As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Abstinence] Sex and the Lack There Of

14567810»

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I believe the Sperm-spilling-is-horrible meme came from the times it was believed that the sperm was the only active part of baby making. The men provided the seed, and the women provided the field to sow it in. Nowadays we understand that it truly takes two to tango, and both man and woman provide part of the baby.

Of course, there's still the "keep it in marriage" part of why it's considered bad,.

Catholics also (traditionally) believe in creating more believers... so you should be using your baby-glue for growing more Catholics, not spraying it about all namby-pamby like some sexy Jackson Pollack imitator.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    I believe the Sperm-spilling-is-horrible meme came from the times it was believed that the sperm was the only active part of baby making. The men provided the seed, and the women provided the field to sow it in. Nowadays we understand that it truly takes two to tango, and both man and woman provide part of the baby.

Of course, there's still the "keep it in marriage" part of why it's considered bad,.

Catholics also (traditionally) believe in creating more believers... so you should be using your baby-glue for growing more Catholics, not spraying it about all namby-pamby like some sexy Jackson Pollack imitator.

I know several priests, who at least in private counseling, disagree with the church on their "no protected sex ever, sex is only for babies, make us more Catholics" stance.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

But my baby glue is just going to be reabsorbed into my body anyway.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jclast wrote: »

I know several priests, who at least in private counseling, disagree with the church on their "no protected sex ever, sex is only for babies, make us more Catholics" stance.

Well yeah, thus the "traditionally" caveat.

Chanus on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    REally the whole term "baby glue" is open to funny sexual double entendres.

WMain00 on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think "mammal sauce" is a better term

TL DR on
    edited August 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »

Or non-sexual ones!

"I just can't make these babies stay in one place!"

"Try Baby Glue! (by Mennen)"

Chanus on
    edited August 2009

If you actually try to use it to glue a baby to something, you're going to get some strange looks.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The whole "Don't masturbate/wear condoms" thing goes back to the Old Testament. Look up a dude named Onan. He's the reason for that rule. He's also the first person to use the "pull out" method. We should've learned from his example, and that the pull-out method is fraught with peril.

Usually not from smiting from God, but from accidental pregnancies.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where did the whole "condoms have holes viruses can get though!" meme in abstinence people come from anyway?

It sounds like it's based on a complete misunderstanding of the porosity or cross-linking of latex. Also microbiology, surface science etc etc.

electricitylikesme on
    edited August 2009

Yeah. I just think it's interesting that even though the official stance hasn't changed contemporary Catholics and much of the priesthood (if my experience is not atypical) are much more open-minded about sex being a biological necessity and not some necessary evil that is only useful for making more Catholics.
    Every time I have tried to type Catholic this morning it comes out Chaotic and I have to go fix it. Weird.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2009
    Where did the whole "condoms have holes viruses can get though!" meme in abstinence people come from anyway?

It sounds like it's based on a complete misunderstanding of the porosity or cross-linking of latex. Also microbiology, surface science etc etc.

I imagine it came from abstinence only folks wanting to shoot holes (ba-dum-tish) in the "safe sex is better than unsafe sex, and we can't stop the kids anyway" line of sensible thinking.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah. I just think it's interesting that even though the official stance hasn't changed contemporary Catholics and much of the priesthood (if my experience is not atypical) are much more open-minded about sex being a biological necessity and not some necessary evil that is only useful for making more Catholics.
    Every time I have tried to type Catholic this morning it comes out Chaotic and I have to go fix it. Weird.
    As I said, the sunday school teachers did not call sex evil at all; said it was a good thing, a necessary thing, part of life, etc.

They just wanted you to bareback your spouse, and only your spouse.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited August 2009

Too much dungeons and dragons.

Also Catholics are probably more those wishy washy True Good types. The ones that you really don't want in your party because heaven forfend if you decide to beat a guy to death and steal his money.

WMain00 on
    edited August 2009
    Also Catholics are probably more those wishy washy True Good types. The ones that you really don't want in your party because heaven forfend if you decide to beat a guy to death and steal his money.

You don't know much about our history, do you? =)

Chanus on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2009

The Church of The Silver Flame in Eberron is labelled lawful good, despite committing acts of massive genocide back in the day...

you can make the argument that eradicating what is portrayed in your culture as evil, for the sake of all mankind, is lawful good... those I am sure the goblins don't see it that way.

But wow, a bit off topic here.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited August 2009
    syndalis wrote: »

The Church of The Silver Flame in Eberron is labelled lawful good, despite committing acts of massive genocide back in the day...

you can make the argument that eradicating what is portrayed in your culture as evil, for the sake of all mankind, is lawful good... those I am sure the goblins don't see it that way.

But wow, a bit off topic here.

I've thrown D&D into the topic! Flee!

Also no I don't; I was born a Protestant. DON'T BURN ME!!

WMain00 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A couple years ago my old Catholic priest gave a sermon advocating condom use, specifically citing the case of AIDS-ridden Africa. He knew it was going to be a touchy subject, so he printed up copies of the sermon and urged the parish to take one and think about it, instead of flying into a rage or just forgetting about it.

My dad ended up writing a formal letter to the bishop complaining about the sermon. In reply he got a handwritten note from the bishop which, in essence, said "if you've got a problem with it, take it up with the priest."

Anecdotal, but it makes me wonder if in a lot of cases the parishioners are more stubborn and conservative than the clergy.

KalTorak on
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    A couple years ago my old Catholic priest gave a sermon advocating condom use, specifically citing the case of AIDS-ridden Africa. He knew it was going to be a touchy subject, so he printed up copies of the sermon and urged the parish to take one and think about it, instead of flying into a rage or just forgetting about it.

My dad ended up writing a formal letter to the bishop complaining about the sermon. In reply he got a handwritten note from the bishop which, in essence, said "if you've got a problem with it, take it up with the priest."

Anecdotal, but it makes me wonder if in a lot of cases the parishioners are more stubborn and conservative than the clergy.

Oh yeah, definitely. Priests of all kinds basically spend all day listening to people talk about their problems; I imagine most of them have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the world, even if their opinions about it are sometimes misguided. By comparison, the average conservative religious family is highly insulated from things that don't happen to them personally-- or rather haven't yet. That story doesn't really surprise me at all.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I imagine it came from abstinence only folks wanting to shoot holes (ba-dum-tish) in the "safe sex is better than unsafe sex, and we can't stop the kids anyway" line of sensible thinking.

Oh man, I was wondering about this whole thing a few months back. There was a guy in my WoW guild who claimed that "condoms don't prevent AIDS because latex is porous" but I'd been online for way too long and didn't feel like arguing. I had never heard that one before, but admittedly I don't really pay much attention to the abstinence-only arguments.

SteevL on
    edited August 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

Oh man, I was wondering about this whole thing a few months back. There was a guy in my WoW guild who claimed that "condoms don't prevent AIDS because latex is porous" but I'd been online for way too long and didn't feel like arguing. I had never heard that one before, but admittedly I don't really pay much attention to the abstinence-only arguments.

This is true of "lambskin" (sheep intestine) condoms. That's probably where it started from.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Adrien wrote: »

This is true of "lambskin" (sheep intestine) condoms. That's probably where it started from.

Also socks.

Chanus on
    edited August 2009

Also socks.

No, I mean they have holes which are small enough to block sperm, but through which HIV (and presumably some other STIs) can pass.

And yes, I realize that was a joke :P

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also socks.

And cheesecloth.

KalTorak on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah, when he first brought it up I clarified and said "you're just talking about the lambskin ones, though" and he said "no, latex is a porous material." Then I logged off and went to bed, absolutely sure he was wrong, but not really willing to post weblinks into guild chat.

SteevL on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But not Saran Wrap.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    But not Saran Wrap.

Unless it is microwaveable saran wrap.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
    edited August 2009

Yeah, when he first brought it up I clarified and said "you're just talking about the lambskin ones, though" and he said "no, latex is a porous material." Then I logged off and went to bed, absolutely sure he was wrong, but not really willing to post weblinks into guild chat.

Sure, well technically speaking he's right on that point. I mean, matter is a porous material :P

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sometimes I wish I could hit people with a sledgehammer. As a member of the medical sciences I do not get a kick out of people telling me that I'm part of a vast over-reaching conspiracy instead of a generally underpaid and overworked tireless group of people.

Robman on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My 7th grade sex ed teacher (aforementioned evil crone) told us there was no such thing as anal sex.

TL DR on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

what did she think would happen

tear in the space time continuum?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

what did she think would happen

tear in the space time colon?

I imagine she just condescendingly implied that no one has anal sex therefore it doesn't exist.

Dman on
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure an anus = mouth metaphor could be made to explain her position...

Something along the lines of her speaking bullshit, and therefore her asshole is her mouth... and so it's oral...

I'm sleepy.

Chanus on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    She didn't know what masturbation was for FSM's sake! Is there a site she can go to find out about these things so she can get the constant sexual references in movies and stuff?
    Variable wrote: »
    show her, preferably in a sexy, non-pervy way.

I don't think I could pull it off but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Were you a writer for The Office, by chance?

BubbaT on