As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DS Homebrew Thread: Still Alive

1222324252628»

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    Legba wrote: »
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Just let me know when there is a good card for the DSi. I just want to be able to play my Quake and Doom on the go.

There aren't any cards out that work for the DSi yet.

The DSi takes SD cards - when it's cracked, you won't need an adapter.

Until they patch it the next day.

That's my biggest fear.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Box wrote: »
    the acekard2 works swimmingly for the DSi.

Well that's good news.

Legba on
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EDIT:hmm
    it helps to find and read setup instructions.

ndstt.com

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Warcraft tower defence...on my DS?
    http://ndswtd.wordpress.com/

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I love how there is a game called "Desktop Tower Defense", and its on the DS

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Warcraft tower defence doesnt work on my r4 with Ysmenu, so glad desktop tower defence is out

Mangaroo on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I'm thinking of picking up one of those nifty Acekard2i for my DSi, and was reading the OP. How well does the Descent game play? I loved that game and actually still have my old disk lying around.

Zerokku on
  • SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If anyone out there, like me, spent countless hours in their youth with Choose Your Own Adventure type books (specifically Joe Dever's Lone Wolf series), then I have a tasty nugget of DS homebrew to which I would like to direct your attention.

Lone Wolf DS

battle-780802.jpg

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That really is a sweet piece of homebrew. It looks good, plays smoothly, and best of all, your save is persistent - once you've beaten the first game, the second game loads with your previous save and continues your character.

I really hope he releases the third book in the series soon.

Legba on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's truly awesome. I was way into Lone Wolf as a young lad.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe I am doing something wrong. I downloaded the files, extracted the .nds file, tossed it on my R4, but when I chose the game I get a pair of black screens. All of my other games play fine. I even tried loading the game into a NDS emulator and got the same thing. Redownloaded, same. Tried the arm7 replacement thing, no change. Advice?

travathian on
    edited June 2009
    Man, I don't know. It just worked for me. I'm using an R4 as well. For what it's worth, I keep my games in a separate folder off of the root (/-Games/).

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I keep my games in a games subfolder as well. No clue what I am doing wrong. Did you have to do that DLDI thing to get it to work? I tried DLDI file and program I found, no change. The second part at least shows that its loading, but still just sits there. The original just gives me two black screens.

travathian on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just got a DSi and I'm looking into some homebrew options. Can someone recommend a cart from somewhere aside from dealextreme? They only take paypal and that's not an option for me. Thanks in advance.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Posting your location in something other than lat/long might help. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited June 2009
    Pardon me, Midwestern US. I've read a lot of the carts that work for the DS don't work for the DSi, and I don't want to make a mistake on my purchase.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    I just got a DSi and I'm looking into some homebrew options. Can someone recommend a cart from somewhere aside from dealextreme? They only take paypal and that's not an option for me. Thanks in advance.

realhotstuff.com and acekard 2i (I think it's called)

I'd use realhotstuff over dealextreme any day of the week. They've been extremely reliable.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the Acekard 2i seems to be the new hotness for DSi-compatible cards.

Edit - It's got upgradeable software/firmware, so it'll probably be the standard game of cat-and-mouse between Nintendo and the Acekard guys to stay one step ahead of each other.

I can't seem to get to many US-based sale sites, they're all getting blocked for some reason, but modchip.ca and others are just fine ... o_O

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited June 2009
    Thank you, good sir. That Acekard model is reliable with the DSi?

Edit: Poop.. All the acekards were out of stock at realhotstuff.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I ordered an Acekard 2 off realhotstuff today, and I was curious if there was any compelling reason to use the official firmware instead of AKAIO, which seems to be a bit more feature-rich?

I Zimbra on
    edited August 2009

Edit - It's got upgradeable software/firmware, so it'll probably be the standard game of cat-and-mouse between Nintendo and the Acekard guys to stay one step ahead of each other.

Well the Acekard update for 1.4 compatibility is going to make it damn near impossible for nintendo to block them. From my limited understanding the patch attaches a "Header" to the Acekard rom that makes the system read it as if it was a retail game (In this case Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle). As far as the ds can tell it's a legitimate retail game.

Now if my understanding is correct, pretty much the only way nintendo would be able to block this is to block the game itself, which isn't exactly an option.

Zerokku on
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Well the Acekard update for 1.4 compatibility is going to make it damn near impossible for nintendo to block them. From my limited understanding the patch attaches a "Header" to the Acekard rom that makes the system read it as if it was a retail game (In this case Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle). As far as the ds can tell it's a legitimate retail game.

Now if my understanding is correct, pretty much the only way nintendo would be able to block this is to block the game itself, which isn't exactly an option.

Dude, it's Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    And yet what would some parent who bought it for their kid say?

Zerokku on
  • Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did anyone ever figure out a way to connect the DS to WPA encrypted AP's?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    And yet what would some parent who bought it for their kid say?

Shrug. These are the same parents who bought a Monsters Inc. game and tried to sue the company because there was a curse word in the opening scene.

Turns out they bought it off the street or something and the curse word was something like "Fucking piracy".

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ugh. I wish I could code. Somebody needs to port some old PC platformers to the DS. There's a Keen port, but it's not amazing. Keen 4/5 or Jazz Jackrabbit, anyone?

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I got an r4-sdhc.

Is there any patches to stop it from sucking? it works, but it's slow and glitchy.

Somestickguy on
  • RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    Did anyone ever figure out a way to connect the DS to WPA encrypted AP's?
    The DS wireless hardware can only do WEP, and the processor isn't fast enough to play games and do WPA in software, if I recall correctly.

Rohaq on
    edited August 2009
    So I got an r4-sdhc.

Is there any patches to stop it from sucking? it works, but it's slow and glitchy.

From what I understand, the R4 isn't even supported anymore, and a lot of bootleggers have co-opted the name to sell their crappy flash carts.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Silas wrote: »
    If anyone out there, like me, spent countless hours in their youth with Choose Your Own Adventure type books (specifically Joe Dever's Lone Wolf series), then I have a tasty nugget of DS homebrew to which I would like to direct your attention.

Lone Wolf DS

battle-780802.jpg

This is awesome. I got it working with no difficulty. Looks very professional and well put together. I'm totally digging it.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
    edited August 2009
    Torgo wrote: »

Lone Wolf DS

battle-780802.jpg

This is awesome. I got it working with no difficulty. Looks very professional and well put together. I'm totally digging it.

The 12 year old me is jumping for joy at this. It would be great to get the whole series. I wonder if these books hold up to the scrutiny today's cynical 27-year-old me.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I'm having an entertaining time putting just the right amount of tape onto my Acekard 2i to make it fit perfectly into slot 1. As it stands, it takes some fiddling to make my classic DS recognize it. Something isn't touching something else somewhere without a bit of fuss.

But Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle? Really?

Antithesis on
    edited August 2009
    My Acekard 2i works fine in my DS Phat. That does seem a bit odd.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My Acekard 2i works fine in my DS Phat. That does seem a bit odd.

Maybe I'm just unlucky. It worked fine for the first two weeks.

Antithesis on
    edited August 2009
    I just got mine the other day. Now I'm nervous.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2009
    So I'm playing this Lone Wolf game, and it's not bad. But to anyone else who is playing....is there a difference between the weapons? You can only hold two at a time and I've only come across one or two sequences where my choice of weapon might have affected the story
    Saving the magician by stabbing someone with a spear, and chopping through brush with my axe. I've found a dagger but figure it won't be good for more than sneak stabbing, and a warhammer which would be bulky and a blunt force weapon no good for cutting.

Is there a stat bonus depending on what weapons I have?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited September 2009
    When you roll your character at the start and pick your abilities, you can pick weapon skill that gives you a bonus with a specific weapon.

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When you roll your character at the start and pick your abilities, you can pick weapon skill that gives you a bonus with a specific weapon.

And it seems like there's one found weapon that you ABSOLUTELY NEED, otherwise if you miss it you'll get DEAD END's all over the place.
    It took me forever to kill that damned deathly hollow after many retries to get it.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited September 2009

Ah yes, I forgot what I had rolled and there didn't seem to be a way to find out. I just kept my axe and spear. I think I rolled sword so I probably shouldn't have left that on the floor.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png