As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    is that a 4e thing
    because i have like 20 characters i want to play

Kusuguttai on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Age of Worms is a level 1-20 adventure path for 3.5 edition D&D by Dungeon Magazine made in 2005/2006. I've been taking the adventures and re-doing them in 4th edition, updating monsters/traps/treasure, etc.

This would be the campaign I am running with my Friday group, but I've been saving copies of all the maptools files so I could run it with another group if there were any interested players and I had the spare time.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2009
    oh man that's pretty intense

well if you ever get that spare time let me know

Kusuguttai on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know Marsh, everytime you start up a Maptools campaign, I pretty much curse the timezone difference that prevents me from having any reasonable chance of playing a game with you.

Just so you know.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited September 2009
    how many of you guys have the 4e character creator?

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    oh man that's pretty intense

well if you ever get that spare time let me know

Depends, I have fair amounts of free time, but due to work it's fairly unreliable, which isn't much good for running games.

I could probably do a Thursday evening one pretty easily. I have school in the mornings but afternoon and later are free.

Marshmallow on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    how many of you guys have the 4e character creator?

Pretty much everyone who plays D&D and posts online, I think.

Fishman on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got the free version

Antimatter on
    edited September 2009
    it is so righteous
    i love setting the levels to like 11 and 21 just to see what my guy will look like when he gets there

my dragonborn sorcerer will be a prince of hell

Kusuguttai on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have so many god damned characters made just waiting to do something cool.

Melding on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would love to get into a 4e game, if that's okay

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2009
    I have a few characters ready to go I think.

Usually I only make characters when I know I've got a game to run them in, and then when that game winds down or ends abruptly I keep the character I used for another game because they've got a personality now, and a few scars, and had some cool lines and I just don't want to abandon them to creative purgatory just yet.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2009
    I can tell I'm a DM, because while I have about a dozen villains and fleshed out NPCs ready to drop into a campaign at a moments notice, I'm probably going to pass on a mate's Goblin themed one-shot because I can't think up an interesting character hook for a PC.

Fishman on
    edited September 2009
    marsh you already have three people willing to do this

do it with you

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    Well okay, can these three people make Thursday afternoons/evenings PST?

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2009
    i can only do afternoons on thursdays
    i have class all night

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, I could maybe do a Tuesday night, depending on when Quetzi's M&M game ends. Other than that I am at the mercy of my work schedule.

Marshmallow on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I might be able to cut in. Got a shopping trip this weekend, so I could grab a mic.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, I could maybe do a Tuesday night, depending on when Quetzi's M&M game ends. Other than that I am at the mercy of my work schedule.

well what time are we talking about here

if it's like whatever to around 6 i am golden

Kusuguttai on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can do thursdays or tuesdays. I am east coast though, so it would be best if we were winding up around 10-10:30 PST at the latest

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2009
    curse you geology that meets on tuesdays
    curse you geology lab that meets on thursdays

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    Well, Tues/Thurs I am free after 2pm PST, but I typically play in Quetzi's game until around 5 or 6ish on tuesdays.

Every other day but Friday I am possibly free but it would depend on my highly variable work schedule, so I wouldn't get more than a few days notice for a day I had off.

Marshmallow on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm only available after 7 pm PST

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited September 2009
    i'm only available before 7pm!

i also wouldn't really mind too much about variable playing times. it's what i'm used to anyway

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    Well, I am getting my schedule for next week, tomorrow, so perhaps something can be worked out if that is enough notice.

We'll see!

Marshmallow on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on August 30 2009 (Order# 002-6632896-1877802). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Fantasy Flight Games "Rogue Trader RPG: Core Rulebook"
    Estimated arrival date: November 02 2009 - November 04 2009

Dammit.

DouglasDanger on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    oh wow, that's really cool

i want to steal it

Chances of me running at are so incredibly low. Like, I'd run it as a vent game here maybe once I finally get bored of my M&M game.

But that is not happening any time soon.

What I'm saying is

Steal the fuck out of it.

Straightzi on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I looked at Against The Giants and the DMG2 today

I want boooth

Moriveth on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I gots this fancy new rehearsal schedule sitting in front of me

And I've got rehearsal Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday for the next like ten weeks or something

And a Monday night class

So game is gonna go on hiatus for a while here

Show closes November 14th, maybe we'll resume then

Straightzi on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dang man that's a lot of rehearsal. Big show?

(I'm in a small show but really really short rehearsal schedule... we're just getting off book this week and we open first week of october!)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I guess! I'm in four of the nine scenes, but the way it's split up or something leaves me with that. Like they're doing the last two scenes on Mondays because I'm superdead by then, but they split the rest of the seven between the remaining three days in such a way that I have one or two scenes every day to work on. We'll see if it changes beyond that.

Straightzi on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marsh I would be totally up for joining this potential campaign if the time is right and people don't mind playing with someone new

I've only played 4e once, and it was DMing a dungeon dive

Squall on
    edited September 2009
    that's fine squall
    i've only dm'd 4e

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    I'd like to think the games I run are pretty new person friendly. So yeah, no worries.

Marshmallow on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, right now I am working on a RPG system.

I've got a few guiding principles for what I'm trying to work on:

1. The rules need to be something I can explain to a new person in a couple minutes, and have them make a character swiftly. They need to be able to learn the basic rules and then immediately move to character creation needing only a clear idea in their mind of what kind of character they want to make.

2. The rules need to have a universal conflict resolution mechanic. That means attacking, damage, skill use, etc. all has to use the same kind of mechanic. An example of this is how Mutants & Masterminds uses rolling 1d20 vs a DC is 100% of how the game works. That sort of principle.

3. The system needs to be generic and usable in any setting and at nearly any power level.

4. The attributes, statistics, and skills of the system need to be abstract. They need to be the sort of thing players can create without looking through a massive list of what the game has already designed (Example: The Fate System used by Spirit of the Century).

5. The game needs to be light on derived values and differing manners of resistances, defenses, and factored attributes. I am sick of character sheets that look like tax forms.

Now, while there are many systems that exhibit many of the traits I am looking for, none really function for what I'd really want, so I'm exploring my options here.

Pony on
    edited September 2009
    modify RISUS a bit

DE?AD's been doing that at the Gloss thread, and it's been working quite well

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also I have maptools and vent, but I have never used either.

Squall on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    modify RISUS a bit

DE?AD's been doing that at the Gloss thread, and it's been working quite well

RISUS is too simplistic.

I'd like something more in the vein of Fate or Mutants & Masterminds

Pony on
    edited September 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    Also I have maptools and vent, but I have never used either.

vent is easy
    i have no idea how maptools works though

also i made a human paladin that is rad last night

i have to choose between him, my sorcerer, or my barbarian

Kusuguttai on
    edited September 2009
    Maptools is pretty easy, client-side. Most of the port number and loading problems are on the person running the server. So if they know what they're doing you just need to put in a username, servername, password, and there you go.

EDIT: Also, gonna hop on down to my place of employment and pick up my schedule in a moment.

Marshmallow on
This discussion has been closed.