As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Potato with roots growing - Still good?

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty self explanatory. I've got some potatoes, there are a few very small "roots" coming out of some of the pores. My mother is convinced we'll all be poisoned if we eat them, I think they're still good. Anyone know for sure?

Underdog on

• SeiphonSeiphon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    now I'm no expert, but arent potatoes part of the deadly night shade family? If my info's correct then yes, if you ate those roots you may indeed be poisoned. Luckily for you, all you need to do is cut off those pesky poisoness roots and you taters should be fine. I am irish, I should know potatoes.

Seiphon on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-vegetables/organic-potato/potato-sprouts-are-they-good.html
    Potato sprouts are certainly not good. When potatoes sprout, the starch in the potatoes is converted into sugar. It is suggested that if the potato is firm, it has most of the nutrients intact and can be eaten after removing the sprouted part. However, if the potato is shrunken and wrinkled, it should not be eaten.

A new bag of potatoes is what, $3?

oldsak on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oldsak wrote: »
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-vegetables/organic-potato/potato-sprouts-are-they-good.html
    Potato sprouts are certainly not good. When potatoes sprout, the starch in the potatoes is converted into sugar. It is suggested that if the potato is firm, it has most of the nutrients intact and can be eaten after removing the sprouted part. However, if the potato is shrunken and wrinkled, it should not be eaten.

A new bag of potatoes is what, $3?

They're still firm and looking fresh, sprouts aside. I'm kinda on a schedule right now so they'll have to do. I'll be diligent about removing them and sorting out the good from the bad. Thanks.

Underdog on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plant it and grow some new potatoes. I always to see if this would work.

VisionOfClarity on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whenever my potatos start sprouting eyes I just pull them off and bake them anyway. I'm not dead.

But I wouldn't eat it if it is shriveled and gross.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Of course it works. It's how you get new potatoes. Easiest vegetable to grow, until the dreaded potato bugs appear from whatever dimension they live in, to feast on the potato leafs.

As for sprouts on potatoes, cut it open. If there's a greenish hue on the inside, around the skin, don't eat it, as it germinating (or something). If it's still all whitish, you're good to go.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009
    Awesome. Thank you for alllaying my fears of poisoning everyone at my neice's 1st birthday.

Underdog on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    whenever my potatos start sprouting eyes I just pull them off and bake them anyway. I'm not dead.

But I wouldn't eat it if it is shriveled and gross.

This, basically.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    Underdog wrote: »
    Awesome. Thank you for alllaying my fears of poisoning everyone at my neice's 1st birthday.

One more thing: the longer the eyes are (the sprouts) the less likely it is to be edible.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009
    Luckily they were all very short to the point of being stubby. Too late now! 10 lbs of potatoes and 4 sweet potatoes have been made into mash. We'll see how it goes.

Underdog on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We always grew our own potatoes and we eat potatoes about 6 times a week, so i'm full of 'tater facts:
    they're pretty much edible untill the're supersupermushy. Potatoes with lil' roots are harmless. Snap off the roots; enjoy.

if you plant the potatoes you will get new potatoes, but usually of such an inferior stock that won't want to be eating those.

as mentioned, green potatoes are a no-go, but those rarely make it to the store shelves.

another interesting potato-related joke: if you ever seriously want to fuck with somebody, hide a potato behind his cupboard. After a few weeks weird dark brown potato-goo will start dripping out and it will smell like a fucking corpse.

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited September 2009
    Another thing: keep potatoes and onions in different places. Not sure why, but they both go bad faster.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    14 pounds of starch for a 1 year olds birthday party? Are you making a potato cake? And yes, everything will be fine.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Might be a big family gathering who loves mashed potatoes.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • erraticrabbiterraticrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Doesn't everyone love potatoes, in every way?

erraticrabbit on
    steam_sig.png
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Another thing: keep potatoes and onions in different places. Not sure why, but they both go bad faster.

One of them, potatoes I think, produce a gas that makes the onions spoil

Alpine on
    edited September 2009
    14 pounds of starch for a 1 year olds birthday party? Are you making a potato cake? And yes, everything will be fine.

Hey man, I wasn't in charge. I was invited and then asked to make mashed taters and handed a 10 lb bag. The sweet potatoes were our addition because it gives the whole thing a nice colour. I've actually got a lot of pictures of the Korean heavy fare if anyone is interested.

Underdog on
    edited September 2009
    Another good potato fact (that I stole from some cooking show): put an apple with your potatoes, and make sure the bag is open. They last pretty much forever. I suspect it's wizardry.

Also, if you've never had a ground beef and mashed potato cake, you aren't living.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are you perchance referring to shepherd's pie? Or some other delicious deliciousness?

Cyvros on
    edited September 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Are you perchance referring to shepherd's pie? Or some other delicious deliciousness?

Nope. An honest to god layered cake. Instead of chocolate or vanilla or whatever, it has meat. The icing is made out of mashed potatoes, and usually you add some ketchup on top.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009
    Holy crap. Do you have pictures or recipes? I've got potatoes at home that need to go somewhere.

Cyvros on
    edited September 2009
    Holy crap. Do you have pictures or recipes? I've got potatoes at home that need to go somewhere.

I didn't make it, so I'm not sure. The whole thing tasted very similar to meat pie or sheperd's pie, but the meat was a bit firmer. The thing was 6 or 7 inches tall, with the potatoes seeming to keep everything together. The meat kind of had a sauce that seemed to be keeping it together.

You could always just try making it like a sheperd's pie in the shape of a cake.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009
    I think I may have a problem here in that I keep getting visualising a wedding cake. With miniature Mr and Mrs Potato Heads on the top.

If I figure out how to make a decent meat/potato cake, I'll PM you. :D

Cyvros on
    edited September 2009
    I think I may have a problem here in that I keep getting visualising a wedding cake. With miniature Mr and Mrs Potato Heads on the top.

If I figure out how to make a decent meat/potato cake, I'll PM you. :D

I think there's definitely growth potential for a potato wedding cake business.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009
    Bridal gowns and confetti made out of potato skins. Recycled, compacted green potatoes turned into wedding rings.

Cyvros on
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    potatoes, the new bacon

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I did this.

About 5 months later I dug up a bunch of small baby potatoes.
    They were awesome, but lacking in size.

Deducting the labor costs, I pretty much just 'broke even' (in terms of potato volume)

I also stuck an onion in the ground this year. I'll probably dig it up in a month or two.
    It's growing, but don't know how big it is.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Rhino wrote: »

I did this.

About 5 months later I dug up a bunch of small baby potatoes.
    They were awesome, but lacking in size.

Deducting the labor costs, I pretty much just 'broke even' (in terms of potato volume)

I also stuck an onion in the ground this year. I'll probably dig it up in a month or two.
    It's growing, but don't know how big it is.

I always found that my white onions were smaller than they should be, but my green onions had huge bulbs. It was weird.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ripening bananas seem to accellerate the molding of other foods as well. I imagine it's the gasses released.

LaOs on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

sheperd's pie is lamb, cottage pie is beef.

EskimoDave on
    edited September 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

In North America, sheperd's pie is beef, or pork, due to the relative lack of sheep.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009
    LaOs wrote: »

Ripening bananas seem to accellerate the molding of other foods as well. I imagine it's the gasses released.

I usually just refrigerate my onions now anyways. They seem to keep a lot better, and don't make me tear up near as much.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009

In North America, sheperd's pie is beef, or pork, due to the relative lack of sheep.

I know, I'm Canadian. It doesn't make it any more wrong.

EskimoDave on
    edited September 2009

No worse than what people pass off as poutine.

Cyd Cyclone on
    edited September 2009

Also in Australia, although I'm not sure why, since we don't exactly have a lack of sheep. I'm tempted to make a New Zealand joke at this point, probably involving a reference to the pie-fucking scene in American Pie, but it'd be lame.
    potatoes, the new bacon
    Potato salt. For when your potato chips and crisps don't taste enough like potato.

Cyvros on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Also in Australia, although I'm not sure why, since we don't exactly have a lack of sheep. I'm tempted to make a New Zealand joke at this point, probably involving a reference to the pie-fucking scene in American Pie, but it'd be lame.
    potatoes, the new bacon
    Potato salt. For when your potato chips and crisps don't taste enough like potato.

Silly Australian. Crisps are chips. And chips are called fries. [strike]French[/strike] Freedom fries.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited September 2009

I miss poutine so much. I rarely ate it, but I liked having it as an option.

EskimoDave on
    edited September 2009

I miss poutine so much. I rarely ate it, but I liked having it as an option.

You never miss a thing until it's gone.

Cyd Cyclone on