As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Beatles

1235»

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think Joe Cocker's the only one who can really claim that accomplishment, though.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I played Beatles Rock Band at a friend's house today.

As for what to start with if you're listening to The Beatles:

I love listening to 1 because it has great singles on it that weren't on albums.
    From Me to You
    She Loves You
    Can't Buy Me Love
    Paperback Writer
    We Can Work It Out

I can't help but sing along with all those songs.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of covers, can we all agree that Across the Universe (the movie) was horrible? Blech.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sgt. Peppers is my favourite Beatles album.

A big part of that is becuase it contains Within You Without You. I love that song.

101 on
  • SpectreSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Beatles were probably the first band I ever got into. Since then, my tastes have evolved alot, so I don't really listen to their stuff anymore. Great band, though.

My favorite album is definitely Abbey Road. I remember listening to that over and over as a kid.

I saw a couple of the movies, and Help! is by far the best. It's so great.

edit: I forgot the Yellow Submarine animated film. I've probably watched that a hundred times...

Spectre on
    gst+spectre.png
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of covers, can we all agree that Across the Universe (the movie) was horrible? Blech.

Didn't like the movie.

Do like the soundtrack.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Oh, I like the first two tracks (if the second is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds) and I do like Day in the Life (except for the 'end of the world' parts which piss me off) but I'd just rather listen to Help, Revolver, Abbey Road or the White Album. It's why I don't get the:

Beatles: We made Revolver!
    Beach Boys: One up we made Pet Sounds!
    B: We made Sgt. pepper AHA!
    BB: We made Good Vibrations!

'Cause...The first one was the best..

But opinions and all that jazz. I'm going to go to bed/listen to the Beatles now. I expect lots of 'I love The Beatles' posts by the time I get back.

Brian Wilson heard Sgt. Pepper's and went even more crazy because he knew he had been topped.
    Sgt Pepper basically sent Brian Wilson into the downward spiral.
    Pet Sounds is better than Revolver. Sorry guys.

BlindPsychic on
    edited September 2009

Truf.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Truf.
    To me that is like arguing about the Mona Lisa vs. David. They're both fucking awesome so who cares who's is better?
    Anyways this whole release thing has got me thinking. I've heard some die hards try to convince me that going vinyl is the best option to get the best quality. I'm not a huge audiophile and don't really know much about it. Is vinyl worth the extra cost to invest into?

Neaden on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unless you have a superb system you'll never really notice. Get the Mono CDs. Vinyls are nice as collectibles for bands you wanna support and have something thats nice as an object. A lot of the vinyls released by non-indies tend to be far inflated in price and not really that special.

BlindPsychic on
    edited September 2009
    If you want to re-create the '60s with the crackles of the latest vinyl single playing on the record player, get vinyl.

But seriously, you will not notice anything different on the CD.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Truf.

And the White Album and Abbey Road are both better than either of them.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well shit, I didn't like Yesterday either.

Goddammit.

This is actually pretty upsetting. I am trying so very hard to get into this band and I keep pulling up favorites that are registering as duds for me.

I won't give up till I get through at least half of the catalogue.

ummm don't try so hard. just sit back and listen to it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I enjoyed the hell out of The Beatles Rockband. Got it for my dad for his birthday and played it a whole bunch yesterday. The studio sessions are a joy.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My mom wants me to bring Beatles Rock Band to a family party next week. This could end well, poorly, or hilariously.

I'm also afraid of buying any of the remastered albums. I'm not sure I'll be able to stop.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I discovered the greatest thing about Beatles Rockband last night: When you join a random online band, the band leader is automatically barred from choosing songs by shitty bands that you don't like! Every song a hit, every hit a song!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    I discovered the greatest thing about Beatles Rockband last night: When you join a random online band, the band leader is automatically barred from choosing songs by shitty bands that you don't like! Every song a hit, every hit a song!

That depends
    Does Let it be have the Orchestra or is it the new version?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Do like the soundtrack.

It's the Beatles in Show Tunes, and it's terrible.

Speaking of growing up, I didn't grow up on the Beatles. My mom had her and my uncle's collection of vinyl stored at the house. It was Beach Boys, Zappa, and Iron Butterfly.

I was about 20 years late on the Beatles.

And second Joe Cocker.

He also does a solid cover of a Dylan/The Band song. "I Shall be Released".

Sheep on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The soundtrack to the movie "I Am Sam" has some decent Beatles covers.

KalTorak on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Golden Slumbers is pretty amazing. I wish it was longer.

deadonthestreet on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, I don't know, I've never taken the time to really listen to The Beatles' catalogue, but I feel like this is a good opportunity to. What's the situation on the whole iTunes thing?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, I don't know, I've never taken the time to really listen to The Beatles' catalogue, but I feel like this is a good opportunity to. What's the situation on the whole iTunes thing?
    Yoko Ono said that they were going to release them on iTunes on 9/9/09, but apparently they're still in negotiations.

Kanamit on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I loved Across the Universe. Admittedly, not a huge beatles fan, but I'm also a show tunes fan, so it was a nice combo for me. Some of the songs were faaaar worse, but overall I enjoyed it.

SniperGuy on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I also liked Across the Universe, if only for the infinitely superior Eddie Izzard Mr. Kite performance.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How
    How can anyone hate this cover?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't have any Beatles music in my library, but I do have Paul McCartney's All the Best. I enjoy him immensely. I appreciate The Beatles for sure, I'd like to start listening to them a bit. I don't think I've ever not liked a song I've heard by them, whether it was on the radio or whatnot. Blackbird is a fantastic song, I learned it on guitar a few years ago and performed it at a recital, but now the memory of how to play it is gone. And I quite enjoyed Across the Universe.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've often wondered if they were high when writing Within You, Without You. I mean, they must have been.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    I've often wondered if they were high when writing Within You, Without You. I mean, they must have been.

Not they.

That's a George Harrison song.

Sheep on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

Not they.

That's a George Harrison song.

Aha.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Harrison never wrote a song that didn't sound drug-induced.

Maybe While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Kilroy on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    THIS IS NOT DYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYING

Also, yes. I've Just Seen a Face is the best cover ever. And that girl is fucking hot.

SniperGuy on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here comes the sun isn't especially psychadelic

Mr Bubbles on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Golden Slumbers is pretty amazing. I wish it was longer.

Really I consider Golden Slumbers & Carry That Weight to be one song, and when viewed as a whole, it's a masterpiece.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    'Hey Bulldog' is the best song

I've never heard anyone even mention it.

Go listen to it right now.

edit: I guess it's kind of obscure because it's on the Yellow Submarine album.

Xaquin on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What are the odds that the Beatles songs I like are all the b-track oddities?

Hilarious.

Godfather on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This many pages and the standard question hasn't been asked yet?

Who is your Favorite Beatle? (George Martin is an option, and probably the other fifths)

When I was a child, I thought Ringo,
    When I was an adolescent, I thought Lennon or McCartney,
    These days?

Harrison

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This many pages and the standard question hasn't been asked yet?

Who is your Favorite Beatle? (George Martin is an option, and probably the other fifths)

When I was a child, I thought Ringo,
    When I was an adolescent, I thought Lennon or McCartney,
    These days?

Harrison

When I was a kid definitely Ringo if only because he was Mr. Conductor. He also sang the more kid-friendly songs, the 2 most stand-out ones being Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden. Great singalongs for a kid.

As I got older I got into my dad's books and he has a lot of Lennon bios. It's easy to see why, he was an interesting person and every time I finished one I was newly sad that he was killed before I was born. Reading about his early life I can't decide whether he would have been someone I would have liked to hang out with or not - he was hilarious and sarcastic and witty but he was also kind of a dick.

Still though, when all is said and done, he's still the favourite. I like his songs better than Paul's overall and I can sympathize with his utter disdain for the school system as a teenager and wanting to just break free of that and do what he was passionate about.

Maybe it's just because I've read so much of the John perspective but I don't find myself very interested in Paul. Also, he gave what I thought was kind of a terrible interview on Colbert.

I haven't read much about George but he seems like a cool guy. I keep reading that Piggies was his "anti-meat" song. Yes, I know he was a vegetarian but I see it as more of a song about class differences. Everyone I've talked to agrees. Whoever can listen to that song and think anti-meat is totally missing the point I think.

Anome on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Xaquin wrote: »
    'Hey Bulldog' is the best song

I've never heard anyone even mention it.

Go listen to it right now.

edit: I guess it's kind of obscure because it's on the Yellow Submarine album.

Hey Bulldog is actually the only Beatles song I've ever had on my iPod ever. It's a good song.

GreasyKidsStuff on