Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Kanye West Appreciation Thread

1246717

Posts

  • TehSlothTehSloth this little piggy got a house made of bricksRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    This thread is starting to turn truther-esque...

    "It couldn't just be that Kanye's a douchebag, the whole thing was an inside job!"

    It's clearly a publicity stunt, not like Bruno falling on Eminem setup, but where they knew how to play with the audience's emotions to get them talking about it. It's marketing 101.

    I was actually about to point this stunt out. Definitely not as obvious, but there were people who were sending me IMs of that clip the next day like, OMG can you believe that happened. I wouldn't have even known about this had people not been talking about it when I came in to work. I wouldn't have known The Jay Leno show is premiering tonight were it not for this, despite the absolutely ridiculous trailers they played in movie theaters.

    TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    My only exposure to Kanye West is this article on Cracked.

    I thank him for inventing the phrase "Little Baby Tourettes".

    I linked that earlier...

    This isn't about you, it's about me.

    Your the Kanye to my Taylor...I like it

    Venkman90 on
  • HalfmexHalfmex Matter of fact... I didn't even give you my coat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it was pretty clearly staged. That doesn't mean Kanye isn't a pompous douche, but this particular event was clearly calculated to some degree.

    Halfmex on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    It's not an inside job, but it was clearly setup.
    Your thought process is fallacious.

    Just because people benefit from an event does not mean they must have planned said event.

    http://www.drury.edu/ess/Logic/Informal/Post_Hoc__Ergo_Propter.html

    Qingu on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree with Kanye, Beyoncé > Taylor Swift.

    Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the awards said that too, since the Beyonce win category was bigger than the Swift win category.

    KalTorak on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Narian wrote: »
    I agree with Kanye, Beyoncé > Taylor Swift.

    But would you have the gall to verbally shit all over Taylor Swift during what should be a happy moment for her?

    I can't really speak to the music or videos of any of the above, but that doesn't mean I can't frown upon acting like a douchebag. I frown on that in general.

    Forar on
    sigtwo.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ElkiElki learned nothing, and forgotten nothing Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    That's hot.

    Elki on
    cUDCKQq.jpg
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How did I miss this thread? How did I not hear about this until now?

    Damn you busy Monday. Always getting in my way of goofing off at the job.

    tallgeeze on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Podly wrote: »

    :^:

    Always been a fan of DJ Earworm's mashup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iATyUqGlYE

    Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hate mashups

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    I agree with Kanye, Beyoncé > Taylor Swift.

    But would you have the gall to verbally shit all over Taylor Swift during what should be a happy moment for her?

    I can't really speak to the music or videos of any of the above, but that doesn't mean I can't frown upon acting like a douchebag. I frown on that in general.

    And then the girl Kanye was reppin for went and backed Swift over him. I didn't see Beyonce inviting Kanye's drunk dumb ass on stage.

    Kanye lost harder than Nas when Jay-Z got Beyonce and Nas ended up with Kelis.


    More disappointing than that though is hip-hop takes another high-profile L.

    BubbaT on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    (i still like nas better) :(

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    zychi wrote: »
    It's not an inside job, but it was clearly setup.
    Your thought process is fallacious.

    Just because people benefit from an event does not mean they must have planned said event.

    http://www.drury.edu/ess/Logic/Informal/Post_Hoc__Ergo_Propter.html

    You clearly don't understand what I'm saying. Mtv makes money because these artists sell. They are on tv, which lets mtv get advertising, which a stunt like this, makes people watch mtv.

    I'm not saying the head honcho of mtv planned this(the inside job part), but it was clearly planned by beyonce's people, kanye's and taylor's(the setup part). This has nothing to do with the fact that Bill Walton eats meat thus he plays longer. It's the fact that it was staged from before the show even started. Which has nothing to do with what you are trying to link. Because they knew what they were doing, and the results of said "controversy."

    Controversy /= ratings, but in the case of the VMAs it always does.

    I don't understand why you think my thought process is fallacious, when it's blatantly obvious it was a stunt to get media attention. I'm pretty sure most of these artists know before hand that they won the award. Otherwise Beyonce, Eminem, and all of the "big name stars" wouldn't show up unless they had to promote something.

    zychi on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    (i still like nas better) :(

    Can't really top Illmatic

    I don't sleep
    'Cause sleep is the cousin of death

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is it me, or does Kanye West always feel the need to "speak his mind" at someone else's expense?

    Henroid on
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    zychi wrote: »
    It's not an inside job, but it was clearly setup.
    Your thought process is fallacious.

    Just because people benefit from an event does not mean they must have planned said event.

    http://www.drury.edu/ess/Logic/Informal/Post_Hoc__Ergo_Propter.html

    You clearly don't understand what I'm saying. Mtv makes money because these artists sell. They are on tv, which lets mtv get advertising, which a stunt like this, makes people watch mtv.
    The fact that this is still your argument means that you clearly don't understand what I'm saying.

    There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this was planned.

    The fact that the parties profited from the controversy does not count as "evidence" that they planned the controversy. That is a fallacy.

    Qingu on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I hate mashups

    Your loss

    Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kanye west is a gigantic asshole douche and either an idiot or a genius.

    This event, however, is hilarious and awesome.

    L|ama on
  • Omega2112Omega2112 GW2 AKA: Robocow, Veristia Reaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuck Kayne West. He is why we cannot have nice things.

    Omega2112 on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On the one hand, I don't see what's so special about the Single Ladies video. On the other hand, fuck country music. I'm torn.

    flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    taylor swift made me start listening to country music
    well it was a combination of her and carrie underwood
    are my ears broken?

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This'll probably be a tough decision when it comes up on Flickchart

    bcd6018c022332522eff08ccbe243f0b.jpegeddd5725665aea907414673c3a59b3f6.jpg


    Also, Marsha A (from Floetry)'s reaction
    Dear Kanye,

    I met you a while ago… before you were ermmm “Kanye”… you once got on my tour bus to make sure I was ok before a show. I’d come down with a crazy cold and thought I wasn’t able to go on that night… I thought it was really sweet that you were concerned. Matter of fact, it was House of Blues Myrtle Beach when Floetry were opening up for you. We had so much fun on the road, you were so cool, you knew all the words to Mase “Harlem World” album, we had jokes bout that :).

    Time has passed and things have changed… still, when our paths have crossed, you haven’t hesitated to say “What up” which is cool. I’m not sure what exactly has caused you to do and say the outlandish things that you have said and done and can only speculate. I wish you well, always have and well you have done… just not so much right now. Today, I received more calls, texts, emails, bbms about you… “Kanye did it again” “F*ck Kanye” “Kanye is finished” I didn’t even see it… but based on past occurrences, I could only imagine… seriously… TAYLOR SWIFT??? Mid speech, thanking God, parents and fans… recalling in a moment her journey, what she had been through to get to her moment… and your ignorant arrogant ass made an ass of everything you represent.

    I was embarrassed… I support you, your art… my nephew is 5 and wants to be you for Halloween… how could you??? That wasn’t your moment… you made a fool of the position you have been fortunate and blessed to be in, the millions of people who love what it is that you do and look to you as an example, you EMBARRASSED US ALL… smh… had many people just shaking heads. you made it easier for those who have waited for you to fail, to fall, to let you do so… DO BETTER!!! AIM HIGHER!!!

    Your bar is set, *look up!!! Touch the Sky!!!

    Yours Truly, Marsha Ambrosius

    http://blogs.bet.com/music/soundOff/marsha-ambrosius-addresses-kanye-wests-vma-stunt-via-twitter/

    BubbaT on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What did Lil' Mama do?

    Burden of Proof on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I feel like an idiot just typing that name.

    Burden of Proof on
  • NuckerNucker Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Kanye always projected a similar image as Puff Daddy, I thought. Sorry, Puffy.

    Sorry, P-Diddy.




    ...No, shit, sorry. Diddy.

    That same "I'm so fucking cool, I don't have to give a fuck what other people think about what I say or do so long as they hear or see me" attitude.

    Aside from that, though, a lot of people are right on the mark: he's doing it because it gets him attention. It got him plenty of attention, so really he wins.

    Nucker on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What did Lil' Mama do?

    Went on stage uninvited during a Jay-Z & Alicia Keys performance, refused to leave after Jay told her to, then when the 2 performers ended their song in a photo-op pose she horned in on the picture like Stereotypical Douche Guy At The Bar.

    BubbaT on
  • AnomolieAnomolie Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I just couldnt resist making this

    7026_682024215968_12704413_39542005_6767110_n.jpg

    Anomolie on
  • zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

    There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that this was planned.

    The fact that the parties profited from the controversy does not count as "evidence" that they planned the controversy. That is a fallacy.
    you obviously missed my post from before where I used the number of examples of "stunts" like this occuring.

    just because i'm too tired to post them all:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Awards#Notable_moments

    clearly, mtv never pushes for stunts like this to occur at their events.

    and it's not well known, but kanye pretty much acted like security guard a few years back during the show.
    # The next year, at the 2005 MTV Video Music Awards, while introducing the Reggaeton spot Fat Joe made a disparaging comment about G-Unit during a performance, "I'd like to tell the people home I feel so safe tonight with all this police protection courtesy of G-Unit..." Later in the show, after G-Unit's performance, 50 cent addressed the crowd with profanities directed at Fat Joe which were edited out before the shows airing although some broadcasts played the uncensored version of the show. Kanye West was shown, making sure nothing else would happen.

    the show is like a WWE show, it's all planned ahead of time, and it always has something going on that the media gets deep into.

    the fallacy going on in your statement is that i said that they profited and used it as evidence, no one has brought proof forward about that yet, i just said something along the lines of "i bet itunes downloads for these artists went up overnight." my evidence was what i said before about all the planned stunts that the media jumps on right away.

    zychi on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2009
    Tasteless image involving Kanye and the late, great Patrick Swayze, view at own risk.

    2vi5gzm.jpg

    DarkWarrior on
    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • HozHoz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, that is perfect.

    Hoz on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh snap Swayze croaked eh? :(

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What with the Obama edit, I can almost see this becoming a meme.

    Kanye popping in on a couple having sex..."Now imma let you finish, but Beyonce's video was one of the greatest music videos of ALL TIME."

    Wank on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wank wrote: »
    What with the Obama edit, I can almost see this becoming a meme.

    Kanye popping in on a couple having sex..."Now imma let you finish, but Beyonce's video was one of the greatest sex tapes of ALL TIME."
    It's got to be topical.

    OptimusZed on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    you obviously missed my post from before where I used the number of examples of "stunts" like this occuring.

    just because i'm too tired to post them all:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Awards#Notable_moments

    clearly, mtv never pushes for stunts like this to occur at their events.
    The link offers no support whatsoever that stunts like these are pre-planned.

    That is your assertion. You need to support it with evidence.
    and it's not well known, but kanye pretty much acted like security guard a few years back during the show.
    I fail to see how this supports your assertion that this ruckus was pre-planned.
    the show is like a WWE show, it's all planned ahead of time, and it always has something going on that the media gets deep into.
    This is your assertion. You are simply restating it.

    Now support it.
    the fallacy going on in your statement
    You still don't know what a fallacy is. You should read that site more closely.
    is that i said that they profited and used it as evidence, no one has brought proof forward about that yet, i just said something along the lines of "i bet itunes downloads for these artists went up overnight." my evidence was what i said before about all the planned stunts that the media jumps on right away.
    You cannot use your assertion—that the stunts are planned—as evidence. That is circular reasoning.

    And even if there were previous planned stunts, that in no way implies that this particular stunt was planned. Just as the existence of previous government conspiracies in no way implies that 9/11 was planned. And, similarly, the fact that Bush and co. profited (politically or otherwise) from 9/11 does not imply that they planned 9/11.

    I'm harping on this because it's important to know why this line of reasoning is flawed—because it is the kind of reasoning used by conspiracy theorists.

    Qingu on
  • ElkiElki learned nothing, and forgotten nothing Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Tasteless image involving Kanye and the late, great Patrick Swayze, view at own risk.

    2vi5gzm.jpg

    It's actually funnier if you keep it about Beyonce's music video.

    Elki on
    cUDCKQq.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Tasteless image involving Kanye and the late, great Patrick Swayze, view at own risk.

    2vi5gzm.jpg

    It's actually funnier if you keep it about Beyonce's music video.

    I dunno, each time I think its gotten old I look at it again and I can't stop giggling.

    DarkWarrior on
    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    Tasteless image involving Kanye and the late, great Patrick Swayze, view at own risk.

    2vi5gzm.jpg

    It's actually funnier if you keep it about Beyonce's music video.

    I agree.

    Cheeseliker on
  • 4U2NV4U2NV Registered User
    edited September 2009
    Kayne said that his only regret about performing on stage is that he could not himself witness his performance....

    I'm not making that up. He is the self proclaimed voice of this generation.

    4U2NV on
Sign In or Register to comment.