As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The DC Thread: How many Crises is Too Many?

HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four LightsVancouverRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
Post here about the General DC Universe such as the following Crises:

Crisis on Infinite Earth Questions? Got nuts!
Zero Hour: Crisis in Time question? Hell I haven't even heard of this one but somebody else has!
Identity Crisis Question? Post em!
Infinite Crisis Questions? Post those too!
Final Crisis question? I have some of those!

Or use this thread for any other General DC conversation as we don't really have one and I keep putting questions into the current big DC megaevent thread.

steam_sig.png
kHDRsTc.png
Hardtarget on

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So for me, I read Infinite Crisis and then just stopped. Didn't read 52, World War III, One Year Later, Countdown to Final Crisis, Death of the New Gods, Gotham Underground, or Salvation Run

What I have read though is all of the new Green Lantern stuff ending with the Sinestro Corp Wars which I'm absolutely loving. Once the last trades are out I'll be jumping into the stuff leading toward Blackest Night.

In the mean time HMV has Final Crisis on sale for 19.99 so I figured why not. Only a slight problem, I've read the first 1/4 now and I have no fucking idea what is going on! :(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Booster Gold is one of the best books DC is doing right now. And Secret Six.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

I've been enjoying Booster, but it hasn't been wowing me since Johns and Katz left.

Secret Six is awesome every issue, though. It needs to sell better

Garlic Bread on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gotta be honest. I haven't read Secret Six. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm already getting too many books as it is and I need to trim my pull list, not add to it.

Also: Are there any trades available yet?

Lucascraft on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hardtarget wrote: »

In the mean time HMV has Final Crisis on sale for 19.99 so I figured why not. Only a slight problem, I've read the first 1/4 now and I have no fucking idea what is going on! :(

read the full 4/4 and see if that's the case

Rans on
    edited September 2009
    I haven't even heard of Secret Six (but this might be because I haven't been staying current for a couple years)

This new Green Lantern stuff is fantastic though so I'm preparing to get back on board.

so once I'm done Final Crisis is the leading into Batman: RIP, RIP itself, and then this battle for the Cowl stuff worth reading? I've heard very very mixed things.

Also anything else in DC that is really awesome or maybe that was just finished being really awesome and is currently in trade form?

edit - ya Rans that's what I'm hoping will happen

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited September 2009
    Battle For the Cowl is predictable and not all that good. I'd say skip it unless you're a completionist. The one good thing in BFtC is Tony Daniel's artwork. He does a good job, but his story is missable.

Lucascraft on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Red Son, best DC book ever.

Final Crisis is weird and doesn't make sense to my meager thinkbox!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    Keith wrote: »

I've been enjoying Booster, but it hasn't been wowing me since Johns and Katz left.

Secret Six is awesome every issue, though. It needs to sell better

Booster Gold is a lot like Jurgens' Superman work; very rarely (outside of an event like Reign of Supermen) does it "wow" you, but it's consistently good every month. You know what you're going to get, and the BB backup I've been enjoying as Sturges knows how to work with a smaller page limit.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Gotta be honest. I haven't read Secret Six. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm already getting too many books as it is and I need to trim my pull list, not add to it.

The first trade (of #1-7) came out two weeks ago. #13 comes out this week, so if you get the trade you don't have too much to catch up on

But you should really add it to your pull list, if you like great characterization, humor, and action!

Garlic Bread on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ditto on Red Son being one of the best DC books ever.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited September 2009
    how is that Flash Rebirth stuff coming along? As good as the GL stories?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited September 2009
    I personally am enjoying the Flash Rebirth. But I will admit that I'm by no means a knowledgeable Flash fan, and I'm pretty sure that the people who know a lot more about it than I do are not all that into it. There's a Flash thread floating around titled "All Flash." I'd suggest looking it up and skimming the last few pages.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    The first 3 issues were kind of slow, but #4 was great and the last two should be good too

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2009
    ya i know jack all about the history of the flash so if anything your comment makes me more inclined to get it

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I couldn't decide on whether to post this in the news thread or the Flash thread, but then I saw this nifty thread.
    What’s the best way to get over having to come back to work after a long weekend? Well, how about some cool news? I can’t really complain, as I’m sending this while heading south to the Florida Keys. But this news is big enough to interrupt my vacation — and it really should be shared now. Remember how we announced that after the completion of THE FLASH: REBIRTH and BLACKEST NIGHT, writer Geoff Johns would be writing a new ongoing FLASH series? One thing we didn’t mention was the name of his artistic collaborator. Johns will be teaming up with none other than superstar artist Francis Manapul to chronicle the adventures of the Scarlet Speedster next year.

The pair knocked it out of the park with their amazing work on ADVENTURE COMICS, so having Johns and Manapul continue their magic partnership with one of the DCU’s most iconic characters was definitely a no-brainer. They finish up their run on ADVENTURE COMICS with January¹s #6 to get ready for FLASH #1, which kicks off the high-octane and mysterious storyline “The Dastardly Death of the Rogues!” Stay tuned to The Source for news on the new creative team taking the reigns on ADVENTURE and a sneak preview of Francis’s art from FLASH. How’s that for a welcome to the working week?

From the DCU Blog. I'm surprised Manapul isn't staying on Adventure Comics, but even more surprised that Johns is also leaving. I wonder what this means for the Legion backup.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited September 2009
    That's bullshit, really. I know Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison are the pillars holding up the roof of DC, but this patchwork arc here and there stuff gets annoying.

And Manapul's art works drawing teenage heroes, like an angular Carlo Barberi.

I do wonder what DC thinks about these backup stories in books now that we've had 4 months with them.

TexiKen on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

The first trade (of #1-7) came out two weeks ago. #13 comes out this week, so if you get the trade you don't have too much to catch up on

But you should really add it to your pull list, if you like great characterization, humor, and action!

Actually The first three Trades our out now. All are very awesome and I recommend them highly as DC has some of the best Villians and the ones used in Secret Six all make a likeable cast.

Now if only they would make a Deathstroke ongoing once more I would be a happy man.

Psychotic One on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shouldn't you recommend Villains United as well?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I might be thinking of Villians United as the frist Trade of the series as it birthed the team. Still a good book and you get some
    Deadshot Vs. Deathstroke action

Psychotic One on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's bullshit, really. I know Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison are the pillars holding up the roof of DC, but this patchwork arc here and there stuff gets annoying.

And Manapul's art works drawing teenage heroes, like an angular Carlo Barberi.

I do wonder what DC thinks about these backup stories in books now that we've had 4 months with them.

I think the funniest part of it is that Johns had just taken Starman out of JSA because he liked writing him so much and now he's leaving the book, leaving Starman to what will probably be a fairly mediocre creative team (if the other books Johns has left are anything to go by).

DC needs to stop using Geoff Johns as their "fix em up and ship em off" guy and start figuring out how to fix shit themselves. The fact that they need him to do it onyl shows how incompetent their editorial staff really are and until they figure out how to do it themselves, those books he "fixes" will just plunge back down into mediocrity when he leaves.

Speaking of backups, has DC mentioned if they're going to package the backups as trades? I realise it'd take forever to build up enough content to package but I'd like to continue collecting Blue Beetle, especially since the last trade didn't include the last 2-3 issues of the series.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited September 2009

Actually The first three Trades our out now. All are very awesome and I recommend them highly as DC has some of the best Villians and the ones used in Secret Six all make a likeable cast.

Now if only they would make a Deathstroke ongoing once more I would be a happy man.

I meant the main series. But yeah, there's Villains United and the mini-series post IC (which I've yet to read, actually!)

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't there a Simone Birds of Prey arc with the Secret Six (Harley was a member)? Was that ever put into a trade?

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't there a Simone Birds of Prey arc with the Secret Six (Harley was a member)? Was that ever put into a trade?

Yip, it was called Birds of Prey: Dead of Winter. Here's DC's link:
    http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=8740

Unco-ordinated on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I was completely unsold on Adventure Comics until some of the people here started posting scans of the first issue.

Now I'm in love with it. Kind of disappointed to hear that both Johns and the artist are leaving after enough issues for one trade.

I've always wanted a thread like this, but I figured there was some sort of unspoken rule about it.

Over the last year, I bought a ton of DC trades chronicling almost all of the big moments up until now. Last Christmas I received and read the first Crisis, and I really loved it.
    -I loved the new characters it created with Harbinger, Pariah, and the two Monitors
    -I loved all the crazy and bizarre places the plot went, along with the weirdo Wolfman psuedo-science that held it together
    -I loved the Perez art, which was just fucking amazing. Aside from the overused flare effect that's present in the retouched art of the collected edition, it's just completely epic. My favorite scenes are the dark shots of Barry Allen or Psycho Pirate talking to the Anti-Monitor before he has been revealed.
    -I loved the way it either directly used or mentioned just about every DC character that had been created/acquired up to that point.

Then I spent some time reading various other storylines, before getting up to Identity Crisis in March or April. It was totally overbearing and ham-fisted, and just generally awful, so I won't talk about it too much, but I also felt the Meltzer run of the Justice League was much the same way, and his JLA/JSA crossover with Johns was even worse because the thing was so uneven.

Infinite Crisis in April. Didn't enjoy that one as much.
    -Loved the begining dealing with the falling apart of the DCU, and the tension between the trinity
    -Liked the continuation of the OMAC story, but I was sort of upset because even in the collected edition, they don't really get the reader up to speed on the OMAC storyline, so someone who hadn't read OMAC project before could be pretty confused.
    -Hated everything else, in particular the characters from the first crisis being evil and megalomaniacal for no reason at all.

I read all of 52 in the first couple weeks of July. I absolutely loved that series, however most of the endings felt really rushed and cluttered. The Animal Man/Space story and the Steel story were the two that I felt didn't really fall into the crappy ending realm.

I just read all of Geoff Johns's Green Lantern run that's available in trade/hardcover last week, along with most of the relaunched Green Lantern Corps. Have everything from Rage to Blackest Night in singles, but waiting until I read Final Crisis for that stuff.

Final Crisis! It's next on my list, but I want to read Grant Morrison's Batman and All Star Superman first, so I may not be there for two or three more weeks.

HadjiQuest on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Booster Gold is a lot like Jurgens' Superman work; very rarely (outside of an event like Reign of Supermen) does it "wow" you, but it's consistently good every month. You know what you're going to get, and the BB backup I've been enjoying as Sturges knows how to work with a smaller page limit.

I'm a huge fan of Booster, and I really don't care much for the book anymore.

I think the problem with the book is threefold. First, Booster keeps bumping into a bunch of characters and timelines that are really uninteresting, when the entire past, present, and future of the DCU is open to him. Who the fuck really cares to see him interact with the New Teen Titans? Two, Booster has lost a lot of his personality since Ted died and he suddenly matured, taking a lot of the character's appeal away in the process. Three, readers have realized that the series really doesn't matter, as it's almost entirely removed from the rest of the DCU, and Booster will never be allowed to affect the DCU's past.

Munch on
    edited September 2009
    Out of curiousity, which of the Infinite Crisis tie-ins did you get, out of the thousand or so released?

Unco-ordinated on
    edited September 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I've always wanted a thread like this, but I figured there was some sort of unspoken rule about it.

eh seems ok so far! :) I love me some DC and I'm not super current on it so this should be awesome.

So ya, if it's DC related feel free to throw in anything that doesn't fit somewhere else.

I read another portion of Final Crisis today and it's slooooowly starting to make more sense

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »

I think the problem with the book is threefold. First, Booster keeps bumping into a bunch of characters and timelines that are really uninteresting, when the entire past, present, and future of the DCU is open to him. Who the fuck really cares to see him interact with the New Teen Titans? Two, Booster has lost a lot of his personality since Ted died and he suddenly matured, taking a lot of the character's appeal away in the process. Three, readers have realized that the series really doesn't matter, as it's almost entirely removed from the rest of the DCU, and Booster will never be allowed to affect the DCU's past.

Yeah, this is the main reason I stopped reading Booster Gold. I still like the book, but I just haven't had the urge to buy it on a monthly basis.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009

I meant the main series. But yeah, there's Villains United and the mini-series post IC (which I've yet to read, actually!)

the second mini actually being called "secret six". i didn't personally like it quite as much as villains united, but it does have some great mad hatter bits.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Out of curiousity, which of the Infinite Crisis tie-ins did you get, out of the thousand or so released?

The only one I read was the OMAC project trade, and in retrospect it seems like the only important one, since it had the countdown special that provided a vague idea of the other crossovers, and the last issue of the mind control superman story.

HadjiQuest on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »

I'm in agreement with Munch, here. I really thought that Booster would be better as the Multiversal Policeman, not as a time travelling accidental tourist.

Tach on
    edited September 2009
    Booster and the lack of promised multiverse probably stems from DC's stupid decision to make that only for Morrison to play with.

I admit the humor has gone from the book since Katz left.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    And here is the news mentioned in the movie thread about DC now being DC Entertainment:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/09/09/warner-bros-creates-dc-entertainment/

From what I gather, Levitz is now below Didio on the chain reporting to Diane Nelson?

edit: and now this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/09/09/paul-levitz-to-step-down-from-dc-comics/

kind of confirms it.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Hah, Levitz is the new writer for Adventure Comics.

Cool.

HadjiQuest on
    edited September 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

The only one I read was the OMAC project trade, and in retrospect it seems like the only important one, since it had the countdown special that provided a vague idea of the other crossovers, and the last issue of the mind control superman story.

haha hi5! the only one I read was OMAC as well

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What has Levitz written that's recent and/or available in trade?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited September 2009
    JSA: Ghost Stories is the most recent, I believe

Garlic Bread on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is he a capable writer?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited September 2009
    My fear is that he'll be another case of a classic bronze age writer who's just totally lost it, or who can only muster pretty so-so books. See also the recent works of Denny O'Neil, Len Wein, and Chris Claremont.

And possibly Marv Wolfman. I haven't actually read or heard about any of his recent work.

HadjiQuest on
This discussion has been closed.