As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVD player to HDTV - inverted colors?

Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
I have an inexpensive philips DVD player and a new, shiny Samsung 32" LCD TV. I had them connected via a cheapo HDMI cable I got from Monoprice.

The other day I popped in a DVD and all the colors went bonkers. The blue "DVD Player Background" was pink, and everything else was shifted all funny. Tried a different disk, same problem, Tried a set of component cables and it worked.

I'd rather have it hooked up via HDMI, because the dvd only upconverts via HDMI. That and I had to unplug my Wii to plug in the DVD player.

The way I see it either:

-The cable is broken
-The DVD player isn't outputting the right stuff over the HDMI out
-The TV is not properly interpreting what's coming on the HDMI in.

I'd obviously prefer 1 or 2 because those are cheaper problems to fix. I'll do some tests tonight (different hdmi cable), but is there anything else I should look out for?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Monolithic_Dome on

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have an inexpensive philips DVD player and a new, shiny Samsung 32" LCD TV. I had them connected via a cheapo HDMI cable I got from Monoprice.

The other day I popped in a DVD and all the colors went bonkers. The blue "DVD Player Background" was pink, and everything else was shifted all funny. Tried a different disk, same problem, Tried a set of component cables and it worked.

I'd rather have it hooked up via HDMI, because the dvd only upconverts via HDMI. That and I had to unplug my Wii to plug in the DVD player.

The way I see it either:

-The cable is broken
    -The DVD player isn't outputting the right stuff over the HDMI out
    -The TV is not properly interpreting what's coming on the HDMI in.

I'd obviously prefer 1 or 2 because those are cheaper problems to fix. I'll do some tests tonight (different hdmi cable), but is there anything else I should look out for?

I've had this happen before on my 360. I popped in my DVD copy of Ghostbusters to watch and it was pink.

I extremely use my 360 for watching DVDs so I ejected it and forgot about it since.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My money's on the cables being wonky. Try to borrow a buddies' and try them out on your setup.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif