As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hate my neighbor's dog

ErandusErandus Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So. My Neighbor has a dog. It wont shut up. It's a little yappy black thing with curly fur that looks like it's probably a terrier of some sort. He lets it out every morning at 7 am. It starts barking. When I come home from work at 5, it's still barking. It literally barks every minute of the day with no more than a 15-30 second break at any time, until he lets it inside at 10pm. Assuming he hasn't passed out drunk (he's an unemployed bum) and forgotten to let it in. It does not stop barking. Ever. EVER. It barks at everything that moves. If nothing is moving, it barks at nothing. It is a piercing, hellish daemon howl that I cannot escape from anywhere in my house.

He lets it out and the first thing it does is shit on my lawn. The place he ties it up is directly under my bedroom window. He steals water from the spigot on the side of my house to water it. I have called the cops many, many, many times about it. If it's late at night and he's forgotten to let it in, they stop by and ask him to take it inside. I have calmly walked over to his house, knocked on his door, and asked him to do something about it. His response was "fuck you, cocksucker".

A few days ago he started feeding it bread instead of dog food, I assume because he's a glorified hobo. I called around to ask how to get ahold of Animal Control in my area, and I was told that we live in such a tiny ass town that Animal Control = the cops. The cops came, told him not to feed it bread anymore, and that was that. The cops literally do nothing but tell him to stop, and tell me they're deeply concerned. This has been going on since April.

Before I mow my lawn I have to go pick up all his dog's shit off of it, and throw it on his lawn. He comes outside and calls me a cocksucker and tells me to "get over here", which I ignore, because I'm not that stupid to go onto his property. He never personally crosses mine. I ask him to tie his dog up where it cant reach my lawn and he calls me a cocksucker. I ask the police to do something about this, and they show up to have a talk with him, and he moves his dog away from my lawn for a few days before it slowly creeps back to the property line.

I rent. My landlord is aware but fairly impartial.

I am going insane via dog. What the hell else can I do here? I will not hurt the dog, or do anything illegal or immoral. HALP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Erandus on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BB Gun. That'll learn him.

There really isn't much you can do, I don't think, unless you want to try and actually press charges for harassment or something.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I guess you could build a fence?

not much you can do about the noise. Lots of places have bylaws about noise between midnight and 7AM but that won't do you much good.

Dman on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All you can do is keep calling cops. They also make things you can put on your lawn that turn off animals (usually because of a smell, some make a high pitched noise).

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would start piling his dogs shit into a pile on his lawn.

OR you could look up litter fees and tickets and report those specifically to the police. As in "It is against the law for him to do what he is doing, here is the law that specifically talks about it. Please fine him, as I have complained about this to him and the police in the past. If you do not, I would like to speak to your supervisor. If you don't give the police the option to let him off easy, they will most likely follow up. I would say that every day the dog craps in your yard, call the police.

Every time the dog is outside barking more than 10 minutes, call the police. If it is a small enough town, the police will eventually do something about it, as they can't feasibly continue talking to him every day.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honestly? If it's as bad as you say it is, move.

That's what I'd do.

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I got a paint mixer and a big yellow bucket and made a sort of feces soup and poured it in someones little flower patch in front of their door once. It didn't make them stop, but it made me feel better.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to keep calling the cops, hoping they eventually get sick of heaing from me. I hope to move in February, and at least over the winter the dog will (err.. i hope?) be inside most of the time.

I'll ask about littering or harassment or any way to officially request that the police elevate the matter.

I was hoping there was some sort of county or state based animal rescue that could supersede the police jurisdiction as our defacto animal control.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Had a similar (though not nearly as bad by the sound of it!) experience with a neighbors yappy little dogs. Called the police a bunch and while it got her fined a few times I think, what really helped was getting one of these.

I initially thought it was hokum, but it worked a treat.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Had a similar (though not nearly as bad by the sound of it!) experience with a neighbors yappy little dogs. Called the police a bunch and while it got her fined a few times I think, what really helped was getting one of these.

I initially thought it was hokum, but it worked a treat.

Hmm.... that is highly intriguing. Thank you, fire.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No worries duder - best of luck sorting the situation out.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    I'm going to keep calling the cops, hoping they eventually get sick of heaing from me. I hope to move in February, and at least over the winter the dog will (err.. i hope?) be inside most of the time.

I'll ask about littering or harassment or any way to officially request that the police elevate the matter.

I was hoping there was some sort of county or state based animal rescue that could supersede the police jurisdiction as our defacto animal control.

You can see about the ASPCA.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's minor, but look into getting a spigot lock like I've seen grocery store and gas stations having. They need a small key peg to turn on.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    since the cops in your town seem like indifferent assholes : http://www.barkingdogs.net/ducequity.shtml

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That website doesn't seem to be written by a lawyer or someone who is at all familiar with laws and doesn't cite any actual law and seems to be completely anecdotal. That would not be the best source of info.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can just get some dog repellent solution and apply it to your property.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That website doesn't seem to be written by a lawyer or someone who is at all familiar with laws and doesn't cite any actual law and seems to be completely anecdotal. That would not be the best source of info.
    disclaimer: i skimmed that page for about 5 seconds. it should have been accompanied with IANAL, in retrospect.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to continue bugging the police on a generally daily basis, and thank you for the spigot lock idea.

It didn't occur to me that my 120 dollar water bills might be the result of him stealing water from me until one of the other neighbors informed me that this guy doesn't pay his water bill for 4-6 months at a time. This also means that he can't flush his toilet, and apparently he shits in a 5 gallon plastic bucket in his garage, and then walks to one of the businesses down the street and dumps his shit-bucket in their dumpster.

This guy's a real class act.

I don't honestly know what the police will ever do. When I say my town is small, I am not exagerating. If the town population is 1000 people by now, I would be surprised. Its probably realistically around 900. Our police station is one of those temporary trailer buildings like you see at construction sites. They seem to prefer to not rock the boat and just show up and tell him he's gotta knock it off. He does for a day or two, and then we're back where we started.

So, I will keep bothering them and hope their desire to not be bothered eventually supersedes their desire to not do their jobs. I will also buy a spigot lock and head to home depot to look into dog repellents, sonic or chemical.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    carl_athf_150.gif

Your Neighbor?

You mentioned your landlord is fairly impartial on the situation...but have you asked him about a fence? That'd do enough to keep the dog away. And if the neighbor is as horrible as he sounds, he just might break the fence, inviting all sorts of real trouble from the landlord/cops.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When he ties up the dog, is it actually on your property and yours alone, or a shared yard? And is it possible to untie the dog (as in, you can get to it without it biting you)? Yeah, it'd be an ass thing to do, but tying up your dog on someone else's lawn doesn't fulfill the 'responsible' part of 'being a responsible dog owner'. Also, if it's loose, you can can animal control / cops on it, and they'll eventually take it in, guy pays pound fine, etc.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd go with a spigot lock first. This will at least cut him off from leeching your water. As far as you know, he might be smuggling entire bathtubs full of water to take baths in.

I'd also write a letter to the ASPCA. You may get lucky and they will lean on your local cops or state government to remove the dog from him so it can actually be adopted by someone that gives a shit about him.

What's hilarious is that if he was really smart, he'd be stealing water then putting it in his toilet's tank so he could flush it. But if he wants to just shit in a bucket..

Is there a window above the spigot? Do you have a Canon camera? You could set up motion detection on the camera and try to catch him taking from the spigot. You would then at least have a trespassing charge so the police could actually do something about him (he sounds like he seriously needs help).

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You could ki-
    I will not hurt the dog, or do anything illegal or immoral. HALP.

Oh, never mind.

Uh. I don't think is much you CAN do, anything you can will involve the dog somehow as police are fairly useless in this area. Hose the dog maybe? I have no idea.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It didn't occur to me that my 120 dollar water bills might be the result of him stealing water from me.
    Oh hell yeah, if your neighbor is siphoning water from your hose bibb then you need to tell the cops. It can easily be the cause of your pricey bills.

You could install a stop just after the bibb, in order to cut off the flow. Or you could install a commercial bibb, which has a specialized key in order to turn it. Or if you've got the right type of handle as to be able to thread a padlock through it (and threaded tightly, too), you can always try throwing a padlock on there

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There should be a way to cut water to the spigot from the inside. I do it in the winter so that shit won't freeze. Then you can just turn it on when/if you actually use that particular spigot.

Is the dude renting as well? Even if he owns the house, if he can't even pay his water bill you're pretty much garanteed to be free of him in the coming months. Also, tell the local businesses that some dude is most likely dumping his feces in their dumpsters. I'm pretty sure that's not legal.

Sorry, none of this involves the dog. I don't think there's an immediate solution that doesn't involve some sort of violence.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Serious answer: I've know some people who claim that devices like the one FireWateretc posted work well. Worth a shot at that price.

Joke answer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207524/

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FF wrote: »
    You mentioned your landlord is fairly impartial on the situation...but have you asked him about a fence?

I'd love a fence, but my landlord is apparently broke and has a hard time paying to have even really important stuff fixed.
    When he ties up the dog, is it actually on your property and yours alone, or a shared yard? And is it possible to untie the dog (as in, you can get to it without it biting you)? Yeah, it'd be an ass thing to do, but tying up your dog on someone else's lawn doesn't fulfill the 'responsible' part of 'being a responsible dog owner'. Also, if it's loose, you can can animal control / cops on it, and they'll eventually take it in, guy pays pound fine, etc.

It's mostly on his property, but it can wander 5 or 10 feet into my yard. To untie it, I'd have to walk onto his property, and I'm not really excited about that.
    Is the dude renting as well? Even if he owns the house, if he can't even pay his water bill you're pretty much garanteed to be free of him in the coming months.
    His ex-wife bought the house for him after they divorced. She is apparently filthy rich. Why would not paying his water bill "guarantee me to be free of him"? I don't follow you.
    Also, tell the local businesses that some dude is most likely dumping his feces in their dumpsters. I'm pretty sure that's not legal.
    They know, many have started locking up their dumpsters.
    I don't think there's an immediate solution that doesn't involve some sort of violence.

I'm afraid that's probably true. I'm going to look for a spigot lock today and start shopping around for dog repellents.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    His ex-wife bought the house for him after they divorced. She is apparently filthy rich. Why would not paying his water bill "guarantee me to be free of him"? I don't follow you.
    Ah. I'd just meant that a guy who can't/doesn't pay his water bill probably isn't keeping up with his rent/mortgage. But, if the house is bought and paid for, then I guess all he has to worry about are the property taxes.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    She pays those too. And once every 4 or 5 months she pays all the utility bills he's behind on, and he has gas and electricity and water for a month and they get shut off again. And sometimes she brings him groceries. He literally only has to worry about where he's going to get his beer from next. The bars and the 1 gas station in town have cut him off.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there any way you can make friends with this guy?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Heh.

Lets put it this way. I don't believe he's ever spoken a single sentence to me ever wherein it was not implied that I like to suck cock.

The first words he ever spoke to me were "Fuck off, cocksucker" just before he slammed the door in my face.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can you befriend the dog?
    Do... do you want a dog?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The dog loves everyone. I would prefer not to own a dog. ;)

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where are you again?

The legal remedy described in the link on the previous page is essentially correct so far as I can tell for general situations, (except that there haven't been separate proceedings for equity and money judgments for fucking ages in the US), but you have this weird one where the dog is on your property and the guy is stealing from you at the same time. Presumably he must come on to your property to do that theft?

A camera would be significantly more useful than a spigot lock, I think.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Central Iowa.

Yes he has to come onto my property to get to the water. I don't have a motion activated camera option, and I'm sure the guy is too cagey to do it while I'm home.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I know exactly nothing at all about Iowa. If you really wanted to, you could contact a lawyer and ask for some advice. You likely won't have to go to trial, and there would be some outlay in court fees, but there's a good shot there.

Earplugs would be a lot cheaper than paying a lawyer to bring a case for you, though.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it's not worth that much effort, I don't think.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will the dog run if you cut its leash? When the dog came onto my property I'd cut it loose and let it run off. I'm willing to bet the dog doesn't like the guy much more than you do. After that I would call animal control but from the sound of it the cops would just bring the damn dog back to the guy.

You could also try getting a much bigger dog. I had a very similar problem to yours except this fucking animal was across the street. Its bark would wake me every morning. Eventually I just let my dog out (100 lb pit bull/bulldog) and that put a stop to the problem very quickly. However that could be illegal in your area considering leash laws and whatnot. Also buying a dog just to combat another dog is not really a good reason to get a dog.

Shogun on
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    Will the dog run if you cut its leash? When the dog came onto my property I'd cut it loose and let it run off. I'm willing to bet the dog doesn't like the guy much more than you do. After that I would call animal control but from the sound of it the cops would just bring the damn dog back to the guy.

You could also try getting a much bigger dog. I had a very similar problem to yours except this fucking animal was across the street. Its bark would wake me every morning. Eventually I just let my dog out (100 lb pit bull/bulldog) and that put a stop to the problem very quickly. However that could be illegal in your area considering leash laws and whatnot. Also buying a dog just to combat another dog is not really a good reason to get a dog.

However, it implanted a hilarious image in my mind. God we have a dog like that in our neighbourhood. I always wonder what sort of people do not give a fuck if their dog is barking 24/7.

X3x3non on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Central Iowa.

Yes he has to come onto my property to get to the water. I don't have a motion activated camera option, and I'm sure the guy is too cagey to do it while I'm home.

Do you have a Canon camera?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FF wrote: »
    You mentioned your landlord is fairly impartial on the situation...but have you asked him about a fence?

I'd love a fence, but my landlord is apparently broke and has a hard time paying to have even really important stuff fixed.

It's mostly on his property, but it can wander 5 or 10 feet into my yard. To untie it, I'd have to walk onto his property, and I'm not really excited about that.

You can take a trip to the hardware store / garden supply / whathaveyou, and get a pretty cheap roll of chicken wire / poultry wire. Get 2" mesh instead of 1", it's cheaper, and then whatever height you need. 2'? 3'? I don't remember how big you said the dog was. Even a 25' length of wire is relatively cheap yet durable. Then for hooking this up, you can either nail it to a couple trees, between a mailbox fencepost and a tree, whathaveyou, or if there's nothing else, get a couple of these

692910-15%20Stud%20T%20Post.jpg

Usually called t-posts, and usually available in varying sizes to match the height of the wire, and a good store gives the metal clips with them (or make your own out of a length of wire), and pound them in with a small sledge (or rent a t-post 'pounder), wire up the fence and you're ready. Really, given a couple hours, and it will be a nice looking barrier (rather than say a row of pallets and scrap wood) that's still removable. And I know it sounds like some major project, but trust me it's minor and relatively cheap.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    metroid remember a lot of neighborhoods forbid that sort of thing

Raneados on