As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[weeaboo bullshit] Shin-Chan :'(

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Cantide wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know...while School Days is a horrible, horrible anime...it has to be one of my favorite harem anime. Since it has a realistic view on what should happen to the completely unlikable, jackass protagonists who girls just fall over that are oh so popular in that genre.

I don't really understand why people consider School Days to be so terrible when it's a deliberate deconstruction. It's not as if they set out to make a standard harem show and then whoops,
    bloodbath.

It's like complaining that the Berserk anime is awful because it ends with
    the Eclipse
    instead of Guts and Griffith saving the world through the power of friendship. Or that Evangelion is bad because Shinji didn't just kick reason to the curb, do the impossible, see the invisible, touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, and (rah rah) fight the power.

look it doesn't matter what your intent was
    a girl sawing open another girl's womb to check if she's pregnant and then making off with the severed head of her sociopathic nympho boyfriend is still twisted as hell

when people say 'terrible' it doesn't necessarily have to denote quality

Rust on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    You know...while School Days is a horrible, horrible anime...it has to be one of my favorite harem anime. Since it has a realistic view on what should happen to the completely unlikable, jackass protagonists who girls just fall over that are oh so popular in that genre.

I don't really understand why people consider School Days to be so terrible when it's a deliberate deconstruction.

Yeah... no.

Good god, no.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait...that...actually happens? Man wikipedia makes it all sound so....casual...they just mention they all die "violently" but...sawingopenwombwtfux???

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    you should probably spoil that

this thread gets its jollies on listening to the reactions of people who watch the series and don't know what they're in for

Rust on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

I don't really understand why people consider School Days to be so terrible when it's a deliberate deconstruction.

Yeah... no.

Good god, no.

Well, I certainly can't argue against such a concise and thorough rebuttal. Aroduc, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Cantide on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah... no.

Good god, no.

Well, I certainly can't argue against such a concise and thorough rebuttal. Aroduc, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

A deconstruction is something that consistently attacks the standards by showing how ridiculous the original set of concepts are when placed in a different (typically more realistic) setting. School Days does nothing but slavishly kowtow to those standards until the eleventh hour. Additionally, you cannot separate it from its source, which obviously is no such deconstruction of bloody anything. Guy fucks a bazillion girls, lives happily ever after in 18 out of 21 endings. Tsuyokiss has about as many endings resulting in death as School Days.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yeah... no.

Good god, no.

A deconstruction is something that consistently attacks the standards by showing how ridiculous the original set of concepts are when placed in a different (typically more realistic) setting. School Days does nothing but slavishly kowtow to those standards until the eleventh hour. Additionally, you cannot separate it from its source, which obviously is no such deconstruction of bloody anything. Guy fucks a bazillion girls, lives happily ever after in 18 out of 21 endings. Tsuyokiss has about as many endings resulting in death as School Days.

School Days has clearly started down the path to tragedy by the end of the third episode (where
    Makoto reveals that he doesn't actually enjoy being with Kotonoha
    ) and only gets worse from there. If you think the series was stereotypical harem before the last couple episodes, you weren't paying attention, because the show makes it painfully obvious on numerous occasions that Makoto is an asshole who causes nothing but ruin, and things aren't going to end well for anyone.

As for separating it from the source, I don't care if it had 1000 different endings, and 999 of them involved everyone living happily after. The anime went with a bad ending, and that's what counts. The fact that the original wasn't a deconstruction doesn't preclude the anime from being one.

Cantide on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The baseball episode alone made Samurai Champloo one of the best TV shows ever.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009

School Days has clearly started down the path to tragedy by the end of the third episode (where
    ) and only gets worse from there. If you think the series was stereotypical harem before the last couple episodes, you weren't paying attention, because the show makes it painfully obvious on numerous occasions that Makoto is an asshole who causes nothing but ruin, and things aren't going to end well for anyone.

Wait, wait. An insensitive and indecisive male lead? This is why you think it's a deconstruction?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Wait, wait. An insensitive and indecisive male lead? This is why you think it's a deconstruction?

But that's describes 80%(and that's being generous) of harem leads.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Why yes, insensitive and indecisive male leads are a staple of harem shows. But you know, I seem to recall someone saying something about how "a deconstruction is something that consistently attacks the standards by showing how ridiculous the original set of concepts are when placed in a different (typically more realistic) setting."

In a normal harem show, those faults are ultimately harmless, ending up as endearing or a source of comedy. In School Days, Makoto's flaws instead fuck up the lives of everyone around him. Endearing becomes repulsive, and comedy becomes tragedy.

Cantide on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    School Days is in fact a deconstruction

That's not really up for debate

What is up for debate is whether or not that justifies what an awful show it is to watch

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

What is up for debate is whether or not that justifies what an awful show it is to watch

the answer is "no" because no one should never be watching harem anime to begin with

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rust wrote: »

the answer is "no" because no one should never be watching harem anime to begin with

Correct!

You win a gold star

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    The baseball episode alone made Samurai Champloo one of the best TV shows ever.
    Fuck yeah it is! Ninja Baseball 4 life!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Correct!

You win a gold star

hi5

Rust on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Correct!

You win a gold star

hi5
    Hey now not all harem are terrible. For example Rosario...well maybe not that, but I refuse to believe all harem are bad.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009

Why yes, insensitive and indecisive male leads are a staple of harem shows. But you know, I seem to recall someone saying something about how "a deconstruction is something that consistently attacks the standards by showing how ridiculous the original set of concepts are when placed in a different (typically more realistic) setting."

In a normal harem show, those faults are ultimately harmless, ending up as endearing or a source of comedy. In School Days, Makoto's flaws instead fuck up the lives of everyone around him. Endearing becomes repulsive, and comedy becomes tragedy.

What harem shows are you talking about exactly, because if you'd like, I can list off at least ten where the male's indecisiveness and insensitivity is the only source of drama in the entire thing and sends the entire cast into multiple episodes of whiny angst. Which just brings us back to "It had an unhappy ending, therefore it's TOTALLY different."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

But Tenchi Muyo and Ranma! D:

Pata on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm tired of giving my "harem is a premise, not a genre" speech. Someone else do it.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

does ranma qualify as harem? i've never actually watched it so i figured it concerned itself more with kung-fu

but tenchi is terribad

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

does ranma qualify as harem? i've never actually watched it so i figured it preoccupied itself more with kung-fu

but tenchi is terribad

Nah it's mainly a silly harem comedy with silly martial arts.

And Tenchi is great you monster.

Well, except for Tenchi in Tokyo.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that Tenchi and Ranma are both awful even though I've seen maybe one or two episodes of Tenchi and none of Ranma

I'm pretty confident in this assertion

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009
    Technically, there's a shitload more godawful Tenchi than there is good Tenchi. It had like, 4 seasons, and they're still making terrible spinoffs even today.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i'm going to assume that ranma is at the very least terribly mediocre because it's done by takahashi

inuyasha has soured me on that woman forever

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that Tenchi and Ranma are both awful even though I've seen maybe one or two episodes of Tenchi and none of Ranma

I'm pretty confident in this assertion

Yeah well you're pretty wrong a lot of the time.

Not as wrong as Aroduc! But in third place.

Pata on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i'm going to assume that ranma is at the very least terribly mediocre because it's done by takahashi

inuyasha has soured me on that woman forever

:(

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I've realized from people's reactions that their disgust of School Days is much like a fear of spiders. It's a natural and perfectly reasonable reaction to the ickiness involved, rather than an opinion they deliberated over. If someone thinks School Days is awful, I can no more convince them otherwise than they could talk away my arachnophobia.

But whether or not the School Days anime is a deconstruction is an entirely different matter altogether, and I'm glad other people think it's as obvious as I do.

Aroduc, I would love to see your list of 10+ stereotypical harem shows where the main character drove a love interest clinically insane, and on multiple occasions coerced people into sex using methods that several people on these boards thought constituted rape.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I've realized from people's reactions that their disgust of School Days is much like a fear of spiders. It's a natural and perfectly reasonable reaction to the ickiness involved, rather than an opinion they deliberated over. If someone thinks School Days is awful, I can no more convince them otherwise than they could talk away my arachnophobia.

But whether or not the School Days anime is a deconstruction is an entirely different matter altogether, and I'm glad other people think it's as obvious as I do.

Aroduc, I would love to see your list of 10+ stereotypical harem shows where the main character drove a love interest clinically insane, and on multiple occasions coerced people into sex using methods that several people on these boards thought constituted rape.

yes and if he provides that list i would like to know why he seems to have such in-depth knowledge of them

oh who am i kidding no i don't

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Technically, there's a shitload more godawful Tenchi than there is good Tenchi. It had like, 4 seasons, and they're still making terrible spinoffs even today.

Well I know nothing about that.

All I know is that Tenchi Universe was my favorite Toonami show.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obligatory the new FMA:B was awesome post.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I loved the first two OVA series of Tenchi. They were my first Anime Box set purchase. The third was ok.. but very rushed at the end.

Universe TV series was alright. I like it for the Universe hopping episodes (TenchixMihoshi :D) I don't remember much of the rest.

Didn't like Tokyo.

I haven't seen the off shoot one with Tenchi's cousin in space with his own harem.

As for Takahashi. I love Urusei Yatsura and Ranma. Inuyasha is DBZ for Girls. But I won't think badly of the author's other works because of it.

Rust and Olivaw are just Haters Hating.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I loved the first two OVA series of Tenchi. They were my first Anime Box set purchase. The third was ok.. but very rushed at the end.

Universe TV series was alright. I like it for the Universe hopping episodes (TenchixMihoshi :D) I don't remember much of the rest.

Didn't like Tokyo.

I haven't seen the off shoot one with Tenchi's cousin in space with his own harem.

As for Takahashi. I love Urusei Yatsura and Ranma. Inuyasha is DBZ for Girls. But I won't think badly of the author's other works because of it.

Rust and Olivaw are just Haters Hating.

They are not seasons as much as reboots, reinterpretations of the Tenchi Muyo mythology.

I have fond memories of the OVA, minus the latest season. It had pretty good animation and a brand of wackiness that my 13-year-old self liked. It was also the first harem show I watched.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll say this much. Tenchi's the only Harem anime I like.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2009

Oh hey, look who's trying to add extra preconditions. I'll just start listing porn game adaptations if you really want to hear about things that have sex in them. Instead, I'm going to list the things that I said I'd list, harem comedies where the main character's actions resulted in one of the main characters becoming clinically insane, mostly suicidal.

Let's see...
    Chobits, Shuffle, Haruhi, Ninomiya, LoveCom, Tayutama, Prism Ark, Gravitation, Kamisama Kazoku, Maburaho.

And other harem shows that I'm sure you aren't counting because they're not true harem that also do this would be HiME, Otome, Chrno, Elfen Lied, Peach Girl, Narutaru, Shana, Geass, Fushigi Yuugi, Utena, Higurashi, and I'm tired of listing them. Are we finished here?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

All of them.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh yeah, Chobits

Chobits is also awful

And Elfen Lied as well

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zetsubou shitaaaaaa~

I actually felt sympathetic for the tsundere DFC character in Princess Lover. This totally goes against my principles as an ardent devotee of the ditzy and slutty character. My harem is turned upside down! Oh woe is me!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And Elfen Lied as well

:x

...I wish so hard I could disagree with you. :cry:

Falx on
This discussion has been closed.