As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't forget that Khorne goes first in battle. Drop a guy in hostile territory, land one hit on a cultist and you've got a dial advancement.

shryke on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Well, yes and no. Khorne's dial is longer but it also has the easiest condition by far. Khorne has the benefit of being able to take actions that simaltaneously help his dial and hurt his opponents dial. Killing models, namely cultists, either via his units or blood frenzy will help advance his dial while possibly keeping someone else from having the two cultists necessary to drop the two corruption tokens to advance their dial. Blood Frenzy doesn't even cost anything to boot. Battle Cry is also another way that Khorne can deny an area of the map the ability to generate any dial advancement for a player.

Were you guys playing with the FAQ/Errata that clarifies that Khorne only needs to kill one model per area to advance his dial while Slaanesh needs to drop two corruption tokens in an area with nobles/heros to advance his dial? This makes Khorne's life substantially easier.

And to be fair, yeah, it may take Khorne 5 turns minimum to win by dial advancement, but, the fastest dial (Slaanesh) can only manage a turn 4 victory via dial at best. Lastly, don't forget that a win by dial trumps a win by victory points, helping give Khorne an edge against nurgle.

Edit: Posted this before your edit:

Yes, Khorne gets one token per region that he scores at least one kill in. This means that Khorne wants to spread his carnage around as much as possible and people with weak combat troops (like nurgle) want to clump up to avoid given Khorne tons of dial advancement.

I'm not complaining or anything, the game feels wonderfully balanced and dynamic. You have to adjust your plans with pretty much every action played in the summoning phase. I just realized that Khorne has to be the dial leader for 4 turns (in a 4p game) or he can't win by dial advancement. Which is balanced nicely by making it pretty straight forward for him to get those advancement tokens. I'd like to try Khorne next time we play to see if I could pull off the dial victory.

As Nurgle, I pretty much just lived in Kislev and the Empire. Loaded up on corruption - but once everyone realized how many VPs I was getting from domination they all came over to fuck me up. In one turn I went from all my figures on the board to only 3-4 in Kislev. Luckily I already have 7+ corruption in each region, so when it all went to ruin I got paid.

Our Tzeentch player ended up not really liking his god. I'll need to look into the cards/powers Tzeentch gets cause I was kinda surprised. He seemed like he would be pretty effective. Everyone gets some really nasty chaos cards. Those Slaanesh ones that nullify combat and figures in domination can really turn the tide.

Fuck, this game is awesome.

krylon666 on
  • RaykefireRaykefire Devil by the Deed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a suggestion to add to the list of games you should probably pass on/ shoot dead with a bee bee gun.

Killer Bunnies. This game disapointed the heck out of me, my husband being anal retentive he went and bought all the expansions at once before we even played the game. And it was humorous, it made us laugh but to get to the end of the game after all of your bunny strategies and lose to a roll of the dice.... ya, it made you want to go find small dogs and make them suffer.

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

Raykefire on
    3dS: 2852-8431-6782
    XBox: Raykefire
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    Don't forget that Khorne goes first in battle. Drop a guy in hostile territory, land one hit on a cultist and you've got a dial advancement.

His bloodthirsters only go first if they get the upgrade, otherwise all combat is resolved simaltaneously, to clarify.

Krlyon: Tzeentch is probably the trickiest god to understand out of the gate, which is actually kind of fitting. So it's not surprising your friend had a hard go at it. The thing about Tzeentch is that he always draws to five cards and many of his spells are very low cost. This means that Tzeentch often has the luxury of tossing out several free or low cost spells while other people take their moves, putting him in a position where he can now take several turns in a row without interruption to respond to the game board.

Tzeentch rewards a lot of out of the box creative thinking, such as on his first (or second against slaanesh) turn teleporting an enemy gods first model to a location that is very inconvenient for them (ie far away from nobles/heros, or populous areas, or where tzeentch will want to be building his own empire, for example). As you know, all future models have to be placed in a region adjacent to where your current models exist. With a one cost spell Tzeentch can throw a huge wrench into a players initial momentum.

Inquisitor on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man this & the game thread(s) make me want Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Chaos in the Old World and Pegasus ;p Pegasus is a foregone conclusion for me, just not immediately so.... I'm thinking of picking up Chaos first to give us a new game to play since Betrayal is all of a hundred bucks.

poshniallo wrote: »
    Next possible purchases

Race for the Galaxy
    Runebound
    Agricola
    Lord of the Rings (the co-op one where you play as the hobbits)

Posh - I would personally rate Agricola at 5 stars and RftG at 3-3.5 stars.

fadingathedges on
    edited September 2009

His bloodthirsters only go first if they get the upgrade, otherwise all combat is resolved simaltaneously, to clarify.

Khorne goes first. He rolls first, he kills first.

This means he gets first crack at killing any cultists in the region, which is an easy way to pick up a dial advancement token.

shryke on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raykefire wrote: »
    I have a suggestion to add to the list of games you should probably pass on/ shoot dead with a bee bee gun.

Killer Bunnies. This game disapointed the heck out of me, my husband being anal retentive he went and bought all the expansions at once before we even played the game. And it was humorous, it made us laugh but to get to the end of the game after all of your bunny strategies and lose to a roll of the dice.... ya, it made you want to go find small dogs and make them suffer.

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

Thanks for the info... i just saw it at my LGS and was wondeirng what the hell it was.

Orange Soda on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the next game i will get will be agricola or hive. Those are really the only 2 things on my wishlist right now.

I just can't justify dropping 50 for agricola before I get a chance to play it.

Then again... i did just spend quite a bit on card sleaves...

Orange Soda on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

All the expansions? Aren't there like ten?

I also recall that there's a board game and a card game. Which one were you trying? The whole thing looked too silly for my tastes, so I've never tried it.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

Yeah, it's pretty... yeah. Can't disagree with your assestment. Plus, to top it all off, it's gotta have one of the worst-written rulebooks I've seen.

Picked up a copy of Ad Astra yesterday, will give thoughts when I get a game or two in. At the minimum, it gets bonus points for actually coming with plastic trays for the bits.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited September 2009

This means he gets first crack at killing any cultists in the region, which is an easy way to pick up a dial advancement token.

Ah, I think we just had a miscommunication is all. Yeah, Khorne gets to roll his battle dice first and cultists (and cultists only) are removed when killed, which does give Khorne an advantage at getting his dial upgraded. However, other enemy models that you kill merely get tipped over and still get to have their attacks before they are removed from the board.

Inquisitor on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Killer Bunnies? Pass...

Yeah, I've played this maybe twice, and I completely did not understand why people enjoyed it. There was one player who got pretty much EVERY carrot, because she drew the 'get 2 carrots card', which is of course the best thing to draw in the game. At the end of the game, I had like 1 carrot, there were a couple others out, and the one girl had like, 15 or something. But then, at the end, since we were playing with like every expansion, this one dude got one of her carrots because he had the current zodiac sign, and then his one carrot turned out to be the winner.

I will never play that game again.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Wait, what? Are all of the things you say there actually part of the game, and not you exaggerating?

That sounds truly awful.

Darkewolfe on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Wait, what? Are all of the things you say there actually part of the game, and not you exaggerating?

That sounds truly awful.

I've played it once; never again. As wikipedia says, the game is criticized for being a lottery. A single magic carrot is chosen before the game as the winning one, but not revealed to the players until the end of the game. Whoever has that one carrot wins, even if someone else has every other carrot in the game.

Darian on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://banach.ucsd.edu/Agricola/Board1/Agricola.html

Orange, you can try Agricola online, for free. If you play with others, though, make sure you know all the rules. This will not tell you "Oh youdidn't do this correctly" or anything.

Between Agricola and Hive, it depends on what you want your next game to do. I enjoy both games, but Hive is a short and sweet ab-strategy game. It will last for 15 minutes, and its usually not hard to get the other play to play again. But its only two players and is a strategy game, so if the people you are playing with are not very good at planning ahead? They probably wont be down for too many repeated plays.

Agricola is 1-5 players and hits that Sweet spot of frustrating you and who ever else is playing just enough so that the game becomes a struggle to make it through each harvest, let alone win. It has definitely been worth the 50 bucks I spent on it. This game is fun for everyone because even if you're doing poorly, it's hard to "give up" like some people may do when being outclassed in a strategy game. There is always something to do.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That sounds truly awful.
    I think someone wanted to make a game about cute widdle fuzzy bunnies and what they do, but got so involved in "what bunnies do" that they forgot to make a game.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited September 2009

Ah, I think we just had a miscommunication is all. Yeah, Khorne gets to roll his battle dice first and cultists (and cultists only) are removed when killed, which does give Khorne an advantage at getting his dial upgraded. However, other enemy models that you kill merely get tipped over and still get to have their attacks before they are removed from the board.

Actually peasants are the only things that are immediately removed, cultists still get tipped. Which only really matters for Khorne, if his cultists are upgraded. I guess the real point being, in a multi-person battle Khorne gets the advantage of being first to assign his hits. I hope we get to play again tomorrow, I'm itching to try some new strategies.

This is a sort of funny review of the game - I can see a love/hate thing going with the guy in the video. But he kept my attention for the entire 15 mins or whatever. If he didn't have the accent, I wouldn't have stuck around.

edit: also, I paid the full $90 for Agricola (i think thats the retail) and haven't regretted it. Don't be afraid of it Orange. Embrace your little farmers.

krylon666 on
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, cannot recommend Agricola enough. It's super, super replayable, which is such an important thing in board games.

Darkewolfe on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone here have Stone Age? What do you think about it's replayability? I've heard mixed reviews, and personally I liked it the one time I played it in person and the few times online. I really think that my girlfriend would like the game as well and a few of my friends.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    I love that review Krylon, that guy also used to do reviews for videogames that I quite enjoyed, especially his review of God Hand.

Also, thanks for correcting my misreading of the rules, I'll probably be teaching the game to some new people today so I want to get everything right.

Inquisitor on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Anyone here have Stone Age? What do you think about it's replayability? I've heard mixed reviews, and personally I liked it the one time I played it in person and the few times online. I really think that my girlfriend would like the game as well and a few of my friends.

Pillars is a pretty good one and holds up decently well to replay. Stone Age is the same game, but runs a bit quicker - has more dice rolls. You might read about both and pick one. They both have great art.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited September 2009
    I love that review Krylon, that guy also used to do reviews for videogames that I quite enjoyed, especially his review of God Hand.

Also, thanks for correcting my misreading of the rules, I'll probably be teaching the game to some new people today so I want to get everything right.

No problem, here is the universal head for it too: http://www.headlesshollow.com/freebies_games.html#cha

I went over the rules/faq/head after we played last night and was pretty pleased. It looks like we actually played everything correctly.

There was one case that almost happened, that I think we would've played wrong though. The Slaanesh player used a card that let him take control of the Tzeentch player's cultist. Tzeentch was going to play his card that cancels the effect of any other chaos card in the region - but I'm pretty sure the FAQ clarifies that this would not work because the effect (taking control of the cultist) had already taken place. That card could cancel other persistent effects etc. That's my take on that scenario though.

Its a pretty straight forward game - all of the "slow down" in the game comes from thinking about what to do. Which is definitely not a bad thing. You're constantly adjusting your strategy - and everyone is screwing each other over from the start. Good times to be had.

krylon666 on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I played A Touch of Evil (with the Something Wicked expansion) and Last Night on Earth with some friends while I was in Seattle for PAX and I would have to say they are two of the best thought out board games I've ever played. They were incredibly fun.

A Touch of Evil looks on the surface like a very intimidating game when you see other people play it, what with the stacks of cards and tokens and things all over the table, but I was really surprised how simple the game play really was. I'll be buying both of these games in the near future.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Pillars is a pretty good one and holds up decently well to replay. Stone Age is the same game, but runs a bit quicker - has more dice rolls. You might read about both and pick one. They both have great art.

I've actually played both, though Pillars to me seemed like it had less replay value of the two. They're so similar, that I would only really end up getting one of them. Though Pillars has an expansion, so there's the chance of more which makes it more replayable, but also more of a cash sink.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've actually played both, though Pillars to me seemed like it had less replay value of the two. They're so similar, that I would only really end up getting one of them. Though Pillars has an expansion, so there's the chance of more which makes it more replayable, but also more of a cash sink.

I think Stone Age might actually have a better replay because it is a bit more random. My only experience with Pillars is with the expansion, so you might be right on that. I could imagine that there might end up being only one or two viable paths to win, depending on the available craftsmen and bag draws. Because of the difference in randomness, I think they do appeal to two different groups. Stone Age is more the family/casual game, obviously.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can someone break down this Chaos in the Old World game for me? I've got a bunch of friends who are hardcore Warhammer-types.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Can someone break down this Chaos in the Old World game for me? I've got a bunch of friends who are hardcore Warhammer-types.

I quite liked this review that Krylon posted earlier:
    krylon666 wrote: »
    This is a sort of funny review of the game - I can see a love/hate thing going with the guy in the video. But he kept my attention for the entire 15 mins or whatever. If he didn't have the accent, I wouldn't have stuck around.

Basically it's a game of area control where each player assumes the role of one of the four main chaos gods. Each god plays different, has different powers, different spells, different units, upgrades, etc. There are two ways to win, either by victory points which you get by dominating and ruining areas or by progressing all the way through your gods victory track. Each god's victory track advances in a way unique to them that fits with the theme of the god. Khorne advances his track by killing as many things as possible, while Slaanesh advances his by corrupting Nobles, for example.

The game balance is incredibly tight based on my experience and that of others and very tactical, every move is quite important to the outcome of the game.

Inquisitor on
  • etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I plan on running a modified version of the custom "Get to the Chooper" mission in Last Night on Earth this weekend. Been playing Space Hulk every chance we get since it's release, and it's time for something different. Can't wait to see if the undead can take these pesky humans once and for all.

etoychest on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    etoychest wrote: »
    I plan on running a modified version of the custom "Get to the Chooper" mission in Last Night on Earth this weekend. Been playing Space Hulk every chance we get since it's release, and it's time for something different. Can't wait to see if the undead can take these pesky humans once and for all.

I saw a game of it come down to a die roll once. A DIE ROLL.

It was awesome.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2009
    Any opinions on Bootleggers?

Edit: Also, Lost Cities is on sale... if you buy the Scandinavian language version. I don't recall there being any text during gameplay, is that right?

Darkewolfe on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Edit: Also, Lost Cities is on sale... if you buy the Scandinavian language version. I don't recall there being any text during gameplay, is that right?

Looks interesting. I'll gladly give it a try sometime if you pick it up.

And you are correct; absolutely no text for Lost Cities. Just a deck of oversized cards numbered 1-10 in 5 colored suits (with three hand-shake cards per suit).

Darian on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I quite liked this review that Krylon posted earlier:
    krylon666 wrote: »

Ah, yeah, I posted that in the previous thread too. I'm becoming quite a fan of DowntimeTown.

He's got a new Space Hulk video up, though it doesn't surpass his Memoir '44 or Hour of Glory reviews. Which, to be fair, would be difficult, since they're just lovely.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited September 2009
    Darian wrote: »

Looks interesting. I'll gladly give it a try sometime if you pick it up.

And you are correct; absolutely no text for Lost Cities. Just a deck of oversized cards numbered 1-10 in 5 colored suits (with three hand-shake cards per suit).

Funagain games has a bunch of sales going. Those of you who want games to play with your girlfriend, the Scandinavian edition of Lost Cities is eight bucks. It is a perfect girlfriend game.

http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=015181

So, just ordered Lost Cities, Space Dealer (FOR 25 Bucks!), Il Principe (FOR 13 BUCKS!) and Shangri-La (FOR TEN BUCKS!). Alex is getting Bootleggers himself for ten. This all started because the little bastard e-mailed me and said, "I'm placing a ten dollar order at Funagain Games, do you want anything? Ugh. Temptation, I cannot resist.

Also, I'm sure some of you see these, but today's BGG comic was hilarious.

rich_sm.jpg

Darkewolfe on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So who picked up Space Hulk? I really want to but it's just too expensive.

tofu on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tofu wrote: »

Listen to Robert.

DarkPrimus on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    D:

hard to....resist....

tofu on
    edited September 2009

Too expensive and too much work to put together.

Plus, 2 player games don't see much playtime for me.

shryke on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Listen to Robert.

And now I have to get Chaos in the Old World.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Listen to Robert.

Really just the tile comparison did it for me. It's top of my list of games to get on my next spending spree.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited September 2009
    If I manage to land a job I'm definitely going to pick up Space Hulk. Otherwise it would just be too irresponsible given by current unemployment.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.