As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thats really weird. You did download the hi-res version right?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Which one is that? It's still downloading piecemeal while I'm mucking around in-game.

Edit: I see the "High-Res" option on the download site now. I wasn't aware that the "ultimate graphical experience" meant having not-crippled options. Does what I've downloaded for the "standard res" client contribute to that or do I have to start all over?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, is anyone on that can guild invite? I keep getting errors while sending messages. My name in game is Rarick.

Jeix on
    edited September 2009
    Jeix wrote: »
    So, is anyone on that can guild invite? I keep getting errors while sending messages. My name in game is Rarick.

Just sent you an inv.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Which one is that? It's still downloading piecemeal while I'm mucking around in-game.

Edit: I see the "High-Res" option on the download site now. I wasn't aware that the "ultimate graphical experience" meant having not-crippled options. Does what I've downloaded for the "standard res" client contribute to that or do I have to start all over?

If it hasn't finished downloading yet, why would you expect to be able to access the "advanced" options?

Just let it finish, and if it's not there when it's done then you need to actually install the standard or hi-res clients and not the one that lets you play while it downloads.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited September 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »

If it hasn't finished downloading yet, why would you expect to be able to access the "advanced" options?

Just let it finish, and if it's not there when it's done then you need to actually install the standard or hi-res clients and not the one that lets you play while it downloads.

I would expect at least the options to be complete since all I seem to be downloading now are area files and not anything regarding the base client.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I downloaded the normal setup and have all my preferences available. The fact that you don't is just weird.

Anyway! Think I'll probably be rolling on Cannith pretty damn soon, anything you guys are particularly lacking?

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited September 2009
    I downloaded the normal setup and have all my preferences available. The fact that you don't is just weird.

Anyway! Think I'll probably be rolling on Cannith pretty damn soon, anything you guys are particularly lacking?

I think a bard or two would be cool.

I think our approach right now is just "play whatever you want, we've got a pretty okay spread of classes right now"

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited September 2009

Not Ranger. We have like tons now.

Elimination on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I would expect at least the options to be complete since all I seem to be downloading now are area files and not anything regarding the base client.

I don't know if the lotro client and the ddo client work the same (though I suspect they do) but I recently downloaded the lotro client the same way and I didn't get advanced options or good textures until it had finished the full download, the piecemeal thing was 2 stage, first stage was the tutorial area and basic stuff, just enough to play, the second stage was everything else and I had access to none of the second stage stuff until it was all there.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm downloading this right now. I've been skimming this thread, and my understanding is that even though the core game is free, you gotta pay for the Monk class? And you gotta pay for the Drow race?

Cause I wanted to be a Drow Monk. And that would be pretty lame to be locked out of the exact race/class combo I wanted.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    Drow were always a locked race to be honest. You had to earn renown or whatever to unlock them. Renown = Turbine Points, so really its no different for Drow.

I've never seen a drow monk. Just so you know, Ebberron Drow are different than the run of the mill ones. They dont have all those crazy OP'd bonuses that they do in FR.

Elimination on
    edited September 2009
    I don't care about the bonuses. I just prefer Blue elves to normal ones. Its all aesthetics.

And as for the monk class, monk was basically my favorite class in 3.0/3.5. I love the way the class functions and the insane connection that a top monk forms between mind and body.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2009
    NATIK wrote: »

I don't know if the lotro client and the ddo client work the same (though I suspect they do) but I recently downloaded the lotro client the same way and I didn't get advanced options or good textures until it had finished the full download, the piecemeal thing was 2 stage, first stage was the tutorial area and basic stuff, just enough to play, the second stage was everything else and I had access to none of the second stage stuff until it was all there.

Yeah, my download finally finished as well and now I have the full range of options. Game runs far better now that I have Bloom and Anisotropic Filtering off.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played a ton last night, but I was mainly farming the Turbine points from each server.

I do have a paladin who's almost to level 2 and he's who I'll run with for now, but I might switch to bard. I made one of those too and he's pretty fun.

It's a pretty fun game, for free, and I may throw some cash their way at some point.

If I can pay them at my leisure their likely to keep me playing.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited September 2009
    Entaru wrote: »
    I played a ton last night, but I was mainly farming the Turbine points from each server.

I do have a paladin who's almost to level 2 and he's who I'll run with for now, but I might switch to bard. I made one of those too and he's pretty fun.

It's a pretty fun game, for free, and I may throw some cash their way at some point.

If I can pay them at my leisure their likely to keep me playing.

This is really why this game is now going to be fairly popular. It is a very fun game, but it just wasn't worth the whole monthly fee thing. Now you can pick and choose the content you want to pay for or not pat for at your leisure. Definately they should have been this way from the get go.

Elimination on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also best chest loot ever:
    ScreenShot00066.jpg

Happy birthday... Mr. Paladin...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited September 2009
    I installed the game, told it "yes I want to run DX10" and it launched, but then the screen goes black for a second and then I'm back in windows with no sign of the game.

Any suggestions? I've tried launching a couple times. Each time I go through the Turbine Launcher program, it checks the realms and tells me its loading me in, then blank screen, then back to windows. Each time.

Lucascraft on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Go back and disable the DX10 part, or check your graphic drivers.

Had some fun dungeon runs tonight, maybe we can run some again tomorrow

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After working perfectly well last night, the game seems to be not be able to load up completely. It is doing background downloading so I'm hoping once it finishes it'll be okay.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    I really think i should make a new thread for the guild so i can edit the officers list and stuff. Would make my life/everyone else who wants to play's life much easier. Maybe tomorrow.

Elimination on
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't care about the bonuses. I just prefer Blue elves to normal ones. Its all aesthetics.

You can customize skin color and other appearance features, so if you don't care about the bonuses, try it with a normal elf. Monk is basically a purchase feature.

Reiten on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Playing around on it as a bard and fighter. Seems sort of nifty. Did the first dungeon in town where you destroy the altars.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, looking at the Drow, it seems that you have to buy them from the store, AND get 700 favor. So, there's no way that you'll be starting with a Drow in this game

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Oh, looking at the Drow, it seems that you have to buy them from the store, AND get 700 favor. So, there's no way that you'll be starting with a Drow in this game

This is incorrect, I used my free bonus points from being in the beta to buy Drow right off the start. Its one or the other. Either you earn the favor and unlock them for free, or use points to purchase them.

Nishu on
    edited September 2009
    Go back and disable the DX10 part, or check your graphic drivers.

Had some fun dungeon runs tonight, maybe we can run some again tomorrow

How do I tell it to run with DX9?

I run Vista, my video drivers are current. I'm not sure what the problem is, but if I can run the game with DX9 I would be ok with that.

Lucascraft on
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Been messing around with character generation [I am way to picky about that] But once I finally find a good look will be running around as Luscinia [Bard]

Besides the game inherent changes, Spell Points I am looking at you!, this is running 3.5 rules right?

Who-Psyd on
    edited September 2009

Drow unlocks at 400 favor, which is pretty easy to get.

Reiten on
    edited September 2009
    Ok so I've seen a few people mention something called "Favor" which can be used to unlock things.

Is it possible to unlock the Monk class solely with favor and not have to pay any cash for it? Or how exactly does that work?

Lucascraft on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So after getting to the mainland Harbor area and doing a bunch of quests with some guildies I have to say I'm enjoying the game

Don't know how long that'll last, but who cares, I got a +1 longsword motherfuckerssss

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited September 2009
    I've so far run Waterworks twice solo with my rogue... it's kind of fun. I mean my Paladin can just face roll the whole damn place. My rogue, though? Sure she can hit the traps just fine, but if I'm not careful during fights, I will die.

Seriously, Sam Fisher all up ins.

Shadowfire on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Could I get an invite when someone is on? I'm on Cannith, and the name is Karaza.

Aoi on
    edited September 2009
    OP has a list of officers... go ahead and add them as friends, and when one's on, send them a message.

(I'm Reynna and Kristopf, but I'm playing Rock Band with the wife right now. Be on later. ;-) )

Shadowfire on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks! I'll do that now. I'm really enjoying this. My favorite thing about most MMOs have always been the dungeon crawls, so I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game so far, especially for free.

Aoi on
    edited September 2009
    Is it possible to unlock the Monk class solely with favor and not have to pay any cash for it? Or how exactly does that work?

You can get Turbine Points (TP) to purchase things from certain favor benchmarks (Favor is points you get from different factions in the game that gives you certain rewards in game (buffs, items, etc)--and since the launch of F2P also gives you a small amount of TP at certain benchmarks). Someone in game can check and tell you how many TP it will cost (paying real cash gets you TP, which you then use in the store), but I'm guessing it will be around 770-800TP. It is possible to grind enough favor to get a monk without spending real money, but unless you like a long, repetitive grind, you're probably better off just buying some TP and unlocking the monk if that's what you really want.

Reiten on
    edited September 2009
    Sorry i havn't been around much this weekend. I've been pretty busy with a fundraiser thing and such. I will be on a bit later tonight though around 8:30pm PST or so.

Elimination on
    edited September 2009
    Reiten wrote: »

You can get Turbine Points (TP) to purchase things from certain favor benchmarks (Favor is points you get from different factions in the game that gives you certain rewards in game (buffs, items, etc)--and since the launch of F2P also gives you a small amount of TP at certain benchmarks). Someone in game can check and tell you how many TP it will cost (paying real cash gets you TP, which you then use in the store), but I'm guessing it will be around 770-800TP. It is possible to grind enough favor to get a monk without spending real money, but unless you like a long, repetitive grind, you're probably better off just buying some TP and unlocking the monk if that's what you really want.

It's like, less than 600 to unlock the Monk class.

You're better off getting 200 turbine points through favor then just plopping 6 bucks down on Monk.

I'm not so sure how adventures play into this, as I'm pretty sure that's what you should be investing your points in, but eh.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reiten wrote: »

Drow unlocks at 400 favor, which is pretty easy to get.

It's worth noting however that most favor unlocks are only for the server you unlocked them on, whereas DDO store purchases are account-wide.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited September 2009
    Fun night tonight guys. I saw a lot of people on too. The guild is really expanding fast.

Elimination on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's like, less than 600 to unlock the Monk class.

You're better off getting 200 turbine points through favor then just plopping 6 bucks down on Monk.

I'm not so sure how adventures play into this, as I'm pretty sure that's what you should be investing your points in, but eh.

My fiendish want to unlock the Monk class is starting to wane as I grow attached to my Halfling Bard.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
This discussion has been closed.