As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer 40,000] ... And I say "Space Wolf? That's my wife!"

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    str 4 on rear armor 10, so yes if you roll enough double taps you can glance him, blow off enough weapons or immobilize him and u can wreck him, ive done it to trukks and such. Or you can assault and crack grenade it.

Or if you're space marines you can just punch it since basic marines are strong enough to rip through a main battle tank, which is the stupidest thing ever to me.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm playing the tiniest violin here, tim.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Or they could just drop frag grenades down the exhaust or whatever, S4 against vehicles isn't hard to do. Even the Tau's fancy light shows can blow up a tank.

Tastyfish on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A heroic 28mm scale violin.

So tiny

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That violin, well it could probably still take out a tank's rear armour. As long as a marine was playing it. That's why you need skimmer tanks, with flechette dischargers.

Tastyfish on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    That violin, well it could probably still take out a tank's rear armour. As long as a marine was playing it. That's why you need skimmer tanks, with flechette dischargers.

mmm flechette dischargers are wonderful

PiptheFair on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yea, its possible for a marine to blow a tank in CC, but you're hitting on 6s and then need 4s to glance, or 5s if its one of the Russes with the 11 rear. Odds aren't too great though, and you have to put yourself out in the open to be hit by whatever cannon the russ has mounted to it, which will most surely kill the marines far easier than needing 4s or 5s :)

At any rate, I thought you were playing your league, because that's the last I heard of you playing your AC. If you were just testing rules, I would have definitely run at you headlong :)

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    So, still kicking around idea's for my skitarii army I plan on creating... I'm thinking having a secutor as a stand in for guardsmen marbo, but I dunno... it would need some 'splaining.

Man, I'm leaning in this direction as well. Mainly after reading Titanicus. Goddamn did he do a good job of making massive skitarii vs evil skitarii combat seem fucking brutal.

What would they be proxied for though?

I've already got a good few idea's down...

Witch hunters(the basic troop choice) = Techpriests in a regular combat role
    Grey Knight Terminators = Mechanicus Terminators
    Marbo = Secutor
    Straken = A combat-oriented magos or other high up with a retinue of skitarii veterans
    Regular guardsmen = basic skitarii with few/no upgrades
    Rough Riders = Cyber mastiff's
    Conscripts = Servo-skulls/Servitors without servo-arms
    Techpriest Enginseer = ...duh

The only thing I can't really figure out is a way to get knights in, as they're just more badass and huge than anything in any of those armies. Possibly a vendetta stand in.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, come to think of it, I've had trukks get immobilized from standard bolter fire (duh), with front armor 10. Also, grot riggers for the win! Get to work you weedy gitz!

So, has anyone had experience playing against an army you also controlled? Sounds like 40k masturbation I know, but I meant, if I wanted to play with my buddy, against my own orks. Does this just sound fucking dumb and unbalanced?

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would think if the Marines made it within 12" or CC of your tank, the game is probably over anyway since they likely wiped everything else out on your side to get to there.

Karilmat on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Good thing we're talking about Guardsman and how much they die! Here is my new army list, now not featuring Witch Hunters until I can get some better models for them.

It's a command squad and two platoons, each platoon commanding 2 IG squads and a vet squad. I plan on, basically, deploying my Company Command behind cover in a Chimera next to my basilisk squad. I think I'll deploy my first platoon with them and hold my second in reserve then wing it; or should I just deploy errything and swarm stuff?

anyway, here it is - feel free to tell me all the rules I've broken and stuff. Also, if someone could explain the chain of command to me; Platoon HQs can relay orders from Company HQs, and then issue their own, right? So a PHQ needs to be within 12" of my Chimera, and then they need to be within 6" of their units to issue orders to them. I gave everybody vox-casters since I plan to use the order system extensively.
    Army List: Criid’s Cadavers 2000 pts

Company Command Squad: 8 Models
    1. Company Commander Criid
    2.Master of Ordnance
    3.Guardsman w/vox Caster
    4.Guardsman w/medkit
    5.Guardsman w/heavy bolter
    6.Guardsman x1
    7. Bodyguard X2
    Dedicated Transport: Chimera
    Dedicated Transport:
    Chimera
    1. Camo Netting
    2. Company Command Squad Attached
    Basilisk Squad: Heavy Support
    Basilisk (140 pts) 180pts
    1. Camo Netting
    2. Heavy Bolter
    Basilisk #2
    1. Camo Netting
    2. Heavy Bolter

Platoon #1 (37 Guardsman)
    Platoon Command Squad #1 (7 Models)
    1.Platoon Commander
    2.Primaris Psyker
    3.Guardsman w/Vox Caster
    4.Guardsman w/Medkit
    5. Guardsman w/ Regimental Standard
    6. Guardsman w/ heavy flamer
    First Squad: Veterans x10
    1. Veteran Sgt. w/pw and bp
    2. Vox-caster
    3.Medi-kit
    4. 1x Rocket Launcher, 1x Sniper, 1x heavy flamer
    Doctrine: Grenadiers. Full Squad: Krak Grenades
    Second Squad: Imperial Guardsman x10
    1. Sgt. w/pw and bp
    2. Vox-caster
    3.Medi-kit
    4. 1x Rocket Launcher, 1x Heavy Flamer, 1x Plasma Rifle
    Third Squad: Imperial Guardsman x10
    1. Sgt w/pw and bp
    2. Vox caster
    3. Medi-kit
    4. 1x Lascannon, 1x Heavy Bolter
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    1. Sponson Mounted Heavy Bolters
    2.Dozer Blade 3. Pintle Mounted Lascannon
    Platoon #2 (36 Guardsman)
    Platoon Command Squad #2 (6 models)
    1.Platoon Commander
    2. Guardsman w/Vox Caster
    3. Guardsman w/Medkit
    5. Guardsman w/ Regimental Standard
    6. Guardsman w/ Plasma Gun
    First Squad: Veteran Guardsman x10
    1. Vet. Sgt. w/ Boltgun
    2. Vox-caster
    3.Medi-kit
    4. 1x Rocket Launcher, 1x Meltagun
    Doctrine: Grenadiers
    Second Squad: Guardsman x10
    1. Sgt. w/ pw and bp
    2. Vox caster
    3. Medi-kit
    4. 2x Snipers
    Third Squad: Guardsman x10
    1. Sgt. w/ pw and bp
    2. Vox caster
    3. Medi-kit
    4. 1x Autocannon, 1x Heavy Flamer
    Hellhound Tank (Fast Attack)
    1. Pintle Mounted Heavy Stubber
    2. Smoke Launchers

Independent Units and Elites
    Rough Riders Squad (3 models)
    1. RR Sgt. w/ plasma pistol
    2. 2x RR
    Scout Sentinel Squad
    1. 1 Scout Sentinel w/ heavy Flamer
    Ratling Sniper Squad
    1. 5x Ratling Snipers
    Tech-Priest
    1. Techpriest Enginseer (deploy w/Basilisk Squad)

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So uh.... I found two sentinels I haven't assembled yet, one of which is still in its shrink-wrap.:oops: So question time. As I sit here contemplating the building of Commissar Nisely's Mount, how do you all think I should show the commissar himself?

So far I have two options. A) Get another of the old metal commissar with the axe and cut him down to fit as he's the model I've used for both the foot and Vanquisher versions of Nisely, or B) Use a combination of parts from the command squad with the assumption that Nisely's got a commissar version of the sentinel jumpsuits to use since a greatcoat really would be uncomfortable while sitting in a sentinel for a few hours.

*Edit* I just decided on option B. Going to be making a plastic commissar standing in the cockpit waving his sword and pistol. I'm going to have to redo Captain Ein like this as well but carry a swagger stick and cigar.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's times like this that I'm glad I just stay buttoned up in my tank.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2009
    It's times like this that I'm glad I just stay buttoned up in my tank.

As it is I'm going to go back to the sentinels with the open cockpits and use the extra armor parts I didn't use from the enclosed sentinels to give them a bit more armor. The only ones with exposed pilots after that will be Ein, Nisely, and 'Wildcat' Garvel who pilots the Elysian Pattern drop sentinel. Those three will form the Command Squadron for the sentinel company with the three line squadrons being made up of two squadrons of Cadian pattern and one squadron of Armageddon pattern.

Oh shit, Thewarstore has sentinel bits for really cheap. I may just pick up enough spare lascannons to give everyone one so I can field that awesome sentinel Apoc list. Those and Flamers :winky:

Librarian's ghost on

edited August 2009
    You should add extra armor on Nax's sentinel that is a scavenged armor plate from a Baal Predator, with the BA chapter icon on it:winky:

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
    edited August 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    You should add extra armor on Nax's sentinel that is a scavenged armor plate from a Baal Predator, with the BA chapter icon on it:winky:

Done.

Also I just found this, written quite a while ago in response to me removing the extra armor to save points,
    Lieutenant Ansahok watched in dismay as the servitors slowly but steadily removed the armored plates protecting his cockpit.

"Hey! Stop! What're you doing?"
    The techpriest in charge rushed up to him, signalling to the servitors to stay about their business.
    "We're removing the extra armor from your sentinel. Recent command from the general."
    "But why? It makes no sense! That's there to stop me from dying!"
    "Apparently they're using the metal to pay the salaries of some ratlings they're bringing in."
    "Whaaaa?"
    "Hey, don't complain to me. And you got off easy. At least you didn't have your armaments downgraded like the officers did."

To which I reply.

Lieutenant Ansahok stood in shock in the door way of the regiment’s Sentinel stables. Before him servitors were busy attaching a mostly enclosed cockpit cover to his own sentinel and those of his squadron mates. “What the frak is going on?”

“The colonel is tired of looking at your ugly mug Hats,” came a reply from Warrant Officer Dawes who lounged lazily against a shipping crate while reading some from of graphic novel with lots of Titans on the cover.

“They finally get rid of those ratlings or something?” Ansahok wondered aloud.
    “Ratlings?”
    “Before your time kid.”

Librarian's ghost on

• Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yea, its possible for a marine to blow a tank in CC, but you're hitting on 6s and then need 4s to glance, or 5s if its one of the Russes with the 11 rear. Odds aren't too great though, and you have to put yourself out in the open to be hit by whatever cannon the russ has mounted to it, which will most surely kill the marines far easier than needing 4s or 5s :)

At any rate, I thought you were playing your league, because that's the last I heard of you playing your AC. If you were just testing rules, I would have definitely run at you headlong :)

if it doesnt move then your hitting auto! or if it moved 6 your hittin on 4's so its a decent chance.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
    edited August 2009

Done.

Also I just found this, written quite a while ago in response to me removing the extra armor to save points,
    Lieutenant Ansahok watched in dismay as the servitors slowly but steadily removed the armored plates protecting his cockpit.

The techpriest in charge rushed up to him, signalling to the servitors to stay about their business.
    "We're removing the extra armor from your sentinel. Recent command from the general."
    "Apparently they're using the metal to pay the salaries of some ratlings they're bringing in."
    "Whaaaa?"
    "Hey, don't complain to me. And you got off easy. At least you didn't have your armaments downgraded like the officers did."

To which I reply.

Lieutenant Ansahok stood in shock in the door way of the regiment’s Sentinel stables. Before him servitors were busy attaching a mostly enclosed cockpit cover to his own sentinel and those of his squadron mates. “What the frak is going on?”

“The colonel is tired of looking at your ugly mug Hats,” came a reply from Warrant Officer Dawes who lounged lazily against a shipping crate while reading some from of graphic novel with lots of Titans on the cover.

“Ratlings?”
    “Before your time kid.”

Everything in this post is WIN

@Scurvy: I was using Krak grenades in my example :P

Nax on
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hate Space Marines.

Why do they consistently get new units (all made out of plastic now too! Have swappable and posable body parts and interchangable fluff why don't you! As if you AREN'T over-represented enough!) whilst my beloved Eldar are stuck with crappy metal Aspects and leaders?

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!

Dire Avengers are the way forward for the Eldar miniature range as far as i'm concerned.

But no, we get stuck with crap like this:
    This is not acceptable after this many years!
    pfff.jpg

Euphoriac on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure why metal models are inherently worse than plastic, outside of the conversion factor that most players will never utilize ever.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Plastic models means more poses and options... More options means the unit looks a lot more interesting, and has a character all its own

Nax on
    edited August 2009
    It's just the fact they they're posed the same. I can't stand it and Warp Spiders are the best example of a near-impossible-unless-you're-a-freaking-conversion-god set of models.

At least; if they're going to keep doing metal versions...can we have new models please? It's been years!

Euphoriac on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure why metal models are inherently worse than plastic, outside of the conversion factor that most players will never utilize ever.
    Not metal so much as mono-pose. Those are technically five different models in that pic rather than four copies of one and one of another...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited August 2009

Done.

"Whaaaa?"

To which I reply.

“Ratlings?”
    “Before your time kid.”

Everything in this post is WIN

@Scurvy: I was using Krak grenades in my example :P

I find that I keep using Dawes a lot in narratives. I guess I just find it amusing that he's the only one that's not a commissioned officer (He's actually the only WO in the whole regiment thanks to the merge.)

Librarian's ghost on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Space Hulk GET!

Man, this thing is beautiful. And really heavy. I tried to pick up the box on my doorstop one-handed and almost failed. :P

*edit*
    I just picked up one of the cardboard tunnel pieces, and the sheet is so well cut they practically fell right out of the sprue. Also, when I read the 1/12 in the corner, I started cackling.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Plastic models means more poses and options... More options means the unit looks a lot more interesting, and has a character all its own

All those plastic poses generally end up looking the same as they would if there were 4-5 metal sculpts. Look at the plastic cadians, those aren't interesting or characterful poses at all. Even models like Dire Avengers have the same basic two-handed gun pose with little variation. Only troops using pistols and ccws have the option for various poses, and even then there's only so much you can do with the basic arms. How many ways can you pose a sword and a bolt pistol using the arms given and have it look fresh?

Please note that I don't believe metal is better than plastic or vice versa, it just bugs me when I read people pitting one medium against the other.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Space Hulk GET!

Man, this thing is beautiful. And really heavy. I tried to pick up the box on my doorstop one-handed and almost failed. :P

*edit*
    I just picked up one of the cardboard tunnel pieces, and the sheet is so well cut they practically fell right out of the sprue. Also, when I read the 1/12 in the corner, I started cackling.

I can only hope my order is still going through. The website still says "dispatched" and I ordered it in the morning of the 17th.

Librarian's ghost on

edited August 2009
    Look man, i just want new Aspect models more than anything at this point. Metal, plastic, hell even stone and wood would do!

Euphoriac on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Look man, i just want new Aspect models more than anything at this point. Metal, plastic, hell even stone and wood would do!

Add some heart and we have a different aspect!

Brainleech on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But no, we get stuck with crap like this:
    This is not acceptable after this many years!
    pfff.jpg

Huh? What's wrong with those? Those look great to me.

TheBog on
  • UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I find that I keep using Dawes a lot in narratives. I guess I just find it amusing that he's the only one that's not a commissioned officer (He's actually the only WO in the whole regiment thanks to the merge.)

I figured Cocytan regiments aren't very top heavy, and officers tend to wear multiple hats. My Company Commander, Captain Riennes, is also the platoon commander for my vets. I based their command structure off of Republican militias during the Spanish Civil War, so all of my officers are elected. Respected soldiers become officers, and not the other way around. As the lowest man on the totem pole around people who think rank actually means something, Daws would probably feel kind of shat on.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Guess you'll have to wait for a new codex, just like everyone else.

e: and does anyone have any info on what I asked about earlier with DH?

SJ on
    edited August 2009

I figured Cocytan regiments aren't very top heavy, and officers tend to wear multiple hats. My Company Commander, Captain Riennes, is also the platoon commander for my vets. I based their command structure off of Republican militias during the Spanish Civil War, so all of my officers are elected. Respected soldiers become officers, and not the other way around. As the lowest man on the totem pole around people who think rank actually means something, Daws would probably feel kind of shat on.

Besides the fact that all the Sentinel officers in the regiment are dashing, seat of their pants, Han Solo bad-asses, Dawes probably feels awkward around them since I feel he's more of a no nonsense soldier. I'll probably promote him to a Lt at some point when he kills a few more Dreadnoughts.
    :P
    (Is it Daws or Dawes? I don't have my roster on me...)

Librarian's ghost on

• UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I prefer "Daws" since I have a super unimaginative corvid theme going as an homage to my long-gone Raven Guard, but who knows how your people transliterate his name. I kind of imagined that the low gothic was about as stable as english before moveable type.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Space Hulk GET!

*edit*

I can only hope my order is still going through. The website still says "dispatched" and I ordered it in the morning of the 17th.

I ordered mine on the 18th and I am still waiting but then I also got the mail theft warning today

Brainleech on
    edited August 2009

All those plastic poses generally end up looking the same as they would if there were 4-5 metal sculpts.

I dunno about your models, but I can go into my bag right now and pull out three full squads of marines that all have different poses and options, and each looks distinctly different from the others

Nax on
    edited August 2009
    I prefer "Daws" since I have a super unimaginative corvid theme going as an homage to my long-gone Raven Guard, but who knows how your people transliterate his name. I kind of imagined that the low gothic was about as stable as english before moveable type.

I don't even know why that 'e' is there considering I pronounce it like you wrote it.

Librarian's ghost on

edited August 2009
    Damn it! I want to play Space Hulk right now so bad! Why don't I have any friends!?!

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited August 2009
    Damn it! I want to play Space Hulk right now so bad! Why don't I have any friends!?!

Play it with imaginary friends! Just cut out a picture of my avatar and stick it to a chair, then rock and roll.

Librarian's ghost on

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Space Hulk GET!

*edit*

If you don't mind me askin' When did you order yours? I'm in the same boat as tim, i ordered mine on the 19th and was wondering if i should be giddy about heading home today or not :)

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png