As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX 2009 Rock Band Tournament!

• Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Expert Guitarist, with a little rust, and a mostly expert drummer here.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Unless Jetman has any objections, wanna join up with us bud?

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Might as well.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    JeTmAnJeTmAn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sounds like we just need a bassist now :)

JeTmAn on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If we can't find anyone, I have a last resort expert bassist. He's pretty good... but if we can find better, that'd be preferrable XD. Now we just need to come up with a band name and a place to meet up and we're golden.

The DIMD on
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The DIMD wrote: »
    If we can't find anyone, I have a last resort expert bassist. He's pretty good... but if we can find better, that'd be preferrable XD. Now we just need to come up with a band name and a place to meet up and we're golden.

I am said expert Bassist.
    I can pitch in if you can't find anyone else, the only issue is that I'd have to drop some of the stuff i'm doing.
    But if you need a bassist and can't find one, I'd be up for the job.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    KethennKethenn Registered User staff
    edited August 2009
    Alright, sorry about that delay guys. PAX is less than a week away and it's WTF CRAZYYYYYY

Anyway. Your questions!

What equipment will you have?
    Our qualifier stations will most likely be running standard RB2 hardware, incl drum kit, guitars, mic. The Rock Band Stage, which the last two rounds will be played on, will have an Ion Kit with a sweeeeet pedal, stock RB2 guitars, and I believe a tricked out, proper mic. We'd request that you not switch out hardware during the qualifier songs (it's hard to keep track of that shit), but after that you are welcome to swap instruments out (again, no split/double pedals or the like) so long as you offer the use of them to your opponents.

Can we pleeeeease use game modifiers like breakneck speed etc?
    Sorry, no.

Can Enforcers participate in this tournament?
    Attendees only! Enforcers can cheer their favorite bands on from the sidelines :D

What about a "performance tournament"?
    To be as fair and objective as possible, the tournament is strictly score-based; however, if we see a particularly spectacular performance at any point, we may decide to shower you with glories on the spot ;-).

Can your band pick the same song more than once in the tournament?
    Nope. You can only pick a song once (if your opponent picks a song, you're still free to pick it yourself later in the tournament).

SONGS AND STUFF
    Based on suggestions and resulting discussion, we've decided to make the following changes:
    ADDED : Alabama Getaway
    REMOVED : Hungry Like A Wolf
    BARRED UNTIL FINAL ROUND : Green Grass And High Tide, Panic Attack

This will be listed in the OP as well. Sorry for the delay, hit me with anything I might have missed!

Kethenn on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kethenn wrote: »
    We'd request that you not switch out hardware during the qualifier songs (it's hard to keep track of that shit), but after that you are welcome to swap instruments out (again, no split/double pedals or the like) so long as you offer the use of them to your opponents.

Just to clarify: does this include the Fender Precision Bass controller, which has the duel-strum?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    skeltonathskeltonath SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Any word on DLC availability?

skeltonath on
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    skeltonath wrote: »
    Any word on DLC availability?

Though they have not said anything, I am guessing that the free DLC is available. Last years PAX pack may be included too, but not likely.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    Diamond 333Diamond 333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's getting down to crunch time and my band is in desperate need of 1 or 2 extra members guitarist/bassist and/or vocalist. Please PM me... Last year my band did really well considering we had a vocalist who had never played the game before PAX. This year we are looking to get in the top 5. My drummer and I won the prepax xbox live tournament and we really need at least a vocalist for the band... Please reply and thank you to those who do...
    -Diamond 333
    (Gamertags- h2233 and KevinDDR)

Diamond 333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I can pitch in if you can't find anyone else, the only issue is that I'd have to drop some of the stuff i'm doing.

Hey there expert bassist! How about we consider you in unless someone wants to relieve you of the duties?

JeTmAn on
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JeTmAn wrote: »

Hey there expert bassist! How about we consider you in unless someone wants to relieve you of the duties?

That works just fine, I have no problem with that.
    What's there to lose anyway?
    :3

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    Legions Of AntsLegions Of Ants Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, barring some last minute luck, I missed out on getting Friday tickets for PAX(still looking for them!). I know the rock Band freeplay was only that night, but I got sunday tickets and I was wondering if there'd be any Rock Band or such that night? I've never been to PAX before, and that's one of the huge reasons I wanted to go.

Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, and thanks in advance for answers.

Legions Of Ants on
    Sonar signals singing back at me.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't assume that there'll be the freebie songs. We didn't have them last year.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    WolfboyWolfboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Expert guitarist, I can play bass but I'd rather not as I never really have, and mostly expert drummer here, aim me if you want to play before PAX, sn is Wolfboy11111

Wolfboy on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    wolfboysig.jpg
  • Options
    MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can we pleeeeease use game modifiers like breakneck speed etc?
    Sorry, no.

Bah, since your other rules are good I'll let this one slide. >_________>

It's hard to care about breakneck when the tournament has gotten every other aspect right.

Score based? Awesome. Ability to use own hardware during rounds? AWESOME! Being able to pick a song only once? Smart. I wish World Cyber Games was ran like the tournaments at PAX. They could use help with everything from you guys.

See you all Friday!

PS: Alabama Getaway, GETAWAY!

MrPulsar on
  • Options
    John-311John-311 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if I'll participate in the tournament (I'll give it a shot), but I'll be carrying my xbox HD with all Rock Band DLC and an xbox wi-fi adapter to play quickplay at random rock band freeplay stations throughout PAX. I would love to organize some kind of Rock Band freeplay party at pax so everyone can have access to all the DLC.

John-311 on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    John-311 wrote: »
    I don't know if I'll participate in the tournament (I'll give it a shot), but I'll be carrying my xbox HD with all Rock Band DLC and an xbox wi-fi adapter to play quickplay at random rock band freeplay stations throughout PAX. I would love to organize some kind of Rock Band freeplay party at pax so everyone can have access to all the DLC.

Uhhh changing out hard drives+hardware isn't exactly kosher. Be sure to ask first but don't be surprised if they say no :P

Also the way wifi was setup last year, that wont work for an xbox (there's no web browser on the 360 to enter the wifi password).

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    John-311John-311 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Uhhh changing out hard drives+hardware isn't exactly kosher. Be sure to ask first but don't be surprised if they say no :P

Also the way wifi was setup last year, that wont work for an xbox (there's no web browser on the 360 to enter the wifi password).
    Yeah, I would ask an enforcer before I did it. I'll bring my xbox too so there's no need to worry about wi-fi. I remember last year when all they had setup at Rock Band free play stations was the RB1 on disc songs. It seems ridiculous to to make people only play the same on disc songs over and over when there is over 800 songs available for RB and I'm willing to volunteer my xbox so people can play more songs. Hopefully there's some kind of middle ground that could be met?

John-311 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You won't be able to connect to the wifi because you won't be able to enter the wifi login details.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yeah, I would ask an enforcer before I did it. I'll bring my xbox too so there's no need to worry about wi-fi. I remember last year when all they had setup at Rock Band free play stations was the RB1 on disc songs. It seems ridiculous to to make people only play the same on disc songs over and over when there is over 800 songs available for RB and I'm willing to volunteer my xbox so people can play more songs. Hopefully there's some kind of middle ground that could be met?

If your hard drive has all the DLC, I definitely want to spend some time rocking those songs 8-)

JeTmAn on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

If your hard drive has all the DLC, I definitely want to spend some time rocking those songs 8-)

The rock band stage will have all of the DLC.

Since its my hard drive they are using :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Since its my hard drive they are using :P

Even excellent-er.

JeTmAn on
  • Options
    HoLeYHoLeY Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can you direct me to the LFG thread for this tournament?

(Expert Guitarist/Bassist...need team...)

Thanks! :)

HoLeY on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    This thread doubles as the LFG thread and the info thread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright, thanks! That said...I NEED A TEAM! LOL

As previously stated - expert bass/guitarist.

HoLeY on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You won't be able to connect to the wifi because you won't be able to enter the wifi login details.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I have a strange question, and i think i know the answer already, but i'll throw it out there. If a group were to want two vocalist, because one is a girl and just physically cannot reach the range to sing some of the songs, would that be allowed? I'm guessing no, but i want to find out before the group i'm trying to coordinate with invests a lot of time in trying to form a band.

CRCelf on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You are posting this. There must be a reason for it. I'm guessing it's because you can't play DLC without verifying some ownership token via the net? If so, pretty lame :(

JeTmAn on
  • Options
    MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    unfortunately that is the case, well, for the console. If you use a different 360 you have to log on to XBL to use DLC for Rock Band. If you're on any other 360 it won't work. Totally sucks and makes this stuff harder to do. :(

Also, good to hear BigRed is providing the DLC. :)

MrPulsar on
  • Options
    niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Saturday:
    • The lower seeded team will have first choice of song. For these rounds, all songs are currently fair game. Subject to change. Both teams will play the song, at whatever difficulty they each prefer. Highest score wins.

This isn't specified, but does the choosing band play their song second or at least decide whether they play first or second? So that if you choose to play Hungry Like the Wolf because you worked on a path for qualifiers[1], you don't have to reveal it until your opponent has played?

[1] believe it or not, not bitter -- pathing is fun!
    BigRed wrote:

Since its my hard drive they are using

w00000000000t.

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So who all is actually LFG? Maybe we can put something together?

Expert guitar/bass
    Mostly expert drums here

Wolfboy on
    wolfboysig.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LFG Expert Vocals and Drums

My supposed band decided not to attend PAX. :P

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ynglinkynglink Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Expert Guitar/Bass
    Expert Drums (On most things, not high end songs though)
    Expert Vocals (Also, not on all songs)

How about the 2 above and I make a band :D

ynglink on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ya I'd be cool with that....let's try to get a day in on xbox live? or just go for it, seeing as we don't have teams.

Wolfboy on
    wolfboysig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I AM LFG!

LIVE ID: HoL3Y

Interested in: EXPERT GUITAR/EXPERT BASS/LONG WALKS ON BEACHES/FRUIT LOOPS/BEING RICK-ROLLED

HoLeY on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    HoLeY wrote: »
    I AM LFG!

Interested in: EXPERT GUITAR/EXPERT BASS/LONG WALKS ON BEACHES/FRUIT LOOPS/BEING RICK-ROLLED

Hey dude. Jetman and I want you to join our band. He sent you a PM regarding it. We got 3 other people and just need an expert bass player. Let us know if you're down.

The DIMD on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I AM LFG!

Hey dude. Jetman and I want you to join our band. He sent you a PM regarding it. We got 3 other people and just need an expert bass player. Let us know if you're down.

I responded to him. I figured I should post my live ID as well. I sent him my telephone number via PM, so hopefully it will be awesome. I look forward to playing with you guys.

HoLeY on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I AM LFG!

I responded to him. I figured I should post my live ID as well. I sent him my telephone number via PM, so hopefully it will be awesome. I look forward to playing with you guys.

YAY!!!!! This is going to be awesome.

The DIMD on
This discussion has been closed.