW on
    edited August 2009
    That's only because Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 hasn't come out yet!

Faynor on
    edited August 2009

Batgirl's series, except for the last arc which Robos mentioned, is very very good. the Plunkett/Scott run made her a fun character worth reading about. It kind of followed that old RPG type where the main character doesn't really talk much, but everyone else does around them.

The biggest trouble you have with some people in Batgirl is that she is supposed to be the best fighter of the Bat family, but people can't get over the "Bruce is the best at everything" angle to let that sink in.

Hmm, I kind of chalked it up to the Robin fanbase in holding her back. Technically speaking she's the best successor for Batman, but of course purists can't have Robin be out-shadowed like that.

Or DC just can't write their female characters for shit, which I hear mentioned often concerning other characters (and the whole Spoiler thing, which WOULDN'T have been a bad idea had it been handled correctly).

If I was ever given the opportunity as a writer, and I had the chance to choose, I would handle Batgirl over Batman. I could probably do better justice for Bats by writing him as a third-person/mentor figure.

• Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    thinking she was dead
    ?

I've heard that supposedly Nicieza was going to write such a scene if the Robin series hadn't been canceled. Alas, we are left to think about what could have been.

I'm hoping that we get a flashback to that scene in the current Batgirl comic. It would seem like the perfect place for it if Cass is indeed going to play some roll in the book. It seems like such a horrible oversight that no one wrote their reunion, especially since they had at least one meeting post-retcon where they acted like they didn't even know each other.

And I'll second that Batgirl's series is mostly good, save for some issues in the middle and at the end. I especially liked the arc focusing on Batgirl's time in Bludhaven, when she gets to fight the Brotherhood of Evil and Deathstroke and Ravager. Heck, I even think the last arc is okay, minus the Lazara thing.

Darth Nat on
    edited August 2009
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    thinking she was dead
    ?

I've heard that supposedly Nicieza was going to write such a scene if the Robin series hadn't been canceled. Alas, we are left to think about what could have been.

I'm hoping that we get a flashback to that scene in the current Batgirl comic. It would seem like the perfect place for it if Cass is indeed going to play some roll in the book. It seems like such a horrible oversight that no one wrote their reunion, especially since they had at least one meeting post-retcon where they acted like they didn't even know each other.

And I'll second that Batgirl's series is mostly good, save for some issues in the middle and at the end. I especially liked the arc focusing on Batgirl's time in Bludhaven, when she gets to fight the Brotherhood of Evil and Deathstroke and Ravager. Heck, I even think the last arc is okay, minus the Lazara thing.

I imagine the reunion would go something like this.
    Cass is silent, mouth hanging slightly open.

She curls her hand into a fist, and punches out Stephanie, who lands on the floor.

Cass stands above her, face filled with rage.

"Why didn't you tell me!?" she shouts. "After everything that's happened, if I at least knew you weren't..."

Her eyes well up, as tears begin to fall from her face.

The anger has left her face, and she clutches Stephanie tightly, no longer holding back her tears.

Well, that's how I would like it.

edited August 2009
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    thinking she was dead
    ?

She curls her hand into a fist, and punches out Stephanie, who lands on the floor.

"Why didn't you tell me!?" she shouts. "After everything that's happened, if I at least knew you weren't..."

The anger has left her face, and she clutches Stephanie tightly, no longer holding back her tears.

And then they have "back from the dead, but not really" sex? Nice.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

I'm surprised people are still playing those games. I got bored of it mid-way through X-Men Legends 1...

Unco-ordinated on
    edited August 2009

Hmm, I kind of chalked it up to the Robin fanbase in holding her back. Technically speaking she's the best successor for Batman, but of course purists can't have Robin be out-shadowed like that.

Or DC just can't write their female characters for shit, which I hear mentioned often concerning other characters (and the whole Spoiler thing, which WOULDN'T have been a bad idea had it been handled correctly).

If I was ever given the opportunity as a writer, and I had the chance to choose, I would handle Batgirl over Batman. I could probably do better justice for Bats by writing him as a third-person/mentor figure.

Batgirl isn't a good detective though. She's decent, but nowhere near the level of Dick or Tim. She would never honestly be in a position to take over the mantle, but she would always be a good right or left hand to the person behind the cowl. As she herself said despite what was shown in Batgirl #1, she fights not for Bruce but for the symbol, what Batman represents.

And DC can handle their female characters well for the most part, it's just the writers who don't know what to do with them Sterling Gates is killing on Supergirl, making her so much more likable than she has been in years. Greg Rucka and Gail Simone do a good Wonder Woman. If you ever look at Scans Daily a lot of the posters there think every time a female is beat up or captured it's rampant Misogyny, when it's not. It could be bad storytelling, or the writer wanting to use their pet character to save the day. It doesn't necessarily mean a female being beaten up is something more than just that.

TexiKen on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In general, though, DC has written its female characters horribly.

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2009

Batgirl isn't a good detective though. She's decent, but nowhere near the level of Dick or Tim. She would never honestly be in a position to take over the mantle, but she would always be a good right or left hand to the person behind the cowl. As she herself said despite what was shown in Batgirl #1, she fights not for Bruce but for the symbol, what Batman represents.

There was a future story, I want to say it was in Robin, that had Tim and Cassie sharing the role of "Batman" in the future. He did all the investigating, gadget-ing, and detective work, and she did all the ass kicking. It worked really well.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009

Sorry but that's terrible and completely out of character (though I suppose it's not your fault if you've read Beechen's shit).

I haven't read my Batgirl comics for a year or two but Cass probably would've looked confused for a few seconds/panels before grinning and hugging Stephanie. Then some store would've been robbed, Cass would've knocked Steph out (so she wouldn't go hurt herself again) and proceeded to kick some thieves asses.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

No way, dude. It won't even come close to Arkham Asylum

I mean, it could, but Arkham Asylum is seriously like the best game this year so far

Garlic Bread on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arkham Asylum is fucking awesome, it throws all kinds of shit at you. I haven't said "HOLY SHIT" this many times since I played the first God of War.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited August 2009
    Is Nightwing or Robin in it?

I liked the demo a lot (I haven't played a game in months) outside of the camera, but I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

Although I know someone is going to kill themselves with the Batarang that comes with the Collector's Edition. That thing screams "throw me at your little brother!"

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009

Sorry but that's terrible and completely out of character (though I suppose it's not your fault if you've read Beechen's shit).

I haven't read my Batgirl comics for a year or two but Cass probably would've looked confused for a few seconds/panels before grinning and hugging Stephanie. Then some store would've been robbed, Cass would've knocked Steph out (so she wouldn't go hurt herself again) and proceeded to kick some thieves asses.

Really? I figured she'd be the one person to actually be pissed that her best friend had lied to her like that.

Either way, I'll take it over whatever they had planned. Which at this point seems to be nothing.

edited August 2009
    Is Nightwing or Robin in it?

Nope. And the batarang is attached to a stand.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    I hope they play it smart and add a bunch of DLC episodes though, including playable Nightwing.

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i hope they do nothing of the sort and immediately begin the sequel.

Angry on
This discussion has been closed.