As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IRC] Let's play a game! Cthulhutech today, come by and play!

RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Critical Failures
Right, so I'm bored.

Normally, this would be pretty inconsequential.

But right now I'm bored with an idea.

We've got a lot of people here on Critical Failures, as well as a lot of games that we continually bemoan we don't get to play enough of, so on, so forth.

So let's change that!

How can we do that, Rainfall?
One of the big problems with RPGs is that everyone wants to run giant massive things that last for ages. This doesn't work on the internet, they just fall apart.

So what we're going to do is one-shots! Quick dungeons or single adventures that can be finished in a night or two. Then, we're going to post about them in this thread, talk about them, and have general fun!

Rain, you're stupid that won't work ever.
Probably not! Here's my plan!

1. Announce your game a week in advance, in this thread. Pick a night you want to run it on, a time you're available on, and whether or not you'll have pre-made characters done.

2. You get interest, again in this thread.

3. Play the game, on irc.slashnet.org, in a channel of whatever name you feel is appropriate. You can also hang out in #criticalfailures and be cool, if you're cool.

4. Post a log of the game, or a summary of events, and talk about how much fun it was!

So this is pretty much set up for system-light stuff, quick adventures, and fun times. I'll start, and show you guys how to do it.

HERE'S A GAME FOR YOU ALL
Date: Sunday, September 13
Time: 5 PM onwards, MDT (GMT -6)
The Game: Cthulhutech! An adventure in the Occult Underground of New York Arcology.
The Players: Mech Pilots and Tagers need not apply. 3 Premade sheets will be made, you can make your own character.
How Many: I'll roll with three or more. Anyone can join up.

So in one week from today, I'll be running a game. Let's see if we can get this forum buzzing.

And if you're a first-time DM/GM/ST/whatever? This is the place to post your game. Or for any game. Let's just rock out and have fun playing RPGs whenever we have the time, rather than sitting around.

Rainfall on

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, I think this has significant potential for awesome. I'm thinking about trying out some new systems for running a game at a local con in a month or so, and having [strike]guinea pigs[/strike] people who aren't the same people I run everything with to get a feel for it might be a good experience, and it'll have to be set-up as a one-shot anyway.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A week's notice? Pah! Everyone should just wait around in the channel for spur of the moment games.

But really, I'll try and organise something for next week. I do have a game I need to get around to playtesting.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everyone should just hang around in the channel anyway because it's so lonely in there these days.

interrobang on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've popped in a couple of times, but no one else seemed to be about. I blame GMT.

Also, would be totally up for playing some quick games.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll have to see if I can find the time to run something.
    Maybe HoL.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A one-shot of Geist would be spiffy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

One of my favorite Simpsons lines.

edit: Im interested...And I might interested later on in trying the DM thing..since I haven't...

Are you doing CthulhuTech mechs ,Tagers, or normies ?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, Egos? Seriously?
    Rainfall wrote:
    The Players: Mech Pilots and Tagers need not apply. 3 Premade sheets will be made, you can make your own character.

Normies.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ergh sorry as soon as I saw Cthulhutech exclamation mark- I skipped the rest and just went to reply

Egos on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ANOTHER GAME WITH LESS THAN A WEEK'S NOTICE
    Date: Saturday, September 12th
    Time: 10PM Japanese Standard Time (2pm BST, 9am EST)
    The Game: The Mountain Witch - A group of ronin are assaulting the fortress of the nefarious Mountain Witch. But when every heart holds betrayal, who can you trust?
    The Players: Character creation is a breeze in this, but I'll have a couple to give to latecomers.
    How Many: Three to six slots are available!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Excellent! So it grows.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a side note, I am well aware of the time problems - 9am on a Saturday? That's crazy talk, for most people. It's the problem with living in Australia/Japan. So if worst comes to worst, I might run another game in a few weeks at a different time. But I'd rather just get this Saturday game done.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This seems sweet. Hopefully my schedule stops arguing with play times.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Simon, I might actually be on the PC then, depending on how work goes Friday night, =P.

Looks fun.

Delmain on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How does a Geist one-shot sound to anyone?

As in, I'd host one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd be interested in giving Geist a go, hopefully we're not in painfully incompatible time zones.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Geist= god.. maybe so yeah

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    Simon, I might actually be on the PC then, depending on how work goes Friday night, =P.

yesssss

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just a reminder that The Mountain Witch is going to be on in about 11 hours!

Be there, or be slightly more square.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just a reminder that in 7 hours, I'll be kicking off Cthulhutech if I get at least three people showing up!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So how did rounds 1 and 2 go?

Egos on