As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2009 BYOC Info/FAQ (BYOC SOLD OUT!)

• AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    is it safe to return the $40 laptop lock I bought only for PAX then?
    Unless it's a burden to carry it around, it's probably safer to bring it, unopened. And if there are enough, return yours when you get back from PAX.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    zyphlar wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »
    I would advise against changing seats from this point on.

Cool. I figured it'd be one or the other. And one last question, s7arbuck was saying that we should trade barcodes in order to complete the ticket/seat trade, but my new barcode is the same as it always was, just with an additional seat listed below it. Seems more like a social security number and less like a ticket number. Am I correct that no barcode trading should go on?

After intel did the transfer they sent you a new barcode? If so just use the barcode in the 2nd email you got after the transfer was complete.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited August 2009
    Also for those who are bringing laptops but dont have a Laptop lock. We will once again have a large supply of laptop locks available for checkout thanks to one of my staffers :D

That depends...

Since this is loaned equipment we are watching the locks like a hawk. If someone checks out a lock one of my staff has to put it on there and take it off. So you have to come up and get one of us to unlock your laptop for you whenever you want to remove it from the room, and put it back on when you return.

If you want to deal with that then cool, go ahead and return the lock you bought :) (they are really handy to have though).

If you want to come and go as you please without getting us to unlock your laptop for you then use the one you got.

We are doing it this way (just like last year) becuase the person loaning us the huge box of locks borrowed them from his work (with permission) for you guys to use. Dont want him to get in trouble or anything if too many go missing :)

BigRed on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also for those who are bringing laptops but dont have a Laptop lock. We will once again have a large supply of laptop locks available for checkout thanks to one of my staffers :D

Yah, I also spent $40 on a laptop lock it was insisted I needed to buy. I don't have the receipt anymore either.

Money well spent!

Asiina on
    edited August 2009
    Having laptop locks available for attendees is always a last minute development :P
    I doubt we will have it next year as my staff guy that is providing them is moving jobs.

BigRed on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes but I won't be there next year.

I suppose I'll just sell it after this is over.

Asiina on
  • CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wow, $40? I just got a $25 kensington off of Newegg, i wasn't going to spend more than that since I was only buying it for PAX.

CRCelf on
    edited August 2009
    Having laptop locks available for attendees is always a last minute development :P
    Tell your staffer s/he rocks! Or tell me who s/he is and I'll bring cookies!

yummm

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If anybody is still looking for a BYOC pass, I have one for sale over in the tickets thread

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was going to pick up a laptop lock on my way to Seattle, but being able to check one out is awesome! I might pick one up anyway just to have in case... if I don't use it I could always return it.

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    wow, $40? I just got a $25 kensington off of Newegg, i wasn't going to spend more than that since I was only buying it for PAX.

She has to use Canadian FunBux™

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited September 2009
    sorry if this has been answered already.

I was wondering if there are any rules against bringing monitor arms that attach to desks? I saw the pictures from last year and it looks like normal folding tables which the monitor arm can attach too.

Thanks in advance!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two questions. :)

1) Is there wireless available? I'd like to bring my tabletPC for running Ventrilo while I play WoW, but if there's no wireless then that won't work since I'll be using my single port on my desktop.

2) Is there a restriction on food? I'd like to bring a small cooler with drinks and lunch/dinner and keep it at my seat. Much more comfortable than trying to get subway or run off a few blocks to avoid the crowds. :)

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
    edited September 2009
    Alphonsis wrote: »
    sorry if this has been answered already.

I was wondering if there are any rules against bringing monitor arms that attach to desks? I saw the pictures from last year and it looks like normal folding tables which the monitor arm can attach too.

Thanks in advance!

Please avoid using a monitor arm, they usually get in the way of other peoples seats. Remember theres 3 people to a table and you get about 30" of space.
    alegria wrote: »
    Two questions. :)

1) Is there wireless available? I'd like to bring my tabletPC for running Ventrilo while I play WoW, but if there's no wireless then that won't work since I'll be using my single port on my desktop.

2) Is there a restriction on food? I'd like to bring a small cooler with drinks and lunch/dinner and keep it at my seat. Much more comfortable than trying to get subway or run off a few blocks to avoid the crowds. :)

At this point theres no wireless thats connected to the BYOC network. You can run ventrilo on the same machine you are gaming on.
    Also remember that you are limited on your space (dont invade anybody elses space), and power since a laptop+desktop is effictivley two machines. If we start tripping breakers we are going to hunt down culprits and tell them to stash the extras.

no restriction on food but dont bring in a cooler (unless its a small lunch box style one, thats fine). They take up too much room, plus you arent allowed to bring in lots of outside food or drink to the WSCTC. its fine if you are bringing stuff in for immediate consumption but other than that its a nono. Stash the cooler in your car (if you are parking there).
    If you are just bringing a small lunchbox style cooler to keep sandwiches or somesuch in then thats cool. Just dont make a mess or spill anything.

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    Please avoid using a monitor arm, they usually get in the way of other peoples seats. Remember theres 3 people to a table and you get about 30" of space.
    Thanks!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • reinekecreinekec Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    THIS SUCKS!!!! Harddrive crashed on me the other night... I can't attend BYOC now. This really really sucks..

What can I do with my pass? I don't want to leave just an empty seat.

Can I still sell it or something at the event before BYOC is open? Is hand transfer allowed?

Or do I just keep it and leave the seat open? help!

reinekec on
    edited September 2009
    reinekec wrote: »
    THIS SUCKS!!!! Harddrive crashed on me the other night... I can't attend BYOC now. This really really sucks..
    Why does a crashed HD preclude you from enjoying BYOC?
    It's Tuesday, there's still plenty of time to pickup a replacement hard drive, install an OS and the games of your choice.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • reinekecreinekec Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's Tuesday, there's still plenty of time to pickup a replacement hard drive, install an OS and the games of your choice.
    I know but I am really strapped for money. I have to pay rent today and I have just enough money saved up for the hotel, gas and food for the road trip to Seattle. So I don't have much money for a harddrive. I'm going to go run over to Microcenter today to see if I can grab one for cheap. But it has to be like super cheap! lol

In the meantime my BYOC is for sale...

reinekec on
  • Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would advise against changing seats from this point on. We will be marking each seat (with the persons handle thats sitting there) most likey thats off a list being printed sometime... maybe today (I dont know when its being printed, :P)
    If theres a seating dispute come talk to me and ill look at the data on the site, otherwise sit where your name is on the table.

Did NoJoe (the video contest winner) ask you about switching seats? He's got friends in TB-14 and TB-15 who'd love to have him sit with us! :winky:

Is there wireless available? I'd like to bring my tabletPC for running Ventrilo while I play WoW, but if there's no wireless then that won't work since I'll be using my single port on my desktop.

If you've got two network ports on your desktop, you should be able to use Internet Connection Sharing to provide network access to your tablet.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Will the BYOC area be marked on the map in the PAX handout booklet?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Will the BYOC area be marked on the map in the PAX handout booklet?

Yes.
    It's in the "PC Area". The check-in area is clearly marked on there.

ghrog on
    PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And thats where we check in for our BYOC stuff as well?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rgr to that, sovietmudkipz.

ghrog on
    PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
    edited September 2009
    Raptor007 wrote: »
    I would advise against changing seats from this point on. We will be marking each seat (with the persons handle thats sitting there) most likey thats off a list being printed sometime... maybe today (I dont know when its being printed, :P)
    If theres a seating dispute come talk to me and ill look at the data on the site, otherwise sit where your name is on the table.

Did NoJoe (the video contest winner) ask you about switching seats? He's got friends in TB-14 and TB-15 who'd love to have him sit with us! :winky:

Is there wireless available? I'd like to bring my tabletPC for running Ventrilo while I play WoW, but if there's no wireless then that won't work since I'll be using my single port on my desktop.

If you've got two network ports on your desktop, you should be able to use Internet Connection Sharing to provide network access to your tablet.

he did but we cant move people out of their seats (its assigned seating for a reason). he would have had to PM everyone around you guys and ask them to move.
    He is just going to keep the contest seat.

BigRed on
    edited September 2009
    I know but I am really strapped for money. I have to pay rent today and I have just enough money saved up for the hotel, gas and food for the road trip to Seattle. So I don't have much money for a harddrive. I'm going to go run over to Microcenter today to see if I can grab one for cheap. But it has to be like super cheap! lol

Ask someone if they have a hdd you can borrow for the event? :P I might actually have one at home that you could use for pax... ill have to check when I get home from work.

BigRed on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got an old 60Gb 2.5" SATA drive that came out of my Playstation 3.

You'll have to rig up something creative to mount it in a desktop, but all the connectors are there and the price is right: free for the taking.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited September 2009
    There you reinekec :P I still probably have a regualr 3.5" hdd, i still have to check, wont be home until 4. Ill bring some blank dvds and even burn win7rc for you to install :P

BigRed on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There you reinekec :P I still probably have a regualr 3.5" hdd, i still have to check, wont be home until 4. Ill bring some blank dvds and even burn win7rc for you to install :P

BigRed: Internet Superhero

Houn on
    edited September 2009
    only if he actually sees this before he sells his ticket.

BigRed on
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    heh my hard drive died last week.. looks like it got too hot at Labrat's house back in July. But a 1TB drive in, loaded up Snow Leopard and we're rockin' !

Can't wait, it should be a blast!

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
    edited September 2009
    FYI BYOC PEOPLE:

You can get in as early as 7am on friday, but you must wait at the top of the escalators by the tullys. Theres that little garden area with tables and such at the top of the escalators.

BigRed on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So... any BYOCer's want to walk down to the PAX Breakfast late with me? :lol:

Houn on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FYI BYOC PEOPLE:

You can get in as early as 7am on friday, but you must wait at the top of the escalators by the tullys. Theres that little garden area with tables and such at the top of the escalators.

Cool. Thanks bigred.

Now I just hope this lcd monitor box doesn't fail me.

ALSO--

[strike]I have some EL wire but I can't think of anything creative to do with it. I've used double sided clear tape before to sticky it all together into words but what to write?(EVGA was there previously but I can't think of anything to put there) I also could lace my ancient but awesome keyboard with it as well. Decisions- decisions...[/strike]

I figured it out. maybe I just needed to post this.

Viscountalpha on
    edited September 2009

Ask someone if they have a hdd you can borrow for the event? :P I might actually have one at home that you could use for pax... ill have to check when I get home from work.

Hey reinekec:
    I have a 80gb sata hdd that you can use for pax if you like. Its not much... but enough to load up windows, tf2, and a few other games.

BigRed on
  • Wifout TeefWifout Teef Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm in BYOC. Once I set up at like 8 am, what do I do? Do I get into PAX early or do I join the line?

And my family is going as well but they don't have BYOC passes. Do they just stay in line?

Wifout Teef on
  • zyphlarzyphlar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    japerry wrote: »
    heh my hard drive died last week.. looks like it got too hot at Labrat's house back in July. But a 1TB drive in, loaded up Snow Leopard and we're rockin' !

Can't wait, it should be a blast!

eww, what are you gonna play on that, the sims? ;)

zyphlar on
    edited September 2009
    So I'm in BYOC. Once I set up at like 8 am, what do I do? Do I get into PAX early or do I join the line?

And my family is going as well but they don't have BYOC passes. Do they just stay in line?
    I believe you're allowed to just chill in the BYOC room until 10 when PAX opens.

I'm also pretty sure that you can leave the room and join your family in line if you wish to.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    will byoc have some special way into pax when it opens or have to go in with the masses at the end of hte line when it opens? i think I saw last year byoc going in alongside/next to the normal pax line.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    will byoc have some special way into pax when it opens or have to go in with the masses at the end of hte line when it opens? i think I saw last year byoc going in alongside/next to the normal pax line.
    BYOC gets to go in 2 hours earlier than the normal line. 3 actually, if you consier the fact Big Red said we can wait by the escalators starting at 7am.

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think PikaPuff was referring to the expo hall and other shenanigans. We get to enter BYOC at 8am, but we don't get access to the Expo hall then. We have to wait until 10, like everyone else. The real question (and what I believe PikaPuff was asking) is whether we get to head right into the expo hall and whatnot from BYOC, or do we need to go through the main queue.

What say you, oh mighty Big Red?

CRCelf on
This discussion has been closed.