As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free metroidvanias

2»

• vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So what you are saying is that indie developers HAVE to make games that only 3 people actually want to play?

vhzod on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Klorgnum wrote: »
    Eternal Daughter (scroll way down to the bottom) is pretty great. Excellent Super-NES styled graphics and music. The controls are a little iffy, but I'd still highly recommend it.

SO HARD.

Seconded! I'm abandoning it for Iji at the moment. I think it would be a bit easier if I had a controller, but still; tossing enemies that do multiple points of damage at you in the second area when you don't even have 6 hit points is just mean.

Tvtropes is a great source for finding these free games, assuming you can avoid the other hazards of that realm.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited September 2009
    Iji is a great game. I can actually play that one. It's not strictly a metroidvania because there isn't any backtracking.

vhzod on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    vhzod wrote: »
    So what you are saying is that indie developers HAVE to make games that only 3 people actually want to play?

No, but one of the advantages of being an indie developer is to appeal to a niche market. People like Cactus are worshiped by fans of independent games, and all he does is make really weird shit. He'd never make it in the mainstream and, as far as I'm aware, has no desire to.

So basically you're complaining about the difficulty of games like IWBGT or Within A Deep Forest when those games were made by people who have no desire to appeal to a large market

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man that experimental jazz music would be better if it followed mainstream rock structuring.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread isn't about arguing, it's about giving me cool free videogames to play

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    Would it really drive away so many fans if they made the games easier? I can't play most of these games.

If you like instadeath spikes try Underside. Its definitely a metroidvania.

vhzod on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Would it really drive away so many fans if they made the games easier? I can't play most of these games.

I liked Underside, in fact I really liked Underside, and had no problems with it

your complaint is still invalid because it's completely a matter of opinion

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rayofash wrote: »
    Some of the platforms are invisible and give no hint to their being there. You have to even jump in a special way just to get there. And that's in the very beginning of the dungeon! And you have to do it to get the item that helps you continue the game!

La Mulana isn't hard. It's torture.

I...what? I've beaten La-Mulana and I don't remember that in the Guidance Gate. In fact, I recall the Guidance Gate being pretty easy. I found the game's difficulty to come far more from the obscure puzzles which required either a guide or the notetaking and deciphering ability of an archaeologist. It wasn't an easy game by any means, but outside of the bonus dungeon it wasn't actively trying to drive you insane.

EDIT: Wait, wait. I remember what you mean. It's not that hard to figure out since I'm pretty sure both a skeleton AND a tablet tell you about it.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I liked Underside, in fact I really liked Underside, and had no problems with it

I think he has a point. Some indie devs seem to go out of their way just to make their game ludicrously hard, to the point where it starts being cheap (here I define cheap as being "no advance warning and no real way to avoid the death the first time, instead depending on rote memorisation and then pinpoint precision")

I mean I've enjoyed games like that (Another World was a bad offender for this, but man it was amazing), but I've also pretty much thrown away a tonne of them when it was evident the level designer didn't really understand what "fun" was and seems to have equated it with how many times he can force you to die instead.

subedii on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »

I think he has a point. Some indie devs seem to go out of their way just to make their game ludicrously hard, to the point where it starts being cheap (here I define cheap as being "no advance warning and no real way to avoid the death the first time, instead depending on rote memorisation and then pinpoint precision")

I mean I've enjoyed games like that (Another World was a bad offender for this, but man it was amazing), but I've also pretty much thrown away a tonne of them when it was evident the level designer didn't really understand what "fun" was and seems to have equated it with how many times he can force you to die instead.

Agreed as well. Some (not all) indie devs do not seem to understand the difference between brutally hard + fun and just plain old brutally hard.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't played it, as I don't have a PC accessible, but I really wanted to try In 60 Seconds. It's a metroidvania ... with a 60 second time limit.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    I haven't played it, as I don't have a PC accessible, but I really wanted to try In 60 Seconds. It's a metroidvania ... with a 60 second time limit.
    Seeing this post made me have to try it at lunch. I played it about 5 times, only beat it once. It gives you a ranking when you beat it depending on speed and items collected I believe. There is even a boss battle. I got a C rank...which I feel is pretty terrible on my part. Good for a quick burst of fun though.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spelunky comes close, I think.

citizen059 on
    edited September 2009
    okay come on now spelunky isn't a metroidvania at all

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fair enough. It's entertaining though. Also, I never really enjoyed Metroid or any of the Castlevania games, so I'm probably not qualified to offer advice on the genre.

citizen059 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I Wanna Be The Guy has already been mentioned? I'm pleased and shall now withdraw.

joshofalltrades on
    edited September 2009
    okay uh I Wanna be The Guy is not a metroidvania

there's a difference between a metroidvania and a platformer, guys

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Spelunky comes close, I think.

more of a roguelike

A Metroidvania is like an open world platformer where you find items that change your characters abilities, allowing you to pass obstacles liberally scattered throughout the world, and thereby allowing you to progress as more and more avenues of exploration are opened to you. Some also employ vast amounts of secrets and unnecessary upgrades to uncover.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Didn't see this mentioned yet, The Power is a pretty short and fun little metroidvania.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited September 2009
    Oh I was looking for that the other day

Thanks

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hm, maybe Iji? Very divergent from your metroidvania category but still retains some elements. I personally love the game and it's free and has a fantastic setting.

Just curious: Why doesn't cave story count?

Came to post this. Iji is wonderful. A++ will play again. It's more like Flashback than a Metroidvania, but that's hardly a bad thing. It even has stat customization.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2009
    Iji is pretty awesome, yea, like a mix of platforming and SS2 style stat management

I didn't like the soundtrack at all though, but that's just me, alot of people loved it

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I liked it for the most part, possibly because I like Machinae Supremacy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2009
    It did what it was meant to do, but sometimes soundtracks are unnoticeable, sometimes they stand out because they're fantastic, but this was one of those cases where it stood out for me because I found it repetitive and too "trying to be really hard rock" to give a good atmosphere

but definitely a subjective opinion

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Wait they did the soundtrack for iji? I thought they only did it for Jets 'n' Guns. Guess that's another reason to check it out sometime.

subedii on
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Wait they did the soundtrack for iji? I thought they only did it for Jets 'n' Guns. Guess that's another reason to check it out sometime.

They used some songs of theirs, but they weren't involved in the game, the creator is just a fan.

The OST kind of sounds like their stuff, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mxD4FjD3w

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png