As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions Online - Zero trans fat hero spread

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They keep changing the difficulty of mobs lately, so it's hard to say what the pace is, but even with the currently overpowered mobs thing it goes a lot faster than, say, WoW, and though they do have some generic instances they aren't the nightmare that CoX's are. Most of the questing is done out-of-doors, however.

Second question I have no idea.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Insance maps are better, but you're not running instances as much, more outdoor questing. Some static larger dungeon instances as well. (Think of WoW Dungeons).

The CoH Equivalent of newpaper missions are pretty much on par with CoH, but unlike CoH most people don't have reason to do them.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    fodderboy wrote: »
    I'm on the fence about CO, couple of questions.

I played CoX, and i love the super hero/villian idea. It was the mission structure that killed it for me. The bland but randomly generated maps got really blah for me. And was frustrating if it needed a complete clear and i missed that one baddie somewhere along the way. The action seemed kinda slow.

How are the missions in CO compared to CoX? Are they faster paced? Better designed or just more of the same with higher rez textures?

2nd question. With WoW i can copy the whole game folder, on to another computer and start playing. Can this be done with CO? If not what is the easiest way to move a game install so i don't have to re-download the client?

Thanks.

Much fewer instanced missions. Which I guess is a curse and a blessing since it creates competition for NPC's needed to complete missions. Though they have been slowly fixing this issue by giving credit to all participants.

And when you do go into an instance, it's definitly a lot smaller than the CoX ones.

I really do miss the CoH villain groups though. They had a lot of style.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    Angry wrote: »
    why am i downloading a 624meg patch?

Daeke just tweeted:
    Those of you attempting to patch and seeing a 600MB patch. STOP. Wait till the servers are up, and THEN patch.

http://twitter.com/Cryptic_Daeke/status/3742152023
    I may or may not be at home also trying to connect.. >.>

Soo, contest items?
    wwdq39.jpg
    FYI: I'm not feeling so sick anymore so expect some stuff in the future. :D

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yoshua wrote: »

I played CoX, and i love the super hero/villian idea. It was the mission structure that killed it for me. The bland but randomly generated maps got really blah for me. And was frustrating if it needed a complete clear and i missed that one baddie somewhere along the way. The action seemed kinda slow.

How are the missions in CO compared to CoX? Are they faster paced? Better designed or just more of the same with higher rez textures?

2nd question. With WoW i can copy the whole game folder, on to another computer and start playing. Can this be done with CO? If not what is the easiest way to move a game install so i don't have to re-download the client?

Thanks.

Much fewer instanced missions. Which I guess is a curse and a blessing since it creates competition for NPC's needed to complete missions. Though they have been slowly fixing this issue by giving credit to all participants.

And when you do go into an instance, it's definitly a lot smaller than the CoX ones.

Only the low level ones are much smaller. Once you get to 30ish they are equal to mid range CoH. Haven't seen anything as large as big CoT maps yet though (except for lairs)

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009

Meh.

CoX - Clockworks, Hellions, Skulls, Trolls, Tsu, Rikti, Family, Tso, Freakshow, Wandering Earth.

CO - Purple Gang, Irradiates, Foxbattlebots, Ah... oriental gang, crazy card deck themed dudes, zombies, VIPER, Canadian militia?, Ghosts, more I don't know about...

Edit: I am in on Test.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    CoX - Clockworks, Hellions, Skulls, Trolls, Tsu, Rikti, Family, Tso, Freakshow, Wandering Earth
    You forgot: 5th Column.

The best themed group in CoX... before they went poof. :|

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Meh.

CoX - Clockworks, Hellions, Skulls, Trolls, Tsu, Rikti, Family, Tso, Freakshow, Wandering Earth.

CO - Purple Gang, Irradiates, Foxbattlebots, Ah... oriental gang, crazy card deck themed dudes, zombies, VIPER, Canadian militia?, Ghosts, more I don't know about...

Evil fish monsters, Qularr, Gadroon , DEMON, PSI, fire demons, escaped prisoners, lizard men, robot cowboys, Grondlings/Irradiates, Sasquatches, Furries, Destroids...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    And only now do they take down the site and put up an emergency splash screen.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Xabora wrote: »
    CoX - Clockworks, Hellions, Skulls, Trolls, Tsu, Rikti, Family, Tso, Freakshow, Wandering Earth

They are coming back, with one mother of a mad-on over the Council of Niktus.

Edit: Oh test client, how I love your sexy 150ms per frame!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

They are coming back, with one mother of a mad-on over the Council of Niktus.

Edit: Oh test client, how I love your sexy 150ms per frame!

Sooo... where do I get ye olde test clientus?

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    At this moment, if you haven't already signed up to play on test you can't. You need to click something on the Champions website, and it is down.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Thanks.

On 1, there are patrol missions, which sound a bit like CoX's standard fare (never player City of Heroes/Villians) but they are a sideline thing that rate "suplementary" at best, and are definintly not the standard. Standard is Open world Missions + structured instances.

Don't know about 2 though.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    At this moment, if you haven't already signed up to play on test you can't. You need to click something on the Champions website, and it is down.
    Figures...

EDIT: Yes you can copy the entire game folder, just delete the subfolder .patch when you do.
    It'll rediscover its location and make a new .patch folder.

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There are furries I guess, they haven't infringed on my enjoyment of the game though. And there are far, far, far more non-furries.

The servers have had some issues, I cannot lie. But it hasn't been horrible.

Yeah, I saw a lot more Vore-ians (is that a word) there last night. Good, good stuff I tell you. If you guys are having problems leveling up I definitely recommend heading to Club Caprice. May not be a "fun" game going on in there, but woah, some entertaining and interesting stuff to read.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    osiriswarposiriswarp Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Get home from work. Server down. awww :(

osiriswarp on
    forumskillzeb5.gif
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    There are furries I guess, they haven't infringed on my enjoyment of the game though. And there are far, far, far more non-furries.

Yeah, I saw a lot more Vore-ians (is that a word) there last night. Good, good stuff I tell you. If you guys are having problems leveling up I definitely recommend heading to Club Caprice. May not be a "fun" game going on in there, but woah, some entertaining and interesting stuff to read.

I for one can't wait for the Pocket D-esque screenshots of hilarity.

The Reptilian Nazis (who are like WW2 Nazies) destroyed planet Reptilia.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I am not stating an opinion on if it is a word, but if it is I don't think it means what you think it means.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I am not stating an opinion on if it is a word, but if it is I don't think it means what you think it means.

I didn't think the game mechanics even supported that.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you want to Test, click this link.

http://www.champions-online.com/node/483355

@mrflippy Wait for Bloodmoon, may then eh?

Edit:

My opinions on furries: "You should probably hook up with a good therapist."
    My opinion on vore: "Dude, go straight to the nearest mental health facility, do not pass go, do not collect $200!"

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »

I didn't think the game mechanics even supported that.

Srsly. Bite only goes so far.

Maybe it is the rank 3 version.

There IS a Cannibalism emote....

D:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Thanks, I was wondering where that buggering link was.

Xabora on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Home from work, so I'm gonna start working on the OP now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [19:02] Peons: So devs have been very quiet on the forums today
    [19:03] Peons: It's worrying :P
    :(

Xabora on
  • Options
    MimasMimas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Meh.

Evil fish monsters, Qularr, Gadroon , DEMON, PSI, fire demons, escaped prisoners, lizard men, robot cowboys, Grondlings/Irradiates, Sasquatches, Furries, Destroids...

Snake Gulch with the robot cowboys is probably my favorite thing Ive seen so far in the game. I mean, an amusement park taken over by robot cowboys, thats hard to top.

Mimas on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    [19:02] Peons: So devs have been very quiet on the forums today
    [19:03] Peons: It's worrying :P
    :(

I choose to believe it's because they're furiously busy FIXING THE SERVERS!

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mimas wrote: »

Meh.

Snake Gulch with the robot cowboys is probably my favorite thing Ive seen so far in the game. I mean, an amusement park taken over by robot cowboys, thats hard to top.

Lovestruck, SINGING, robot cowboys!

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Lovestruck, SINGING, robot cowboys![/QUOTE]

There is nothing finer than the one tavern with Robot Cabaret.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Lovestruck, SINGING, robot cowboys!

There is nothing finer than the one tavern with Robot Cabaret.

Well, they could be doing the Can Can instead of the Soulja Boy dance, but I can live with it.

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So... I hear the servers are still down. And the dev tracker is still broken on the forums.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    aeiouyaeiouy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone else listening to We Are The Champions on a loop?

aeiouy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Does Smoke Grenade do much in PvE?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    aeiouy wrote: »

If by that you mean "My entire music library on shuffle" then yes.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There was a lot of that on Tuesday.

Akinos on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone else not had their characters display under "My Characters" on the website for a while? Mine were for a while but they haven't been for the last couple days at least

also I bought a new widescreen monitor today and was all excited to see the game in glorious wide-o-vision, but the servers are down. nooo

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Was that before or after the patch from hell?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Edit:

My opinion on vore: "Dude, go straight to the nearest mental health facility, do not pass go, do not collect $200!"

What the hell is a vore anyways?

Yoshua on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Was that before or after the patch from hell?

I am not sure which patch you are referring to.

Akinos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Edit:

You should do some google searches.

Especially if you're at work.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Edit:

google image search man.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu