As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terminator: Cancellation of Show Chronicles [nsf56k i guess]

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...Yeah.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I was about 8 when I saw T2.

Ghostbusters fucked me up more.

Fucking stone lions.

Fuck the stone lions. That spectral librarian scared the crap out of me.

Also, Poltergeist as a 7 year old may have been a mistake.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to picking up the first season of the sarah connor chonicles. Late to the party, sure, but at least not nearly as late as I've been on a number of other shows.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Bah, Librarian was tame. The ones who can sprout arms out of a fucking sofa and grab you? God damn.

Plus I used to sleep facing my door to make sure Chucky never got a hold of me.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Also, Poltergeist as a 7 year old may have been a mistake.

Oh God, I couldn't look at gnarly trees for years without getting freaked out.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Really they have just entirely fucked up the concept of what Skynet actually is and just made it evil for the sake of being evil. The reason Skynet attacks humanity at all in the first place is because people panic and try to shut it off, Skynet wasn't malicious in any way (in fact it can't be said to have acted with evil intent) it just wanted to survive and acted to protect itself. Its very likely Skynet had no concept of what humanity is, the war broke out hours, maybe days after it became self aware and I think its reasonable to say that humanity caused, and continued to give Skynet cause to fight the war because they wanted to kill it.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Really they have just entirely fucked up the concept of what Skynet actually is and just made it evil for the sake of being evil. The reason Skynet attacks humanity at all in the first place is because people panic and try to shut it off, Skynet wasn't malicious in any way (in fact it can't be said to have acted with evil intent) it just wanted to survive and acted to protect itself. Its very likely Skynet had no concept of what humanity is, the war broke out hours, maybe days after it became self aware.

I wonder if that's a theme that's been addressed in sci-fi; a standard "machine becomes self-aware, ponders destroying humanity" story, but where the machine is actually aware of the fiction along those lines that came before it. Y'know, takes a few miliseconds to browse over Frankenstein, the Terminator series, etc, and if the existance of these media either give it a reason to rethink the whole situation, or shows it that humans are innately afraid of artificial intelligence, and that wiping us out is clearly the only viable solution?

I'm sure it's come up somewhere, but I can't recall an instance of it off the top of my head.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Skynet accessed a lot of information on startup is my understanding which is how it became self aware, then humans tried to unplug it, essentially killing it, so it lashed out to defend itself the way anyone would, its just that it had access to nuclear missiles and nothing else to protect itself.

Its a lot more interesting an entity before T3-T4.

DO they even try to unplug it in T3 or does it just decide to kill everyone for the sake of it?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think its interesting to consider a scenario where we create a true AI and give it access to the internet (or just wikipedia, other encyclopedia's and some select media) on a low broadband connection making it unable to transmit itself elsewhere and just see how it pans out. Never give it reason to believe we might turn it off or just guarantee the AI "life". I really wonder how an entity with the ability to process information thousands of times faster then us would really react to its creators.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think its interesting to consider a scenario where we create a true AI and give it access to the internet (or just wikipedia, other encyclopedia's and some select media) on a low broadband connection making it unable to transmit itself elsewhere and just see how it pans out. Never give it reason to believe we might turn it off or just guarantee the AI "life". I really wonder how an entity with the ability to process information thousands of times faster then us would really react to its creators.

John Henry.

IF you teach it morals.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One of the most interesting takes on "super-smart AI" I've seen are the Minds in the Culture. They don't want to exterminate mankind, because humanity poses no threat, doesn't compete for any AI resources, and are really entertaining.

(Well, technically the Culture isn't made up of humans, but you get the drift)

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I dunno if John Henry can be used as an example, why even "teach" an AI morals? Thats just trying to constrain its developement in order for us to be able to relate to it in some way. Obviously the responsible way to create an AI is in an isolated system but with access to most, if not all human knowledge and history. By doing this you have an entity that can then formulate its own experience of its existence, its entirely reasonable to expect that an AI simply won't be able to cope with self awareness and opt to terminate itself, or it may devote its entire computational capacity to scientific theory and research. We can't really know but I think an AI might simply become bored with its existance if its not constantly challenged.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We dont let children formulate their own existence, we teach them essentials so they dont wear fire to a dance and have sex with lions.

We'd teach it morals so it doesnt run around thinking life of any kind is expendable. Not that we are any kind of exemplary species, I always thought humans were the bad guys in the Terminator films, I mean they capture sentient machines, leave them switched to read only and send them back in time to sacrifice themselves for other humans. They'd be unlikely for example to accept Shirleybot just as Sarah was ready to kill her simply for being a machine despite the fact she didnt slaughter her the instant she saw her.

But it does need to learn that as much as we respect its right to exist it needs to respect ours.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But will we respect its right to exist? Lets say the french government reveals tomorrow that they have created a true AI in an underground bunker somewhere in France and that it has achieved self awareness and is right now absorbing information through the internet. Do you think the UN security council would immediatly demand that it be destroyed out of fear? I know religious groups will and its likely fanatics or terroists will attempt to attack it.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We make sure there's eleventy billion software and physical failsafes incase it gets uppity

override367 on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really don't think there's a compelling reason for human/AI war. Let's say I, Joe Research Conglomerate, creates a sentient AI in a mainframe somewhere. Why would the AI and I have a conflict, unless some aspect of its nature was burdensome or unpleasant to it which I could just as easily go on to fix?

AIs really only need electrical power, a tiny amount of physical space and metal, and we have plenty of all that. Why fight? We have no resources to compete over. Unless I (the human) pose some threat to it, it has no reason to defend itself.

SkyNET only makes sense because it was defending itself from being murdered using the other methods it had at its disposal, and it was only being murdered because the human controllers didn't know any better.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But will we respect its right to exist? Lets say the french government reveals tomorrow that they have created a true AI in an underground bunker somewhere in France and that it has achieved self awareness and is right now absorbing information through the internet. Do you think the UN security council would immediatly demand that it be destroyed out of fear? I know religious groups will and its likely fanatics or terroists will attempt to attack it.

Well a French AI would just nuke Tahiti and then smoke a cigarette. So most likely we'd leave it be.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A french AI would simply surrender to any who opposed it, itd be a pretty pathetic war.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »

edit - Heck, its like they recorded the ending monologue after watching the finale of battlestar galactica! "All AIs are fundamental evil, fleshy bits good, metal bits bad!"

Oh for the love of fucking god.

I don't see whats so absurd, they both said the exact same thing, and they were both just as stupid. When two SF properties use the same absurd statement in close proximity I think its worthy of comment.

Because that isn't at all what it was saying.
    BSG was saying, in your words, that the way the fleshy bits used and created the metal bits was fundamentally evil, which resulted in bad AI and would always do so if a drastic change wasn't made.

The issue wasn't the technology, but rather humanity's utilization of it and how that use and abuse effectively created genocidal monsters. They weren't getting rid of technology because the tech was evil, they were doing it because they were, and at that point in their society any use of it would end with the same result. Its like giving a two year old a loaded gun. They were trying to wait until they were 30, instead. At that age you would be at least somewhat less likely to blow your own head off.

The BSG hate is so strong it warps reality, apparently. The message isn't even close to the same as "All AIs are fundamental evil, fleshy bits good, metal bits bad!"

Raynaga on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Yeah, any good movie would have easily outdone Night at the Museum 2.
    This one is also a PG-13 which is almost as bad as BEING Night at the Museum 2. So its audience isnt exactly small.

Yes, because movie sales are always based on an objective scale of quality. This message brought to you the International No Fucking Clue Association.

Tube on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, any good movie would have easily outdone Night at the Museum 2.
    This one is also a PG-13 which is almost as bad as BEING Night at the Museum 2. So its audience isnt exactly small.

Yes, because movie sales are always based on an objective scale of quality. This message brought to you the International No Fucking Clue Association.

We have our own t-shirts!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Because, as we all forget, Tube works in every possible form of career available to man and knows everything beyond question and is the only person capable of containing such knowledge without imploding like a neutron star.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't take a genius to realize that the movies that make the most money are not necessarily the best movies, or even good movies. And that movies that don't make money aren't necessarily bad

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Because, as we all forget, Tube works in every possible form of career available to man and knows everything beyond question and is the only person capable of containing such knowledge without imploding like a neutron star.

Or perhaps I just have a functioning knowledge of economics at the level generally expected of an adult with a fully functioning brain.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Whats wrong with saying that the audeicne for T4 isn't exactly small and is the explicit point of aiming for a PG-13?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Your mistake is making the false connection between the quality of a move and its box office takings.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not really, stuff that is truly crap will fail, others, designed to please the masses despite crappiness such as NatM2 will succeed. Crapness is not a certain failure as long as its designed to hit lowest common denominator.

Terminator thought it could just ride the franchise. Most of its money is due only to the better 2 films in the series.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Once again Tube assumes parents in the United States actually look at the ratings of a movie

protip: they don't, as evidenced by the 50 <10 year old kids kids at a dark night showing I went to

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But its Batman! Of course its for kids.

And it features the Joker!

Hes like a clown, its even more for kids.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Once again Tube assumes parents in the United States actually look at the ratings of a movie

protip: they don't, as evidenced by the 50 <10 year old kids kids at a dark night showing I went to

That has literally nothing to do with my statement.

Tube on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

That has literally nothing to do with my statement.

Quality had nothing to do with my statement on NATM either, it was a solid kids movie. It just had almost zero marketing behind it. Whereas they've spent millions on Terminator.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You said that "any good movie would outperform NATM" which, incidentally is a big budget sequel to a smash hit movie with one of the world's most bankable stars in the lead role. This is a direct statement to the effect that the quality of the movie is correlated with its level of success. If that's not what you intended to say that's fine, but it's what you did say and you should choose your words more carefully in the future. In any event the original point made was that T4 opening second to NATM 2 is not a disaster because NATM 2 is the sequel to (surprise) NATM 1 which was an enormously fucking succesful film.

Tube on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I just started watching Deadwood and thought Jack McCall looked damned familiar... turns out he's also the Beast Wizard! I'm glad to have caught that early on. It'll make watching Deadwood even more enjoyable.

Season 2 will be even more enjoyable when you see who is playing another character...

Haha! :^:

I wonder how many different instances he's payed two different characters in the same series?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

edit - Heck, its like they recorded the ending monologue after watching the finale of battlestar galactica! "All AIs are fundamental evil, fleshy bits good, metal bits bad!"

I don't see whats so absurd, they both said the exact same thing, and they were both just as stupid. When two SF properties use the same absurd statement in close proximity I think its worthy of comment.

I keep finding that the reason people disliked the BSG ending is because they didn't understand it.

That was not the point. Humans playing God, and not understanding the ramifications of doing such is the problem. Did you miss the part where Humans and Cylons move in together, and they let the centurions fly off on their own?

Anyway, as a big fan of both the first 2 films, and the series, I have to say I am not excited to spend $20.00 to go see this.

southwick on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I fully understand it, I just thought it was very heavy-handed, preachy, full of plot holes and characters not behaving like they did during most of the series.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    southwick wrote: »

I keep finding that the reason people disliked the BSG ending is because they didn't understand it.

That was not the point. Humans playing God, and not understanding the ramifications of doing such is the problem. Did you miss the part where Humans and Cylons move in together, and they let the centurions fly off on their own?

Anyway, as a big fan of both the first 2 films, and the series, I have to say I am not excited to spend $20.00 to go see this.

I already wrote a fairly lengthy post responding to how that was not at all what the ending was saying. The guy never responded. Don't bother.

EDIT: Also, I don't think that everyone who didn't like the finale "didn't understand it." But I do think anyone saying that its statement was "All AIs are fundamental evil, fleshy bits good, metal bits bad!" didn't.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ok, so apologies for the rather large necro bump but I have my reasons.

So I first really heard about Sarah Connor Chronicles about 3 weeks ago, and got around to finishing off the entire 2 seasons in about 3 or 4 days and have just watched the last episode now, not 5 minutes ago.

I need to vent, because none of my friends have seen it and the 1 that has seen some of it is only at Season 1.

So here goes.

Spoilered for, erm, apparent reasons.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH FOX I HATE YOU SO MUCH JESUS CHRIST WHY WOULD YOU LET IT END LIKE THIS YOU FUCKING FUCKERS GOD I HATE YOU FIRST FIREFLY AND NOW THIS FUCK FUCK FUCK

WHY DO YOU GET SO MANY GOOD SHOWS AND THEN BEND THEM OVER AND RUTHLESSLY FUCK THEM IN THE ARSE (SANS LUBE)

* THE WRATH OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS *

God I hope this gets picked up again at some point in the future, I mean it's not completely unlikely is it? It ended on a cliff-hanger so I mean it's no totally impossible?

Right? Right?

Someone hold me :cry:

P.S.
    The bit where John is naked on top of Cameron and it's all like "she's naked and he's gonna kiss her" was very tantalising

Cristo on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wasn't necessarily all FOX's fault. T:SCC had it's chance right before the writers decided to take a trip down sucky lane with the sarah-is-dreamin-crazy-shit episodes. I even stopped watching for a bit after that. Seriously, all most viewers really wanted was more Cameron and BAG. JC was cool too, but Sarah was way too one-dimensional and railed on a single task to be able to carry entire episodes on her own.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    gigEsmallsgigEsmalls __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Please please, Blue Fairy, bring this show back...

gigEsmalls on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Have any of the more dedicated/crazy fans written up a worthy fan fiction to end the series?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wasn't necessarily all FOX's fault. T:SCC had it's chance right before the writers decided to take a trip down sucky lane with the sarah-is-dreamin-crazy-shit episodes. I even stopped watching for a bit after that. Seriously, all most viewers really wanted was more Cameron and BAG. JC was cool too, but Sarah was way too one-dimensional and railed on a single task to be able to carry entire episodes on her own.

No.

No.

It's fox's fault.

The whole Sarah is dreaming crazy shit lasted, what one episode? That's hardly enough to bring about the demise of an entire show. Not to mention it turned out that shit was real what with the boob implant and everything.

Cristo on