Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Bastards have landed! [X-Com LP]

1565758596062»

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Central Core Report: Analysis of combat data indicates that Aedan has taken more plasma fire than all of Team Ratio's human members combined.

Please remember thank him for your continued existence.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • FishmanFishman I find your lack of Hail Hydra! disturbingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Well, you've reviewed the mission logs. Have you made your decisions, Colonel?"

"I have".

UFO%20Defense%202009-08-28%2020-04-31-99.jpg

"Some interesting choices here. You're picking Bedlam as your replacement?"

"Karl is the better soldier, but Bedlam is the better leader. Either would do well as a unit leader, as shown by Karls successes in Ratio".

"You also seem to have confidence in those soldiers picked up from Ratio and placed within Ultima over some people who have been there longer..."

"They may have been there longer, but in practice msuitepyon and Ivar have more missions and more exposure to some of the more deadly enemies we're facing. The promotion is deserved".

"And some recognition for a few remaining back at Ribaldry..."

"I promote by merit, Director. Regardless of where the soldier may be serving".

"Indeed, and I'm glad to hear it. Very well, Colonel, consider these recommendations approved... or rather, congratulations,
    Commander Fallout. Dismissed".

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man why don't you guys die more?

:(

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Which one of you pissant newbies is going to shine my boots?

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    what the fuck

giving the rookie my fucking kills?

Sir, if shit doesn't change around here pronto I'm gunna start chucking plasma grenades into the exhaust vents

Sir

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Central Core would like to congratulate those few worthy soldiers who have received promotions.

Your new rank now places you higher in the HWPs protection algorthim.

Enjoy your enhanced importance.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • MorivethMoriveth Nobody suspects a thing... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hell yeah, Captain! 8-)

• VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HOLY

SHIT

BALLS

Drinks are on me!

Also, anyone have a mint?

• IvarIvar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good start, Moose.

msuitepyon: Sergeant-5!

• FishmanFishman I find your lack of Hail Hydra! disturbingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    From the desk of the Director:

So this thread is about to be locked, but before it does, there's just a few things I wanted to say.

First of all, thanks to all readers and fans, all the posts and discussion, comments and criticism. While I genuinely enjoy playing the game, the reason I write up posts - and the reason I enjoy doing so - is because of the feeling I get when something I write is enjoyed appreciated by the readers and followers of the thread. It's not always easy to find the time and effort to make regular updates, but I try my best because of the response I get from you guys; it means a lot to me that something I create is valued and looked forward to by others.

To be honest, I've probably played less X-Com this past year then I usually do, simply because I'm taking the time between missions to write them up. And while it's true that the game doesn't actually have these sounds or this story, inside my head this is the tale of every game I've ever played. The individual triumph of soldiers, the classic tales of triumph and sorrow - you've let me try different styles and methods to convey the enjoyment I experience when I play the game, and that experience is almost as enjoyable as playing the game itself, so once again , thank you.

When I first started this I wasn't really sure how well it would be received, or what I was getting myself into. I thought it might be a few months of work - generally I can play through the game in just a few weeks, and I could jump around a bit and skip ahead, but here I am just shy of a year later, and while I haven't always been as regular as I would like, I'm still going strong. The response has been overwhelming, and I've felt obligated to cover everything for you guys, so that I can tell the story of every enlisted soldier, from the most decorated officer to the newest rookie. Each one of you might only last a handful of missions, but I hope to tell each of your stories in full, because it's what you deserve. I'll admit, I do tend to favour 'onscreen' time for people who post regularly in the thread - it's the only way I can tell if people are reading and paying attention, so if you want more action, post about it.

It's been a fun time - putting forumers into the field of battle, watching as lurkers and attention-whores alike get thrown into the furnace of war and seeing who survives. There's been some moments of surprise and frustration - I apologise to those I knowingly put into positions of danger, for the stupid mistakes I made, and the lives that were lost. I also have got to enjoy your triumphs - the unlikely shots, lucky moments, the uncanny survivals - I'm absolutely convinced that the game won't let Rankenphile die, because not only has he never seemingly suffered any damage from getting shot, the one time he may have died the game in that very instant chose to crash rather than play the death animation.

I'd like to put out some thanks to those whose efforts I've found helpful behind the screen, as it were - to Moriveth for telling me I should totally do this last year at PAX, and also hooking me up with some hosting at Flying Stove (and also Janson, who is inseparable from FS in my mind); to Volyu and NaC, for their excellent-if-infrequent Poland Total War LP, which at least means I compete for attention every now and then; to all the regular posters in the thread; Fallout, Vivixenne and the incomparable Theidar, whose unique voice in the thread is something I constantly look forward to; but essentally everyone who posted, be it once or dozens of times with words of support and encouragement. Finally, I should thank my wife, for letting me indulge this seemingly random waste of time and effort for nothing more than the acclaim of a bunch of random strangers on the internet, most of whom I will probably never meet.

I'll be starting up a new thread in a few days time; as we continue, I'll be changing a few things - in theory for the better - and hopefully coming up with a few new things to try along the way as we continue in the struggle against our shadowy opponents. I'm hoping I might find a few more ways to tell the story, and I am trying to find the room to bring people from the KIA list back into the fray in the hopefully not-to-distant future. It's been an absolute blast this past year, and I'm willing to keep going for as long as you're still interested in following along.

Thank you,

Fishman,
    Director of Operations,
    X-Com UFO Defense

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • IvarIvar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    /raises a glass of zombie ale

steam_sig.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • Territorial OakTerritorial Oak Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Excellent!
    Thank you Mr Fish! It's an amazing feat to keep this level of storytelling going for so long!

• Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Keep us safe from them probes, fishman.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel Building an empire OsloRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fishman, this thread alone completely changed my outlook on what "roleplaying" can be. It's well written and often an enjoyable read. Thank you.

Fuck off and die.
  • One Thousand DicksOne Thousand Dicks :D! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Absolutely fantastic.
    Spoiler:

• RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seeing as I'm still drunk from the party I threw for surviving my first "Breach the alien craft" assignment I'll toast to that!

In all seriousness though this is easily my favourite thread, class act the whole way fish.

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Without a doubt the best Let's Play ever.

Keep on Fishman.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread is awesome in every single way possible.

I am also pleasantly surprised that no one has died under my command yet.

To keep this keep this trend going, i'm requesting power armor units for my team.

Spoiler:
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Definitely my favourite thread... its the reason I signed up for PA, even though I've been lurking for years. Cheers Fishman!

Guys? Hay guys?
    steam_sig.png
  • Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love that I can be gone for almost a year and this thread is still going on and still entertaining me.

Can't wait to see more Fishman.

Clowns.jpg
  • IoloIolo i not L Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Viva Fishman (and Mrs. Fishman for indulgence of the highest order)!!!

UcOIsIH.gif
    Not buying or backing any games for myself in 2014.
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Somehow I never see this thread, what is wrong with me

How could I not follow it after a post like that

Of course I'd like to be a part of this still

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Without a doubt the best Let's Play ever.

Keep on Fishman.
    The only one that comes close in my opinion is themocaw's Fallout Tactics LP.

It'd probably be a tie if he ever finished it properly.

steam_sig.png
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    can't wait to get into the action for the next thread

hopefully I will not die like a bitch

4445171660_a11796abb7_o.jpg
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    uean wrote: »
    Definitely my favourite thread... its the reason I signed up for PA, even though I've been lurking for years. Cheers Fishman!
    Same here! Though I've been lurking for more like a year, singular. And I signed up specifically to make this post in support of this LP! Fantastic job, Fishman, keep it up. It's been consistently a delight to follow along to.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    This is genuinely the best fucking LP thread I've ever encountered.

Also, I'm not sure why you're so fucking surprised I'm a goddamn immortal. I've been trying to fucking tell you that I'm untouchable this entire fucking thread, now get me into the fray and let me reap some alien souls!

• guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rank

have you learned nothing from the death of Nap?

even gods may die

4445171660_a11796abb7_o.jpg
  • FearghaillFearghaill Midgard I hear some secret agents only get cars.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !signup CQC or Sniper

I have waited too long to get in on this.

lokisig.png
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fishman is the king of all LPs

Tumbling
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Baka!
    Belief in the heart of friendship and you'll always be kawaii Tommy-Chan!

• <:__)~&lt;:__)~ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Very nice Fishman :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wooooooooo! Promotion :D

This means Im second in command behind fallout, right? Because that is pretty awesome right there.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread needs to be archived.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It needs to be released as a full motion picture.

4484-7718-8470
  • BrogeyBrogey High Maintenance Santa Monica, CASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Well done, Fishman, you are the best! This adventure has been an absolute joy to read this past year and I'm looking forward to its continuation. Thanks so much for sharing this with the forums, and including me in your epic. :)

PS. Lucas, I'll kill you if you never finish this. :P

Fitocracy: bogey1 Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom
    PSN: Bogestrom

Wampa Milk lives!!!
This discussion has been closed.