As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stereo speakers for a 360 on a VGA cable

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend's looking to hook her 360 up to a PC monitor and will be using one of these. The problem is that of sound. We're looking for a set of low-cost speakers that'll take the stereo input from the cable. I figure this should be pretty straightforward, but I've got no idea where to start.

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    www.newegg.com Look for 2.0 speakers.

Magus` on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just had a quick look, how am I going to know if what I'm looking at will need an adapter or not?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Assuming you're outputting via RCA (red/white) audio cords, just get a RCA to uh.. whatever computer speakers use.

Looks like Red/White to Green cord.

Magus` on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack is what you want, extremely common, $2-$3 bucks at radio shack, just make sure you get one that is actually stereo, they make an extremely similar cable, which is RCA to 3.5mm mono jack.
    and in fact, don't waste time on shipping, you could pick up a $20 pair of stereo speakers, might even include a cheap sub, at any Target/Best Buy/Walmart/whereverelectronicsaresold in America duder.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited September 2009
    Cheers for that, should make life a lot easier. I'm actually in the UK, but the same principles will apply.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    The official VGA cables come with a RCA-> Stereo jack adapter included, so wait to get the VGA cables first before buying redundant adapters

FyreWulff on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Cheers for that, should make life a lot easier. I'm actually in the UK, but the same principles will apply.

my apologies, I so often forget that these forums are international.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited September 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

my apologies, I so often forget that these forums are international.

No worries, I figured this wouldn't be to affected by location, so didn't mention it. And cheers Fyre, we've ordered some official ones, so that should be fine.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The official VGA cables come with a RCA-> Stereo jack adapter included, so wait to get the VGA cables first before buying redundant adapters

You may have to get a 3.5mm-3.5mm female/female adapter. The RCA-Stereo Jack that comes with the VGA cable has a male output and most speakers also have a male end on the cable.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If she has some speakers attached to the PC you can run the 3.5mm jack through the computers mic in port, then set the PC to play all mic audio.

Obviously the computer will have to be on to play the audio, but could save you a few quid on speakers.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

You may have to get a 3.5mm-3.5mm female/female adapter. The RCA-Stereo Jack that comes with the VGA cable has a male output and most speakers also have a male end on the cable.

Oh whoops. I guess I got too used to my speakers which have only female ports on them so I had to use the male adapter included.

FyreWulff on
  • green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If she has some speakers attached to the PC you can run the 3.5mm jack through the computers mic in port, then set the PC to play all mic audio.

Obviously the computer will have to be on to play the audio, but could save you a few quid on speakers.

Ooh I hadn't thought of that...

Although, ironically, saving on speakers might actually cost me as I'm a poor student and probably shouldn't be running both xbox and computer at the same time... trying to avoid an electricity bill of epic proportions.

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    female to female adapters are like 70 cents

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Instead of speakers you could also use headphones, which have the added benefit of not annoying anyone who may be around so it's great for a dorm setting.

Veevee on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what's the most convenient way to go online while using headphones and chat while we're on the same topic (that is, without spending a billion dollars on one of those fancy sets)

i'm guessing, set it to output voice via speakers, and then... i guess wear chat microphone around your neck?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo