As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terminator: Cancellation of Show Chronicles [nsf56k i guess]

1394041424345»

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wasn't necessarily all FOX's fault. T:SCC had it's chance right before the writers decided to take a trip down sucky lane with the sarah-is-dreamin-crazy-shit episodes. I even stopped watching for a bit after that. Seriously, all most viewers really wanted was more Cameron and BAG. JC was cool too, but Sarah was way too one-dimensional and railed on a single task to be able to carry entire episodes on her own.

no it wasnt, it was because its cheaper to make dollhouse then t:scc, that's the sole reason.

Deaderinred on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The show's ratings dropped considerably during the CRAZY SARAH arc, which lasted e13-16, and never rebounded.

Edit: Yeah, that was following the move to Fridays. But, it and DH were pretty heavily advertised what with the whole Cameron and Dzysfitzlefish "hosting" the monumentous return from the mid-season break for terminator (and premier for DH). I was almost expecting the to make out.

But, why the fuck am I defending FOX?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As much as I liked the show and hate to admit this, SCC totally bagged it and earned its marching papers with a very shitty run during the middle of the second season. It had already done the hard part (i.e., getting people to tune in), and then the show blew the goodwill the first season and its awesome finale bestowed on it by introducing the pointless Riley/Jesse bullshit roundabout and the handful of episodes where Sarah chases dots on the wall that she thinks are meaningful.

This show got its initial interest from people watching Cameron break shit and from Derek and John blowing fuckers up. Cameron is virtually absent from Season 2, so is Derek, and John just mopes and groans about not wanting his destiny and how much of a bitch Riley was being.

I wish there was a season three to this show, but it got what it asked for with its poor planning and writing.

Atomika on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Based from the Season 2 finale, Season 3 would have been absolutely immense.

But then again, it's not too long since it was cancelled (it aired it's last episode this year, no?) so it's not implausible that it's picked up again.

Cristo on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cristo wrote: »
    Based from the Season 2 finale, Season 3 would have been absolutely immense.

But then again, it's not too long since it was cancelled (it aired it's last episode this year, no?) so it's not implausible that it's picked up again.

They tore down the sets and stuff.

There was a panel with Thomas Dekker this weekend at FanExpo, the show is not coming back ever. He's telling people to give up on "save the show!" type campaigns because the show is done.

The dude who wrote the thing is trying to get a comic book deal to resolve the plot, since that's what canceled shows do now I guess?

Pony on
    edited August 2009
    Man that fucking sucks dick.

Cristo on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It was also reported around the time of its cancellation that Warner Bros. was so desperate to keep the show going until Terminator:Salvation came out that it greatly slashed its licensing fee to Fox. It's arguably the only reason the show even got the back 9 for Season 2.

While the Friday night slot was the final nail in the coffin, the show was on borrowed time ever since its weak ratings in the Monday slot when it came back for Season 2.

Captain Tragedy on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2009
    It wasn't necessarily all FOX's fault. T:SCC had it's chance right before the writers decided to take a trip down sucky lane with the sarah-is-dreamin-crazy-shit episodes. I even stopped watching for a bit after that. Seriously, all most viewers really wanted was more Cameron and BAG. JC was cool too, but Sarah was way too one-dimensional and railed on a single task to be able to carry entire episodes on her own.

No.

No.

It's fox's fault.

The whole Sarah is dreaming crazy shit lasted, what one episode? That's hardly enough to bring about the demise of an entire show. Not to mention it turned out that shit was real what with the boob implant and everything.

It's not Fox's fault. The show was unsuccesful, so it got canceled. Grow up.

Tube on
    edited August 2009
    People gave up on it far too quickly.

As some people have stated here, they quit the show because of a couple of bad episodes in the middle. Guess what? Sometimes episodes in a show suck, that's a reason to give it up.

It's annoying because the last episodes were so good, especially the finale. And I don't know what growing up has to do with anything.

Cristo on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Networks do not give shows the chance anymore to air bad episodes. SCC had a bunch.

The days where a show like Star Trek: TNG could go on to have seven seasons, even though the first two seasons had horrible slumps, are long gone.

Shens on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seriously? The first episode should have been Sarah being shot in the head by Cromartie. Cameron saves JC from a similar fate. Bring in BAG to act as the parental figure, yet way cooler than Sarah. Show lasts for 5 seasons at least.

The show SHOULD have been the John Connor Chronicles, not Sarah Yes, Sarah is awesome because she's a "strong female character" blah blah blah. But we don't care about mommy, regardless of her MILF status.

VoodooV on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Or maybe people actually wanted to watch something interesting instead of those episodes.

Experimental postmodern bullshit is to be done after a show is well established.

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Or maybe people actually wanted to watch something interesting instead of those episodes.

Experimental postmodern bullshit is to be done after a show is well established.
    And yet Lost is going on it's 6th season. I've pissed on rocks that were less dense than this show and yet people continue to watch it.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Look, I liked this show and it had some good episodes later in the second season, but it was crap and deserved to get canned.

That streak everyone is talking about in early-mid season 2, the "crazy sarah" episodes; they very nearly made me stop watching the show at all. I missed 2-3 episodes after that, only picking it up at the end. If they put out better episodes my opinion would be different.

Now, if they do some good comics to finalize the storyline that would be cool. I might check that out.

Al_wat on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish they would give us a dvd movie to wrap it up, but it's doubtful that will happen

override367 on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah override, that would be a nice way to wrap things up. Very much like Serenity did with Firefly and all of those Stargate movies (although, the Stargate movies weren't really needed to finish off the storyline).

But I am however surprised to see how quickly people give up on a show, shit. You guys must have the attention span of goldfish, you don't give up on a show with so much potential after a crappy episode or 2.

I can't name any shows that don't have a couple of episodes somewhere in the middle that aren't as good as the rest.

Cristo on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah override, that would be a nice way to wrap things up. Very much like Serenity did with Firefly and all of those Stargate movies (although, the Stargate movies weren't really needed to finish off the storyline).

But I am however surprised to see how quickly people give up on a show, shit. You guys must have the attention span of goldfish, you don't give up on a show with so much potential after a crappy episode or 2.

I can't name any shows that don't have a couple of episodes somewhere in the middle that aren't as good as the rest.

It wasn't just "an episode or two," guy. It was the entire arc of the mid-season run. Show some objectivity.

Atomika on
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I, too, got sick of the show during the crazy Sarah arc. Only kept watching because Hulu just made it that easy to do.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited September 2009
    It was sad too, cuz there were interesting things going on in the B & C plots during the Crazy Sarah arc, especially with John Henry. And the end was so awesome... JC in the future and, after all this talk of destiny, finds out humanity goes on fighting without him. If it wasn't for me wanting to know what's gonna happen with JH and Catherine, it would've been a fitting end to the series.

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited September 2009

It wasn't just "an episode or two," guy. It was the entire arc of the mid-season run. Show some objectivity.

Sorry, "guy", maybe it's just my subconcious ignoring the Crazy Sarah bit because I really don't remember it as being all that horrendously god-awful bad.

Just to let me clear things up, we're talking about the whole "3 dots" thing and not the "kidnapping guard/breast implant" thing yeah?

Cristo on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not your guy buddy

Khavall on
    edited September 2009
    I'm not your buddy bro

Cristo on
    edited September 2009
    Cristo you are the worst person

Khavall on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awful all over.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    edited September 2009
    im siding with Cristo on this, it wasn't that bad.. ridiculous kyle facial hair aside.

also you too can look hot in dereks coat.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/reese-field-jacket-casual-p-300.html (awesome site if you're rich)

Deaderinred on
    edited September 2009
    I was mostly calling him awful on completely misquoting the I'm not your guy buddy cycle

Khavall on
    edited September 2009
    I'm sorry I don't have South Park memorised

:cry:

Cristo on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    im siding with Cristo on this, it wasn't that bad.. ridiculous kyle facial hair aside.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/reese-field-jacket-casual-p-300.html (awesome site if you're rich)
    I totally wanna give my Champions Online character the Howard Hughes jacket.

GungHo on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Or pay 1/8 of the price for a real one:

http://m65fieldjacket.com/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/42

Yall on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I said it somewhere earlier in the thread but it always struck me as odd that SCC never had a good car chase scene. All the Terminator movies have spectacular car chases and they were noticeably absent from the TV series. I'd say it was a budget issue but then they had episodes with subs and flying saucers and Shirley bot so ... what the hell? Less shootin' and more fancy drivin', please.

emnmnme on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

And yet Lost is going on it's 6th season. I've pissed on rocks that were less dense than this show and yet people continue to watch it.

That's what Lost is built on, though. People tune in to SCC and Lost with completely different expectations.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited September 2009
    There's no way in hell I understand why Heroes is in its 5th season for that matter, either.

I've been following both series, and I barely know what's going on.

Cristo on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Bear in mind, Cristo, that you got to blow through all of SCC in an afternoon while most of us had to wait a week in between episodes. And consider the show returned from midseason hiatus with a weak start, it was real easy to lose interest in something that had barely been back.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yall wrote: »

Those people are crazy expensive....

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/adventure-jacket-by-magnoli-clothiers-custom-made-leather-jackets-p-109.html

$450 for an Indiana Jones knock off jacket? Why not get an original?

http://www.wested.com/last-crusadecrystal-skull-jacket-washed-goat-178-p.asp

Even after the import fees you're still only looking at about 300 dollars or so... And you're getting it from the company that made the original... Hell, those other people have other expensive knock offs that these guys are selling cheaper....

I got my Raiders jacket from them... Though the price appears to have gone down....

http://www.wested.com/raiders-of-lost-ark-jacket-authentic-lamb-103-p.asp

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
    edited September 2009
    Yall wrote: »

its not the same! :?

Deaderinred on
    edited September 2009
    Bear in mind, Cristo, that you got to blow through all of SCC in an afternoon while most of us had to wait a week in between episodes. And consider the show returned from midseason hiatus with a weak start, it was real easy to lose interest in something that had barely been back.

This... this is true.

I can completely understand that, because it's happened to me too. I think a mid-season hiatus has killed off many shows and will kill off many a show in the future, especially if there's already a lull in the storyline. Which is very unfortunate.

Cristo on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah the show needed to come back with an exciting arc after the (interminable) hiatus.

valiance on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember after that string of episodes aired, Josh Friedman posted a blog (I think someone put it in this thread at the time) that was like: "These were the type of episodes I wanted to do. If it gets the show canceled, so be it!"

...Yeah.

Captain Tragedy on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This show had an amazing score.

electricitylikesme on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This show had an amazing score.

Of course it did, Bear McCreary wrote it

Salvation122 on