As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sen. Ted Kennedy dies at 77

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Fuck you, Huckabee.
    The 2008 Republican presidential candidate suggested during his radio show, "The Huckabee Report," on Thursday that, under President Obama's health care plan, Kennedy would have been told to "go home to take pain pills and die" during his last year of life.
    As it happens, Huckabee made his remarks shortly after he derided Democrats for using Kennedy's death to make the pitch that "Congress must hurry and pass the health care reform bill and do it in his memory,"

My favorite part of this is of course that if Kennedy weren't you know, a Senator or someone similarly powerful (like a Kennedy), that would have been his treatment under the current system.

Actually, from what I've read that basically was his treatment. He had a glioblastoma, which has a median life expectancy prognosis of about 15 months. Sure, he had the best care available, but this is a kind of particularly nasty cancer that has so far not had much success as far as treatment goes.

There really isn't much else that can be done other than managing the pain and symptoms, from what I've read.

Eh, he had access to aggressive treatments, though they don't do much about this particular kind of tumor thus far.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    gigEsmalls wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »
    I think ignorant, and too lazy and stubborn to fix that ignorance, would be a good way to describe us.

Lazy really is the wrong terms, Americans tend to work pretty hard. I'm not sure what the right term is, but alot of the righties are locked in little cognitive feedback loops that refuse to accept reality.

I'd love for some psychologist to analyze the right as a whole, I mean it's groupthink 101, but there's more to it than that.

Intellectually apathetic, maybe? People get to a point where they have a little bit of information about something and they figure that's all they need. They aren't interested in informing themselves any further.
    People also develop a trust for specific people or sources that makes them extra super gullible to anything those sources might spew out. See; Fair and Balanced.

See; your arrogance.
    Do you really want to jump to the defense of Fox News?

You should defend your sense of superiority over those who have a different opinion.
    This has nothing to do with their opinions. It's purely about the legitimacy of single-source news.

How do you know Americans in general are using a single source for news?

gigEsmalls on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »
    I think ignorant, and too lazy and stubborn to fix that ignorance, would be a good way to describe us.

Lazy really is the wrong terms, Americans tend to work pretty hard. I'm not sure what the right term is, but alot of the righties are locked in little cognitive feedback loops that refuse to accept reality.

I'd love for some psychologist to analyze the right as a whole, I mean it's groupthink 101, but there's more to it than that.

Intellectually apathetic, maybe? People get to a point where they have a little bit of information about something and they figure that's all they need. They aren't interested in informing themselves any further.
    People also develop a trust for specific people or sources that makes them extra super gullible to anything those sources might spew out. See; Fair and Balanced.

See; your arrogance.
    Do you really want to jump to the defense of Fox News?

You should defend your sense of superiority over those who have a different opinion.
    This has nothing to do with their opinions. It's purely about the legitimacy of single-source news.

Who said anything about "American in general?" I'm talking about the people who watch one channel or visit one website or even those that frequent multiple sources with the same slant without stepping back to look at the issues objectively.

They are, unfortunately, a fairly large chunk of the public in general. Polling on things like Death Panels and Obama's Citizenship would put it at about 30% of the population subsisting on non-objective news.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Pew Research Center. Though it is thankfully not a majority of people, the amount of time people spend on the news and where they spend it is rather saddening. TV sucks for news, except for MacNeil/Lehrer, and even that is pretty bad when compared to other formats more amenable to long form storytelling and analysis.

moniker on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really guys, sure Ted Kennedy's death does have an impact on health care and the media reporting of it, but can you take the whole 'responsibility of the media' topic to a different thread?

Also, that obit from Obama was really touching

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    Kennedys, Clintons and the Bushes. Makes me wonder how long before we see a brand new political dynasty?

gigEsmalls on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kennedys, Clintons and the Bushes. Makes me wonder how long before we see a brand new political dynasty?

Those dynasties are almost all dead or crippled for a long time. That doesn't stop new ones from arising because the family is an extremely useful powerbase.

Couscous on
    edited August 2009

By definition that would be a generation. Also, it ignores a hell of a lot of political dynasties that are relatively weak. Politics tends to be a family business. That they don't necessarily get to the pinnacles of power don't make them any less real.

moniker on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, how are the Clintons a political Dynasty?

Fencingsax on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone related to topic since it's on health care - John Stossel (sp?) had a special on 20/20 that saying giving more insurance would increase prices cause people wouldn't 'shop around'.

Something seems wrong about that.

Magus` on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Magus` wrote: »
    Someone related to topic since it's on health care - John Stossel (sp?) had a special on 20/20 that saying giving more insurance would increase prices cause people wouldn't 'shop around'.

Everything?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Really guys, sure Ted Kennedy's death does have an impact on health care and the media reporting of it, but can you take the whole 'responsibility of the media' topic to a different thread?

Also, that obit from Obama was really touching

Is there a clip of it online? I turned the TV off during the church thing because it was so dreadfully boring and haven't turned it back on since.

MKR on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well for one you watched a special with John Stossel and took his opinion into consideration instead of mocking outright as is proper.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited August 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I included Hillary as she was close to being President.

gigEsmalls on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The President's eulogy was good. Ted Jr's (the non-Congressman) was great.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited August 2009

He's a libertarian hack who biases all of his reporting to tell you why the government would suck, regardless of facts?

enlightenedbum on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I included Hillary as she was close to being President.

Okay, I know the Clintons are from the south, but I don't think they're actually related, let alone a line.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Will right wing radio talk shows have the dignity not to bash the eulogies on Monday?

emnmnme on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Will right wing radio talk shows have the dignity not to bash the eulogies on Monday?

They didn't have the dignity not to start talking trash days after he passed away. I am not certain what they will bash about the eulogies since they all seem non-political but instead just statements about a man who served his country.

I have only heard parts of Ted Jr's but I hear it was the most moving of all of them.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited August 2009
    They're going to say it was just like Wellstone's funeral, regardless of the fact that Wellstone's funeral wasn't like Wellstone's funeral. And God knows Reagan/Ford's death weren't treated as momentous political occasions by the right.

enlightenedbum on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck you, Huckabee.
    The 2008 Republican presidential candidate suggested during his radio show, "The Huckabee Report," on Thursday that, under President Obama's health care plan, Kennedy would have been told to "go home to take pain pills and die" during his last year of life.
    As it happens, Huckabee made his remarks shortly after he derided Democrats for using Kennedy's death to make the pitch that "Congress must hurry and pass the health care reform bill and do it in his memory,"

This is the kind of thing an internet troll would say. A political commentator should refrain from that kind of shit.

Also, Karl Rove's bullshit was in bad taste too. When your political opponent dies, you don't continue arguing against their political stances or career.

What the fuck is wrong with Fox and the political right?

Henroid on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In my defense, someone ELSE was watching 20/20, I just overhead it.

So, stupid hack, got it.

Magus` on
    edited August 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    How long you got?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck you, Huckabee.

This is the kind of thing an internet troll would say. A political commentator should refrain from that kind of shit.

Also, Karl Rove's bullshit was in bad taste too. When your political opponent dies, you don't continue arguing against their political stances or career.

The question reveals the answer.

MKR on
    edited August 2009
    I seem to recall a bit of vitriol with Strom Thurmond's passing.

One should not speak ill of the dead (at least, not the recently dead) but neither should one be a hagiographer.

moniker on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    moniker wrote: »

One should not speak ill of the dead (at least, not the recently dead) but neither should one be a hagiographer.

I get mad when people are disrespectful toward Ted Kennedy but I know that I've done some serious gravedancing of my own in the past (Falwell springs to mind). I justify this to myself by noting that Kennedy was a good person and Falwell was terrible, but I know that other people feel the opposite. So.

Hachface on
    edited August 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

I get mad when people are disrespectful toward Ted Kennedy but I know that I've done some serious gravedancing of my own in the past (Falwell springs to mind). I justify this to myself by noting that Kennedy was a good person and Falwell was terrible, but I know that other people feel the opposite. So.
    To be fair, Kennedy never actively peddled hate to advance his career, unlike the other two examples.

OptimusZed on

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't Christoper Hitchens have some huge rant when Falwell died about how dying doesn't mean you don't deserve to be ripped apart?

EDIT:

Yerp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKkOSMaTk4

"And why not now a word from the friend of Jack Abramoff's"

Ha!

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The difference is that Kennedy actually accomplished something altruistic.

Thanatos on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow, Christopher Hitchens is an ass in that clip while Ralph Reed is wearing a halo.

emnmnme on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wow, Christopher Hitchens is an ass in that clip while Ralph Reed is wearing a halo.

You would think that if you didn't know anything about Jerry Falwell prior to watching.

Hachface on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Even when Falwell died I kept my mouth shut. The most I said was, "I can't say I'll miss him."

Henroid on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Even when Falwell died I kept my mouth shut. The most I said was, "I can't say I'll miss him."
    Honestly, the "Can't say something nice, don't say anything" policy probably works best here.

Fencingsax on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't. Jerry Falwell was a huge fucking bigot, and the world was a better place without him in it.

Ted Kennedy wasn't. Regardless of which side of the aisle you fell on, Ted Kennedy wasn't a bigot, didn't support bigoted causes, and was a better man than Jerry Falwell could ever dream of being. The world is a worse place for his passing. That's the difference.

Thanatos on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You don't become immune to criticism just because you kicked off.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2009
    Just to be clear, I agree that someone dying is not an excuse to whitewash their actions or philosophies while alive.

Fencingsax on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just think hiding behind "can't say something nice..." is childish. We're not his family; no one should be seriously offended by frank talk about his life just because he died recently.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, remember that Chappaquiddick, at the end of the day, did result in a death, so to see that invoked in Kennedy gravedancing does at least have merit to it. Devil's advocate and all.

And I can't claim wholesome purity either, and I can't even claim to have limited myself to political figures. I've done it twice with baseball team owners- Marge Schott and Carl Pohlad.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited August 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Well, remember that Chappaquiddick, at the end of the day, did result in a death, so to see that invoked in Kennedy gravedancing does at least have merit to it. Devil's advocate and all.

And I can't claim wholesome purity either, and I can't even claim to have limited myself to political figures. I've done it twice with baseball team owners- Marge Schott and Carl Pohlad.

I have the feeling that when conservatives dance on Kennedy's grave, it's not really out of a deep-seated concern for the life of Mary Jo Kopechne. Meanwhile when I say that I am glad Jerry Falwell is dead because he was a bigot who worked tirelessly to make my life miserable, I mean it completely. So there's not that much merit to what the Chappaquiddick howlers say.

Hachface on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I know. I'm simply saying.... not 100% baseless. Completely ignorant of the 40 years spent making up for it, but not completely ignorant full-stop.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.