As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC - 4E DnD] Artist of Sharn

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey Guys,

After working 8:00 am - 3 am yesterday and then getting up and working a full day today, I think it's fairly unlikely that I'll be awake come 6 tonight.

Really sorry. I feel like if you want to get another player to fill my spot you probably should, as the last month has proven my life isn't structured right for RPGs :( It's disappointing, because I really like what you've imagined here Aegeri.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tis okay sir! I have a guy who will be chomping at the bit to get into the game if you can't play.

Edit: If you're really sure though, there are a few people I would like to ask if they can play.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not an app at all, but I thought you might want to see what happened to the half-elf I mentioned:
    rogue_avenger.png
    Background/appearance:
    Marilyn is tiny and adorable, except for the mad look in her eyes and the pair of wickedly sharp rapiers she possesses (or do they possess her?). Her parents were murdered in front of her by pirates when she was three, who then thought to take her on as a deck hand and train her up as one of the crew, thinking she wouldn't remember.
    They were very, very wrong.
    After the ship beached, with its crew mysteriously vanished except for the deckhand who was clearly insane, the people of the beach village took the girl in and raised her as one of their own.
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Marilyn, level 1
    Half-Elf, Ranger
    Build: Two-Blade Ranger
    Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
    Birth - Among Another Race: Among Another Race (Human)
    Background: Half-Elf - Wanderer, Society - Poor, Geography - Urban, Elf - Urban Elf, Birth - Among Another Race, Adventurer's Scion (Adventurer's Scion Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 12, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 13 Fort: 15 Reflex: 11 Will: 12
    HP: 29 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Dungeoneering +7, Acrobatics +4, Perception +7, Stealth +4, Athletics +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy +2, Endurance, Heal +2, History, Insight +4, Intimidate, Nature +2, Religion, Streetwise, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)

POWERS
    Dilettante: Overwhelming Strike
    Ranger at-will 1: Shield of Blades
    Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
    Ranger encounter 1: Dire Wolverine Strike
    Ranger daily 1: Hunt's End

ITEMS
    Rapier (2), Hide Armor, Adventurer's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited August 2009
    This is all the magical stuff you have:

Amulet of Mental Resolve +1 (level 2) (Visiblehowl; Neck)
    Silver Magical Spiked Chain +1 (level 2) (Weapon)
    Broach of No Regrets +1 (level 3) (Neck)
    Terror Weapon +1 (Level 4) (Weapon)
    Shared Suffering Leather Armour +1 (level 5) (Armour)

The amulet is inscribed "From my dearest Eve".

Edit: The combat was also pretty hard today, but that was partly because it was designed for six people and I decided that I would just use it as a means of dramatically removing the other character. I can bring you back DVG if you change your mind, but at the moment you've been eaten by a black dog :P

Also, I'm an expert of combats that go down to the wire in 4E. :P Don't be too surprised if things look awful but the party somehow pulls through with 2 death saving throws down. Also don't be afraid of using your dailies and such! I design encounters around you having plenty of downtime to rest and heal - this game isn't about dungeon crawling!

Aegeri on
    edited August 2009
    Updated sheet:
    Zahar, level 2
    Half-Orc, Rogue|Ranger
    Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
    Birth - Among Another Race: Among Another Race (Shadar-kai)
    Background: Birth - Among Another Race (Among Another Race (Shadar-kai))

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Reflex: 16 Will: 12
    HP: 27 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Thievery +10, Intimidate +8, Stealth +10, Athletics +10, Acrobatics +12, Endurance +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Streetwise +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Spiked Chain Training
    Level 2: Impending Doom Style

POWERS
    Hybrid Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
    Hybrid Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
    Hybrid encounter 1: Guarded Attack (retrained to Dire Wolverine Strike at Level 2)
    Hybrid daily 1: Easy Target
    Hybrid utility 2: Sneak in the Attack

ITEMS
    Shuriken (18), Spiked chain, Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Flask (empty) (5), Oil (1 pint) (5), Thieves' Tools, Pouch, Belt (empty), Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (2), Augmenting Whetstone (level 6), Nail of Sealing (heroic tier), Magic Spiked chain +1, Brass Lock

Mr_Rose on
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm starting to reconsider going up to plate. I've been noticing a lot of potential uses of athletics in combat, which right now only is affected by my shield. And since we have two defenders, it's a little easier to spread the damage. Since I already intended to focus Kagnok on a lot of mobility based powers, I'm wondering if it would be better to take that idea to it's fullest extent and make him a sort of mobile defender, who doesn't focus on tanking the big uglies so much as running back and forth across the battlefield to whoever is in the most immediate danger, using his powers to pull allies out of harms way and draw enemies into it.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of character? Is it actually useful, or am I stuffing a square peg into a round hole?

Mars on
    edited August 2009
    That would be a solid plan actually, the only considerations are to get magic items that prevent slowed/immobolized (or allow you some teleports) so you can get about. The other thing is to remember your most important second duty is to mark enemies to relieve pressure off the other defender. Too much focused fire on a defender will bring them down eventually.

Edit this came up in A Race Around Eberron and I thought you guys may be a bit interested (Obviously OOC).

Conversation.jpg

In terms of timeline, A Race Around Eberron is set before the events in Artist of Sharn.

Aegeri on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, since it appears that your Bard is being replaced, I humbly submit... another Bard. Depressingly enough, it also happens to be the Virtue of Cunning build. Hopefully, however, he's different enough in other ways to make up for it.

"Ladies and gentlemen, Dragonborn and Dwarves, Kalashtar and Minotaur, it is my very deepest pleasure to introduce myself. In the past, I have been known by the name Wulfrich von Richter. but you may address me as the Inimitable, the Glorious, the Brilliant, the Astounding, the Often Arousing... the Great Vizzini the Magnificent!"

"Tell me ladies and gentlemen, have you heard the tale of the brilliant Hyraklion? A noble thief of truest honor, and a brilliant mind heretofore unforeseen upon this world. His stories are the stuff of legend, my listeners, and had we the requisite hundred nights I would impart to you his legendary saga. Or perhaps you would know the tale of Dophus the Dreary, whose dizzying intellect and monotonous speech put an army to sleep? Oh, his is a wonderful tale!"

Sigh. "I am... sorry, my friends, my beloved audience of listeners. For you see, you have heard these tales before. You have heard them all. Truth be told, I am but an amateur, an apprentice, a mere student in the scholarly ways of story-telling. Yet I believe, nay my friends, I know, that with a single original, brilliant story, I might ascend to the heights of fame and fortune in one swift stroke! And so when I heard mention of the mysterious deeds perpetrated by the pernicious personage known by the appellation, the auteur known as the Artist, that I might find a story worthy of my tenuously trained tongue. And of course, the primary players in this perfect portraiture of power would be yourselves! So I ask you: would it please you that I might show you my vaguely verifiable, rapidly written resume?"

"Hmm... 'Rapidly written?' I guess it's alliteration, but it just seems shoddy. I'll have to work on that one. Oh, yes! The resume! I nearly forgot. Here you are!"
    Wulfrich von Richter, level 1
    Tiefling, Bard
    Build: Cunning Bard
    Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Cunning

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 18 Fort: 12 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
    HP: 26 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +8, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +9, Streetwise +9, Intimidate +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History +4, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +4, Stealth +3, Thievery +1, Athletics -1

FEATS
    Bard: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Advantage of Cunning

POWERS
    Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
    Bard at-will 1: Guiding Strike
    Bard encounter 1: Blunder
    Bard daily 1: Stirring Shout

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Longsword, Magic Chainmail +1, Light Shield
    RITUALS
    Glib Limerick, Tenser's Floating Disk

EDIT: I'll try to get a Mythweavers sheet up at some point when it's not nearly 4 AM here.

Terrendos on
    edited August 2009
    That looks excellent Terrendos. I am considering when you're character will turn up into the game at the moment. I forgot to mention that you should be level 2 and not level 1 as well. You'll meet the party looking for "Eve" most likely, who is one of the more prominent whores in Sharn and whose working girls are the ones that have turned up dead. The party already has a link between Eve and Cunning, the unfortunate owner of a bookstore specializing in Elven fairy tales so that would be a handy time to meet them!

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    Updated! I shall be bearing things in mind.

Also the map:

LocationMapAoS.jpg

Locations will be added to the map as the game progresses. Some of these places you'll need to go back to multiple times during the course of the campaign.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    Aegeri:
    Okay, as you approach the general area known as "Harlot's Row" you get an increasingly disturbed feeling of unease
    Aegeri:
    You have *seen* these streets and towers before

Zahar:
    Acrobatics Check 28
    Aegeri:
    It's identical to what you saw in that...nightmare or whatever it was.
    Aegeri:
    Except there are more people, street vendors selling wares from the crude to the only vaguely legal
    Aegeri:
    And of course, the women who give this place its name and reputation.
    Aegeri:
    You can see several women on the street here and various other individuals in the stores. Some of the stores seem to have been firmly shut, with notices of "permanent foreclosure" written on them.
    Aegeri:
    There are a great deal of items on sale despite that though, so you can pick up most things you would need from this area... and more.
    Aegeri:
    One of the women, a dirty dishevelled woman who is wearing entirely too much makeup waddles over to you as soon as she sees you.

Harlot:
    Why good day there my fine lads (she completely ignores Roux).

Harlot:
    Are you here to have a good time?

Harlot:
    *smiles, showing somewhat yellowed and unpleasant teeth*

Dorvin:
    Good day to you miss. Have you seen Eve about? We have news of some urgency to her.

Harlot:
    Eh? Eve? What's you want with her when you could ave me aye Mister?
    * Zahar grins wider, showing a pair of sharp tusks...

Zahar:
    she was...recommended to us

Harlot:
    Oh? Well, I sorry but I ain't sure about where ole Eve is right now.
    Mr_Rose:
    what's the height difference between the two levels here?

Harlot:
    You know, that other fellow, the devil blood *she motions down the street* was also asking around after her.
    Aegeri:
    10 feet.
    Mr_Rose:
    what do I need to jump 10 feet stright up?
    Aegeri:
    Kagnok and Makharath are actually on the same level.
    Aegeri:
    Athletics/2
    Aegeri:
    So at least probably DC 20 from a standing jump

Kagnok:
    Athletics Check: 10

Zahar:
    Athletics Check 25
    Aegeri:
    Well that works
    Aegeri:
    I'll put you there for simplicities sake
    Mr_Rose:
    'kay
    Aegeri:
    You have a good view of the surroundings
    Aegeri:
    Definitely the same place from your dream... but much better populated.
    Terrendos:
    Let me know when it's my queue
    Aegeri:
    Any time you want

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *shouting* Come on, Mara! I know you're holding out on me! You know more than you're letting on! Let me in and let's talk this over like adults!
    * Zahar leaps almost straight up in order to get a better view

Kagnok:
    Thank you for your time, miss. By the way, just out of curiosity, have you seen anything...odd around here today?

Mara:
    Look, I'm not saying nothing about no damn murders.

Mara:
    I ain't ending up like Hildred.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Please, I must know everything!

Dorvin:
    Well thank you miss. I suppose I should go speak to the devel blood before he gets himself into trouble.

Kagnok:
    Well, that seems odd enough. Let's check out what this commotion is about

Harlot:
    Just the usual like black filth growing on places and people acting all weird. Not that many customers.

Harlot:
    Are you sure you aren't interested in a good fuck sir? I could really use the gold...

Dorvin:
    People acting wierd? Because of the protege?

Mara:
    Oh no, last storeowner around here who want babbling the mouth ended up having an unsightly fall

Mara:
    And I'm sure it wasn't the good kind

Kagnok:
    Uh, ahem, sorry, but we are on urgent business

Harlot:
    Oh yes... lot of crazies about

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *turns to the party* Whoops, caught me with my hand in the biscuit tin I suppose. Sorry chaps, but I need to speak with this'n before you can come in.

Harlot:
    Never know anymore

Harlot:
    Used to be so honest a while ago.
    Mr_Rose:
    how open is the door to my west?
    Aegeri:
    It's shut

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Falls 'round here ain't so bad... it's the sudden stop, really
    Mr_Rose:
    locked?

Mara:
    Not when you've had your head cut off

Kagnok:
    Hold on a minute, son, just calm down, what's this all about?
    Aegeri:
    Yes, the door is locked
    Mr_Rose:
    I'm a gonna try to pick it
    Aegeri:
    Yep go ahead

Zahar:
    Thievery Check 11

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Now then, Dwarf, calm down. You can have your turn as soon as Mara here lets me know what's going on
    Aegeri:
    Although the lock is pretty rusted, it holds firm against your attempts to pick it.
    Aegeri:
    Obviously made of better stuff than that you encountered at Cunnings

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    If you've a liking for the svelte, that Drow down there might be free

Dorvin:
    I see. Well thank you again. Here's a little something for you time. *Hands her a gold piece.

Zahar:
    Grumph

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok points to the Guard insignia on his armor*

Mara:
    Look, if you want to buy some charms maybe we will talk, but I ain't saying shit about no moiders!

Kagnok:
    I'm afraid this is rather my business. If you have a problem, we can sort it out without all this commotion

Makharath:
    Uhh good day madamn (scurries off)

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I don't suppose you'd possess any charms that might help me find a madman?

Mara:
    There is one outside my shop right now!

Zahar:
    what about this one?

Eos:
    *startled*

Eos:
    Oh, oh hello there

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Yes, well, officer... Hmm... this isn't an easy explanation to make.

Zahar:
    Hello

Kagnok:
    I'm all ears

Eos:
    Sorry, I'm not so used to customers these days

Zahar:
    no?

Eos:
    Um, how may I be of assistance?

Zahar:
    have you been here long?

Eos:
    I have numerous fruits and spices
    Aegeri:
    *Passive perception: You recognize this man, he's from your dream!*

Eos:
    Well yeah, a few months

Zahar:
    Wait, do I know you?

Eos:
    But it looks like my time here may be coming to a close

Eos:
    Ummm, no?
    * Zahar peers closer

Eos:
    I don't recall meeting you, my name is Eos.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Hrm... yes, INTRODUCTIONS! Ladies and gentlemen, little children and great hulking brutes, I respectfully introduce myself. Vizzini the Magnificent, at your service.

Zahar:
    No, you're right.

Zahar:
    You can't be the felow I met; he was killed by some sort of wild dog...

Eos:
    Huh?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I'm something of an entertainer myself, not quite so... umm... skilled as these ladies here.

Harlot:
    *sidles up to Makharath*
    Unexpected:
    lol

Drow Harlot:
    *This woman silently stares at the party, as if sizing you up*

Zahar:
    Fruits and spices you say?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You might say I'm doing research on the Artist of Sharn.

Eos:
    Mostly

Dorvin:
    What a coincidence. We are doing the same.

Zahar:
    I don't suppose you have anything from overseas?

Dorvin:
    My name is Dorvin, by the way.

Eos:
    I uhhh, sort of specialize in herbal makeup and other things. It's a rather popular store here... or at least it was.

Kagnok:
    The Artist...*Kagnok thinks for a moment*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Is that so? I don't suppose you'd like to compare notes? Anything you know would be most helpful for the narrative I'm composing.

Eos:
    Hmmm, I do happen to have these wonderful smelling spices from the Jungles of Xen'drik.

Eos:
    If you'd like to buy some?

Kagnok:
    What then, led you to accosting this lady?

Zahar:
    Ah, of course, the decline you mentioned

Eos:
    Yeah, some fellow is murdering harlots and prostitutes.

Zahar:
    er, I'm not a fan of Xen'drik flavours

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    It is a simple matter, you see. I heard from a very reliable source that she was a witness to one of the recent prostitute deaths here.

Dorvin:
    I'm sure that would be helpful to both of us. What sort of narrative are you in the process of, Mr Vizzini?

Zahar:
    My parents often wish to find a particular fruit though

Eos:
    Oh?

Eos:
    What is it?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I slipped her a few silver pieces in exchange for a bit of information, but that which she could provide thus far has been woefully inadequate

Zahar:
    if you have it...
    Unexpected:
    What sort of shop is this we're in front of?

Mara:
    Well you heard wrong good sir!

Zahar:
    from the continent of Sarlona?

Mara:
    *Mara comes barging out, all 4'8" of her*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    The lady emerges!

Eos:
    OHh that's pretty rare indeed

Mara:
    My name is Mara, and I sell charms and other magical protective wear

Mara:
    Necklaces to ward off spirits and that sort of thing

Mara:
    And I *ain't* seen no murders

Mara:
    And even if I did, I wouldn't be dumb enough to talk about it

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You also live on Harlot's Row. If anyone's seen prostitute murdering, it's you!

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You see this, my good Dwarfly chap? She's completely unreasonable! Senseless!

Mara:
    I don't live here - I just work here and no *not* in that sense.

Zahar:
    yeas, I thought so. *looks disappointed*

Drow Harlot:
    Why are you interested in these murders?

Eos:
    Oh do cheer up son

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    What, are you asking me?

Eos:
    I have many contacts, if you can give me a list of what you're looking for I am certain I can arrange something

Drow Harlot:
    Why yes

Kagnok:
    Do *you* know something about these murders, miss?

Dorvin:
    Well to try and stop them.

Drow Harlot:
    I haven't even seen a member of the Sharn City Watch here.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I do think I said that already. I'm composing a narrative, you see. A great epic tale!

Kagnok:
    A...A what?!

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    My good Dwarf! Surely you can see the makings of the great Tragedy of our time in this story!

Kagnok:
    I'm sorry, lad, but if you're looking to make a story, you'd be better served in the upper districts. Perhaps you'll find an editor there who will help you

Zahar:
    maybe if these murders would stop, your business would pick up and I could find mother some riedran apples

Zahar:
    Do you think?

Drow Harlot:
    Are you Inquisitives>?
    * Zahar examines the fruit stand

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Inquisitives? Not by a long shot! I'm just a man who loves a good tale.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    And this one... oh, this could make the author famous!

Eos:
    Certainly, actually I believe I could get those

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok turns back to the harlto* I am a member of the City Guard. I'm...investigating these murders on my own time

Eos:
    It would be a while of course, but I am certain I can find that

Eos:
    I've had them before.

Eos:
    Didn't sell overly well though

Drow Harlot:
    I see.

Drow Harlot:
    I am Lorena

Zahar:
    No? I guess they're too sour for most people...

Eos:
    Yes sadly

Kagnok:
    Any information you could give us to help bring this... murderer... to justice would be greatly appreciated

Zahar:
    still, you will let me know if you find out anything, won't you?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *talking to himself* The tragic fall into insanity of the Artist as his devotion becomes obsession... the plight of the investigators as they search for the man... why, it's practically written for me!

Lorena:
    I didn't see what happened and the only person who did was eve and she ain't told anyone but Cherie where she's gone.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Cherie? Inconceivable!

Dorvin:
    I see. Could you point us in the direction of Cherie?

Kagnok:
    Hmm. We were looking for Eve, in fact

Lorena:
    She points upwards towards the balcony

Lorena:
    I'll tell you this, Cherie is a bit...

Lorena:
    Special

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Excuse me, chaps. I've a woman to tame and answers to get.

Eos:
    I certainly shall good sir.

Lorena:
    He's certainly an enthusiastic one.

Dorvin:
    Indeed.

Zahar:
    Especially if it could help me help you and stop these murders

Kagnok:
    What did you mean when you said she's "special"

Mon Cherie:
    *This young looking woman doesn't seem to react to your presence, simply staring into space like nobody is there*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Mon Cherie!
    Mr_Rose:
    cue abrupt subject-change

Lorena:
    She hasn't spoken much since Heriot was garotted and her insides spread over much of the street.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *singing* Mon... Cherie...!

Lorena:
    Always regarded her as a bit of a... sister figure

Mon Cherie:
    *looks Vizzini up and down*

Mon Cherie:
    30 gold.

Dorvin:
    Was this another murder by the Artist or his so called Protege?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *coughs*

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Excuse me, but that's not what I'm here for. Not remotely.

Lorena:
    The artist paints beautiful scenes of death... from what I hear. This "Protege" as he calls himself, he's just a butcher.

Mon Cherie:
    60 gold.

Kagnok:
    They're both butchers
    Mr_Rose:
    do I need to roll diplomacy or intimidate or something?
    * Vizzini the Magnificent gulps.

Lorena:
    At least one kills everyone on equal terms.

Dorvin:
    While art might be relative, I agree with my sturdy friend here.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    You appear to have caught me a bit light on the coffer... I don't suppose you could give me a bit of information pro bono?
    Aegeri:
    No, he seems to be filing away your request and is taking it seriously
    Mr_Rose:
    OK
    Aegeri:
    After a few in game days feel free to come back and ask how he's getting on with it.

Kagnok:
    Perhaps I should go make sure that that tiefling isn't sending our only lead into hysterics

Mon Cherie:
    That depends on what it is you want to know mister.

Dorvin:
    Excellent idea.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Oh, simple matter, simple question... hardly worth asking... where's Eve?

Makharath:
    *speeds away from the dity harlot*
    * Vizzini the Magnificent looks hopeful.

Mon Cherie:
    Why would you want to know that?

Zahar:
    Well, if you need to find me, you can ask at the Broken Tooth inn. Name's Zahar by the way.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I merely need to ask her a question. You see, it's something of a loop.

Eos:
    Oh yes, I never forget a face don't worry have quite the memory for them

Zahar:
    Good day to you sir
    Unexpected:
    *Dorvin steps into Mara's shop and starts inspecting the merch.

Eos:
    Was always terrible with names though.

Mara:
    Good day there.

Dorvin:
    Good day to you miss. I don't suppose you carry wands or implements of the sort in stock?

Zahar:
    Don't worry, they know my tale there too...
    * Zahar points to his facial tattoos

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Would it help if I... played you a song? *pulls out his lute*

Kagnok:
    Don't suppose you've managed to woo this one, yet?

Eos:
    Aye.

Mara:
    Why yeah, I do have a few

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    As a matter of fact, I was about to charm her with my dulcet tones. You're welcome to listen.
    Mr_Rose:
    this door is also open, right?

Mara:
    You looking to buy something?

Dorvin:
    Excellent. I am miss.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *singing* 'Even in the dark you can't... lose the love because it's in your heart!"
    * Zahar whispers to Roux: who's the new guy?
    Aegeri:
    Terrendos, you have disappeared off vent!

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Diplomacy CHeck 15

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok looks on, a slight look of astonishment at Vizzini's actions"
    Aegeri:
    Your song seems to break at least part of the cold exterior of the girl, who seems to pay you more attention and no longer seems to be staring off "elsewhere"

Mon Cherie:
    That was very pretty sir.

Mon Cherie:
    You would be?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I'm playing at the Courageous Courtesan Stein House and Brewery Thursday if you'd like a repeat performance. The name's Vizzini the Magnificent.

Mon Cherie:
    I am Mon Cherie, most people call me Cherie or "Cher"

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Cherie it is.

Mon Cherie:
    So what makes you want to seek your own death?

Dorvin:
    Nasty business these murders. It really can't be helping your walk in business. *As Dorvin inspects her selection of wands

Mara:
    It's been hell I can tell you that

Mara:
    Used to get a lot of "interesting" clientele around here

Mara:
    But at least they paid well and were polite

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Mostly the despondency of life, I'd say.

Mara:
    Since the murders all you get is weirdos and increasingly less customers.

Mara:
    It's been pretty bad

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Perception: 10

Mara:
    Hell ole Forscythe has sort of become the local ladies hairdresser here as well as a mens barber

Mon Cherie:
    Everyone who finds Eve only finds death

Mon Cherie:
    I tried telling that silly man that

Mon Cherie:
    But he wouldn't listen.

Mon Cherie:
    He's dead now isn't he?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Beats me!

Zahar:
    I guess that depens which silly man you mean?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Ask Dwarfy McDwarfington over here

Mon Cherie:
    Cunning, you're wearing the Necklace she gave him.

Mon Cherie:
    I assume that means he died.

Zahar:
    Oh him

Kagnok:
    I'm afraid so, miss

Zahar:
    yes, but by his own foolishness

Mon Cherie:
    You are too honest looking to be thieves.

Mon Cherie:
    But I did warn him.

Zahar:
    he locked himself in a room and refused to leave

Zahar:
    we did not find him until it was far too late

Mara:
    This isn't even going to the weird monsters and other things that have begun turning up

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Can't speak on their behalf, but the only thing I've stolen is the ladies' hearts. And away from bad company.

Mara:
    Of course, everyone in the Sharn Watch is so busy chasing the artist that various copycat cronies like the Protege get away with blue bloody murder.

Mara:
    Not that anyone listens to us down here.

Mara:
    The lower down in sharn you are, the less people up there pay attention.

Zahar:
    We're listening

Mon Cherie:
    How sad.
    Mr_Rose:
    scratch that then

Mon Cherie:
    And now you want to find Eve?

Kagnok:
    My nose itches. I wonder if someone's talking about me

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    That would be the case, Cherie.

Mon Cherie:
    She lives in the Spiral tower just to the north of here.

Mon Cherie:
    Haven't heard much from there in days though

Mon Cherie:
    She tends to keep to herself

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    HaHA! Thank you muchly, kind seller of the fleshly pursuits.

Dorvin:
    Very interesting. I'll take this one, by the way. No need to wrap it.

Mon Cherie:
    Ever since she saw Heriot murdered.

Mara:
    Ah yes, that is most suited

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    I'm not gonna lie, you're a bit creepifyin', but I still appreciate the location.

Mon Cherie:
    A creature did this to me.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    If you'd like, I can make mention of you in my tale.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    It's gonna be legen- wait for it

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    DARY!

Mon Cherie:
    Dunno what it was, it appeared from the doorway suddenly and when I tried to run for another exit, it appeared there also

Mon Cherie:
    Took a chunk of my hair before I got rid of it.

Kagnok:
    Can you remember what it looked like?

Mon Cherie:
    It was small, less than three feet or so high

Mon Cherie:
    Had this horrible face composed mostly of teeth and eyes

Mon Cherie:
    I can still see it when I sleep at night...

Mon Cherie:
    Goes straight through doors and other objects.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Most unfortunate, but unfortunately superfluous.

Mon Cherie:
    There is some weird shit down here in Sharn, but that creature was novel even by my standards.

Mon Cherie:
    Heroit was gutted and murdered that night.

Forscythe:
    *This elderly gentleman is sharpening what looks to be a razorblade*

Kagnok:
    That sounds like a terrible orderal, I'm sorry you had to go through it.

Kagnok:
    Thank you for your assistance, though

Zahar:
    hello there

Mon Cherie:
    You should stay away from Eve.

Mon Cherie:
    Nice folk like you shouldn't get caught up in this...because once you draw his attention you can't get rid of it.

Forscythe:
    Good morning sir.

Forscythe:
    Would you like a haircut?

Zahar:
    not right now, but I will remember you.

Zahar:
    I'd rather have some information today

Forscythe:
    Hmmmm
    Aegeri:
    *There is something distinctly off about this guy, but you can't place it*
    Terrendos:
    Best kill him now to be safe
    Aegeri:
    lol
    Aegeri:
    XD

Zahar:
    I don't suppose you've seen any lost looking dogs around here?
    Mr_Rose:
    he's already dead
    Aegeri:
    He's actually a clone!
    Mr_Rose:
    killing him will only make him stronger!
    Terrendos:
    The call was coming from inside the house?
    Mars:
    My army is taking over!

Forscythe:
    They're called "Black Dogs"

Forscythe:
    Or at least that's the name given to them by the various inhabitants around here.
    * Zahar narrows his eyes
    Mr_Rose:
    I guess you've met one then?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Now then, Mara, now that we're all well acquainted, was there anything else you wanted to tell me?

Zahar:
    I guess you've met one then?
    Mr_Rose:
    sorry

Forscythe:
    Oh, one can't help by hear things.

Zahar:
    such as screams?

Kagnok:
    Well, lets find the rest of our group, let them know we can find Eve

Zahar:
    Perception Check 12

Forscythe:
    They come and they go during the night. Always watching, if you know who to look at you can always tell who is next to disappear.

Mara:
    Oh you again.

Mara:
    Buy something or get out?

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    The Courageous Courtesan! Thursday! Be there!

Zahar:
    really now? that is interesting

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    *turns to the group* Now then, if you'd not mind, I could accompany you all. No reason to travel alone.

Zahar:
    I don't suppose it's somethign obvious though...

Forscythe:
    Oh yes. One just has to watch for the right signs.

Dorvin:
    Certainly. Safety in numbers and all that.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Ah yes, the joining of compatriots! This reminds me of the story of Grendlyn the Great

Kagnok:
    *Kagnok is listening to Zahar's conversation and not paying attention to Vizzini*
    Mr_Rose:
    Guys: From now on, please assume all spelling mistakes are Zahar's accent

Forscythe:
    You could say whomever this "Protege" is takes something that is the dredges of society and undervalued, to make it into genuine art.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    She was a tough one! Kagnok, if you're like most Dwarves, she'd be your kind of woman.

Dorvin:
    Insight Skill Check: 22
    Aegeri:
    The mans body language seems paralyzed and frozen, highly unusual
    Aegeri:
    It's pretty clear he's suffered some horrific injury that has paralyzed a good deal of his body
    Unexpected:
    Hmm.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Smacked about a great red dragon, they say! Then beat it over the head with her mallet and made it carry her back to her forge so she could make armor of its scales!
    Aegeri:
    He stares at the party as well, almost like he is assessing you...
    Mars:
    Barber seems like a dangerous profession for someone with a partial paralysis
    Mars:
    dangerous for the customers at least
    Aegeri:
    Watching him, he seems extremely skilled with the blades.
    Aegeri:
    This guy is definitely the definition of odd

Dorvin:
    It sounds like you have some admiration for the Protege.

Forscythe:
    Only an understanding

Forscythe:
    You learn to be very observant in my line of work and people tell you things.

Forscythe:
    If you listen you can learn much.

Dorvin:
    I imagine so. I know i'd certainly talk if a man behind me were holding a sharp blade to my neck.

Forscythe:
    Yes. Would you like a shave my good sir?

Forscythe:
    Not many come by anymore

Forscythe:
    Only fools and those with deathwishes.

Forscythe:
    I used to do Escelles hair.

Dorvin:
    Very kind of you to offer, but i'm rather fond of my beard.

Forscythe:
    Oh the man had such tales and stories. I had been cutting his hair ever since he was a boy.

Dorvin:
    Did you now? I'm sure he was a facinating customer.

Forscythe:
    He was... but he is quite dead now.

Dorvin:
    Very unfortunate business, that.

Forscythe:
    Presumably killed by that Artist or so they call him.

Forscythe:
    Hmmm yes.
    Aegeri:
    *You immediately get the impression he's begun to ramble, jumping between topics at random*

Kagnok:
    Really? He could afford to be anywhere in the city. Yet he came down to Harlot's Row just for his haircut?

Forscythe:
    Oh yes, quite a bond between a man and his barber
    Terrendos:
    Escelle? Would Vizzini know him? History check?

Forscythe:
    And his marital difficulties found... other solutions

Dorvin:
    Did he visit you after his last return from Xen'drik?

Forscythe:
    *He clicks the blades back and forth a few times, a clear sign of nervousness considering his paralyzed muscles prevent most other expression*

Forscythe:
    Yes... but he wasn't the same man.

Dorvin:
    I suppse the things he went thru would affect the bravest man.

Forscythe:
    Yes. He kept ranting about painting the future or something like this.
    Mars:
    DUN DUN DUN

Forscythe:
    Was quite convinced the apocalypse was coming.
    Unexpected:
    Glancing at the floor of the area, anything that looks like the ink discharge that the book was known for leaking?
    Aegeri:
    Nope

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Painting the future, you say? Curious.

Kagnok:
    Did he himself claim to be able to do this?

Forscythe:
    Yes, I thought it just the rigors of his profession finally getting to him.

Forscythe:
    But when I heard that people were dying in ways sent to them well in advance, I thought maybe he was right.

Forscythe:
    And yes, he claimed he had painted his own death or something once.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    So naturally, you told everyone who would listen. The police, private investigators, and the like.

Forscythe:
    Oh heavens no, everyone would think I had gone mad and they wouldn't believe me anyway.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Didn't seem relevant?

Forscythe:
    I didn't believe him.
    * Vizzini the Magnificent sighs.

Forscythe:
    Those dragons and their prophecy

Forscythe:
    That's one thing

Forscythe:
    Mortals being able to divine the future with paintings? That's novel even to me

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Not really. I am reminded of a parable about a man named Isaac....

Forscythe:
    Oh
    Mr_Rose:
    sorry guys but I think I have to go
    Aegeri:
    !
    Aegeri:
    Oh noes
    Aegeri:
    Why is that/
    Mr_Rose:
    yeah, either i just sign off or I fall asleep on the keyboard
    Aegeri:
    oh lol
    Aegeri:
    Had a bit of a long day?
    Mr_Rose:
    turns out local anaesthetic takes more out of you than you imagine
    Aegeri:
    Ah
    Aegeri:
    What did you have that for?
    Mr_Rose:
    if they have to use three times the normal dose
    Aegeri:
    !!!
    Unexpected:
    wow
    Mr_Rose:
    teeth
    Aegeri:
    :dramaticcat:
    Aegeri:
    Ah
    Aegeri:
    yeah I know how that is
    Aegeri:
    Have a good sleep sir
    Aegeri:
    We'll carry on to hitting things
    Aegeri:
    I shall hit things well in your stead
    Mr_Rose:
    you better!
    Aegeri:
    Anyway
    Aegeri:
    Forscythe is beginning to ramble on now

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Fellow could paint the future, you know. Had a friend with all sorts of crazy powers too. Ended up having his brain eaten. Quite a story, but it really goes downhill after the first book.
    Aegeri:
    Muttering about the war and other things.

Vizzini the Magnificent:
    Take care Mr Rose
    Terrendos:
    Dangit
    Mars:
    Good night, then, Mr_Rose
    Mr_Rose:
    oh, could someone save the transcript for me too?
    Aegeri:
    Sure

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    You are now all level 3 huzzah!

I do need to know the fates of a couple of magic items though. Who has the Amulet of Mental Resolve and the Broach of No Regrets? For that matter who has the Courtiers Pendant?

:P

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    There is a change to the games time!

We're moving the game forward by 30 minutes, this is because of my SCIENCE! in the morning. So the start time is now 30 minutes forwards in time!

It's 6:30 PM US eastern time Friday Night.

It's 5:30 PM US central time Friday Night.

This is just to give me a bit longer to do my daily science and avoid any problems.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    We have a new PC joining us (Rius) and Terrendos will be switching character to a sorcerer. Terrendos, what do you want to happen to Viccini? I'm thinking that he goes a little mad after what he saw (which is in fact a place you guys can visit later, ooohhhh and such forth) and decides that maybe he can find a better story elsewhere.

The current party is:

Defender (Fighter)
    Striker (Sorcerer)
    Striker (Warlock)
    Striker (Avenger)
    Striker (Rogue/Ranger)
    Leader (Cleric)

Which should work okay, given this game doesn't have a big obsession with minions or mass combat.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    I figured Vizzini would decide there's easier ways to become famous and head back to The Courageous Courtesan Stein House and Brewery. He can become a potential plot device if necessary (providing rumors and such) and can also serve as a backup character should something unfortunate happen to Tavar.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009
    That is quite a good plan.

Also, I thought about it and decided to (only somewhat) explain what the sanity mechanic is (partially).

Firstly, sanity affects you and you alone, while it's normal for things to actually directly attack your will defense, this was seen as being rather undesirable. The first reason was that I wanted the DCs to scale in reverse, so as you become more insane it is easier to ignore horrible things that happen (because once you've seen a billion dead bodies you've seen enough to desensitize you). Your initial contacts with the artists particular demesne, which Vizzini copped an unfortunately look at is an example of something that degrades your sanity. When you see something horrible or mind bendingly awful, you make a will check - this means you basically add your will defense score (minus 10, it's an active check) to a d20 roll.

Unlike normal rolls, there is a degree of success, rolling a 20 doesn't mean you actually pass at all. Instead it means you might reduce the damage done to your mind considerably. Rolling a 1 doesn't mean you go insane either, it just means you've taken a lot more 'sanity' damage than you may have wanted to. Sanity is a fixed and hidden stat and it generally only ever degrades except in extremely rare circumstances. If you're asked to mysteriously roll a d10, you should be very happy because that means you've actually gained back some lost ground. But to make this clear, it's a losing war from the start and you are going to slowly get worse over the entire campaign.

Low sanity has numerous effects on the game and is very important in late paragon and epic especially. By this point the Artist has really chipped away a bit at your characters minds and the world is being turned to "pudding" faster. Example effects include being unable to determine what monsters in a combat are really there and what isn't actually there. Hearing voices, seeing "dead" NPCs come back to life and a huge variety of other effects.

Protecting yourself: There are points in the game where you may want to deliberately fight completely blind or even without any senses at all (blind and deaf) to try to shut out the horrors around you. Any power that stops fear effects or mind altering affects (like a power that prevents attacks vs. will) automatically prevents you from losing sanity... temporarily.

Certain creatures you meet do not attack you directly at all. You'll be wondering what is going on during these combats because of this, but these are the most dangerous creatures in the game. They do direct sanity damage to you, so while they don't affect you physically they actually degrade your mind and make you see awful things (pull back the veil so to speak). Enough sanity damage and you're going to think the world is turning to pudding around you and that everyone is trying to kill you (and they probably are).

If you ever hit 0 sanity, which I will say will be pretty unlucky you just crack. You become dominated (no save) and effectively may do absolutely anything. You could collapse into the fetal position begging anyone to get the beetles off you, or you could just go psychotic and attack everything nearby. The effect is largely up to how you've been playing your character actually and is more of a roleplaying thing. Madness is a slow and terrible thing, that often builds up without you truly realizing that anything is actually going wrong.

As a plot mechanic, sanity has the main effect of confusing what is going on. By mid paragon you'll be uncertain if you're just mad or if there really is a world ending plot about to be unleashed on the world. After all, once your minds have been truly bent by all the horrible things you'll see (and have done to you...) it's not going to be clear if you're all there anymore. Additionally, there are points where you will see obscenely powerful creatures or effects that would ordinarily instantly kill you for your level. Take enough sanity damage at once and you will actually faint/fall unconscious. Often this causes the party to wake up somewhere else, but often alive and is considered a plot MacGuffin - but very rarely is this ever something that will happen.

General example: Someone sees something truly mind bendingly awful, so awful that it completely shakes their core foundation and they have to make a sanity check to avoid having a part of their mind turned into swiss cheese. They have a Will defense of 24, which means they have a +14 check to the sanity roll.

The player rolls a 28 (14+14=28). The thing they've seen degrades sanity by the total of the rolled defense - how obscenely horrible it is (in this made up case, 25). In this case the player takes no sanity damage at all and manages to keep their mind in one piece.

In another example a player sees something they think is a friend that died earlier in the campaign. Already suffering from some insanity and following them, they find them splattered all over a room and their horribly mangled form accusing them of being responsible for their death. The player has a Will defense of 19, which means it's a +9 to the roll and they roll awfully, getting only 4 for a total of 13. The attacking sanity effect is rated at 20, so the PC takes seven sanity damage and falls to the floor begging the (distinctly not real) apparition for forgiveness.

These mechanics are based on (but not directly copied from) Call of Cthulhu.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    By the way, I uploaded Tavar Fulmen to the Orokos sheet thing. Link.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009
    I'll update the map and OP when I get home later tonight. Rius do you have your mans finished and on a handy myth-weavers or Orokos sheet (I accept either btw).

Aegeri on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am uploading him to Orokos right now =)

How much background story would you like me to provide? I usually write up a few paragraphs for my characters as a sort of primer, and I've got some cool ideas for this guy.

Edit: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1142

Rius on
    edited September 2009
    Argh!
    Sorry guys, I'm not going to be able to make tonight; I have a heavy workload over the weekend (as in "I won't have a job come Tuesday if this isn't finished Monday" heavy) and I need to be awake at some point during Saturday at least.

Many apologies for missing this one completely too, as I won't have time to fix up my new macros or anything either.

Mr_Rose on
    edited September 2009
    Ironic actually! Unfortunately I am currently at the lab - this isn't the bad thing though. What's bad is that my internest is down and I won't be able to get online in time for the game guys! So we will have to postpone until next week! My apologies, but the internest can be a temperamental mistress and it chose today unfortunately. There will be an update in this thread if anything changes!

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    Well, I'll be up late tonight probably. If you have the free time to postpone until after your other game tonight I may still be up for it. Don't know about anyone else though.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009
    In good news, I'll be getting free internet as a "Sorry" for this (It's a line fault). In bad news, I feel so fail and this is not the first time this has happened to me.

It's rather annoying and really makes me feel like I am failing my job as DM. There will be a game next week, even if I have to go to someones house and nick their internet for it.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    If it helps, I feel much better about having to ditch a session now that said session no longer exists to ditch. :P

Mr_Rose on
    edited September 2009
    This little game has had a fair bit of trouble getting rolling, hasn't it? Totally worth the trouble though, I've been enjoying every second that we get to play.

Don't beat yourself up over it Aegeri, especially over stuff you can't control. See if you can channel those frustrated feelings towards more terrifying acid-vomit-dogs and phase-shifting mutated squid-monsters. :)

Mars on
    edited September 2009
    I was really looking forward to zapping some tentacles and having enemy and ally alike shout "Don't taze me, bro!" while the hairs on the back of their necks stood up as one, metal objects began to levitate and whirl around my Sorcerer as he shouts to the heavens that their destroyer is manifest.

Which reminds me of the one thing I like better about the Myth-weavers sheet than the Orokos one. There's a lot more room to write backstory and character description. For example, Tavar's bioelectromagnetic field makes nearby mechanical stuff flip out and small metal objects begin to shake and levitate. But how can I fit all that (and all the other virulently pertinent and vitally important information I need to include) in just a few short lines?

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009
    Sorry about this weekend folks! I was really disappointed, because I had put a huge amount of work into Artist for last week. In good news though, you can now expect things to be twice as terrifying as I've had twice the time! I've already made a certain encounter even more diabolically evil than it was originally!

As some compensation, here is the updated game map.

UpdatedMap.jpg

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    How much background story would you like me to provide? I usually write up a few paragraphs for my characters as a sort of primer, and I've got some cool ideas for this guy.

Rius on
    edited September 2009

I'm not going to speak for Aegeri, but I tend to write quite a bit. For example, in his Sorrow of Heaven campaign, both my Warlock and my Cleric had detailed history explaining how they got their powers, their basic life story, goals, companions, enemies, and the like.

My characters are often based around an idea. For example, Sidus Solitarius was an exploration of what would happen to a Fatalist that could control Fate. He was deathly paranoid that he would use his powers one day and implode the universe, and highly cerebral and manipulative as well. Verax on the other hand is a subversion of the traditional hero's epic. For example, it is common for heroes to lose their homes due to an outside force (the notable example here being Aeneas, on which Verax is heavily based). Verax, being a Cleric of a protecting god who couldn't protect his home town, experienced PTSD and became obsessed with protecting innocents, as well as giving up shades of gray in favor of a black-and-white view of the world.

I highly doubt you can write too much.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009

It's up to you. The more you write the more I am likely to incorporate into the game, especially if it fits or interests me.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    I'll have to collect my thoughts and send them to you then =)

Rius on
    edited September 2009
    I have watched Hero of Faith enough for my liking now. I've decided after noting that 3/6 people have taken this feat in Shipwrecked and how horribly abusive it gets that I will in fact move to do something about it (because otherwise it turns out that the Church of avengering is unusually popular among everyone with wisdom who uses weapons).

Hero of Faith now has the following text instead of the original divine power text:

"Once per day, you can use the oath of enmity power. You do not regain the use of the power if the target drops to 0 hit points."

This now means it can only be used once per day. It still lasts for the entire encounter though. It's quite frankly too good for a feat that costs only wisdom 15 to get and can be used every encounter. When I have over half my players in every game if they have a decent wisdom score planning on getting this feat, there is a clear problem that needs to be solved. You can freely retrain the feat out if you want however, but I am actually not convinced this still isn't too good compared to other multiclass feats.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    So we're definitely on today guys and I cannot wait! Make sure you upgrade your tokens and such to level 3 though, you'll need allll the HP you can get hahahahahaa.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009

|CORE|
    Level
    MaxHP
    *@TempHP
    *@HP
    *Damage
    *@Bloodied
    SurgeValue
    SurgePerDay
    *@SurgeRemaining
    *@PP
    *@AC
    *@Fortitude
    *@Reflex
    *@Will
    *@Speed
    *Elevation
    *Notes
    *Immune
    *Resist
    *Vulnerable
    MiscSaveBonus
    MiscAttBonus
    MiscDamBonus
    InitBonus
    *@AP
    |EQUIPMENT|
    ArmorCheckPenalty (ACP)
    Weapon1Bonus (WB1)
    Weapon2Bonus (WB2)
    Weapon3Bonus (WB3)
    Weapon1Prof
    Weapon2Prof
    Weapon3Prof
    Weapon1Damage (WD1)
    Weapon2Damage (WD2)
    Weapon3Damage (WD3)
    Weapon1DamBonus
    Weapon2DamBonus
    Weapon3DamBonus
    Weapon1MaxDamage
    Weapon2MaxDamage
    Weapon3MaxDamage
    Weapon1Crit
    Weapon2Crit
    Weapon3Crit
    Implement1Bonus
    Implement2Bonus
    Implement3Bonus
    Implement1DamBonus
    Implement2DamBonus
    Implement3DamBonus
    Implement1Crit
    Implement2Crit
    Implement3Crit
    |ATTRIBUTES|
    Strength (Str)
    Constitution (Con)
    Dexterity (Dex)
    Intelligence (Int)
    Wisdom (Wis)
    Charisma (Cha)
    |SKILLS|
    Acrobatics
    Arcana
    Athletics
    Bluff
    Diplomacy
    Dungeoneering
    Endurance
    Heal
    History
    Insight
    Intimidate
    Nature
    Perception
    Religion
    Stealth
    Streetwise
    Thievery
    |BONUS|
    StrBonus
    ConBonus
    DexBonus
    IntBonus
    WisBonus
    ChaBonus
    LevelBonus

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    Working on macros, wheee! Sorry again folks for not having those ready.

Rius on
    edited September 2009
    That's fine, our first session was mostly spent making macros haha.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    Heck, I still spend half the session fiddling with my macros.

Uh, I mean, what am I saying, I don't do that, I'm paying attention to what Aegeri's saying and...stuff.

Mars on
    edited September 2009
    As a reminder (or possibly as it hasn't come up) you get a free implement or weapon expertise feat at level 5 (You can take focused expertise as well if you want). So don't worry about those feats, you'll get one for free at that point (unless you have secondary weapons you want to use).

Aegeri on
    edited September 2009
    So here are the general rules for immediate interrupts in the game, this is based somewhat on another campaign I've been running that has entered into paragon tier (where these are common). These aren't common right now, except maybe the occasional exceptional circumstance but being aware of how I intend to rule this is more than useful:

Immediate Interrupts

An attack or action that you want to use an immediate interrupt against must be done before the action resolves. In the case of movement, before the creature stops movement. In the case of an attack, the immediate interrupt must be declared before damage is taken. Once whatever creature affected takes damage, you cannot respond to it with an immediate interrupt anymore (as the action has fully resolved and ended).

Ideally, you should give about 5-10 seconds after being hit by a monster to allow your allies to make an immediate interrupt. If you take damage, you are hit and they are no longer able to respond. When you take damage on your token, that resolves the action and immediate interrupts to that action are no longer possible. This is the same for monsters as well - when they take damage they may not respond to the triggering action (as it has now ended).

If the target doesn't take damage, it's a missed attack (or it doesn't deal damage) you have the same 5-10 second window to declare any immediate interrupts, like increasing your attack bonus with the likes of a wizards wand accuracy boost.

Basically you must use your immediate interrupts when the action that would trigger it occurs. If you don't, you cannot retroactively change it once the next action has begun and I'm no longer going to allow it to do so. At the same time, I'm going to give you a bit of time between monster turns to react or decide what to do (see multiple attacks below - massive change to the way monsters work!).

Obviously common sense should be applied. There is no need to wait after moving near an enemy if nobody has any reactions against it and neither do the monsters. This is mostly here to resolve fiddling with powers that boost defenses against enemy attacks and monsters with attacks that trigger on being missed/hit by attacks from PCs (the two most common situations).

Immediate reactions

You must wait until the action fully resolves before you may use an immediate reaction. In the case of movement, you must wait until the creature stops moving. In the case of an attack, when the target of the attack takes damage you can make a reaction to it (if the attack misses, that technically resolves it as well and you can react to it). The same sort of thing as above, ideally you should allow a few moments after an action for these things. Once a new action has started, moving, attacking you've lost your window and cannot react anymore.

Multiple attack powers

All multiple attack powers must be separate attacks now. Twin Strike should be two different attacks, a dragons Draconic fury should be (in the case of the dragon you fought on Sunday) five separate attacks (see below). Good examples of how this should be done are Lains Storm of Blades and (ironically) the Mariliths ability to make six basic attacks. You need to decide if you are going to apply extra damage effects or similar on each attack separately (if they can only be applied on a limited basis), you cannot roll all your attacks and decide to apply this retroactively anymore (unless it specifically allows you to do so like Hunters Quarry actually states it can).

With regards to the first couple of things above, you cannot make an Immediate Interrupt/Immediate reaction once a new attack has begun. All creatures/PCs with multiple attacks should give a few moments between each attack (don't just hammer the button!) to give me or other players a chance to interrupt/react.

Here is an example from the Adamantine Dragon of how multiple attacks should look now:

MultipleAttacks.jpg

Note that in every case, the next attack does not occur until damage is taken. The point here is to allow you to decide when you want to use immediate interrupts or reactions, giving you time to do so and leading to less strange situations. Especially because enemies using multiple attacks and similar becomes much more common by epic tier!

Obviously this does not apply to close burst/blast and area attacks. One macro is sufficient for these.

What this doesn't effect

You can always retroactively (and in some cases have to):

Roll a saving throw if you forget - you have to do this anyway so even if you forget you still can. Note that if this allows you to make an opportunity attack you could have made, say you were stunned and then weren't I will allow you to make that opportunity attack you were entitled to - this is a special exception.
    Apply or end a state
    Add bonus damage if you forgot to do it that would have occurred on the attack anyway, eg a bonus to damage to attacks from raging (unless it is an immediate interrupt, reaction or you have to choose to apply it, then you cannot).
    Similarly, if you forgot you had relevant damage reduction you may adjust your HP accordingly.
    Add or subtract HP from the beginning of your turn due to regeneration/ongoing damage.

Important: Maptools Upgrade!

We are upgrading to Maptools Beta 59.

Aegeri on
    edited October 2009
    A list of my remaining resources roughly halfway through the poltergeist fight(i.e., the point when everyone left the fatty dwarf behind because he has 5 move).

1 second wind: minor action(did end up using, though at an inopportune time, as I had to rush after the squishies)
    Dwarven Armor: free action(did not use)
    Comeback Strike: standard(did not get a chance to use, because any potential Ready actions were taken up by frantic waddling)
    Boundless Endurance: minor action(unused)
    3 healing potions: minor action(unused)

Watching the Sorcerer charge into harm's way with no healing surges after declaring that he's not supposed to take damage: priceless

Mars on