As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 games to be made 3D

13»

• peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can see 3D being useful for lots of games. Hunter jumps in L4D, dogfighting in flight sims, maybe playing chicken in a racing game? Lots of sports games have unrealistic shadows or icons underneath the ball to communicate its depth in the screen when it's flying, that could be done away with as well.

peterdevore on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can see 3D being useful for lots of games. Hunter jumps in L4D, dogfighting in flight sims, maybe playing chicken in a racing game? Lots of sports games have unrealistic shadows or icons underneath the ball to communicate its depth in the screen when it's flying, that could be done away with as well.

and if you've got a Natal camera on your telly, you can throw in headtracking for free :^:

Tig on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    It doesn't pop out, well not much. That's not the point of 3D.

Yes, 3D is about depth, not things popping out.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate 3D. I wear glasses and my eye don't quite process depth correctly. I've been able to compensate, but anything that involves Magic Eyes or 3D goggles or the like turns out wrong for me. To be more precise, when I say wrong I mean that those things give me inverted depth. The bits that are supposed to pop out at you recede into the background and the distant depths leap forwards

I hate Magic Eyes and 3D glasses

YggiDee on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    I hate 3D. I wear glasses and my eye don't quite process depth correctly. I've been able to compensate, but anything that involves Magic Eyes or 3D goggles or the like turns out wrong for me. To be more precise, when I say wrong I mean that those things give me inverted depth. The bits that are supposed to pop out at you recede into the background and the distant depths leap forwards

What happens if you flip the glasses so the red lens is on the left, and the blue lens is on the right?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    One step closer to 4D.

:lol:

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Also Sega already did the 3D games with their firs tsystem.

Third.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »

What's weird is the first time I tried Magic Eye pics, I had this. It lasted for months, then one day everything just started popping out right.

Also these don't do much more than trick your eyes in to seeing depth as they normally do. As long as you can perceive depth in every day life these should, theoretically (awesome word), work.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I don't think head tracking would have the same result. In real life we see depth because we combine 2 images together. With head tracking you still only get one image.
    But the movement of objects in the field of view also produces depth perception. I've been told this is, erm, why chickens and pigeons bob their heads when they walk. So unless your head was braced against something to keep it perfectly still, your body's natural constant slight movement should help make head tracking quite convincing.

Ah I didn't know that, that's a fun fact.

This is an old video but coincidentally I watched it again yesterday. It still looks pretty cool to me but I know nothing about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tig wrote: »

and if you've got a Natal camera on your telly, you can throw in headtracking for free :^:

Or a PS eye for that matter. I think it's rather neat that both Sony and Microsoft are trying to catch up to Nintendo in regard to new input controls. I hope they won't be too dissimilar for a killer app combining 3D and the new motion controls will be a platform exclusive.

peterdevore on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tig wrote: »

Or a PS eye for that matter. I think it's rather neat that both Sony and Microsoft are trying to catch up to Nintendo in regard to new input controls. I hope they won't be too dissimilar for a killer app combining 3D and the new motion controls will be a platform exclusive.

ooh, cool.

The reason I thought of Natal first is due to its "depth" camera. If the system knows exactly how far your head is from the TV... And the size of the screen is known by the console... it should be possible to do headtracking 'perfectly': ie, set the correct ratio of camera movement to head movement, so it feels like you're looking straight through a window.

Actually, I guess Sony's system can estimate distances too, by judging the apparent size of things. So this should be possible on both consoles.

I think the combination of a 3D display and 3D headtracking would be frickin mindblowing. :shock: I hope to get the chance to try it out someday...

Tig on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    but I wear glasses

how can I see the tv screen if its all blurry

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well first you have to man up and get a better pair of eyes the chop shop or spend some Kongbucks overseas.

Those foreign stick on lenses are amazingly cheap and most of them are quite possibly harvested in a humane fashion.

Shutter glasses are huge anyway.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    but I wear glasses

how can I see the tv screen if its all blurry

You wear the shutter glasses over your regular glasses.

Now you can see the screen but you also look like a humongous dork, so it's a bit of a trade-off.

subedii on
  • almighty_monkeyalmighty_monkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If they're going to really recreate the Master System, they should just go whole-hog and make the PS3 play Alex Kidd whenever there's no disc in the system.

almighty_monkey on
    Guitar!
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe I was young and impressionable at the time, but I saw some 3D show in Disney World when I was young and I swear that shit came straight out of the screen and touched my face.

In the last year or two I've seen a few of the new 3D movies and I tried out all the 3D games at QuakeCon and nothing had this effect at all. I mean, there was still plenty of depth added but it didn't do anything to improve or change my enjoyment of the media.

Remington on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I went to a 3D movie type thing at Thorpe Park yesterday, wearing glasses and all that jazz. Just gave me a headache. If games are going to be 3D they need to make it comfortable and not wearing some cheap crappy glasses. I admit I haven't looked at what they've planned but I bet it is silly glasses.

Snare on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    I went to a 3D movie type thing at Thorpe Park yesterday, wearing glasses and all that jazz. Just gave me a headache. If games are going to be 3D they need to make it comfortable and not wearing some cheap crappy glasses. I admit I haven't looked at what they've planned but I bet it is silly glasses.

They are glasses, but to be fair they don't look too bad (I'm going off of Nvidia's design here, I don't think anyone's seen pictures of Sony's proposed shutter glasses).

subedii on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Popout is a cheap and annoying effect in lazily made 3d stuff. The new stuff is great because it's so subtle that you feel like you're there. My Bloody Valentine made me feel like I was sitting at a live theatre production, I felt like the actors were real people (not saying the movie or plot itself was any good). Also, 3D boobies.

exmello on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, complete turn around for me now.... 3D boobies wins.

Snare on
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    exmello wrote: »
    Popout is a cheap and annoying effect in lazily made 3d stuff. The new stuff is great because it's so subtle that you feel like you're there. My Bloody Valentine made me feel like I was sitting at a live theatre production, I felt like the actors were real people (not saying the movie or plot itself was any good). Also, 3D boobies.

Really? So I wasnt just imagining things. I liked that stuff, though (as a grade schooler). The subtle stuff just means I'm paying much higher movie prices for an effect that I forget is even there 20 minutes in.

Remington on
    edited September 2009
    I'm making a mental note to reference all the naysayers in this thread when 3D is massive and everyone is raving over it in the coming years.

-gives thread stern look-

Mr_Grinch on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm making a mental note to reference all the naysayers in this thread when 3D is massive and everyone is raving over it in the coming years.

3d.jpg

Can't wait for smello-station, too.

Seriously though, you guys are being a bit harsh here. The Wii is basically entirely a gimmick, whats so bad about this one?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish I could enjoy this newfangled 3D fad, but I have monocular vision (my eyes function independently of each other). If they could come up with some sort of 3D that worked with only one eye/without glasses that'd be great.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I wish I could enjoy this newfangled 3D fad, but I have monocular vision (my eyes function independently of each other). If they could come up with some sort of 3D that worked with only one eye/without glasses that'd be great.

Bobs_Big_Break__scaled_300.jpg

?

Speed Racer on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    some sort of 3D that works with ONE eye, now THIS would be interesting ;P

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

3d.jpg

Can't wait for smello-station, too.

Seriously though, you guys are being a bit harsh here. The Wii is basically entirely a gimmick, whats so bad about this one?

Thank you for giving me a new sig.

Speed Racer on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Bobs_Big_Break__scaled_300.jpg

?
    :lol:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoblindness

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, this is darned exciting. The new polarized 3d is awesome, perfect colors, fantastic depth. Pretty much awe inspiring. Seeing Monsters vs Aliens was the first time I'd gone, "SHIT, it's the future!" in years.

Those naysayers have either been to terrible cinemas, only seen the old style 3d or are simply people for whom the tech doesn't work. I can't see magic eye stuff either, but I don't claim it doesn't work!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited September 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Yeah, this is darned exciting. The new polarized 3d is awesome, perfect colors, fantastic depth. Pretty much awe inspiring. Seeing Monsters vs Aliens was the first time I'd gone, "SHIT, it's the future!" in years.

Those naysayers have either been to terrible cinemas, only seen the old style 3d or are simply people for whom the tech doesn't work. I can't see magic eye stuff either, but I don't claim it doesn't work!

I agree, I struggle to see how people can go to a decent cinema, watch one of these films and NOT think "wow, this is going to be fucking huge."

If it's good enough for James Cameron then it's good enough for me.

Mr_Grinch on