As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering (now with 200% more OP)

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A card that is a two-card kill combo with a rare card in Magic 2010. - My vote is something to combo with Mirror of Fate.

A spell capable of making a 14/1 token. - The toughest part about speculating from this statement is whether 14/1 is an arbitrary value or a definitive printed quality. I saw someone suggest it was a Ball Lightning variant where you discard cards upon playing and the token get's +2/0 for each card, which made sense to some extent.

A creature that can sacrifice itself to make a planeswalker go to the graveyard. - Maybe a red sorcery that puts a copy of each non-land permanent players control on the battlefield until end of turn, thus killing all PWs and legends.

A legendary octopus - This has me stumped. Some kind of shroud giving ability seems good for an octopus. The cephalids from odyssey were also pretty adept at tapping permanents and looting.
    Octopussy - 3UUU
    Legendary Creature - Octopus Wizard
    Flash
    U: Target creature gains Shroud until EoT
    Tap: draw three cards, then discard three cards.
    3/5

Probably too similar to Arcanis.

A spell that can allow you for no mana to put a creature from your library into play. - As it stands, it's deliberately unclear if it's just referring to the circumvention of mana costs on the creature, or if the spell happens to cost zero, like it's a new pact. If it's the former, not much different than Polymorph, which would be pretty unexciting. I'm guessing it's probably a rare trap card that can trigger for free.
    A card with the reminder text "The land continues to burn..." -Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

I think you're thinking of flavor text, and not reminder text. It's logically a hint at a new ability/counter type.

A card that allows you to pay eight mana for four 4/4 fliers - Maybe it's that new 9CC angel legend. Wouldn't be very useful to have a 7W: put 4 4/4 White Angel tokens with flying onto the battlefield, but kinda flavorful.

A creature whose rules text includes the phrase "you win the game." - Something so broken it says "if you win the game, you lose the game instead." But I think that requires the word "would" in that clause.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1) Possible. I think it'll be something more like Sanguine Bond + "Gain life equal to target opponents current life total".

2) Disagree. It's not an x/1 token, but specifically 14/1. Maybe another land like Dark Depths? Despite being utterly vulnerable to mass amounts of removal, losing a pile of creatures to just make a 14/1 seems like it'd be risky at best, and a giant waste at worst.

3) Possible, but there are many cards where a pile of counters are factored heavily into the cost or effect. To destroy a planeswalker (preferably one your opponent controls) you'd want "counters from target permanent to a permanent you control" or some such. Who'd want to kill their own planeswalkers? I saw speculation of "Vindicate on a stick(creature)", which seems possible, though I imagine the cost would have to be more than just a sacrifice. Qasali Pridemage is a Disenchant in a creature, and it costs 1 mana. The ability to get any non-shrouded permanent would have to cost (imo) at least 3 or 4. It couldn't be an absurd amount or it'd be unplayable, but anything less than 3 seems like it'd be too powerful.

4) I'm hoping for a Legendary cycle, where each colour gets its own badass creature. That'd be nice, but it seems a little bland. I'm all for undercosted creatures/beatsticks, but it's too close to the usual octopi we've seen. Given the recent embracing of more multiplayer friendly cards, perhaps it being a creature with a vast array of arms means it'll be somehow multiplayer oriented?

5) Disagree. I'm thinking it'll be a trap (green, possibly/likely?) wherein an opponent does something harsh to you (destroys 2-3+ of your creatures in one turn) and you can turn around and drop something badass in response for free. Mass removal is common enough it wouldn't be beyond belief.

6) Possibly a hint at a mechanic, be it block or specific to a single card. Perhaps something to whet the appetite of those who like playing Land Destruction (I don't, and I don't know many people that do) as misdirection?

7) Seems like something that'd require sac'ing a land or something along with what might be an enchantment or artifact or something. 8 mana for 16/16 worth of fliers means that the mana cost isn't the only thing being accounted for. There's got to be some sort of drawback or extra cost to be balanced.

8) I can't see them making a Vampire Phage, unless the CC or included drawback was enough to keep it from being terribly overpowered. They've used enough alternate win conditions that I'd find it hillarious if it were, say, a "creature trap" in a way; perhaps something with flash wherein a certain set of conditions will trigger, so you can aim to make that happen and then toss this down, sweeping victory in perhaps the face of defeat, but that's just speculation based on the number of cards that allow you to "win the game" often being vulnerable for a while (understandably) so to make something big out of this (big enough to be a teaser) I'm wondering what other directions they might take it to make it extraordinary this time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    metaghost wrote: »
    A card that is a two-card kill combo with a rare card in Magic 2010. - My vote is something to combo with Mirror of Fate.

Maybe something like traumatize except the cards are exiled? Add Mind Spring for extra fun.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    metaghost wrote: »

Hrm...

"If you cannot draw a card from your library, instead of losing the game, you win the game."?

It'd be massively ballsy to play, but it'd become something that either they answered on their turn or you won the game.

As a 3 card combo, you could then play a cantrip or mill spell against yourself for a win.

Forar on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1. I think Forar is onto something, sanguine bond seems more likely than mirror of fate.
    2. forar is right again, it's not a creature it's a token and we have to assume 14/1 is a possible set value not any x.
    3. I like the sacrifice this put a copy of target permanent into play idea...whatever it is it's going to kill a planeswalker in an unusual way.
    4. I still think octopus will be blue with a cephalid flavor to it.
    5. I like the trap idea -if 4 or more of your creatures were put into a graveyard this turn put a creature from your library into play.
    6. I'm thinking a red card that lets you sacrifice lands to deal damage?
    7. Angels isn't a bad idea...everyone is thinking "broodmate family" but it's going to be single color. Can't be black, green or blue, they never get so much flying creature goodness on one card, so that leaves dragons or angels. I don't think it will be a creature that creates creatures because that is more a green ability which this won't be.
    8. I like the idea of a vampie phage but you're probably right....how about: if you play a trap card for it's trap cost you win the game.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, the phrase "capable of making a 14/1 token" doesn't rule out the possibility of that same spell being "capable of making a 12/1 token". There's certainly an implication that 14/1 is, at the very least, the upper bound of what the spell is capable of, but it still stands to reason that it could make some other than a 14/1.

metaghost on
  • Options
    DazarenaDazarena Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New Spoiled cards:

Blood Extractor BB
    Creature - Vampire Sprit (rare)
    Blood Abomination can't block.
    Blood Abomination has haste if an opponent has 10 life or less.
    Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, return Blood Abomination from the graveyard to the battlefield.
    2/1

Plated Centipede 1R
    Creature - Insect (common)
    First strike
    Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Geopede Plates get +2/+2 until end of turn.
    "The ancient Kor armorers bought scales and claws. The ancient elfen oracles bought the rest."
    1/1

Oran-Reef Survivalist 1G
    Creature - Human Warrior Ally (common)
    Whenever Oran-Rief Survivalist or another ally enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Oran-Rief Survivalist.
    1/1

Tomb Lord's Quest B
    Enchantment (uncommon)
    Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a collection counter on Collection of the Tomb Lord.
    Remove three collection counters from Collection of the Tomb Lord and sacrifice it: Put a 5/5 black Zombie Giant token onto the battlefield.

Predatory Urge 3G
    Enchantment - Aura (rare)
    The enchanted creature has: "Tap: This creature deals damage equal to its power to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power to the first creature."

Lavaball Trap 6RR
    Instant - Trap
    If an opponent had two or more lands enter the battlefield under his or her control this turn, you may pay 3RR rather than pay Lavaball Trap's mana cost.
    Destroy two target lands. Lava Ball Trap deals 4 damage to each creature.

Wavering Peaks
    Land
    Wavering Peaks enters the battlefield tapped.
    When Wavering Peaks enters the battlefield, target creature gains +2/+0 until end of turn.
    Tap: Add R to your mana pool.

The vampire and the black enchantment are amazing...

Dazarena on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also if you have not seen it...

Chandra Ablaze 4RR
    line 1 - +1 discard a card. If a red card was discarded this way Chandra Ablaze deals 4 damage to target creature or player
    line 2 - ?
    line 3 - ?
    Loyalty 5

Dazarena on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was just about to post those, too. :)

Yeah, that enchantment is amazing for a MBC deck. I like the Vampire, too, but I don't think he's amazing. He is certainly good. Resurrect built in is great. Especially if you are playing 26 lands in a MBC deck, which I did in TSP/LOR.

Lavaball Trap somewhat confirms that there is a way to get two lands into play during a turn. I'm hoping it's other than Terramorphic Expanse/the Panoramas. Either way, the card is pretty awesome.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Or perhaps a Harrow reprint?

Forar on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dazarena wrote: »
    New Spoiled cards:

Predatory Urge 3G
    The enchanted creature has: "Tap: This creature deals damage equal to its power to target creature. That creature deals damage equal to its power to the first creature."

In green -- interesting. I wonder if this is a temporary color pie shift for this set, or it's part of a larger effort to give green better removal.

Now that I look at it, doesn't the wording seem off? "...the first creature?" Shouldn't it just be "...this creature?" Are there other cards templated this way?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    New Spoiled cards:

Predatory Urge 3G

In green -- interesting. I wonder if this is a temporary color pie shift for this set, or it's part of a larger effort to give green better removal.

Now that I look at it, doesn't the wording seem off? "...the first creature?" Shouldn't it just be "...this creature?" Are there other cards templated this way?

they were in french and translated so it is a little rough

Dazarena on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New Spoiled cards:

Predatory Urge 3G

Sounds like they have more chain reaction cards cards perhaps or to stop twincast shenaniganry with protean hyrda mayhaps?

Wild speculation on my part since this'll be my first set release since I've started playing again.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Instant speed Land Destruction + Super Pyroclasm? Sure, it's normally 8CC, but that's pretty intense.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    New Spoiled cards:

Predatory Urge 3G

It's an enchantment based Contested Cliffs, which is itself a functional reprint of Arena (among other things with similar effects). Which is to say that green has had this ability before, and while it's often tied to or coupled with red, I don't think it's particularly out of left field.

I used to have a Beast deck that ran 4 Cliffs, but it's long gone, and while I appreciate that this is likely more of a Limited card, this version doesn't exactly fill me with glee.

That said, it'd be funny to have on, say, a Plated Slagwurm. Bonus points if you control a Yavimaya Hollow, just in case.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You'd think they could've just printed a non-tribal contested cliffs in the land set.

Try as they might, they really have a hard time making auras that don't suck.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm thinking they are going to make vampires badasses in zendikar

Dazarena on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I like the card arts and the flavor fits well on the survivalist:
    I'm strong enough to survive on my own but smart enough to want companions by my side.

That black vampire looks amazing...you destroy your opponents board and just keep swinging...his removal does nothing.

That red trap card looks like a sideboard card to kill anyone trying to abuse landfall, I can't see playing it over bogardan hellkite main deck though...with primal command rotating out they would need a replacement land destruction to really play tempo.

That green enchantment only really has a home on Uril, the Miststalker, sure it makes the hydra huge but the whole thing goes down to one removal spell. It's kinda cool but not exactly a chase rare. They should have made it an enchantment instead of an enchant creature.

Dman on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wavering Peaks
    Land
    When Wavering Peaks enters the battlefield, target creature gains +2/+0 until end of turn.
    Free shock woo!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just thought of something sneaky WotC could do with landfall: Landfall lands, e.g.:

Grove of Groves
    Land
    ~ comes into play tapped
    As long as ~ is untapped, you may play an extra land on your turns.
    Landfall - Whenever a land enters play under your control, ~ adds G to your mana pool.

What do you think? Plausible?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I just thought of something sneaky WotC could do with landfall: Landfall lands, e.g.:

Grove of Groves
    Land
    ~ comes into play tapped
    As long as ~ is untapped, you may play an extra land on your turns.
    Landfall - Whenever a land enters play under your control, ~ adds G to your mana pool.

What do you think? Plausible?

Why would you ever tap the land? Seems like it's a broken land card to me. This on turn one and then play two lands on turn 2 (GG in pool) and tap them and on turn 2 you have four mana. It's extremely broken.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Locutus ZeroLocutus Zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That seems WAY powerful. 4 mana on turn 2?

Locutus Zero on
    Locutus+Zero.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would abuse the ever loving shit out of that with my vernal bloom deck.

Sure, they could do something like that, but it seems like an awful lot for a land to do. Just being able to play more than one land per turn breaks a natural 'rule' of the game which keeps players (at least for the first couple turns) mostly limited to what they could do.

It'd be awfully easy to break. Add in the extra mana from land being dropped, and you could see third turn Baneslayer Angels in standard, which is significantly faster than Alara Block is, for the most part.

As suggested, I can't see it happening. Minus the extra mana ability, or just with the landfall ability, yeah, that might not be too horrific.

Make it Legendary (so you're not getting multiples of them out at once) and I think it could work and remain balanced.

Forar on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Make it Legendary (so you're not getting multiples of them out at once) and I think it could work and remain balanced.

Just like Gaea's Cradle and Tolarian Academy :)

JeffH on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New Spoiled cards:

Predatory Urge 3G

It's an enchantment based Contested Cliffs, which is itself a functional reprint of Arena (among other things with similar effects). Which is to say that green has had this ability before, and while it's often tied to or coupled with red, I don't think it's particularly out of left field.

Yeah, red and green have traded this ability back and forth in the past (Tracker in The Dark, Karplusan Yeti in Ice Age, Magus of the Arena in Planar Chaos); more importantly, Master of the Wild Hunt has returned it to green for now, because green needs some sort of targeted creature removal that doesn't rely on combat.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    Wavering Peaks
    Land
    Free shock woo!

This combo's really well with that double strike goblin they partially spoilered, although even mono red will probably have to choose between this or Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle.

It seems certain that they will have special lands for the other 4 colors also. Both weak comes into play abilities and powerful landfall abilities. Blue -draw&discard, black creature from graveyard to hand, green giant growth, white lifegain...but with 5 rare and 5 uncommon lands I'm worried they won't do dual lands at all which would suck.

I think they've realized that playing 3+ colours will still be popular after lorwyn rotates and they want to give us solid reasons to play mono or 2 colour decks.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    JeffH wrote: »

Just like Gaea's Cradle and Tolarian Academy :)

... touche.

My main point was that it's too powerful, and we'd have to tone it right the fuck down to make it playable. Being Legendary would help, but my main point was that it'd likely have to be an "either/or". Both extra land and extra mana from dropping lands is just too powerful on its own.

Especially since the Landfall ability would trigger for lands that came into play beyond those dropped from his hand. Fetch lands just became even more awesome, Harrow just about became broken, etc.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If they make a land that adds mana or lets you play extra lands it will be more like this:

KingShrub, the Living Pinnacle

KingShrub, the Living Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
    Whenever a Forest enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Forests, search your library for a forest and put it into play.
    {T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.

Dman on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    If they make a land that adds mana or lets you play extra lands it will be more like this:

Whenever a Forest enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Forests, search your library for a forest and put it into play.

Woo all the forests out of my deck in one fell swoop, yes please!

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

If you think about that card...it is broken beyond all belief

Dazarena on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You're right I'm an idiot :rotate:

Lets say instead

Whenever a Forest enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Forests, add GG to your mana pool.

Dman on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Pinnacle" isn't really an appropriate term for a forest.

jackal on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember them saying this set was going to focus on something they hadn't really focused on before. I guess that explains all the Landfall and weird lands. Interesting.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jackal wrote: »

I know, I just didn't care if it was obvious I stole the template from Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle since I think each colour will get a land with a similar trigger mechanic, it was sort of a joke really.

SeaSpire, the Underwater Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
    Whenever an Island enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Islands, draw a card, then discard a card.
    {T}: Add {U} to your mana pool

Cemetery, the Buried Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
    Whenever a swamp enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other swamps, return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
    {T}: Add {B} to your mana pool

Palace, the Cherished Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
    Whenever a Plains enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Plains, gain 5 life.
    {T}: Add {W} to your mana pool

Dman on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jackal wrote: »

I know, I just didn't care if it was obvious I stole the template from Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle since I think each colour will get a land with a similar trigger mechanic, it was sort of a joke really.

SeaSpire, the Underwater Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
    Whenever an Island enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Islands, draw a card, then discard a card.
    {T}: Add {U} to your mana pool

Cemetery, the Buried Pinnacle enters the battlefield tapped.
    Whenever a swamp enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other swamps, return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
    {T}: Add {B} to your mana pool

Whenever a Plains enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Plains, gain 5 life.

All I get from this is "man everyone hates white."

White has plenty of abilities beyond life gain.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's white, what can I say, green or white could get creature pump but that will be at the uncommon spot like red. guess it's possible white will get something creature related but I'm not holding my breath.

Whenever a Plains enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Plains, put a 1/1 soldier token into play.

better?

Dman on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's white, what can I say, green or white could get creature pump but that will be at the uncommon spot like red. guess it's possible white will get something creature related but I'm not holding my breath.

Whenever a Plains enters the battlefield under your control, if you control five other Plains, put a 1/1 soldier token into play.

better?

That could be REALLY redonk a friend of mine is playing a W/G/U deck that is pretty brutal if he can't get the soldier pump out He'll get you with the ridicilous Ponders/Elvish Visionary/Sage Owl deck scours for cards he needs (and by needs I mean he really relies on his Protean Hydras WAY too much if we would just strip his deck down to straight white he would have an almost 3/5 jump on me when it comes winning since we're both pretty amateurish).

Also is the Elemental Sparkspitter from X edition still in play or should I think about not being a cheap bastard and take it out of my mono red deck?

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

better?

Ya know I still love ya. And yes, it seems keeping more in white's theme. White has been (thankfully) moving away from cards which only gain life. I view Harm's Way as both an apology for and a mended version of bandage.

Hell, you can look at the modern 143 (one-for-three) cycle as follows...

Red: Bolt is back
    Blue: Ponder
    Green: Giant Growth, of course.
    White: Harm's way (It prevents 2 damage, and it deals two damage, so that's kind of like 3)
    Black: hmmmm....

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Black gets duress I guess?

The black land of the ones I made up seems a little stronger than the others...but giving black something that makes an opponent discard on turn 7 would be really weak.

I love harms way, apology accepted. When I started playing magic I had a friend who would not take bandage out of his deck for love nor money...crazy bastard.

Dman on