As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• SigmundSigmund Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just a heads up, the Warhammer Mini is almost over, Its been an awesome experience. However I think I am going to play in some more Phallas before I attempt to undertake another. Will post again when we finish, but it should be tomorrow night or the next.

Sigmund on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If some one wants to make a Phalla of the Dead pic and PM it to me, that would be cool.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2009
    horray for the triumphant return of Bandwagon

Unknown User on
  • SigmundSigmund Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well the Warhammer Phalla has just finished! It was great!

Sigmund on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I need one person to jump in Marvel Phalla! We ran out of reserves!

samurai6966 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm considering maybe running a mini during the traditional PAX dead zone.

Possibly a sequel to robothero's silence of the phalla, only with a secret theme.

It would likely also sate the desires for a vanilla game. Four(five?) mafia, seer, guardian, vigilante, masons(two?), etc. Twenty players.

No, nothing psycho like death millers or reverse seers. Nice and simple. I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you could post signups between 7PM EDT and 2AM EDT that would be amazing. I can't surf the interwebs at work and it tends to make it really difficult to get into minis.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I need one person to jump in Marvel Phalla! We ran out of reserves!

Throw me a role if you still need a reserve

I want to shout at some people

Gumpy on
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My Calculadon Phalla is nearing completion:
    calcfactions.jpg

Since I am not sure when the sign-ups will go after I let Bandwagon know I am done, I will take limited pre-regs by PM. I would hate for people interested to miss out.

Lady Eri on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, once we got a few days going on Phalla of the Dead kime and I will be ready to go for our Barkley Gaiden mini.

It will be good and awesome.

Dac Vin on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also aiming to begin mystery themed no-posts-but-votes mini around that time, depending on the breaks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2009
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    calcfactions.jpg

Since I am not sure when the sign-ups will go after I let Bandwagon know I am done, I will take limited pre-regs by PM. I would hate for people interested to miss out.

Question

Will this game get to day 2

Gumpy on
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    calcfactions.jpg

Question

No guarantees, except that it will have better narration than a Fencingsax Phalla.

Lady Eri on
    edited September 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    calcfactions.jpg

Question

No guarantees, except that it will have better narration than a Fencingsax Phalla.

Sold!

Gumpy on
  • Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm putting the finishing polish on my two-part newbie mini.

Phase one will be a vanilla mini set before the Battle of Plataea between the allied Greek city-states and the Persian Empire. It will be set in the Greek encampment as they get ready for the battle, and the Greeks (village) will have to flush out Persian spies (mafia). It will be called Phallanx.

Right now I have it balanced to work as either a 20, 25 or 30 person game. I will start at 20. If demand grows, I will expand the game.

Phase two will follow the Battle of Plataea and will involve as many odd mechanics as I can feasibly include.

I could theoretically open signups this weekend, with the game to begin on Monday (if given the go-ahead from Toxic Toys). Otherwise I would look at waiting until next Friday, September 11 as the opening of the thread, with signups to continue throughout the weekend, and the game to begin on September 14. Thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

My requests:

1. Could vets please contact me via PM with suggested mechanics you would like me to include in the second (crazy) phase of the mini?

2. What do you propose as a participation cut-off? At this point I see a fair number of players who are already fairly active but could probably still benefit from playing in a structured newbie mini. I am personally in favor of allowing anyone to sign up and simply allocating slots to those with the fewest games played and continuing until it is full. Thoughts?

3. If you are a new player and do not want to miss out, PM me and I will send you a reminder when signups are open. Please include the number of games you've played in. The same goes for existing players who want to recommend friends. PM me their names and I will shoot them reminders as well.

Julius Caezure on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JC, have you checked to see how many new people there actually are or how many people might actually need a newbie phalla?

cause I can think of maybe 5.....

Dunadan019 on
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    JC, have you checked to see how many new people there actually are or how many people might actually need a newbie phalla?

cause I can think of maybe 5.....
    That's because you're blind and drunk.

JC, for #2 I'd say 6 game maximum. Beyond that if they've played more than that they should technically not really be a newbie any more and know vaguely what the hell they're doing.

If the limit seems low, maybe expand it for the second phase, since I'm sure they could use practice with more advanced mechanics.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Since this morning, I've received two PMs from completely new players looking to get into their first game, and I think there were a bunch of first-timers in the GV phalla, but to be honest, I haven't kept a list. I think my biggest problem is that I haven't been around long enough to know who is actually new to phalla, and who is a veteran player that is new to me.

I threw the suggestion up in the last signup thread and got a fair response, but if there aren't enough to start, then I'm happy just waiting.

Julius Caezure on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New players will come out of the wood works to play in a newbie phalla. I'd go with Spectrum's idea for a 6 game limit for people to play.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd say go select players based on how many games they've played in. If it's a newbie game and someone who played six games signs up first and someone who hasn't played misses by one slot the actual newbie should be the one who gets in.

On an unrelated note I have a mini almost ready to go. I'm aiming to start it on tuesday.

dunedainjedi on
    edited September 2009
    If you don't get enough actual players, you might want to think about assigning mentors to those people who are really new and allowing people who are somewhat new to play as well.

for example: new guy gets B:L as a mentor and can share all relevent information (including role pm) about the game with him. B:L is free to suggest specific helpful suggestions to his protegee. the restriction would be that B:L can't post in the thread or contact any other players/mentors directly about the game, only his protegee can contact other people.

not quite new people wouldn't get mentors.

Dunadan019 on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gosh, I hope I'm not quite new enough not to get you as a mentor Dunadan.

It would be the worst.
    It's actually an interesting idea. It gives them someone to talk about with things and trust freely, which is something that causes some disorientation when new players lack it.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    I actually really like the mentor idea. I had toyed with it at first, but wasn't sure how the rest of the community would respond.

Would it be preferable to keep communications between mentor/mentee via PM, or should I setup individual proboards (benefit being that I could monitor communications, new non-networked players would experience the joys of proboarding, and I could open the communications up post-game to share with all of the new players - help them learn from what others recognized as tells, etc.)?

Edit: Or would mentoring reduce the new player flailing about in such a way that the vets would essentially be playing by proxy?

Julius Caezure on
    edited September 2009
    Edit: Or would mentoring reduce the new player flailing about in such a way that the vets would essentially be playing by proxy?
    That is certainly a risk. If you go forward with this, you need to make sure the mentors understand they're really ONLY there for specific advice and such, not to play the game for their mentee.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    also you get the fun task of deciding who is worthy as a mentor (or one might say, who are 'big name players').

psolms on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    That is certainly a risk. If you go forward with this, you need to make sure the mentors understand they're really ONLY there for specific advice and such, not to play the game for their mentee.

Yeah. In the recent Deus Ex phalla, where everyone started off masoned with a player, I was masoned with LemmingHead, who was new. It actually worked out pretty well. We had a number of PMs where I explained why I thought we should or shouldn't do things, and I think she learned a lot from it.

So yeah, I think the mentor idea is a good one. New people always have questions, and unless you're a mafia or masoned you don't normally have anyone to ask these questions. I don't think it will be too difficult to notify people not to play-by-proxy with the new player, but instead give them advice.

Nocturne on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or more simply instead of a mentoring system we could just make it so the vets have a stronger presence in the thread so that if anyone has a question they know they don't just have one person to go for but a whole group. It's a less personal way, but it prevents a certain inequality going if, oh say, a newbie ends up with MrBlarney while another ends up with Erich Zahn while YET ANOTHER ends up with me and get a backstage pass for RAGE. Obviously it's an exaggeration, but it's to avoid.

A list of Registered Helpful Impartial Veterans, if you will.

Dac Vin on
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

It would be no different from being a network head really.

you can do your best to tell people on your team not to reveal certain things only to have them post something incredibly revealing the next day... unless the mentor tries to type out every single post and PM and send them to the protege to copy and paste I doubt it will be a puppet relationship.

but IMO, keeping the communication between the mentor/mentee via PM will cut down the liklihood of that. I don't like sending 15 PMs about a game in one day and I doubt other people do either.

Dunadan019 on
    edited September 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Or more simply instead of a mentoring system we could just make it so the vets have a stronger presence in the thread so that if anyone has a question they know they don't just have one person to go for but a whole group. It's a less personal way, but it prevents a certain inequality going if, oh say, a newbie ends up with MrBlarney while another ends up with Erich Zahn while YET ANOTHER ends up with me and get a backstage pass for RAGE. Obviously it's an exaggeration, but it's to avoid.

I think we can come up with at least 25 people who have played more than enough games to be a decent mentor.

the only problem might be the inactivity this weekend due to pax/labor day.

Dunadan019 on
    edited September 2009

I think we can come up with at least 25 people who have played more than enough games to be a decent mentor.

...You completely missed the point of my post.

Dac Vin on
    edited September 2009

well, I think erich zahn would qualify as not having played enough games to effectively mentor anyone.....

and whats so wrong about getting a wide array of play styles spread through new people?

Dunadan019 on
    edited September 2009

well, I think erich zahn would qualify as not having played enough games to effectively mentor anyone.....

and whats so wrong about getting a wide array of play styles spread through new people?
    Wide array of playstyles is code for "ignoring your win conditions for funsies", "reading someone else's role PM because you know them IRL", "how to consistently get Day 1'd for being a jerk", or "helping to vote our your mason partner".

I think a game designated small pool of mentors could work. There are certainly advantages to each, specifically in the further ease of custom-tailing advice since you don't have to be impartial with an individual member vs uniformity of quality of advice you get from a general pool.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I will think on this some more. If you would like to volunteer your services as a mentor, please PM me and I will put you on "The List." Also, Toxic Toys informed me that there are two people ahead of me in the mini department, so I will wait and hopefully the stars will align to allow me to start signups next Friday (9/11) with the game day to begin Monday (9/14).

This will also give me time to sort out the mentor/mentee idea.

Julius Caezure on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BL dropped out of the main so I am going to reserve in for him.

Therefore I will not be running my mini this week as planned and that is one less slot ahead of you.

Orange Soda on
    edited September 2009
    If any new player needs mentoring I am so down with doing that

I will make them into the finest of players

Gumpy on
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to add my name to the list to run another main.

Tentative Theme: The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jason Todd wrote: »

This is magnificent and I can't wait to see how you could possibly pull it off.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Daius wrote: »

This is magnificent and I can't wait to see how you could possibly pull it off.

Right now I'm thinking a faction game.

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to add my name to the list to run another main.

Very intriguing. Would the winner of the vote actually win something besides death?

Julius Caezure on
This discussion has been closed.