As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Director's Cut

• EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CIMG2698.jpg

I wanted to throw coins.

I SEE MY ASS! its the one covered in boxers!

Eugal on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone other than me have Dominion on the Obs Deck? I found a Village that I thought was mine, but I've got all 10 still. It's a bit banged up, but I'll mail it to you if you want it.

SlickShughes on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, yeah. Great success? It was a wonderful train trip.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't remember much of the ride back. I kind of slept in a bit.

Highfire on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PAXtrain just keeps getting better and better. (Except the rail food, but I digress)
    Thanks to Chaosisorder for introducing me to Munchkin via the possibly longest round of Munchkin Bites evar on the way up. I'm now going to have to figure out which of the infinite variations I'll blow money on once my game budget has recovered. And whoever had Galaxy Trucker, thanks for the inclusion and I'm sorry I had to bow out in the middle to get some sleep. Two new games and PAX hadn't even started yet! I really wanted to try Ice Houses with those cool handcrafted pyramids, too, but just like at PAX I ran out of time for all the cool stuff!!
    The ride back was mellow since I was beat. But thanks all for hanging and playing Citadels and the Dominion-Sardines. I recall some Race for the Galaxy as well. Anyway, thanks all for hanging with me and y'all know who you are.
    And Tek, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye when we got off in San Jose. Hope you just slept in and it's not Conflu!

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    just got home.squirminator and tek, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye.
    it seems bunch of us have gotten sick this weekend. . . hope it's nothing serious . . . think i'm about to pass out.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey, I put this in the paxflu thread, but i thought i'd put it here JIC.

Doc told me i have the swine flu, and I was on the train till Portland. Don't know if that was long enought to infect y'all, but if anyone gets sick, go to the doc.

The_Reflection on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just got home. Got to see Tek and Squirm still at the station while my ride arrived. PAX return trip was really tame but I'm guessing a lot of the con-cold, hungover, and/or exhaustion from PAX took its toll.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, such mixed emotions.

My laptop was stolen from the train. It was there shortly before arriving in Albany, and was noticed to be missing shortly after leaving Albany.

All that was taken was the laptop and the power adapter, except that I had materials for a game pitch that are gone. I can get the originals again from my artist in Germany, but many photos and writings were not backed up anywhere else. I had purchased a portable HDD for that purpose, but it did not arrive before PAX.

Anyway, I still have a few of the West Coast Train Trip faceplates left. I need to sell them so I can pay for their production. I can't pay for the plates AND a new laptop. If you want a plate and can help,. PM me and I'll give you info.

I feel for all of the sick people, and while it doesn't seem like I have the flu, I promise you, losing that laptop is making me sick.

I will contact Amtrak on Wednesday, the Albany Police if necessary, and my insurance company. Someone also suggested running an ad in the Albany newspaper offering a reward for the return of the laptop with data intact.

SpaceGhost2K on
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm bummed I didn't get to say good-bye to the vast numbers of PAXTrain'ers.

For my first PAX, it was amazing. Words don't really have the ability to describe it. Some lessons have been learned and adjustments will be made for PAX2010.

I got the head-cold(ConSARS?) and besides the congestion and the occasional cough, I am not suffering any other symptoms. Now that I'm home my good friend nyQuil will hopefully take care of the rest of it.

To all the Dominion-Sardines players: CURSE MY LAZY ASS FOR NOT GETTING OUT OF BED TO SAY GOOD BYE!!!

tek on
    edited September 2009
    tek wrote: »
    To all the Dominion-Sardines players: CURSE MY LAZY ASS FOR NOT GETTING OUT OF BED TO SAY GOOD BYE!!!

It's cool man, glad you got some rest. Almost all of us are sick now, I wonder which one (ones?) of us were patient zero.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2009
    Almost all of us are sick now, I wonder which one (ones?) of us were patient zero.

As far as our group, I think it was me. <hangs head> I'm sorry. I didn't really put the pieces together til I was in Walgreens realizing I was too screwed up to have brought in my wallet and got the first tweet about swineflu. :cry:

nemaihne on
  • PoisonRamunePoisonRamune Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I inadvertently ended up on the PAX train going up (I was the drunk Asian dude with the gray "Press, Mofo" fedora)... It was really something else. It was a pleasure meeting you folks that took the train up, so much so that I actually decided to join the forums here.

Well, I'm kind of hungover right now (my friends threw a sweet welcome home party for me last night) and this is starting to sound like a Craigslist posting here, so I'll wrap this up.

PoisonRamune on
    rwn_bannersmlpa.gif
  • bookofnerdsbookofnerds Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a blast going up to Seattle with everyone. I met a lot of really nice people (whose names I've already forgot) and played some awesome games. Special thanks to those 2 guys that got on in Portland with those awesome donuts!

bookofnerds on
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I made a flickr group for WCTT 2009 photos. Me, personally, I am too tired to get them up today. So the photo group is rather empty. I'll repost the group once I get it up tomorrow night. I'll get you guys all the train fun times + the final group photos I took!

This year's trip was awesome! I made more friends, and actually remembered more names. Thank you to whomever randomly mentioned to me that Dominion is awesome on the train ride up...because I immediately played it when I got to PAX and between 6 of my friends, we bought 6 copies.

Fun times, see you next year!!

I'll post again when I get my photos up.

~Jo

gidgets on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    sounds like everyone had a good time all the way up to pax, but on the other hand I got off in the bay area and didn't catch swine flu. owned.

scrivenerjones on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a blast. I don't think I had h1n1 on the way back. From my recovery, I am only exhibiting the sore throat and coughing and I have a sinus headache. No fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea, no stuffy nose, no running nose, no chills, no fatigue, and no loss of appetite.

So for those passengers in the sleepers, I don't think I was patient zero for h1n1 but probably was for a pretty nasty head cold.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • frobearfrobear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jaysonbot wrote: »
    Video from Ted (one of the guys with Voodoo doughnuts in Portland).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQdUYmaEeo

By the way, if anyone is missing a power supply for their laptop, I found one in the lower level of the obs car when we arrived in Seattle and gave it to the station attendant to be put in the lost and found. It was smallish and was on the table that had 2 laptops and some extra boardgame boxes on it.

See the video above at about 1:12. The black one against the wall.

frobear on
  • Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel fine, but Amanda failed her saving throw. Fever, headache, cough.

Weenog42 on
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How long before we start the WCTT 2010 thread? Or does the PaxEast WCTT thread come first?

Torgen on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly don't think travelling across 15+ states from LAX to Boston via train will happen. However, I'm sure the New England folks can make an East Coast Train Trip thread of their own.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited September 2009
    sadly the west coast doesn't connect with Boston...

Eugal on
    edited September 2009
    Eugal wrote: »
    sadly the west coast doesn't connect with Boston...

Technically, it does. You'd have to take the Empire Builder (Seattle/Portland), California Zephyr (San Francisco), or the Texas Eagle (LA) to Chicago, then transfer to the Lakeshore limited from Chicago to Boston. It's just like transferring planes, only... much... slower.

nemaihne on
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    It's just like transferring planes, only... much... slower.

Also, the people transferring trains would have Rock Band. Are there outlets on the platform?

Torgen on
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    just got home.squirminator and tek, sorry we didn't get to say goodbye.
    it seems bunch of us have gotten sick this weekend. . . hope it's nothing serious . . . think i'm about to pass out.

I am convinced that you and your cohort (I suck at names) got it. Over thirty hours, I watched him turn from a guy with a tickle in this throat to a guy sneezing on his monitor and hacking up lungs. I even joked to him one time after he sneezed if he needed a squeegie. I still don't show any symptoms, but you two were showing symptoms before we ever got off the train.

SpaceGhost2K on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ConSARS: I has it.

Holed up in a hotel in LA until I am fit to travel. Thanks to everyone who suggested NyQuil. Thanks to everyone on PAXTRAIN for being awesome. I think I met more people in 7 days than I have met in the last two years.

I am so in for a cross-country ground vehicle trip for PAXEast, although I recognise that it could be fairly impractical.

I Still maintain that we should charter a Zeppelin for travel to PAXEast.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    P.S. - Yeah my G1 already has a huge crack on the screen, but it's nice to upload video directly to YouTube!

I noticed that as I walked by and cringed. I'm still jealous since my 8925 sucks. Windows mobile is trash.

Viscountalpha on
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone know when the Train Twister videos will be up (im looking at you TimeCruiserMike)

Eugal on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm capturing the footage now, while playing arkham asylum . . . train twister video should be up soon

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    edited September 2009
    smerk wrote: »

http://www.airshipventures.com/groupevents.php
    This is not practical in any way whatsoever.

SlickShughes on
  • UpthornUpthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Somebody should at least contact them about it, cause if there's any possible way to pull that off, whatsoever, it'd totally be worth it. Especially if we can just have it hover over the boston convention center and double as a hotel.

Further developments should go in a different thread, though.

Upthorn on
    edited September 2009
    the zeppelin only fits 12 riders ... we need a zeppelin with a higher passenger capacity . . . searches for such have yielded no results

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    edited September 2009
    Upthorn wrote: »

Somebody should at least contact them about it, cause if there's any possible way to pull that off, whatsoever, it'd totally be worth it. Especially if we can just have it hover over the boston convention center and double as a hotel.

They charge 500 bucks per hour per person. A trip across country would take several days. It's not happening.

Also they're they only Airship company that takes passengers in the US, so yo won't find anything else.

SlickShughes on
  • Adonus76Adonus76 RDJ's Boat HouseRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was under the impression that we had agreed upon giant mechanical spiders for our method of travel.

Adonus76 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Upthorn wrote: »

They charge 500 bucks per hour per person. A trip across country would take several days. It's not happening.

Also they're they only Airship company that takes passengers in the US, so yo won't find anything else.

Clearly the solution is to make a bet with the owner of the airship over a coin flip. If we win, we get to use it as much as we want for free. If he wins, he gets to marry the beautiful woman that we use as bait to get the airship to pick us up.

Of course, we'll have to use a two headed coin.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was under the impression that we had agreed upon giant mechanical spiders for our method of travel.

Giant mechanical spiders would be at least 3.4 times cooler than travel by zeppelin, but I had dismissed them as impractical. There would probably be too many legal problems surrounding it, including usage rights for transit over owned land, Destruction of property (because if you CAN fire giant explosive fireballs from a giant mechanical spider, who among us could resist doing so?) and many others a simple foreigner couldn't possibly comprehend. If these can be surmounted, my vote will certainly be for the giant mechanical spider.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
    edited September 2009

Giant mechanical spiders would be at least 3.4 times cooler than travel by zeppelin, but I had dismissed them as impractical. There would probably be too many legal problems surrounding it, including usage rights for transit over owned land, Destruction of property (because if you CAN fire giant explosive fireballs from a giant mechanical spider, who among us could resist doing so?) and many others a simple foreigner couldn't possibly comprehend. If these can be surmounted, my vote will certainly be for the giant mechanical spider.

Besides, the shaking when the national guard and army attack might scatter the Dominion cards- and nobody wants that...

nemaihne on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You're all on a power trip, and you need to settle down.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited September 2009
    Adonus76 wrote: »

As long as we can call the mechanical spider I'm in "Fluffy". Spiders are cute!! :D

gidgets on
    edited September 2009
    I bought my tickets to PAX East! Cross Country Road Trip is our turn?? Shall we ask the East coaster's Cross Country Road Trip how they did it??

Who else bought tickets to PAX East! I'd fly down to LA to go cross country with you guys! :D

gidgets on
This discussion has been closed.