As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] 7

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eggo nom nom

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Brain don't work.
    Can you explain what spintronics is?

Yep.

Right now we use electronic systems. So they work on electrons carrying -e charge.

But electrons also have spin, which can be up or down. So spintronics exploits charge and spin.
    How do you calculate/measure an electrons spin?

Their magnetic dipole points in the other direction. Hard drives are already spintronic devices.

Of course spin is a quantum thingy, so if we have two states "up" and "down" that we like to work in, by measuring for "up" and "down" we only find those answers even if the system was in a superposition. So if you're smart you can do clever things. And that is where babies come from. And quantum logic gates.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GUYS today is MUA:2

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    So, the RNA saga is done for the night, and it is fucking depressing.

39.5 ng/ul and I only have 25ul. So, its rat-shit, good for nothing.

The spec-read out was funky too.

Arghablargle.
    Make up fresh reagents, be extra careful with your tissue extraction, maybe filter it before doing precip on it.
    Just keep it as clean as possible, also work under a clean hood (wipe it with anti-rnase wipes) and make sure you are using RNAse free water for everything (including the reagents you prep).

Goood point. Fuck im dumb.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Brain don't work.
    Can you explain what spintronics is?

Yep.

Right now we use electronic systems. So they work on electrons carrying -e charge.

But electrons also have spin, which can be up or down. So spintronics exploits charge and spin.
    How do you calculate/measure an electrons spin?

Their magnetic dipole points in the other direction. Hard drives are already spintronic devices.

Of course spin is a quantum thingy, so if we have two states "up" and "down" that we like to work in, by measuring for "up" and "down" we only find those answers even if the system was in a superposition. So if you're smart you can do clever things. And that is where babies come from. And quantum logic gates.

durp durp don't we biologists feel smart FCC

Arch on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it probably got eaten by RNAses.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So, the RNA saga is done for the night, and it is fucking depressing.

39.5 ng/ul and I only have 25ul. So, its rat-shit, good for nothing.

The spec-read out was funky too.

Arghablargle.
    Make up fresh reagents, be extra careful with your tissue extraction, maybe filter it before doing precip on it.
    Just keep it as clean as possible, also work under a clean hood (wipe it with anti-rnase wipes) and make sure you are using RNAse free water for everything (including the reagents you prep).

Goood point. Fuck im dumb.

:(

in your defense isnt it like hella early where you are?

Arch on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    16957-16104.png

"I used to fuck guys like you in prison!"

RIP Swayze.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    So how lonely are you since your girlfriend wrecked your life Justin?

Did you cry? Gosh I wish I could have been there. I wish I could bottle those tears and save them forever.

Did it hurt? I bet it did. I bet it still hurts. How many nights have you cried yourself to sleep?

So lonely.

So lonely.

Do you really want to get into this with me, Lud?

Because up until now, I've really just been fucking around with people, but if you want to make it personal, I can make it personal.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it probably got eaten by RNAses.

That's what SHE said!

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Joshua1, don't give up.
    That is how you learn!
    No one expects perfection in a lab.
    It is impossible.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    enhanced-buzz-13160-1252961907-5.jpg

:lol:

moniker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I know electrons can be up or down, but how in the world is that calculated?
    Oh no, it involves QM calcs doesn't it?

• Options
    edited September 2009
    its only because its t minus 30days till thesis due, and I was counting on this for some (the first! argh!) actual results to write about and Im losing all my sample and my mice won't die and its 1 am and I have to drive home and blah!

joshua1 on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've said what I wanted to say, but do feel free to retort.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    moniker wrote: »

can't lime a photo etc etc

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    its only because its t minus 30days till thesis due, and I was counting on this for some (the first! argh!) actual results to write about and Im losing all my sample and my mice won't die and its 1 am and I have to drive home and blah!

<3

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arch wrote: »

<3

The loveses is much appreciated.

I am also so fucking glad I started on some anxiety/depression meds. I would be a fucking pool on the floor if this was happening before I started munching them.

My GF is also very happy with them for different, but still related reasons. :winky:

joshua1 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Aw, so now you run away from the fight. How about next time, you run away from the buffet table.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Spin is a pretty abstract concept, we think of it like the electron rotating in a given direction around a given axis but that is just a nice visualisation. So if you have a current moving around a little current loop, you get a magnetic field up or down (depending on the direction of the rotation).

To measure individual spins you use a SQUID. Which involves a Josephson junction, which is where you get two superconductors with a thin insulating barrier between them and physics happens (essentially you measure the current between the two superconductors).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2009

<3
    Hang in there.
    Pretty sure you will complete it.
    Also, welcome to science.
    It is full of both great wonder and great frustration.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Aw, so now you run away from the fight. How about next time, you run away from the buffet table.

I didn't run away from the fight. Son, you can't attack me about my weight.

You see, my heart is wrapped in too much fat to be broken.

Speaking of broken hearts, do you think your ex is being meat shanked by another guy right now? I bet she is.

And I bet she's happy.

Ludious on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    moniker wrote: »

can't lime a photo etc etc

upsidedown.jpg

Organichu on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    John Crace is now up to Chapter 30.

I have a feeling the blog is much, much better than the book it is about :P

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Spin is a pretty abstract concept, we think of it like the electron rotating in a given direction around a given axis but that is just a nice visualisation. So if you have a current moving around a little current loop, you get a magnetic field up or down (depending on the direction of the rotation).

To measure individual spins you use a SQUID. Which involves a Josephson junction, which is where you get two superconductors with a thin insulating barrier between them and physics happens (essentially you measure the current between the two superconductors).
    How do you factor in the fact that electrons are only in the cloud 95% of the time, or is this getting too far down the rabbit hole?

• Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjob

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited September 2009

SCIENCE

Arch on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stop fighting and look at the kitty

vdkHA.jpg

Looook at it. LOOK AT IT!

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have no dog in this fight. Though I do hold a grudge against a patriot fan... hmmm.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjobihatemyjob

So what your saying is, you have a problem at your job?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    morninglord, do you have the Irwin accent or a more reserved form?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    I have no dog in this fight. Though I do hold a grudge against a patriot fan... hmmm.
    18-1. That's all you have to say really. Any argument they come up with, 18-1 is the response.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Meat shank is the worstphrase. It's right up there with (spoilered for taste and decency)
    anal/man cunt or mary jane rotten-crotch.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm not good at being truly mean to people. I don't have it in me. :(

Organichu on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    18-1. That's all you have to say really. Any argument they come up with, 18-1 is the response.

It is my most favorite win-loss record.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Organichu wrote: »

I can be pretty vicious.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Probably the most demeaning phrase I can think of for a woman is

cum dumpster

Organichu on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I can't get like that unless I get really riled up and even then it takes a bit for me.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can be pretty vicious.
    really

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Probably the most demeaning phrase I can think of for a woman is

cum dumpster

I always like cunt bucket, or man pleaser, though man pleaser is unisex and I usually use it to refer to someones mouth.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.