As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cute surprises for a girl

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm dating this girl. We were friends for a couple of months, and I guess neither of us are really sure when it turned into dating. Whatever. Anyway, I'm trying to think of some cute surprises to break out when she's down, or just randomly (though not too frequently, of course). The problem is, I've come up with some, but when I Google for more... they're all too heavy. We're not married, we don't live together- we haven't even said I love you. But we're not like... just off an awkward first date. We like each other a lot.

I don't need to know about weekend retreats or rose petals to her bedroom or anything like that. Much lighter stuff. Someone suggested baking her a batch of her favorite cookies, which seems nice.

Other ideas?

Thanks.

Organichu on

• Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My guy once earned a heapin' helpin' of sex by surprising me with a cute "Hi!" card and a box of my favorite candy--what does your girl like? Games? Cute animals? Little things like small boxes of candy and stuffed animals fit the bill nicely. (Flowers are trickier till she's pointed to some and said "I like those," as I also did once to ensure he wouldn't have to agonize over whether I was allergic, hated one kind, etc.)

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You do not have to sat I love you to give a bunch of flowers.

Anything you see that reminds you of her is fine. A book, flowers food surprise trip to somewhere she likes.

Blake T on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    She likes honeysuckles and sour patch candy.

PERHAPS AN IDEA, I HAVE

Organichu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have never had cheesecake looked upon poorly

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And she likes cheesecake, she ordered it the first night we went to dinner.

You are all fucking studs, I must say.

Organichu on
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    never underestimate the power of the mixtape

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mixtape?
    Make one, rar it, zshare it. Easy, quick and you don't even need to be in the same location to give it to her.

BrotherVoodoo on
    13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    though, physical objects tend to go over better than digital ones. There is something that appeals to our materialistic side about a physical item.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if you want to go the easiest route you could just buy her an itunes card.

the effort and thought that goes into a gift is often times more meaningful than the gift itself.

although, i would advocate a burned cd (since almost no one has a "tape" player anymore, other than car stereos)

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You could give her the tape and burn a cd at the same time.

The tape would be a traditional thing but like Lightly pointed out, no one has tape players....

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Or give her an old walkman with the tape. You'd be able to find one somewhere I'm sure.
    s_86 wrote: »
    - Bake her some cookies

Bake her these cookies.

Trentus on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What, no one's posting 'hide in her closet naked?' What kind of advice forum is this ...

Anyways, offer to take her out for a day of whatever she wants to do. Offer to go to the mall, park, whatever floats her boat, and just enjoy the time with her. I know my [STRIKE]gf[/STRIKE] fiancee loves a day in the 'city' just doing stuff she's wanted to do for awhile.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    Or give her an old walkman with the tape. You'd be able to find one somewhere I'm sure.
    - Bake her some cookies

Bake her these cookies.

Wow, I must admit, that is a serious cookie. Like the soup nazi's soup compared to regular soup.

Yeah those cookies are hardcore. Two different types of flour?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not syphillis.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Picnics and books. You can make a picnic as casual and/or cute as you want with it still being cute and thoughtful. Books tend to go over well in my experience; I could be wrong.

Oh, oh! And things in the mail. A cute note, a small gift. Who doesn't like to get things in the mail and not know about it?

If you know her you can think of silly things she likes: I've sent things like foam dino stickers, windup robots and ponies, mix cds, a book, a "Just thinking of you" note, and pictures of things I knew they liked that I saw or of us together.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    - Bake her some cookies

Bake her these cookies.

Thats not a cookie.

This is a cookie.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something that always goes down well for me:

I'm on a date with a girl, and I stop to pick up a broken street sweeper blade from the street. They're like a small, long, flat piece of high-carbon steel. The girl is obviously confused as to why I'm doing this. Let her be confused for a while.

Next time I see her, I give her a set of lock picks I made from the blades I've collected. You just have to grind them into the right shape with a grinder and polish them up a bit. I usually heat up the ends and curl them over so they have a loop to put a keyring or something through. Girls seem to love learning how to pick locks. Give her a padlock, too, to practice on. If you're really keen, you can sew up a leather book/pouch/scroll to keep them in, too.

Something I'm working towards is forging a rose out of steel... It'll last longer than flowers. I don't have a forge yet, though...

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Diomedes I really though you were leading up to some cheesy "open the lock to my heart" kind of stuff.

Still kinda odd though :P

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the ideas so far. :D. Funnily enough, this is on the first page of Google results for "cute surprises for girl", heh. So far, I'm really liking the idea of mailing her stuff. For an idea of something I did that she really liked: she mentioned off-handedly in conversation that she likes "triple chocolate cookies from somewhere in Reading Terminal (big farmer's market". So, I went there and got a triple chocolate cookie from all 8 bakeries in the market... she really loved this, and when she told me which was her favorite I got a whole box of that kind to surprise her again.

I'm mainly looking for stuff like that, versus a day out, because we usually don't get to hang out until late at night when stuff like parks, picnics, and romantic strolls can be a little tougher.

Keep 'em coming, guys. Thanks a lot.

Organichu on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love reading terminal market!

A used bookstore is your friend, go find some old books. But the important part is the note you put in them about why the book made you think of her. And it is really fun to get stuff in the mail.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If she likes baths, make her some of these; http://tipnut.com/homemade-herbal-bath-bag-recipes/

Extra awesome if you know her favorite scents.

I LOVE the mix tape/CD idea, that's really sweet and thoughtful.

Find a place she's always wanted to go, but never could, and get a photo of it. Cut out a picture of her, and glue it into said photo. You can add yourself, too, or be even crazier and put her into places like prehistoric times, under the ocean, etc. Put it into a cute little frame, or make her a little book!

You can incorporate treats she likes into the picture theme, too. Like, if you put her into a picture with sharks, give her a box of goldfish snacks. ;D

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dude she's obviously cheating on you. Wake the fuck up!
    >.>
    <.<

Oh wait... this isn't one of those H/A threads. Carry on!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here's a pro-tip:

Step 1: borrow her Ipod
    Step 2: Check out the bands in her 25 most played songs playlist
    Step 3: set your ticketmaster.com profile to alert you when any of the bands in that playlist are in your area
    Step 4: Profit!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you have any kind of artistic talent you could make something for her. I'm writing my girlfriend a (very) short story (we're both aspiring writers) and she's super excited about it. It's right at 1 page so I'm going to print it out on nice paper and put it in a frame for her. Something like that is great if you guys share a passion or a hobby.

Retox on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So you say she likes cheesecake?

You'll probably want to cut down the recipe unless you intend to share with friends or eat cheesecake every day for a week. Or freeze the leftovers

This is relatively easy to make. My wife and I made 7 of these for our wedding.

Also does she like flan? I found a flan recipe last year that I might be able to dig up again that was surprisingly easy if you follow the directions.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes don't buy the cheesecake. Make it yourself because a lady likes nothing more than a guy who puts effort into pleasing her like that. It shows you care enough to work hard to make something nice just for her. Making food and such from scratch instead of taking a girl out to restaurant or whatever for me has always been a huge winner with my gf, and all previous gf's before that (granted thats very few as i tend to be in long relationships.). It also ironically saves a lot of of money when you make it yourself. The internet is also a wonderful resource for recipes ! Also as a side note it probably helped me that i absolutely love cooking.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a solution for you.

One: You cut a hole in the box.
    two: You put your junk in that box.
    Three: Make her open the box.

And thats the way you do it.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes don't buy the cheesecake. Make it yourself because a lady likes nothing more than a guy who puts effort into pleasing her like that. It shows you care enough to work hard to make something nice just for her. Making food and such from scratch instead of taking a girl out to restaurant or whatever for me has always been a huge winner with my gf, and all previous gf's before that (granted thats very few as i tend to be in long relationships.). It also ironically saves a lot of of money when you make it yourself. The internet is also a wonderful resource for recipes ! Also as a side note it probably helped me that i absolutely love cooking.

Making dinner whether at her house or mine is a third date play for me, and I would recommend it for a surprise if you can make any nicer-than-normal dinner.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm depressed that I wasn't here to post the "dick in a box" video first.

SammyF on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    I'm depressed that I wasn't here to post the "dick in a box" video first.

I am happy that there is like minded people on this board that instantly think of something dirty. Also saddened that I was beaten to the DIAB video.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Flowers are always a good idea, oh, and when you cook dinner make sure your house is also clean and made to look nice (flowers help here too!)

Oh, and you can also try making sangria and relaxing outside with her on a hot day, thats always a good thing.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buy some "Ms Field's" (or other "home style type) cookies. Take them from package. Wrap them up nicely.
    Include note.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Evil Gummy wrote: »
    Find a place she's always wanted to go, but never could, and get a photo of it. Cut out a picture of her, and glue it into said photo. You can add yourself, too, or be even crazier and put her into places like prehistoric times, under the ocean, etc. Put it into a cute little frame, or make her a little book!

That's an awesome idea. You'd probably need to have the right kind of girl to give her that but damn, that's a swell idea.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »

Making dinner whether at her house or mine is a third date play for me, and I would recommend it for a surprise if you can make any nicer-than-normal dinner.

On the flip side, I'm a badass cook so I love it when my bf takes me out some place new with a food style I've never tried before. This is how I found out I love tapas, sushi and Thai among other things. He made dinner for our first dinner in our apt, and we ended up with 3/4lb burgers that I couldn't physically fit in my mouth to take a bite from; he is no longer allowed to make dinner.

Flowers are always awesome but get the right ones. I hate roses but a big thing of daisies would be excellent. Different girls = different tastes = different flowers. Similarly, as a cook a basil or rosemary plant would be just as awesome. Not all girls love bath products but if she likes a relaxing dip in the tub Lush offers some incredible bath bombs and bubbles.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Girls like things that smell good! Try this place: LUSH (their bath bombs are especially awesome)

Usagi on
  • Options
    Evil GummyEvil Gummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I LOOOOVE LUSH!

I suggested the home made bath bags in case the OP didn't have an awesome Lush store around.

Evil Gummy on
    hatsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You're all champions and are muchly appreciated!

I'd also be glad for some cute things to say, too. This sounds like of hokey and desperate, but I'm falling really hard for this girl. As much as I like honesty and disclosure, we seriously haven't been seeing each other long enough for me to be honest about how strong I feel and use the phrases I want to use. I'm looking for lighter (but still affectionate) stuff to say so I'd appreciate some ideas on that front, too.

Sorry for the hassle! I suck at casual cuteness... I'm a pretty fiercely loving person, so I can seem over the top in the beginning of a relationship. That's why I'm hitting up ya'll for ideas.

Organichu on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tell her you got reservations at a really great little place outside town, have her meet you at your place, and concoct some reason to have her come inside for a moment. Have the candles lit and the table set already.
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'd also be glad for some cute things to say, too.

for god's sake, don't make it a line.

just relax

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lines are for Jews and if there's one thing I'm not, it's a Jew.

Organichu on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cash. :P

Esh on