As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey Hey You You I don't like your [chat] Thread

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    I've seen the kind of thing you post in the philosophy thread _J_. You gonna' get trounced.

Most importantly, you are not going to be able to argue historical facts with them. That is what they are most prepared against. Anything you claim, no matter how good the source, will be ignored as just anti-Mormon propaganda. They have their own alternate history of their religion that would put Dr. Who to shame.

Will all of their positions come back to a foundation of "The Book of Mormon / Joseph Smith says so"?

Essentially yes. They are at core arguing from a position of revealed truth. Though they do have an impressive amount of pseudoscience and falsified history from various Mormom professors to try and gloss over a lot of their unsavory past.

If I try to compare their revealed truth with other revealed truth will they give an account of how the other revealed truth is incorrect other than "that is not what our revealed truth says"?

They might. It's essentially the same argument that many religions (at the least anything Abrahamic) boils down to: we're the correct ones and everyone else isn't.

Mormons are just a bit unusual because they are no recent and relatively well documented. Joseph Smith was a fraud of course. But then so was the nameless person or persons who wrote the Gospel of Matthew or Luke + Acts or Revelations.

Plus there's the attempted americanization of Christianity such that there was a super-secret testament of jesus christ hidden on the North American continent...somehow.

Also, how the fuck Native Americans got here from the Middle East. And why they are so terrible at turning profits if they are jewish.

_J_ on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    I like 'they' myself.

But the correct pronoun for Oboro is 'she'.

Sometimes she wanted to be called a he, sometimes he wanted to be called a she. I'm with J on this one since Obo was never clear about what pronoun to use.
    Even though oboro wasn't real or whatever, there was no question that she wanted to be known as a she

Bullshit. There were numerous stories posted about dressing up as a guy and asking everyone to refer to her as a dude.

Tav on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I would give the mormons more credit if they carried around pistols or something to represent how gangster their founder went out. Christians have the cross, Mormons should have like a .45.

If I was a religious man I would be an Alvian. The man Killed for our sins. He was the holiest man ever to slap iron.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Swine FluPAX '09?

Still wish I could have made it.

Honestly I bet like 5 people got it from the show and they were all fucking each other in the ass. I feel safe since Kakos is over his illness and senj is canadian.

Don't feel too safe that I'm over my illness. My immune system is pretty fucking strong. This is the first time I've been sick beyond sniffles in about ten years and I attribute the compromise to the fact that I was exhausted from con-going and being exposed to pathogens my body isn't used to. Good luck!

My immune system is also strong. I go a long time without major illnesses. I also run in the rain and the cold with no usual symptoms. I've returned to my normal running routine without feeling anything more than this sore throat.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think I want OS X on my computer anymore.

Windows 7 would treat me much better. Wouldn't give me all the bullshit.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    "It" is inherently dehumanizing.

Using "it" to refer to a person is derogatory and rude.

Of course.

But "it" is not grammatically incorrect.

_J_ on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

:(

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would give the mormons more credit if they carried around pistols or something to represent how gangster their founder went out. Christians have the cross, Mormons should have like a .45.

If I was a religious man I would be an Alvian. The man Killed for our sins. He was the holiest man ever to slap iron.

The coolest preachers were the one who could bring the pain. Show up on sunday or be served hot leaded justice!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    English has no correct way to use a gender neutral pronoun in a single word.

IT!

1. (used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): It has whitewall tires and red upholstery. You can't tell a book by its cover.
    2. (used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded): It was the largest ever caught off the Florida coast. Who was it? It was John. The horse had its saddle on.

in a lot of ways _J_ is worse than a troll

Cause of the facts and coherence?

no, because you're frequently wrong about basic human interaction and decency and refuse to admit it, ever

like now, when you are saying that calling someone it is not insulting, when, in fact, anyone but yourself could see that it quite clearly is, especially in the case that was given.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Of course.

Look it's the hip new thing the semantics dance

Fuck yourself

"Guys it's TECHNICALLY right" no shut the fuck up if it has to be "technically" anything then it isn't, for all intents and purposes

Me Too! on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Of course.

If I call you a shiteating motherfucker, this isn't grammatically incorrect either.

It's still rude.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yup. I give up. I can't even get the BootCD to load.

I'm loading up G-Parted now.

I'm going to nuke all of my hard drives and reinstall Windows 7.

I'll buy a netbook and install Snow Leopard on that once the Dell Mini forums have it sorted.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    J knows that technically right is the best kinda right.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009

Of course.

If I call you a shiteating motherfucker, this isn't grammatically incorrect either.

It's still rude.

Shiteating isn't a word.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Swine FluPAX '09?

Still wish I could have made it.

Man what?

This shit is Swine Flu?

Holy fuck.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Even though oboro wasn't real or whatever, there was no question that she wanted to be known as a she

Wait wait wait

Not real

What

oboro resurfaced as Delicious Toad!, who somehow lives in greensboro after criss crossing the country and not having family in greensboro, and she began identifying as a he I believe, and was apparently cured of self destructive behavior and meth use.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

QUOTE]

If i werent in jail, I'd sig this. for a little while...

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    J knows that technically right is the best kinda right.

"Correct," you ignorant fuck.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've seen the kind of thing you post in the philosophy thread _J_. You gonna' get trounced.

Most importantly, you are not going to be able to argue historical facts with them. That is what they are most prepared against. Anything you claim, no matter how good the source, will be ignored as just anti-Mormon propaganda. They have their own alternate history of their religion that would put Dr. Who to shame.

Will all of their positions come back to a foundation of "The Book of Mormon / Joseph Smith says so"?

Essentially yes. They are at core arguing from a position of revealed truth. Though they do have an impressive amount of pseudoscience and falsified history from various Mormom professors to try and gloss over a lot of their unsavory past.

If I try to compare their revealed truth with other revealed truth will they give an account of how the other revealed truth is incorrect other than "that is not what our revealed truth says"?

They might. It's essentially the same argument that many religions (at the least anything Abrahamic) boils down to: we're the correct ones and everyone else isn't.

Mormons are just a bit unusual because they are no recent and relatively well documented. Joseph Smith was a fraud of course. But then so was the nameless person or persons who wrote the Gospel of Matthew or Luke + Acts or Revelations.

Plus there's the attempted americanization of Christianity such that there was a super-secret testament of jesus christ hidden on the North American continent...somehow.

Also, how the fuck Native Americans got here from the Middle East. And why they are so terrible at turning profits if they are jewish.

You should also be wary for ideas which the Church held to be doctrine in the past but which they have since changed. Their religion has the same self-repair mechanism that Catholicism does: the head man is allowed to speak with the authority of god. Thus the fact that he can go back and rewrite doctrines which are unsavory to say the least is not evidence against the original writ.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    like now, when you are saying that calling someone it is not insulting

Oh, no. I entirely agree that it has an insulting connotation.

My argument is that "it" is not grammatically incorrect.

For example, if I called Oboro a "fucker" that would also be insulting. BUT it would not be grammatically incorrect.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wait wait wait

Not real

What

oboro resurfaced as Delicious Toad!, who somehow lives in greensboro after criss crossing the country and not having family in greensboro, and she began identifying as a he I believe, and was apparently cured of self destructive behavior and meth use.

Seriously if Oboro turns out to be the biggest troll the forum has ever known that will just be beautiful

Pony the correct form is "shit-eating motherfucker"

What does he eat, he eats shit

Hyphenate it yo

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Of course.

It is. The rules of grammer include and are rooted in ideas of politeness and formality.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, enough arguing.

If anyone can find a cuter picture than this one, I'll bake you cookies and mail them to you.

rat-cuddling-teddy.jpg

Passerbye on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

OS X wouldn’t either if you ran it on Apple hardware, but I know that’s not what you’re looking for.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found my religion!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You should also be wary for ideas which the Church held to be doctrine in the past but which they have since changed. Their religion has the same self-repair mechanism that Catholicism does: the head man is allowed to speak with the authority of god. Thus the fact that he can go back and rewrite doctrines which are unsavory to say the least is not evidence against the original writ.

Given how Mormon marriage works the individuals involved are married forever. So if a man marries, his wife dies, and he remarries, in the "Mormon afterlife" he would have two wives. How this can mesh with the inability to have multiple wives confuses me.

_J_ on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

For example, if I called Oboro a "fucker" that would also be insulting. BUT it would not be grammatically incorrect.

I do not care.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

thank you for illustrating my point

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    I found my religion!

"it"-ism?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Given how Mormon marriage works the individuals involved are married forever. So if a man marries, his wife dies, and he remarries, in the "Mormon afterlife" he would have two wives. How this can mesh with the inability to have multiple wives confuses me.

I don't know the answer to that. I can just about garuntee that the missionaries will have one.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    stilist wrote: »

OS X wouldn’t either if you ran it on Apple hardware, but I know that’s not what you’re looking for.

As much as I would like a MacBook Pro I'm unwilling to pay that much for one.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found my religion!
    Was it in your other jacket?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Wait wait wait

Not real

What

Seriously if Oboro turns out to be the biggest troll the forum has ever known that will just be beautiful

Pony the correct form is "shit-eating motherfucker"

What does he eat, he eats shit

Hyphenate it yo

I tend to believe whatever people tell me, online included

and then people starting pointing out some strange things and now I refer to the "oboro persona"

For all I know the oboro persona may indeed be in greensboro. I had a chance to meet this persona but backed out when the truth was revealed

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found my religion!

"it"-ism?
    Rap pioneer KRS-One has bigger plans for Hip-Hop as he's announced that he will soon release The Gospel of Hip Hop: The First Instrument, a 600-page book that examines the spirituality of the culture.

The Boogie Down Production’s “Teacha” said his new spiritual book will help form a new Hip-Hop religion on earth.
    Kneel, motherfuckers.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Ok, enough arguing.

If anyone can find a cuter picture than this one, I'll bake you cookies and mail them to you.

catandtoychick.jpg

Now where are my cookies?

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    stilist wrote: »

As much as I would like a MacBook Pro I'm unwilling to pay that much for one.
    Yeah, that’s fine.

I’d just say it’s unfair to judge the software based on your attempts to do something it’s specifically not meant to do. :P

stilist on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The first marriage is the eternal one, I think

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Ok, enough arguing.

rat-cuddling-teddy.jpg
    darkthrone.jpg

but only because those dudes went onto make
    Darkthrone%20-%20Transilvanian%20Hunger.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I don't know the answer to that. I can just about garuntee that the missionaries will have one.

Man, I hope so!

I really hope I can get them to watch this episode of South Park.

I mentioned it while talking on the street and he said that he'd heard of it but never saw it.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found my religion!

"it"-ism?
    Rap pioneer KRS-One has bigger plans for Hip-Hop as he's announced that he will soon release The Gospel of Hip Hop: The First Instrument, a 600-page book that examines the spirituality of the culture.

The Boogie Down Production’s “Teacha” said his new spiritual book will help form a new Hip-Hop religion on earth.
    Kneel, motherfuckers.

I'd start the first church of punk but uh

Yeahhhhh

Me Too! on
This discussion has been closed.