As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX 2009 Schedule + Show Map

2»

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    not sure when media gets in this year, but yes the opening time was moved up to 10am for everybody on friday.

Just got an email saying media get access from 8:30am. Early rise for me on Friday then...

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ThistledownThistledown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Great map, but like the original schedule, I wish it were easily printable several readable pages. I ended up splitting each image in half and rotating them so I could ultimately print 4 pages with the map so that it is readable. I'm making the file available to those that want it. If Destructoid wants me to take it down, I will. If they want to take it and re-serve it, that's fine.

PAX 2009 Maps

Thistledown on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wow, thats kinda cool and weird. So basically the Skybridge/bandland and the BYOC room last year is now part of the expo hall.

I like it

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't particular care for the visual style of the schedule. It's difficult to read (fit on a monitor), and it doesn't print well. To combat this, I've created my own alternative version of the schedule. I've used this same format for Star Wars Celebrations III and IV. It may have some typos, and obviously the schedule is subject to change. However, it should look good in print.

PAX 2009 Alternative Schedule (PDF)
    PAX 2009 Alternative Schedule (XLS)

Gee, this looks awfully similar to the one posted here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11198365&postcount=13 (yes, earlier in this very thread). Note in particular the lack of a few tabletop and pc tourney times, which are identical...

Valander on
    D.
  • Options
    jakeaidanjakeaidan Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it's clearly a pdf version of that document with a few tweaks, the game times sync makes it obvious.

jakeaidan on
  • Options
    kantspellkantspell Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    My team will be filming certain panels and will take suggestions from people on what panels they would want to us to film, so when I post the thread about it, go ahead and let us know, and maybe your dreams will in fact come true and you won't have to worry about missing panels. :D

Wasn't there a project like this last year? When/where would the videos of the panels be posted?

kantspell on
  • Options
    ThistledownThistledown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Valander wrote: »
    I don't particular care for the visual style of the schedule. It's difficult to read (fit on a monitor), and it doesn't print well. To combat this, I've created my own alternative version of the schedule. I've used this same format for Star Wars Celebrations III and IV. It may have some typos, and obviously the schedule is subject to change. However, it should look good in print.

PAX 2009 Alternative Schedule (PDF)
    PAX 2009 Alternative Schedule (XLS)

Gee, this looks awfully similar to the one posted here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11198365&postcount=13 (yes, earlier in this very thread). Note in particular the lack of a few tabletop and pc tourney times, which are identical...

Ouch. That hurts. I must have missed the Google Docs version as I skimmed the thread. My version is based entirely off my Star Wars Celebration III and IV schedules which I also released for free in 2005 and 2007. I didn't copy the google docs version despite the similar look. I also don't get any advertisement or other revenue from the links.

Thistledown on
  • Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Valander wrote: »

Ouch. That hurts. I must have missed the Google Docs version as I skimmed the thread. My version is based entirely off my Star Wars Celebration III and IV schedules which I also released for free in 2005 and 2007. I didn't copy the google docs version despite the similar look. I also don't get any advertisement or other revenue from the links.

Yeah, looking at it again, there are some differences for sure. I guess there are only so many ways to present something like this. I'll go fix some crow for dinner now...

Valander on
    D.
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Back to scheduling, room clearing fracas- the only problem I see is that clearing the main theater between the keynote and PA Panel 1 would not only be horrifically difficult but also make people choose between which one of the two they would prefer. If the room is cleared, no one who went to the keynote would also be able to get back in because the line would fill out to max capacity outside.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Back to scheduling, room clearing fracas- the only problem I see is that clearing the main theater between the keynote and PA Panel 1 would not only be horrifically difficult but also make people choose between which one of the two they would prefer. If the room is cleared, no one who went to the keynote would also be able to get back in because the line would fill out to max capacity outside.

This is my exact worry. I want to know in advance if I have to choose, so I don't get screwed if I go to the keynote.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright, my preliminary panel schedule after seeing the line up:

Friday:
    Omegathon Rd 1
    Keynote
    Exhibit Hall roaming
    Spike Sneak Peaks (If Schafer is there, I'm there)
    Designing for Failure

Saturday:
    G4 (could be fun, and not a whole lot else happening early)
    Old Republic demo (Must see)
    Halpin and Sessler (again, could be fun. I talked with Sessler for a few minutes last year when he wasn't filming, pretty nice guy)
    Harmonix Panel (another must for me. Will gladly skip the second half of Halpin and Sessler to line up. Plus JoCo will be there)
    Saturday Concerts (Freezepop and JoCo, yes please)

Sunday:
    Omegathon Connect Four (could be epic)
    Localization panel
    PA panel #2
    Wil Wheton Awesome Hour
    Omegathon Final round

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think anyone needs to worry about choosing between the Keynote and PA Panel. They are in the same colored box and there is no gaps between start times. I think anything with an hour gap or more between start times will have the theater cleared out.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nikolis wrote: »
    I don't think anyone needs to worry about choosing between the Keynote and PA Panel. They are in the same colored box and there is no gaps between start times. I think anything with an hour gap or more between start times will have the theater cleared out.

It's quite a logical assumption, but I don't think I'll make plans on seeing the keynote 'til PRD or Khoo or someone says that's the case.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    kantspell wrote: »
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    My team will be filming certain panels and will take suggestions from people on what panels they would want to us to film, so when I post the thread about it, go ahead and let us know, and maybe your dreams will in fact come true and you won't have to worry about missing panels. :D

Wasn't there a project like this last year? When/where would the videos of the panels be posted?

Well I did the project last year, but it honestly wasn't all too great. You can find the thread about that project here, download links and such are there too.

As for this year, it will all be in DVD form again, but I'm going to talk to my friend who's running a certain website with me and see what we might be able to do about having them viewable online or something. Check the banner in my signature for my thread for this years project.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In a press release, it states:

"LucasArts will showcase the first stateside live demo of Star Wars: The Old Republic and sponsor a cantina for community members to meet various staff and developers"

What I'm trying to find out is, are they saying you will need to be a member of the LucasArts and / or TOR community in order to get into this cantina?

And if that is the case, is there a sign-up post located somewhere to get your name on a list in order to get access to this?

I have posted asking this on both the LucasArts and Old Republic forums. No one has any idea about it.

What has made me wonder if there will be controlled access even more is the fact that this cantina will not just be a part of the exhibition hall. It has its own room on Level 3 according to the Expo map layout for this year....

Does anyone have any concrete information on how the cantina is going to be handled?

MaxSteele on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I checked their website under events...
    http://www.swtor.com/events
    Washington on September 4th - 6th where members of The Old Republic team will be showcasing a public gameplay demo of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ to attendees.

Check out The Old Republic booth and meet members of the Star Wars: The Old Republic team. Throughout the convention, we’ll have Star Wars: The Old Republic giveaways!

Make sure to stop by and check out the fun!

So unless they have a separate booth AND this cantina thing. I'm guessing by community members they basically mean fans of the game. Or the PAX community.

Either way yay for TOR being demoed and giveaways. If I score a beta pass, i'll consider this PAX a success.

parabola on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm guessing they're probably just renting a bar somewhere in the area. Devs have done that for previous PAXii. White Wolf had one last year for EVE Online (well...not really), Sierra for World in Conflict in the Annex (won't happen again since that's the tabletop area), Turbine for the first couple.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing they're probably just renting a bar somewhere in the area. Devs have done that for previous PAXii. White Wolf had one last year for EVE Online (well...not really), Sierra for World in Conflict in the Annex (won't happen again since that's the tabletop area), Turbine for the first couple.

No, they are actually renting an entire room for themselves. I think it was a freeplay room last year.

parabola on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guess I was taking "cantina" too literally...I could use a drink.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It'll probably have Cantina music.

parabola on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    It'll probably have Cantina music.

Will it have sleazy drunks with the death sentence on 12 system?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What is "evening freeplay"? At first I thought it meant extra time to go around and look at all the booths and wares and things, but the Expo Hall closes much earlier than the nighttime freeplay.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They have areas with a bunch of TVs, video game systems, and a desk where you can check out games to play.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    They have areas with a bunch of TVs, video game systems, and a desk where you can check out games to play.

So just another area for console freeplay, basically? Fair enough.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't know PAX was so big! Wow!!!

They really want you to feel the kid in a candy store effect huh? I can't wait!

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How is that Bonus Round taping supposed to work? They start taping a live show at 10AM and fans wander in to sit down during the taping? Is it press only?

Blain on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I made a Google Calendar format version of the calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=hf5tn8qidv42qjk7futkpi6clk%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles

To add it to your Google Calendar, use the link in the lower right hand corner.

Also, the ics link if you want to import it into some other calendar software (iCal, Outlook, Sunbird).

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sweet, calendar should work splendidly with my Android.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    PimpMethodPimpMethod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think I can go to every one on my list so here I go.

Friday:

Working with fan to create better video games

Prepare to drop (Halo 3:ODST A.K.A. Halo Recon)

Live on stage demo: assassin creed 2 / *splinter cell conviction

Saturday:

Medium is the Massage:story Matter

Enforcement on Xbox: Tales from the din

Hal Halpin and Adam Sessler Talking Games

Sex in videogames: a comparatie study

I Got Next - Screening and Panel

Sunday:

The future of gaming: You Don't Know What You're Going to Get

Game Culture: How Gamers Impact Society & How Policy Affects Gamer Culture

Murder, Sex and Drugs

WTF is the matter with videogames?

* It has been pust back next year

PimpMethod on
  • Options
    DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a question about the panels at PAX.

As it turns out, there are quite a lot of them I want to attend, but with 75,000 people registered, how hard will it be to actually get into any of them? If I schedule two back-to-back, will I be able to get into the second? Or do I need to allow 1-2 hours before each panel to get in line?

My only real experience with conferences with panels were professional ones where there would be 10+ at a time, so there was generally room for attendees. With only 2-3 at a time and so many people attending, I'm worried I won't actually be able to get in.

I imagine I'll have to drop some of these to eat, or see stuff elsewhere in the conference, and that's fine. Here's what piqued my interest at first glance, though:
    Fri Sep 4
    10:30am – 11:30am Game Developer Parents - Wolfman Theater
    11:30am – 12:30pm Post-N'Gai, Post-EGM Video Game Journalism, or Where Do We Go Now - Serpent Theatre
    1pm – 2pm PAX 2009 Keynote Ron Gilbert - Main Theatre
    2pm – 3pm Penny Arcade Q&A #1 - Main Theatre
    3:30pm – 4:30pm Prepare to Drop - Serpent Theatre
    6pm – 7pm Original Gangstas: Why Table-Top Gaming Still Packs Heat - Unicorn Theatre
    7pm – 8pm Designing for Failure: Why Winning Sucks - Raven Theatre
    9pm – 10pm Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids - The Science, The Opinions, and the Lies - Wolfman Theatre
    9:30pm – 1:30am Friday Night Concerts! - Main Theatre

Sat Sep 5
    9:30pm – 1:30am Friday Night Concerts! - Main Theatre
    10:30am – 11:30am Losing Should be Fun - Wolfman Theatre
    12pm – 1pm Now What? Keeping Community Engaged - Unicorn Theatre
    1pm – 2pm Medium is the Massage: Story Matters - Serpent Theatre
    2:30pm – 3:30pm Mission Architect: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Story - Raven Theatre
    3:30pm – 4:30pm Star Wars: The Old Republic live demonstration - Main Theatre
    4:30pm – 5:30pm The Art of the Dungeon Master - Wolfman Theater
    6pm – 7pm RoosterTeeth - Main Theatre
    7pm – 8pm The Giant Bomb Re-Reunion Tour: Tour Legit Tour Quit - Serpent Theatre
    9:30pm – 1am Saturday Night Concerts! - Main Theatre

Sun Sep 6
    9:30pm – 1am Saturday Night Concerts! - Main Theatre
    10am – 11am Beyond Dungeons and Dragons - Raven Theatre
    11am – 12pm Star Wars: The Old Republic live demonstration - Main Theater
    12:30pm – 1:30pm The Second Penny Arcade Panel! - Main Theatre
    2:30pm – 3:30pm Wil Wheaton presents: THE AWESOME HOUR!!1 - Serpent Theatre
    4pm – 5pm WTF is the matter with videogames? - Raven Theatre
    6pm – 12am Twitter Meetup - Garage Pool and Billiards

DMmagic on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MrPulsar wrote: »
    No Guitar Hero or Rock Band tournament this year, eh? :(

That's a shame, always my favorite thing to do at PAX. Anyone know the exact reasoning for that?

Pulsar, I have nothing to do with organizing PAX, I attend.
    However, my guessing is that Beatles Rock Band just hit, and funny enough Guitar Hero 5 will drop Sep. 1. My guess would be that they just aren't showing anything because it's already out. But, it would still be good for them to come just because of the sheer number of people. Good advertising, especially being able to play the games.

Edit: err...thought you were talking publishers. Missed the 'tournament' part.
    Rock Band tourney thread is now here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=98269

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So.. this is what my schedule is looking like so far..

Friday:
    10 - Get there, roam around, get lunch.
    12-1 Working with fans to create better games
    1:30-2:30 Aion Panel
    2:30-3:30 Why game communities suck
    3:30-6 - Check out expo floor, get early dinner.
    6-7 Culture wins in Game Marketing
    7-8 Design for Failure, Why winning sucks
    9-10 Psychology, Video games, and Kids

Saturday:
    10 Meeting up with various forum people. Lunch.
    12-1 Now what? Keeping Community engaged
    1-2 What recruiters and hiring look for.
    2 and on - Visiting the Expo floor

I might try to catch the Rooster Teeth and Omegathons Saturday but something tells me I won't be leaving the expo floor except to eat and when they finally kick me out. Friday night also depends on if I can get in on the Aion launch party, which might fudge up my plans in the evening - but it'll be worth it. :D I'll check out the concerts if I can get to them and they interest me.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    DryakDryak Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Where can I find the booth layout plans?

Dryak on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just heard about L4D2's new campaign being shown off at PAX. I hope we get to play some of it, that would be cool. Either way, I'm excited about it.

Aside from that, I'm taking the same approach to PAX as I do to just about everything. I'm just gonna show up and see what happens. There are some things in Seattle I want to see while I'm there, outside of PAX too.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah, I just went to the print shop to print out the schedule but I didn't realize that there was a map available.

Is PAX planning to give out maps of the convention center? I would appreciate it if it happens.

Senicks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There's programs in all of the swag bags attendees get.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    RaykefireRaykefire Devil by the Deed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    I made a Google Calendar format version of the calendar: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=hf5tn8qidv42qjk7futkpi6clk%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles

To add it to your Google Calendar, use the link in the lower right hand corner.

Also, the ics link if you want to import it into some other calendar software (iCal, Outlook, Sunbird).

Thank you so much! Now I can use either my google calendar or the PAX safari App on my iphone.

Raykefire on
    3dS: 2852-8431-6782
    XBox: Raykefire
This discussion has been closed.