As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CON PLAGUE!

• Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    I, too, have the ConSARS. It seems pretty mild. Stuffy nose yesterday, scratchy throat and cough. I can feel it moving into a chest cough though. I'll probably be fine in 2-3 days at the most.

It's my shoulders that are the worst though. I'm probably going to need a massage after all this.

But really it was absolutely worth it. A small price to pay for an amazing weekend.

I blame you! I may have picked it up after all. I'm going to bed. :(

Arminas on
  • Options
    VaxVax Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Ugh, I too wound up with PAX-SARS. Hit me hard last night, and today was a challenge getting to the airport, etc. Some folks have said it's mild, but I would disagree on that... Small price to pay for the awesome weekend though.

Vax on
  • Options
    daemongarsodaemongarso Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    on the drive back to Utah, I had a really tough time, in and out of fever/chills/sweats, bad cough, post nasal drip.
    My wife has a bad cough and itchy throat. Different plague than mine. Maybe our respective illnesses are going to combine and form Piglets. I'll get tested for Piggy flu tomorrow.

daemongarso on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was broadcasting the entire event live and I was sick, so you could imagine what hell it was for me having to talk to people and do interviews non-stop for 3 days with a throat that felt like it was full of glass and congestion so bad it was pushing on my ears.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is anyone else having trouble finding things that work? I've taken 800mg of Ibuprofen (which normally lasts me 12 hours) and it only kept the pain at bay for about 2. I took the QFC Nyquil knock-off and it put me to sleep for a couple of hours (only removed about 75% of the pain, did nothing for the fever or back/headache). Normally Nyquil puts me down for at least 15 hours, sometimes 20. I'm awake now, can't go back to sleep, because the pain is pretty much completely back.

Has anyone else been luckier? I'm not tempted by the popsicle idea since that'll just give the sore throat germs something to feed on. Right now I'm sticking with honey-menthol cough drops, since those seem to help my throat. Tea seems to help wtih the coughing, especially if it has slippery elm in it.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble finding things that work? I've taken 800mg of Ibuprofen (which normally lasts me 12 hours) and it only kept the pain at bay for about 2. I took the QFC Nyquil knock-off and it put me to sleep for a couple of hours (only removed about 75% of the pain, did nothing for the fever or back/headache). Normally Nyquil puts me down for at least 15 hours, sometimes 20. I'm awake now, can't go back to sleep, because the pain is pretty much completely back.

Has anyone else been luckier? I'm not tempted by the popsicle idea since that'll just give the sore throat germs something to feed on. Right now I'm sticking with honey-menthol cough drops, since those seem to help my throat. Tea seems to help wtih the coughing, especially if it has slippery elm in it.

I was dual fisting halls and chloraseptic spray with the occasional painkiller so that I could keep functioning on camera. It made the event survivable.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, and nibbling on almonds and whole-wheat crackers (no salt, or reduce sodium is best) seems to be helping me keep my energy relatively in place, not to mention padding the stomach for all the pain meds.

They're also 'smooth', for lack of a better term. They don't leave a gummy or sludgy feeling in my throat.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Oh, and nibbling on almonds and whole-wheat crackers (no salt, or reduce sodium is best) seems to be helping me keep my energy relatively in place, not to mention padding the stomach for all the pain meds.

They're also 'smooth', for lack of a better term. They don't leave a gummy or sludgy feeling in my throat.

Oh yeah I also bought a crate of Ensure to drink during the show.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    on the drive back to Utah, I had a really tough time, in and out of fever/chills/sweats, bad cough, post nasal drip.
    My wife has a bad cough and itchy throat. Different plague than mine. Maybe our respective illnesses are going to combine and form Piglets. I'll get tested for Piggy flu tomorrow.

Oh man..chills while driving. You must,ve had the heat at MAX and it STILL was friggin cold!D:

I had a nasty episode of the chills when I came back from a weekend July 09 trip in Vegas. Nothing but Chills, vomiting, and everything else that crawled outta Satan's Asshole.

Hope you feel better soon.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I felt a bit off as of Saturday, ended up passed out for a spell in BYOC, but didn't think too much of it.

So, on Sunday, I made my hike to the convention center in the rain, feeling "okay" for starters. My condition worsened from there; flu-like symptoms manifested while I was in line for the Borderlands demo -- indeed, my compatriots noted that, hunched over and wearing my hoodie, I looked like a L4D Hunter. (I made them promise to kill me before I bit anyone.)

Addled and feverish, it's a small wonder that I completed the demo at all, but I was still sane enough to realize "I should probably go home." Things get hazy from that point on -- it would seem that I did manage to pack up everything from BYOC, as it is now sitting in my living room. At some point in the car ride home, I recall my roommate quoting Reservoir Dogs at me. "You're not gonna die, say the fucking words!"

Given my low constitution score, I probably have the sinus cold and the flu-like thing. Lucky me.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    NiptacularNiptacular Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Is anybody sick? The vast majority of the party I went with left with varying degrees of sickness, and I heard that, according to Twitter, many other people are sick as well. Did the bug get you?

I didn't want to use my sick hours today but I will have to to benefit me in the long term. It really sucks not being able to go to work after taking a week long holiday, as there is important stuff for me to do these next two weeks at work =(

Niptacular on
  • Options
    Rocket TacoRocket Taco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I went to sleep early yesterday since I felt tired... I woke up four hours later with a raging headache, fever and coughing. Aspirin does not help.

How does it come on that fast, when it doesn't take effect until two days after the show?

Edit: okay, painkillers don't work, but intentionally effecting brain-freeze (cold shower, sucking ice cubes) does. This makes it somewhat scary to think about how hot my blood must be right now.

Rocket Taco on
  • Options
    loserishloserish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yup, got the PAXSARS. Horrible coughing and stuffed up head. Took today off of work, started noticing it yesterday on the way home. I slept for 13 hours straight last night.

loserish on
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've come down with sniffles, sore throat, and a headache. Overall pretty minor so far. My friend caught a cough/fever and couldn't make Sunday. :(

Aurora on
  • Options
    KholdstareKholdstare Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nerd flu hit me as well. Coughing, aching bones, nasty fever (102.7), headache, and general dizziness.

I left sunday morning and hit me as soon as I was home. Guess what? I'm currently missing my first day of college because of this damn flu.

Kholdstare on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm fairly sure that this bug is viral, not bacterial. That means you should be good to go with popsicles.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    DorkaliciousDorkalicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't start to feel well on Saturday.
    Sunday I felt so bad I slept in. Eventually, I walked to the con but when I came in I medicated myself for the night.
    On my flight home I medicated myself.
    Today I called out of work because I still don't feel well :( Vicks, flu medicine, soup, and sleep.. ..hopefully I'll make it into work tomorrow.

Dorkalicious on
  • Options
    tthayertthayer Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Fever broke a couple of hours ago!

I'm not going to work until I can walk in a straight line, though.

tthayer on
  • Options
    the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Both myself and TheDoctor1 caught the milder, cold symptom version of the PAX. First day back at work has not been fun for me. :(

the_stamy on
  • Options
    pagerunnerpagerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    *cough*

....*raises hand*

pagerunner on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ayup. Hit me yesterday.

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    PimpMethodPimpMethod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Weird I thought it was my alleges. What is this the PAX cold?

PimpMethod on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Crap, I started coughing last night, stuffy nose this morning. Been doing nasal irrigation.

I don't get sick very often, but it usually takes me a while to recover. Crossing my fingers now. Hopefully, we'll figure out if it's bacterial or viral soon.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I woke up this morning with a pretty bad chest cough.

This has been a pretty standard cold. Day 1 sniffles, Day 2 scratchy throat, Day 3 chest cough. It should start clearing up tomorrow and I'll definitely be fine by the end of the week.

Arminas: Maybe you shouldn't have eaten my lunch!

Asiina on
  • Options
    datadamagedatadamage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I also got a cold, but so PAXSARS so far. Here's hoping.

datadamage on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Started feeling pretty bad yesterday but had to get some stuff done, by last night I was feeling terrible. And sleeping last night was a bad experience as I developed a fever. However my incredible immune system said "No" to that and am actually feeling much better this morning. Still a little sickish but not nearly as bad as I did sleeping last night.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    ScootaScoota Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yep, I'm sick now thanks to PAX.

Scoota on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really think we only need one "OMG I'm sick this sucks" thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=100150

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    NeoNeo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone should put together a google maps page where people can put in a zip code and whether or not they got sick from PAX. It would be interesting to see if there is a pattern based on home location.

Neo on
    -- This space for rent --
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    About mid-way through Sunday it hit 3 out of my group of 4 pretty hard. 2 of us had pounding head aches and were getting moments of dizzyness - lightheadedness. Some coughing, a lot of sore throats.

By the time Sunday evening was rolling in we all left early, raided a Walgreens for drugs and were all asleep in Nyquil bliss by 7:30 Sunday night.

Fun started Monday morning, when I had to drive 3 of our 4 back to Spokane. Nothing like a 4+ hour drive while you are feeling light headed, sleepy, difficult to breathe without coughing.

Even better now that I am back at work today. Hitting the Airborn, Dayquil, Nyquil, Cough drop regime pretty hard right now.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My voice was gone on Thursday (damn hufflepuff's and there delightful chants), but other than that I felt fine...until this morning.

Cough's worse, body aches, no way of telling if I have a fever (crashing at the Omegabat's house so that I can look at schools in the area until Thursday, no clue where her thermometer is.)

It's probably the flu, quite possibly the piggy flu, but I have no health problems so as long a I get some rest I should be fine.

Wait, I'm in seattle with practically nothing to do eexcept hang out...FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I woke up this morning with a scratchy throat and instantly dosed myself with some sudafed and mucinex D... a few hours have gone by and I'm starting to get cravings for brains. halp.

chrisstie on
  • Options
    awitelintstaawitelintsta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This con plague definitely broke my intention to "bring nothing home but pictures and memories".

awitelintsta on
    http://awitelintsta.gamerdna.com/
    Roleplayer, Pirate, and 2009 Omeganaut :D
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    fever, body aches, nasty cough and congestion.

One friend has a 102 fever, another just has similar flu-like symptoms.

not bad for 3 people out of 14!

oh, and totally worth it!!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    xiloscentexiloscente Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sunday my boyfriend almost had to leave early cause he started having signs of nausea. By the end of the day, just a few hours later he was knocked out flat (I had to drive home). Monday morning rolled around and then I GOT SICK. Now it's Tuesday, and yeah I called in sick from work, though I think we are both better. Though he has the remains of a nasty cough and I am still suffering from dizzyness and a bad sore throat.

However, this year of PAX was still awesome. Even if we picked up the CONSARS, PAX PLAGUE, H1N1 PAX EDITION, whatever people have been calling it, it was still amazing.

Now, I am going back to my chamomile tea and Hello Kitty Online.

xiloscente on
  • Options
    xiloscentexiloscente Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sunday my boyfriend almost had to leave early cause he started having signs of nausea. By the end of the day, just a few hours later he was knocked out flat (I had to drive home). Monday morning rolled around and then I GOT SICK. Now it's Tuesday, and yeah I called in sick from work, though I think we are both better. Though he has the remains of a nasty cough and I am still suffering from dizzyness and a bad sore throat.

However, this year of PAX was still awesome. Even if we picked up the CONSARS, PAX PLAGUE, H1N1 PAX EDITION, whatever people have been calling it, it was still amazing.

Now, I am going back to my chamomile tea and Hello Kitty Online.

xiloscente on
  • Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Came down with some cold/flu like symptoms sunday night/ monday morning. Decided to get things done Monday anyway and went from bad to worse =( ... got home at 6pm monday, went straight to bed with Niquill and Tylenol PM, and this morning I'm feelings somewhat better. Specifically, a bad sore through, achy stomach, and mild headache.

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Light cough and sniffles, fever and aches. Really wishing I wasn't at work right now.

Houn on
  • Options
    DrBallsDrBalls Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fever? Check
    Body Aches? Check
    Dizzyness? Check
    Cold Chills? Check
    Cough? Check

Although I'm not sure how much of this is due to PAXflu and how much is due to getting very little sleep, drink and food between Thursday and Sunday.

It hit me from nowhere on Monday but it's not so bad now.

DrBalls on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    My voice was gone on Thursday (damn hufflepuff's and there delightful chants), but other than that I felt fine...until this morning.

Cough's worse, body aches, no way of telling if I have a fever (crashing at the Omegabat's house so that I can look at schools in the area until Thursday, no clue where her thermometer is.)

It's probably the flu, quite possibly the piggy flu, but I have no health problems so as long a I get some rest I should be fine.

Wait, I'm in seattle with practically nothing to do eexcept hang out...FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I probably gave it to you on Monday. I am so sorry.

redhalo on
This discussion has been closed.