As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Director's Cut

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    March, huh...

I would need a clearer picture of my finances at that time to make a decision for sure, but I would most definitely, definitely be interested in going.

I probably won't be interested in road tripping, though. I would most likely fly.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't decided on PAX east, but I wouldn't be driving that route in March anyway. There's no guarantee the snow will be gone.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited September 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    I haven't decided on PAX east, but I wouldn't be driving that route in March anyway. There's no guarantee the snow will be gone.
    Ahh, a very good point. March is still rather snowy in the high places of the world (the sierra nevada and rocky mountains, both of which we'd have to cross)

Arco on
  • PGmightyPGmighty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is the pic of all of us at the Seattle station posted anywhere? I'd sure like to see it.

Also, does anybody remember the name of the fellow that brought Space Truckers? He gave Arco, Nemaihne and myself a lesson. Thanks.

PGmighty on
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Ahh, a very good point. March is still rather snowy in the high places of the world (the sierra nevada and rocky mountains, both of which we'd have to cross)

Not if you left from SD or LA > Arizona > New Mexico and then angle toward boston.

note : after each rest stop you would also have to play "DROPKICK MURPHYS - I'M SHIPPING UP TO BOSTON" when you startup again or you won't make it.

nerve on
    edited September 2009
    PGmighty wrote: »
    Is the pic of all of us at the Seattle station posted anywhere? I'd sure like to see it.

Also, does anybody remember the name of the fellow that brought Space Truckers? He gave Arco, Nemaihne and myself a lesson. Thanks.

Sadly, I'm the worst EVAR with names. I met him last year and he was really good on the rock band drums- good enough to play them sitting down and hit the bass drum with the side of his knee. So anyway, if you're reading this, Galaxy Trucker Guy, thanks from me as well.

nemaihne on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    gidgets wrote: »
    I bought my tickets to PAX East! Cross Country Road Trip is our turn?? Shall we ask the East coaster's Cross Country Road Trip how they did it??

Who else bought tickets to PAX East! I'd fly down to LA to go cross country with you guys! :D

You will all die if you try to drive to Boston in March. Plans are in the works for train trips going from Chicago to Boston and Florida to DC or NYC to Boston. But seriously, don't drive to Boston in March, you will die. Especially those of you who aren't used to driving in feet of snow.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I bought my tickets to PAX East! Cross Country Road Trip is our turn?? Shall we ask the East coaster's Cross Country Road Trip how they did it??

Who else bought tickets to PAX East! I'd fly down to LA to go cross country with you guys! :D

You will all die if you try to drive to Boston in March. Plans are in the works for train trips going from Chicago to Boston and Florida to DC or NYC to Boston. But seriously, don't drive to Boston in March, you will die. Especially those of you who aren't used to driving in feet of snow.

Thank you for fielding that one. I figured I'd just bow out of the drive discussion when no one put Boston and snow together.

nemaihne on
  • Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seconded, I'd like to find that picture too!

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    blurry picture a friend of mine took
    IMG_0107.jpg

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I believe his first name was Rob, if that helps at all.

Edit: I am a fool and a liar.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
    edited September 2009
    Sad, but I've never been in that pic in the three years running and I'll probably never be in that pic going forward. I get to Seattle and I want to get the heck on with it! :P

nemaihne on
  • EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    blurry picture a friend of mine took
    IMG_0107.jpg

anyone have a less blurry version?

Eugal on
    edited September 2009
    Hey, it's not like I wanted to post it! :P

Arikado on
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Hey, it's not like I wanted to post it! :P

Kudos to you, my good sir, for finding that picture - it may be blurry, but it's the only one thus far!

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok, guys, I finally posted all the photos (of PAX Train) up!! Photos of actual PAX will come after I get some more sleep.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1200492@N20/pool/

And if you're too lazy to join the WCTT 2009 group, you can just view them in my flickr sets:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gidgets/collections/72157622211402331/
    3908458903_f01cc25dfc.jpg

gidgets on
    edited September 2009
    I love you so much for that picture of me and David. That is fucking awesome.

Arco on
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    I love you so much for that picture of me and David. That is fucking awesome.

I <3 that one too. I just wish it was less blurry and much clearer, just like the rest of my night photos. But what am I to do in the dark in a shaky train?? Haha, sorry for any blurry photos everyone!

gidgets on
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm the one who brought Galaxy Trucker, and my first name is not Rob.

Torgen on
  • MoreGreaseMoreGrease Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Torgen wrote: »

Shit, sorry. I have no idea why I thought that. Forgive me for having terrible memory.

MoreGrease on
    Steam and PSN: FreelancePolice
    edited September 2009

Thanks, Torgen! Again, sorry I went narcoleptic on you in the middle of the game, but I'm old and infirm, ya know... :mrgreen:

nemaihne on
    edited September 2009
    Ok, guys, I finally posted all the photos (of PAX Train) up!! Photos of actual PAX will come after I get some more sleep.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1200492@N20/pool/

And if you're too lazy to join the WCTT 2009 group, you can just view them in my flickr sets:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gidgets/collections/72157622211402331/

Aaaahahahaha Best. Spoiler. EVAR. SO glad I brought those glasses this year...

Any chance these could go up on Facebook?

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tek wrote: »
    To all the Dominion-Sardines players: CURSE MY LAZY ASS FOR NOT GETTING OUT OF BED TO SAY GOOD BYE!!!

Can you fit a 6 man game of Dominion into a sleeper? Hell yes you can!

DSC02644.JPG

SlickShughes on
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To all the Dominion-Sardines players: CURSE MY LAZY ASS FOR NOT GETTING OUT OF BED TO SAY GOOD BYE!!!

DSC02644.JPG

BOOYA!

Next years challenge? 6 Person Dominion in a ROOMETTE! (That was the Standard Bedroom, for those who aren't familiar with Amtrak accommodations.)

tek on
    edited September 2009

DSC02644.JPG

BOOYA!

Next years challenge? 6 Person Dominion in a ROOMETTE! (That was the Standard Bedroom, for those who aren't familiar with Amtrak accommodations.)

No way, we should totally go for Carcassonne!

nemaihne on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I forgot all about this photo.

LOL

Highfire on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man I would be totally down for some carcassonne.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've posted my photos from the train trip on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105679&id=659889164&l=f37dc893e9

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have some PAX Train pictures mixed in with general PAX pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=148476&id=698984255&l=1fbd7a8619

Eugal on
    edited September 2009

I'm still pushing for us to do the private rail car thing next year.

Torgen on
    edited September 2009

I'm still pushing for us to do the private rail car thing next year.

Private car? Elaborate.

Arco on
  • UpthornUpthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the idea is we contact amtrak and charter a full car specifically for PAXgoers

Upthorn on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We looked into it in 07'. Found out it would cost way over 60K. But I don't know how much it is now.

Highfire on
    edited September 2009
    Highfire wrote: »
    We looked into it in 07'. Found out it would cost way over 60K. But I don't know how much it is now.

Do you remember which charter company you got that quote from?

Torgen on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Was that for a whole train? What we really need is an extra car stuck on the existing Starlight service. If they've got a spare lounge car, for example.

Amtrak has a whole train charter service, which is not necessarily what we're after.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
    edited September 2009
    smerk wrote: »
    Was that for a whole train? What we really need is an extra car stuck on the existing Starlight service. If they've got a spare lounge car, for example.

Amtrak has a whole train charter service, which is not necessarily what we're after.
    I doubt they have extra lounge cars to hook up, and I don't think paying Amtrak a bunch of money for extra daytime seating on top of our regular ticket cost is what we're really after. If we rent sleeper cars and pay Amtrak to hook them up, it replaces the cost of our tickets.

Torgen on
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it's better having the whole train, because it gives people places to escape to for sleeping or just downtime... or drunken hangover space, not that any PAXers would need such space. Also, I suspect we end up with more table and lounge space this way. A dedicated car might be cool for Rock Band or video game space, but I think it would make the other activities suffer.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    No offense guys, but there's only so much PAX Train I can handle. I would like to maintain the train as is so that I can still run back to my seat to some peace and quiet.

Arikado on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Honestly I think we're ok the way it is now. The only improvement I could see is doing a group discount, which one of the conductors on the way up actually suggested to me. He said someone would have to pick up all the tickets in LA and then hop out at each stop and pass them out as people get on. Or we could do it as two groups from the largest boarding regions - LA and the Bay Area - have someone pick them up ahead of time, and distribute in the week or so before.

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.