As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name this game thread

124»

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It wasn't Spectre VR was it? That's the first 3dish tank game I remember playing way back when.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    Here's one that I thought I'd have been able to find with a google search, but has turned up nothing.

I remember this demo of a sort of tank sim game you played that was from the earlier days of glide/direct 3d/openGL in the mid to late nineties. The worlds were pretty big and the surface was glaringly polygonal. I think the basic gist of the story was you had one country vs another country waging some sort of war. The tanks were all solid colors I think and were pretty basic looking, but I thought it had some basic flat shading on the tanks and a simple lighting system. I recall seeing them playing this game on the home shopping network (yeah I know) when they were hocking a pentium 2 machine priced at some outrageous sum of $1300 or something. I want to say that your tank, and the other tanks, could hover and that the game had virtually no textures at all. It was a PC game (maybe out on consoles, but I doubt it and am not sure that it was very popular).

I'll have to post in here if I have more questions. Some of the stuff posted in here took me back a bit.

I'm very sure I know what game you're talking about, but I'm not at home at the moment and can't remember the title. I'll check in later if I can find the CD.

Ah-Ha! Stellar 7?
    nlawalker wrote:

Thanks!
    That jogged his memory.

Tamin on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Here's one that I thought I'd have been able to find with a google search, but has turned up nothing.

I remember this demo of a sort of tank sim game you played that was from the earlier days of glide/direct 3d/openGL in the mid to late nineties. The worlds were pretty big and the surface was glaringly polygonal. I think the basic gist of the story was you had one country vs another country waging some sort of war. The tanks were all solid colors I think and were pretty basic looking, but I thought it had some basic flat shading on the tanks and a simple lighting system. I recall seeing them playing this game on the home shopping network (yeah I know) when they were hocking a pentium 2 machine priced at some outrageous sum of $1300 or something. I want to say that your tank, and the other tanks, could hover and that the game had virtually no textures at all. It was a PC game (maybe out on consoles, but I doubt it and am not sure that it was very popular).

I'll have to post in here if I have more questions. Some of the stuff posted in here took me back a bit.

Scorched Planet? I know it came with my Mystique card back in the day.

Hah, it's a Criterion game. Imagine that.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah, both aren't quite right. This game was a generation or two ahead of stellar 7 and spectre VR. I mean it had 3D terrain that you drove through that was actually fairly decent looking (think Tribes without textures, or maybe they were just godawful). It's not scorched planet either, but that look is a lot closer. It was like that but it ran in glide/open GL/direct3d and there weren't any textures and the UI was simplified more than that.

I also realize I'm talking about a great many games by saying "crappy looking early-gen tank game" but bear with me, haha.

Mindstorm on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This should be pretty easy.

I remember playing a game on a PS2 set up at GameStop back when it was still fairly new. It was an RPG, maybe action/RPG, where the main boy went into people's dreams and solved their problems. I seem to remember their being big sleep bubbles you went into, weird stuff happening in the dreams, and maybe a helper that followed you around and explained things.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm thinking Little Nemo or a Kirby game, but you say PS2 and the ones I'm thinking of were in Nintendo systems.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    This should be pretty easy.

I remember playing a game on a PS2 set up at GameStop back when it was still fairly new. It was an RPG, maybe action/RPG, where the main boy went into people's dreams and solved their problems. I seem to remember their being big sleep bubbles you went into, weird stuff happening in the dreams, and maybe a helper that followed you around and explained things.

Final Fantasy X. :P

Or Dual Hearts. Either/or.

Aroduc on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I was searching and ran into that as well. While looking up Alundra, actually, which has a similar premise. Told you it would be easy!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There was this NES game that looked like anime hockey.

Starts out Juniors vs Seniors, then you face samurais and you can switch to their costumes to use against other teams.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    There was this NES game that looked like anime hockey.

Starts out Juniors vs Seniors, then you face samurais and you can switch to their costumes to use against other teams.

Shot in the dark, but that sounds like Ike! Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-Bu: Koronde Subette Dairantou. (I think it was released outside Japan as "Technos Ice Hockey", but the original name is so much better.)

Here's a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzNFegz0uao

Billmaan on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    I still find it funny how the localization of the Kunio/Nekketsu (guy and school names respectively) completely stripped out every single hint of continuity or connection between the games. They were massively reusing sprites for a reason.

Well, aside from it being really cheap.

Aroduc on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Billmaan that is it!!! Awesome thank you.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Something that just popped into my mind that has occasionally bugged me for years.

It was an Apple IIe game called something like Pog, or Peng, or something like that. You were this squat little penguin thing with a gun and a jetpack. There were multiple levels on the screen and you could fly through the floor up or down at certain places to get to the other floors (or just hover against the ceiling). I also remember that the enemies or obstacles or whatever they were were arranged on the three possible planes on each particular floor. On the ground, in the air, or in the middle that you had to shoot as you went up or down. Enemies would just wander in and out from off the side of the screen via pipes or something kind of like the original Mario Bros. I also remember there was a boy with a balloon that you could shoot, but I forget what it did.

I don't really remember what the point of the game was, but I want to say that you had to collect a certain thing on each of the floors to clear the level, one of which I think was the kid with the balloon, but I'm really not sure about that.

Aroduc on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Something that just popped into my mind that has occasionally bugged me for years.

It was an Apple IIe game called something like Pog, or Peng, or something like that. You were this squat little penguin thing with a gun and a jetpack. There were multiple levels on the screen and you could fly through the floor up or down at certain places to get to the other floors (or just hover against the ceiling).

Do flying axes and carnivorous plants ring a bell? Because I'm pretty sure you're taking about Drol.

baudattitude on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009

It was an Apple IIe game called something like Pog, or Peng, or something like that. You were this squat little penguin thing with a gun and a jetpack. There were multiple levels on the screen and you could fly through the floor up or down at certain places to get to the other floors (or just hover against the ceiling).

Do flying axes and carnivorous plants ring a bell? Because I'm pretty sure you're taking about Drol.

They didn't, but that's definitely it. Thanks.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rxjj_c64-drol_videogames

I wonder why the Apple IIe version is blueshifted from that.

Aroduc on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

They didn't, but that's definitely it. Thanks.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rxjj_c64-drol_videogames

I wonder why the Apple IIe version is blueshifted from that.

That game kinda reminds me of SonSon.

slash000 on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm trying to remember this PC game series, and I can't. There's a ton of them and I played the hell out of one of them, but I can't remember what it is. It was a fantasy game and you'd build towns and raise armies and the battle systems took place on a battleground with the enemy units facing each other and you'd move your griffins and whatnot. It's on the tip of my tongue, dammit. There were a number of different factions.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm trying to remember this PC game series, and I can't. There's a ton of them and I played the hell out of one of them, but I can't remember what it is. It was a fantasy game and you'd build towns and raise armies and the battle systems took place on a battleground with the enemy units facing each other and you'd move your griffins and whatnot. It's on the tip of my tongue, dammit. There were a number of different factions.

Heros of Might and Magic series.

Phoenix-D on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I was going to say that or Warlords, but I don't think you get to build towns in either of those. Master of Magic would be my next guess, but that's just the one game and not a series.

Orogogus on
  • ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

lolwarcraft?
    or Lords of the Realm, which didnt have griffins as I recall... pretty vague imo. The "battleground," was it top-down like most RTS games, or was it more along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics with tiles and movement costs and such?

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah, both aren't quite right. This game was a generation or two ahead of stellar 7 and spectre VR. I mean it had 3D terrain that you drove through that was actually fairly decent looking (think Tribes without textures, or maybe they were just godawful). It's not scorched planet either, but that look is a lot closer. It was like that but it ran in glide/open GL/direct3d and there weren't any textures and the UI was simplified more than that.

I also realize I'm talking about a great many games by saying "crappy looking early-gen tank game" but bear with me, haha.

Hmm.... Hover? Some images: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=windows%2095%20hover&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Daenris on
  • MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the reply but it wasn't that either. I think it was a B-rate title from some developer who imploded shortly after releasing this game. It would have to have been, given that it was being used to promote the sale of a crappy computer on HSN and that I can't remember any distinguishing features about the game besides the fact that it was a mediocre-cool tank game.

Mindstorm on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the reply but it wasn't that either. I think it was a B-rate title from some developer who imploded shortly after releasing this game. It would have to have been, given that it was being used to promote the sale of a crappy computer on HSN and that I can't remember any distinguishing features about the game besides the fact that it was a mediocre-cool tank game.
    I bought a Compaq Presario in 1998 that had, as its bundled demo software, a game called "Incoming", which had hover tank missions (and turret defense missions). Long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if Compaqs were sold on HSN.

baudattitude on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Yessssssssss. This is it! This screenshot jogs tons of memories.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Tooter-FishTooter-Fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This was a PC game probably from the mid nineties close to around when the movie Hackers was out. It was a CD-ROM game that had real crappy FMV. Anyway, you were a cyberpunk/hacker or something and had to solve a mystery with a bunch of point and click puzzles. Arf, looking at that, there's not much to work with.

Edit: doing some googling on my own it seems it was called Burn:Cycle
    http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/cyberpunk-games/burncycle/

Tooter-Fish on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not either of the Shivers games, right? I mean, you said hacker so it doesn't quite fit, but then you also don't have much else to go on.

EDIT:
    Definitely not Shivers, then...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damn, reading this thread has brought back a lot of memories for me! It's also reminded me of an old game of my own that I can't remember.

I played it on my old Apple II C+ computer way back when I was a kid, so we're talking late 80's or so for a time frame. The game started you on an island with a few towns and a handful of followers. As you wandered around you would have random encounters with other groups; sometimes they'd join you or sometimes they'd fight you. As far as I remember, the goal was to earn enough money to buy a ship and get off of the island, at which point you were brought to a bigger map with 4-5 other islands on it. My game always crashed when I tried to land on one of the other islands, but I think one of them had an evil wizard or something that you would have to fight to beat the game. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

mjn6172 on
    LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty sure that's King's Bounty, predecessor to Heroes of Might and Magic. Just got a remake last year, too.

Orogogus on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There was a thread on the forums about an RPG a while back. I think it was German in origin, but I might just be getting that confused with something else. All I know is that it's on the PC, is not Drakensang or the Gothic games, and came out within the last year (likely) or two (not as likely).

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    There was a thread on the forums about an RPG a while back. I think it was German in origin, but I might just be getting that confused with something else. All I know is that it's on the PC, is not Drakensang or the Gothic games, and came out within the last year (likely) or two (not as likely).

is it Risen? the threads on the front page at the moment, i guess it got a shitty 360 port or something

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=94410

Ah_Pook on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nope. That would've been too obvious.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wish it was King's Bounty, which really was the best RPG of last year, since a lot of people seem to confuse central european companies with russian ones for some reason. But realistically, it's probably The Witcher.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    The Witcher is Polish.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Hey lets get the ball rolling since there's a game I haven't been able to find ever since I played it.

Its sort of a freeform space/fps hybrid. There's something attacking the galaxy and you need to stop it, there's a space combat mechanic and systems you travel through are connected by nodes you move through. You can walk around your spaceship in FPS mode, you have a glowing sword and the ship has teleporters and various areas with your modules in them. When you defeat enemies in space you can board their ships and steal their modules, like shield gens, targeting system, engines etc. You can also be boarded yourself and have to defend your own modules. The game looked built on the quake engine or similar, the graphics were not great.

I played this maybe 6-7 years ago.

We ever get a solution on this?

RoyceSraphim on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Witcher is Polish.

Yes, but the way he phrased it made it seem like he wasn't sure it was german, and for some reason, a lot of people seem to think the witcher is german.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • irnirn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm trying to figure out the name of this arcade game... it was kind of like Bad dudes but one of the level end bosses was an evil santa... HELP!!!!!!

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis?
    irn wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out the name of this arcade game... it was kind of like Bad dudes but one of the level end bosses was an evil santa... HELP!!!!!!

Two Crude Dudes? I don't remember it having a boss that looked like Santa, but it's been a while.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2XbKBeVSo

Man, now I'd really like to play that game. It was also by Data East. They should make a collection or something.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    The Witcher is Polish.

Yes, but the way he phrased it made it seem like he wasn't sure it was german, and for some reason, a lot of people seem to think the witcher is german.

The way I phrased it. I made the request. :P

Man, if only I could go back further in the thread history. Then it would've been a snap.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Catman SadfluteCatman Sadflute Registered User new member
    well clearly im new to the site but, ive given up searching through the vast inter-web for a specific sega genesis game that im dying to play again and this site and thread seem to be my bet.

it was a military game that when u started out you chose from a selection of vehicles like a tank or a jeep or a helicopter etc. which there was 3 of each type of vehicle, from an underground bunker that then raised to the surface where ur objective was just to annihilate the enemy base and with each passing level the enemy had a more ellaborate base. if ur vehicle got destroyed you had to pick a new one obviously, and so on and so forth till the job was done.

dunno if that was enough of a description to help but i was young, naive, and challenged gravity with my face on a daily basis so my memory is a bit hazy but damn it all if i cant play that game again.